Johnson Controls Employee Reviews

Found 2,895 reviews matching the search See all 4,608 reviews
Featured review
Johnson Controls selected this as a representative review
Great opportunity for advancement
Sales Representative Drove business growth (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 3, 2018
Excellent learning opportunity for anyone considering a career in HVAC sales. Management was supportive, and the learning environment was open and welcome.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Disconnect with operational side of business from sales
Very Good
Lead Integration Architect (Current Employee) –  Glendale, WIAugust 18, 2018
I work here as consultant through LTI. My project is about to end here but have wonderful experience altogether here. Looking forward to work Full Time with Johnson Control but understand that there is legal clause that might not let me work here right now.
Good
HR REPORTING ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 17, 2018
Good place to work.Great opportunities to learn new skills. The pay was really good, the summer hours were great. Love the onsite fitness center which also had classes.
Employed during being acquired by Johnson Controls.
Senior Integrated Systems Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIAugust 17, 2018
The original company I came on board with was Simplex/Grinnell which recruited me to come on board through a agency. The original management team and staff was very good. Six months into my new position we were acquired by Johnson Controls which completely changed the management structure which caused many great employees to seek other opportunities.
Productive and fun place to work.
Shift Supervisor Level III (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 16, 2018
Johnson Controls gave me a lot of opportunity and advancement. They are sensitive to family/work balance and do whatever they can when the need for family attention arises. Great place to work and grow.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Shift work
A lot of hours, low hourly wage
ASSEMBLER II (Current Employee) –  Marinette, WIAugust 15, 2018
The benefits are great if you don't ever go to the doctor. They have a high deductible premium. The pay sucks, starting wage is $13/hour and trying to get to top pay is nearly impossible.

You work a lot. Don't plan on making plans on the weekends as there is always mandatory overtime.

Management, well that's a joke. We go through supervisors like underwear. Our senior operators have so much on their plate it's unbelievable.

If you want to work here fine, but I highly suggest finding a new job.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Healthcare Costs, Way to much mandatory overtime
freedom to move around
HVAC Mechanic/Technician (Former Employee) –  Cranston, RIAugust 14, 2018
would get my work from a general dispatcher always had enough to keep me busy had overtime so there was extra money and the people in the school were easy to work with
Pros
freedom
Cons
on call
A very properous company. A company that cares about the people.
HR Clerk - HR Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cottondale, ALAugust 13, 2018
A typical day at work would consist of attending the pre-shift meeting, recording call-ins, checking points system, sometimes solving issues, filing, putting out the daily company newsletter, updating bulletin board, being present on the production floor.

Manage team worked together to support each other because on night shift we worked with a skeleton crew.

I learned how to be a better listener and to go beyond the duties I was hired to do. That there is always two sides to every story and how to be companionate with people's issues and problem.

We had a diverse work group so people had different need. What worked for one may not work for the other person.

The hardest part of my job was dealing with termination. Having to explain to the person that you are not being terminated for what you did tonight but for the things that lead up to tonight.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my relationship with the team. Helping them solve problem and working together to achieve a common goal and purpose,
Pros
Being there for the Team
Cons
Working Night Shift alone
Noisy, jammed, hard to concentrate
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 13, 2018
The strongly touted open work space is a disaster. Constant distraction even with the sound-baffle system. Made it very difficult to concentrate on highly technical materials.
Pros
None that I can think of right now.
Cons
New offices.
8 hour days were nice
MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 13, 2018
I had certain tasks to perform on certain days of the week. The most enjoyable part of the job was going outside and driving the golf cart to some of my outside duties.
Well run company with a global footprint
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Wallingford, CTAugust 13, 2018
JCI offers a large companies reach with a local touch. The assets available for the account executives to provide to their customers seems almost endless. The emphasis that the company futs on ethics and safety is incredible and refreshing.
Current Employee Security domain
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Norwood, MAAugust 13, 2018
Great work life balance however they really need to change compensation structure. Every security company pays almost double to do the same job. my office lost a lot of good people to competition due to salary issues
Fun place to Work
Drafter II (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJAugust 12, 2018
Fund place to work & Stress free environment. Great support if you want to advance in the company. Flexible using vacation days off and no stress if you need a sick or personal day off due to emergency.
Great people to work with on the floor, but can't trust management.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIAugust 11, 2018
Holland HR & Plant Mgmt make promises and then follow the company line. "We are family"...but not really. JCI has become a shell of what it used to be. All about shareholders and employees come last. Money is decent and the floor folks are great, but the corporate "promises" just aren't worth it.
Pros
Co-workers and money
Cons
Mgmt are corporate shills.
Lots of work & not mindful of family
Control Board Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKAugust 10, 2018
I enjoyed the job and area that I worked in but JCI as a whole is not mindful of family. I was told on numerous occasions that, "this is your life."

Meeting telling us how profitable they are and when they were asked if the employees will get raises out of it the answer was NO. Why, they employees are the ones that help the JCI TEAM profit greatly.

Your opinions do not count and changes can not be made with out act of congress.

Tell you Wednesday that your working Saturday from 5am-1:30pm so you plan life after work for it to only be changed Friday before you leave work stating that your department will work until 3:30 (children's birthday parties missed, didn't get to go to funerals, etc) THEY DON'T CARE.
Pros
You have a job and it's a controlled enviroment
Cons
Not mindful of others
Hard place to work
General Manager in January (Former Employee) –  Nicholasville, KYAugust 10, 2018
This company takes no remorse on someone who gets hurt on the job or is just not strong enough to do certain jobs. There are plenty of methods or other jobs they could move people to, but it is easier to just push them into quieting than to place them into a better position that would be for them.
Stay Busy
Joseph Stump Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 10, 2018
I was always busy and the time went by fast. Great resources for advancement. I recieved recongnition for my hard work. I loved that I had the balance of being able to work from home on my laptop if I had a sick child, I was sick, bad weather.
Pros
Technical
Cons
End of month - long hours
Good Place to work
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Audubon, PAAugust 9, 2018
It was a solid place to work. Some of the expectations can be too large to achieve. I was able to have a flexible schedule which was terrific. All in all i liked my time working for the company.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Unrealistic Expectations
Its a job.
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 9, 2018
Poor management communication. Great people. The environment is hot but they do provide ice machines and water. Lack of advancement is a con. It is all seniority based not qualifications.
Poor Planning
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  McCalla, ALAugust 9, 2018
This plastic injection interiors plant was not a good place to work. They are sold to different companies every couple of years because they cannot plan for their customers and produce sub par products.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Terrible management
Great Place to Work
O & M Planner Scheduler, Facilities (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAAugust 7, 2018
A typical day at work was coming in. Getting breakfast at the Cafe. Always having something interesting to do. Got to travel! Met some great people!
Pros
Great Opportunity to Grow
Cons
Contract positions always end

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnson Controls. Our community is ready to answer.

51.5K
41.6K

Diversity score

66out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Johnson Controls.

Powered by Comparably