Johnson Brothers Liquor Co Employee Reviews

Don't work here unless you're a man
Office (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 15, 2018
Only men can grow in this company. I have seen a handful of women promoted. They have a lot of people at the top that have been here for so long and should not be anymore. So many of the departments are falling apart because of poor management and nobody else matters but the family.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
PTO isn't good, only people that get raises are men or are in sales, only men get promoted, poor management
Always Changing, fast paced industry
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJuly 15, 2018
Good introduction into the world of sales. Started as a merchandiser and worked my way to a Sales Rep. Responsibilities increase as you gain experience.
Pros
Benefits, Compensation
Cons
Job Culture, Job Work/Life Balance
Very limited training was provided
File Clerk/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 5, 2018
I was hired to work as an administrative position at the Indianapolis location. I was provided little to no training to learn software that I was not familiar with. I was the only admin. in the office and had little to no help.
I thought I was learning at a good pace and was starting to feel like I was getting the hang of things.
After being employed for only 4 weeks I was let go! I was told it wasn't anything I was doing wrong but it was a "corporate decision"
Please take caution if you are thinking about working here. You will have little to no training and the expectations will be high!
Pros
Warehouse workers were super nice to me
Cons
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MN 55102June 27, 2018
This is a worker friendly atmosphere. You manage your earned time off with Personal Time Off for vacation or sick days. They have an on-sight Health Clinic for you and your family to use. This was one of the best places I've worked and I hated to leave!
Pros
Pto, 401K, Vision, Dental and Health Benefits
Horribly run company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 28, 2018
Where to begin. First off, let me say that I did quit 3 times. But they did hire me back each time, also. I only came back the last time because the pay that was told promised to me by the other job i quit Johnson Brothers for didn't pan out. JB paid me okay, but not enough for what the job entails.
First off, liquor is extremely heavy, so it takes a toll on you. It would help if they gave you a helper everyday, but they don't. I worked out of the Milwaukee division but the routers OUT OF MINNESOTA make the decision if you get help or not for the day! So I have people that have NEVER done any kind of delivery in their lives decide what is good for me and the other drivers and what they feel is best for us. Even though they don't know the city or state of Wisconsin and the details of each drivers' stops. This company doesn't care about any of their workers, all they care about is numbers. They beat you down day in and day out.
And don't you dare do a good job because they will pile more cases and stops on you. The better and more competent of a drone you are the more they punish you with more work. So if you ever get with this company, make sure you're slow and incompetent because the less cases and stops you will get.
And they make sure never to give you a somewhat light day.
The routing is horrendous. You could be on the same route for weeks, have the same stops on but NEVER routed the same.
Inconsistency is a great word to describe this joke of a company.
The routing is all over the place.
Like I said the pay is good, but not good enough for everything they want
  more... you to do for the customer. The company wants you to bend over backwards for them and the customer. And don't make any plans after work, because they want you to give up whatever life you hope to achieve outside of work. Heck, I got denied to get a shorter route so I could make it to my son's fifth grade graduation. Sure it's just fifth grade, but it's a big deal to an 11-year old. But did they care? NO! Because NOTHING is more important than their company and numbers. Want to know why I was denied having a day to get off a little early? BECAUSE THEY DON.T HAVE ENOUGH STAFF!!! THEY CAN'T KEEP PEOPLE!! There's a reason for that, It's horrible!
And don't you dare speak up about any issues you may have about the routing or loading of the truck, they'll just say you're being negative. Can you believe that? NEGATIVE?! Anytime you voice your opinion or suggestions to make things run better and more efficient for yourself and the other drivers they come down on you hard!
I actually got a write-up for being "negative".
And our operations lady is a joke. She never wants to hear any problems and thinks we're all crybabies. Working under her is like how it must be like how the people living in North Korea must feel like, never speak out against your company. THERE WILL BE STRICT PUNISHMENT! Just put on the facade of happiness and that it is the greatest company to work for.
It's Fascism at it's best. And when you think there's a glimmer of hope when one of your own gets promoted and feels your pain and who used to complain about the sames issues and you and your co-workers.......WOW!!!
That changes quickly! It's like the Manchurian Candidate. Brainwashing at it's finest. Towing that company line or else.
As much as the company keeps their head in the clouds, oblivious to the amount of negativity that's coming from drivers, warehouse AND sales, it's out there. They couldn't even keep a seasoned transportation manager six months because he said he'd never worked for a more mismanaged, strange company in his life!
Little Miss Napoleon, who never leaves her office, basically called him a "wimp" for leaving. No, he just had to much common sense for this place.
The managers here are not professional at all.
But the sad thing is that they are always going to think that nothing is broken here.
As long as they can keep hiring managers that they can control and have little dictators running operations it's always going to blow!!
Pros
4 day work week, maybe
Cons
Management, routing, pay for what they want you to do.Llack of staff
Horrible place to work would never recommend it to anyone unless you have no morals or dignity
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 24, 2018
Johnson Brothers Liquor is full of s*t and they do not pay raises to the workers only the managers and if so only.25 nothing more deadend kill your self for nothing modern day slavery job all the way hands down by far the worst place ive ever worked for before.
Pros
Off Friday
Cons
Pay management
To much workload for one person
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 23, 2018
I love Johnson Brothers Liquor company. They have taught me a lot about the Liquor and wine business, but , I have no room for advancement with them. It’s time for me to move on.
Pros
Money isn’t everything
Cons
Overworked
ok
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 30, 2018
This is a delivery job. Hours can be long and the work is very hard on the body. Working in the metro area is nearly impossible to complete in the summer time
Fairly flexible days
Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 5, 2018
Decent place to start your career in sales. You can plan your day your own way based on what accounts need to be seen or job requirements need to be accomplished.
good experience
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 3, 2018
well no experience is a waste in life i gained more and it help me to know how strong i can work and my ability..the pace i worked and how good i can become in future
Good place for experience
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandFebruary 26, 2018
If you are looking to gain warehouse experience that what you get and don’t plan on any promotion because once someone retire that’s your only chance to move up
Pros
Working with nice people
Cons
Management poor, pay bad
Don’t do it
Office (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 24, 2018
First watching someone do their job doesn’t teach you a job. Training was horrible and almost non existent if you didn’t know what you were doing before starting. Some things I was able to just figure out on my own. Organizational skills were non existent among staff. Very disappointed wasted my time trying to work here.
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
Manager didn’t have a clue how to train
Ok for people new to sales.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 17, 2018
Learned a lot about retail and merchandising. too many decisions had to be made at corporate vs store level. Large territory with limited reimbursement.
Pros
Good learning retail
Cons
Management. Compensation
Great Place if you're a white male over 50
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 7, 2018
Very chauvinistic. Women existed to serve as secretarial to the men in charge. Sales people who work here which means they will tell you "Great Job" and then go behind your back to say you weren't doing a good job if it serves their purpose. I quit this place due to the horrible culture and the Boys club.
Pros
People mostly left me alone to do my work
Cons
Boys club, no advancement
management
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 16, 2018
ok company to work for but ok management. not good health benefits.ok pay co worker sometimes be mean. company dont appreciate good workers.they make a typical day at work stressing
and hard.management is a 3 they have low communication at the
company.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
If you need to pay the bills and don't care about anything else, this will get the job done.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 13, 2018
Managers are lazy, clueless, and incompetent. Sales Reps are pretty much the same, but they will push all the blame onto other people. For every OKAY sales rep, there were at least 9 terrible sales reps.

