Johnson County Kansas Employee Reviews

Excellent Place to be
Interlibrary Loan Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 6, 2018
Johnson County is an excellent place to work for. They truly believe in having a work and life balance. The culture of the organization is amazing along with the management and colleagues.
Great place to work and excellent benefits
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSMay 10, 2018
I work in an environment that is very team oriented and collaborative which is perfect for me. I enjoy what I do and working in public service allows me to feel like I’m making a difference in my community. My team makes me feel valued regularly and my benefits are exceptional. I also feel I am paid comparable to what I could likely get elsewhere.
Pros
Benefits; Team environment; Meaningful work
Cons
My commute
Very stressful
Transportation Officer (Former Employee) –  New Century, KSMarch 10, 2018
It is a very stressful job. Would not tell anyone to work there unless they could handle the stress, especially if they already had high blood pressure. You are working with people right out of jail and you have to drive them around in a 15 passenger van with no barrier between you and them, no weapon, and no guard with you.
in reality, management isn't bad personally
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  olatheFebruary 13, 2018
I had read about a dozen review on GlassDoor that said every little problem or disagreement ends at HR and they're right.

most of your co workers have survived the job by making sure they do nothing and that means that they don't even do their job half the time.

if you come into the interview, you should ask what the job turn over has been. it will keep being like that where they go through half the employees every year.
Pros
easy without much demanded out of you
Cons
bad co workers
This isn’t a place for mid or late career professionals
Facilities (Former Employee) –  Johnson County, KSJanuary 4, 2018
I left JoCo because their culture was poor. Not the culture they were trying to attain, but what was real out in the workforce every day.

I wouldn’t spend a whole career there.

The pay is typically very low for whatever your job description is, but it could be made up for in work life balance. I spent more time per day at JoCo than at my previous job where I made twice as much.

They just fired the county manager this week who was probably the best thing they had going for them, which sparked my writing this review.

Also, I would warn that if I was employed there currently, I would likely be fired for writing this. Virtually every disagreement will wind up with an investigation by HR. Some of the less skilled employees defend their performance by claiming they’re in a hostile environment and turn everything you say against you.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Culture, work hours, employees
Depending on what office you work in
Deputy Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Franklin, INSeptember 18, 2017
Depending on which office you work in. The turnover is political so you never are sure of what is next. Most of the jobs are not considered perminate due to being political your job can change with your boss.
Pros
Time off
Cons
No room for advancement
Would not recommend.
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 9, 2017
I would not recommend working in wastewater. You are held to a higher standard than the team leads that are supposed to train you. You will constantly have fear of losing your job because Human Resources is involved in every single aspect of your job. And don't get me started on the supposed Assistant Director of Operations and Maintenance, he will try to fire you for anything possible.
Benefits
Cons
Too much Human Resources involvement.
loved helping others
Senior Developmental support Professional (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSApril 3, 2017
I managed a group home for developmental disabled. I managed all doctor appointments, medical records and date collection for each individual. I built and maintained web sites for at least 6 houses. I developed a data collection system for medical records so they would not get lost. I worked with others to do eagle scout projects that built planters for the handy capped.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
reported abuse and neglect
Great jumping off point
Correctional Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 20, 2017
Great place to start your career. I left before they lowered the average hiring salary. Your days off stayed the same when I was there, and those most senior got the best days off. Not bad, but not really that good.

Strip searches were not that fun.
Culture not conducive to personal growth or initiative
Executive Assistant Johnson County Government (Current Employee) –  Downtown Olathe, KSJuly 2, 2016
The culture there is outdated and not conducive to personal growth or taking initiative. This seems to be pervasive across the organization.
Pros
Benefits, Work/Home balance
Cons
Environment & Pay

Want to know more about Johnson County Kansas?

Ask a question
I was the Helpdesk for Johnson County Kansas
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  111 S Cherry Street, Olathe, KS 66061October 30, 2015
I enjoyed supporting County employees and got to know them very well. My team were very seperate and did not work together much. I learned a lot while I was with the County and enjoy government work. I came in early and stayed late. I would have liked to advance but it was up to the team and I did not get their full support
Pros
Government job and wonderful customers
Cons
Long drive and an alpha female
Good work enviornment. Management was supportive. Benefits were outstanding.
Custodial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 7, 2015
I believe I developed as a person thanks to my tenure with Johnson County Facilities. For many years I was the lone representative of Facilities Management in the eyes of twenty or so employees being the only supervisor of second shift workers, an experience that facilitated my development in interpersonal skills and leadership. My last five years of service with Johnson County involved a great deal of communication with judicial staff, including District Court Judges. I also had extensive interpersonal dealings with the Courthouse Security Detail of the Johnson County Sheriff's Department, working in conjunction with them on various security and safety related issues when necessary.
Pros
Benefits, job security
Cons
Sometimes felt isolated as the only supervisor on second shift
Government Position
Grant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJune 8, 2015
Learned the public sector and how to work within Federal guidelines. People come to you for answers and turning them away is not an option.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Federal Regulations
Life Balance is the best benefit
Commercial Real Estate Appraiser (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSMarch 4, 2015
You will not get rich working in public service but we get the tools we need, the work is interesting and the work life balance is the best, especially if you are a working parent.
Pros
work life balance and benefits
Cons
limited opportunity for promotion
Shouldn't of left this job
Administrative/Parts Clerk (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KsJanuary 13, 2014
If you can get on with the county don't leave, their benefits are fantastic, and a lot of very nice people work here. It's hard to get advancements only because no-one leaves, you have to wait til they retire. I got bored with my job and wanted more to do, If I had stayed this would of changed, I would of been given more duties. So I thought it was greener on the other side, it's not. My biggest mistake is leaving.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnson County Kansas. Our community is ready to answer.