Johnson Matthey Employee Reviews

Limited opportunities
Quality Control Technician (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PADecember 6, 2018
Very committed to safety and 5S principles, upper management doesn't have very good understanding of nuts and bolts of the work on the production floor and will often ignore the issues brought up by lower management or production workers unless it presents an immediate and direct safety hazard. Very limited opportunities for job advancement, and sometimes hostile environment to work in depending on co-workers moods.
Pros
Free coffee, Large selection of food and drinks for purchase
Cons
Limited opportunities to move up, No access to personal phone, Lack of willingness to correct known issues in timely manner
Its a job man make it work
Chemical operator (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 20, 2018
People work hard for medium wages but excellent benefits. A lot of paid time off . *Great overtime opportunities, you can write your own check. Management trying to bring this place into 21st century. Disgruntled employees stuck in 1985.
Pros
Benefits, vacation time, laid back
Cons
Shift work, Chemical environment
Highly engaged workforce, a company that invests in its people
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Clean AirAugust 17, 2018
Johnson Matthey believes in making people the best they can be to achieve the results through that, rather than being a results driven company. Integrity and company values were always at the forefront of every decision. Each site has a different culture but I have been fortunate to work at a site with a highly engaged culture and management team. Recent changes to the company have started to shift the focus a bit to a more synchronized company with more standards taking away some of the autonomy to make daily impacts on culture. Advancing is difficult if you do not have an Engineering background but the company does offer tuition reimbursement that is very attainable. There are not a lot of levels within the organization, so unless you are willing to relocate, opportunities might be limited. Overall I am very happy to work at Johnson Matthey.
Pros
Autonomy, Culture, Management
Cons
Limited ability to advance
Was run out of the company after 24 years of service
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAAugust 22, 2018
I was a casualty of the lack of experienced management. After devoting 24 years of my life & career to Johnson Matthey, had my position "eliminated" so they could get out of having me retire with full benefit and replace me with an inexperienced (cheaper) supervisor. Up until 5 years ago it was a great company and business to work for, which is why I did for 24 years. I was among 7-8 people with similar tenure situations that were all let go with differing causes but similar situations.
I took the severance package and found a position that values experience and knowledge.
Pros
Stable mature business.
Cons
Management that is primarily interested in self preservation!
Great people, a lot of learning opportunities
Employee (Current Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAJune 7, 2018
Johnson Matthey provided a great learning opportunity. Everyone seems to be expected to wear several hats and your everyday is usually far from your job description. This can be good and bad. The people who work here are great.
Pros
People, culture
Cons
Zero opportunity for advancement, Unrealistic due dates, Too many meetings, Too much turnover with upper management
Cut throat environment
office (Former Employee) –  West Deptford, NJOctober 22, 2018
Not enough people to get the job done. No support from upper management. Just looking at the bottom line. Little room for advancement. company has changed in the last 5 years and not for the better.
Pros
Cons
management
Engineer in North America
Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Deptford, NJJanuary 28, 2018
While a stable company for 200+ years, Johnson Matthey does not value ability and reward merit. Many talented young university graduates left Johnson Matthey due to lack of career advancement and support for professional development, compensation was significantly below average but benefits were great. Management was not admirable and human resources created a very toxic work culture of fear and restriction.
Pros
Benefits, Stability
Cons
Management, Culture, Compensation, Career Advancements
Not impressed
Manager (Current Employee) –  Deptford, NJOctober 29, 2018
I thought joining Johnson Matthey would allow me to help people live better lives. I wasn't aware that I could possibly place my own life in jeopardy due to chemical exposure in the air. Although I wasn't a chemist working in the refinery building are risks that wasn't shared prior to joining the company.
Pros
Cons
Lack of honesty from HR and management.
inexperienced management
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAMay 25, 2018
JM has undergone many changes over the past 2-3 years resulting in management that is inexperienced and lacking people skills. What was once an excellent work place has become a sweat shop with little noticeable value for their people. I have seen many long time employees leave in the past couple years.
Pros
decent benefits, but declining
Cons
never feel comfortable environment
Nice pay and decent people
QC Chemist (Former Employee) –  West Deptford, NJDecember 28, 2018
Expect to work long hours but to also be compensated. They are a huge fan of overtime. Sometimes the workplace is crowded. Your shift schedule is tied to production.
Managment acts like they have no clue whats going on!
Electrical and Instrumentation Technician (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 3, 2018
Manage acts like they dont have a clue whats going on and tries making up the rules as they go. Wasn't to bad of a place to work until they changed management.
Low Morale
Analytical Chemist, Quality Control Lab (Current Employee) –  West Deptford, NJMay 3, 2018
We are not compensated enough for the amount of work expected. There is plenty of room for advancement (if you are close friends with management), with lots of opportunities to learn new things every day.
Excellent place to work
Material Control Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Devon, PASeptember 10, 2018
Incredible company. Looks out for its employees. Very fair. Always doing things to thank their employees. If you have a chance to work here, go for it!
Benefits
Cons
Can't think of one.
Productive fun place to work
Assembly to production planner (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 9, 2018
I started out as a basic assembler. And after 2 weeks became a solderer. I then advanced myself into a rework technician. After I applied for line lead position and got. I ran the line for a few years and a production planner position became available to which I applied and got as well.
Pros
room to grow
Cons
low pay compared to other companies
Strong Culture and support
Accountant (Current Employee) –  West Chester, PANovember 8, 2018
The Work force helps each other when necessary, either on mini projects or covering work for a day. Only downfall is the software for the company is outdated. Currently trying to transition to SAP
Pros
knowledgeable workforce in metal industry
Cons
outdated systems
Not the company it used to be, on its way down....
Director (Former Employee) –  LondonNovember 6, 2017
New CEO only cares about stock price and his career in the company.
Only implements improvements to show to stock holders, no interest on improving the well being of the corporation's employees or business in a long term.
He is not aware of the improvement plans and what is the impact.
No support.
Pros
Insurance, benefits
Cons
Does not feel like a company working together towards a common goal.
maintenance/ Production Supr
Fabricator Erector (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAMarch 1, 2018
Great place to work with great benefits. Does things for employees as well as the kids, Has room for advancement with in the company through out the world if so choice.
Poor environment, training, management, co-workers
Process Controls Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAFebruary 23, 2018
Johnson Matthey was a bad place to work. Management does not understand what occurred on the floor; yelling about odd and arbitrary things. Constantly working long hours in difficult settings practically around the clock.
Good place to work if you are in "The Circle"
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, PAMay 10, 2018
Management only cares about certain people. Morale is very low, employees work there bc the pay is good. Do not apply there unless you are desperate for a job/pay! You will lose years off your life!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not Challenging, Managers/Supervisors don't care about their Employees
Air quality doesnt seem healthy
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  West Deptford, NJApril 26, 2018
I know i work in a chemical plant but I dont think I should be able to see a haze in the air all the time. I have no idea what i am breathing in all day long
Pros
Unlimited overtime, decent benefits
Cons
air quaity and you have to work a lot of overtime to make any money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnson Matthey. Our community is ready to answer.