Most of the sales reps were unreliable, so if I needed help with a large wine/liquor load, I didn't even bother calling them because by the time they arrived to help you, you probably could have finished 3-4 stops. Now, let me emphasize this before I move onto other aspects of the company, the Sales Reps were by far the WORST part of this job. If the sales reps were even mediocre, the job would be bearable.

What made the job worse was the fact that the other merchandisers were just as lazy. They would half-a** their stops, not pulling up displays or filling the cold box. Now, this shouldn't have affected me since I was just another merchandiser, right? No. Store managers would often come to me to criticize me for not doing my job properly (even if it was my first time in that store).

Finally, the gas & car maintenance stipend the company provides you is inadequate, so be prepared to lose some money.
Pros
nothing
Cons
job is a stinker. don't bother with it.
Too political, sales reps are lazy and demand the world, management is lacking
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 8, 2018
I regret ever leaving my job before for Johnson Brothers. Management is unhelpful and lacking. Sales reps treat you unfairly and are very lazy but demand the world from you as a merchandiser. I wouldn't recommend working for this company.
review summary
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 30, 2017
the workplace was good, the company had all the money in the world to buy whatever we needed. when i worked there the management was so so. the benefits were awesome. but the hours blow
poor work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IANovember 1, 2017
Poor communication with management, and have you go out of your way to hurt yourself but advance the company name. Always wanted you to do more work after your work fort the day was done.
Overall a good place to work
Head of Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDOctober 23, 2017
Do not have anymore room to move up or learn more skills. Recent changes I see is a waste of money in the areas it was allocated to. There is a lack of communication between management and employees.
Pros
Health care
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnson Brothers Liquor Co. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5