Johnson Matthey Employee Reviews

Not impressed
Manager (Current Employee) –  Deptford, NJOctober 29, 2018
I thought joining Johnson Matthey would allow me to help people live better lives. I wasn't aware that I could possibly place my own life in jeopardy due to chemical exposure in the air. Although I wasn't a chemist working in the refinery building are risks that wasn't shared prior to joining the company.
Pros
Cons
Lack of honesty from HR and management.
Cut throat environment
office (Former Employee) –  West Deptford, NJOctober 22, 2018
Not enough people to get the job done. No support from upper management. Just looking at the bottom line. Little room for advancement. company has changed in the last 5 years and not for the better.
Pros
Cons
management
Productive fun place to work
Assembly to production planner (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 9, 2018
I started out as a basic assembler. And after 2 weeks became a solderer. I then advanced myself into a rework technician. After I applied for line lead position and got. I ran the line for a few years and a production planner position became available to which I applied and got as well.
Pros
room to grow
Cons
low pay compared to other companies
Excellent place to work
Material Control Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Devon, PASeptember 10, 2018
Incredible company. Looks out for its employees. Very fair. Always doing things to thank their employees. If you have a chance to work here, go for it!
Benefits
Cons
Can't think of one.
Was run out of the company after 24 years of service
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAAugust 22, 2018
I was a casualty of the lack of experienced management. After devoting 24 years of my life & career to Johnson Matthey, had my position "eliminated" so they could get out of having me retire with full benefit and replace me with an inexperienced (cheaper) supervisor. Up until 5 years ago it was a great company and business to work for, which is why I did for 24 years. I was among 7-8 people with similar tenure situations that were all let go with differing causes but similar situations.
I took the severance package and found a position that values experience and knowledge.
Pros
Stable mature business.
Cons
Management that is primarily interested in self preservation!
Highly engaged workforce, a company that invests in its people
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Clean AirAugust 17, 2018
Johnson Matthey believes in making people the best they can be to achieve the results through that, rather than being a results driven company. Integrity and company values were always at the forefront of every decision. Each site has a different culture but I have been fortunate to work at a site with a highly engaged culture and management team. Recent changes to the company have started to shift the focus a bit to a more synchronized company with more standards taking away some of the autonomy to make daily impacts on culture. Advancing is difficult if you do not have an Engineering background but the company does offer tuition reimbursement that is very attainable. There are not a lot of levels within the organization, so unless you are willing to relocate, opportunities might be limited. Overall I am very happy to work at Johnson Matthey.
Pros
Autonomy, Culture, Management
Cons
Limited ability to advance
Very rushed
Batch coat technician (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, PAJuly 18, 2018
They have a lot of work related injuries because people are too rushed. Most often the equipment did not function properly exposing staff to toxic cancer causing agents that were like snow in the air
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Constantly exposed to toxic airbore metal powers
staff turn over is high due to lack of advancement opportunities
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  West Deptford, NJJuly 6, 2018
Not enough training time giving to new staff, before put to work on their own. Security Manager was not a people oriented person. the staff turn over was high and the overall staff moral was low.
Pros
A lot of extra activities for employee team building
Cons
Security excluded from most activities
Great people, a lot of learning opportunities
Employee (Current Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAJune 7, 2018
Johnson Matthey provided a great learning opportunity. Everyone seems to be expected to wear several hats and your everyday is usually far from your job description. This can be good and bad. The people who work here are great.
Pros
People, culture
Cons
Zero opportunity for advancement, Unrealistic due dates, Too many meetings, Too much turnover with upper management
A good place for someone without a degree to grow and advance through hard work.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 1, 2018
People who worked in the field were given a lot of responsibility and autonomy. The harder a person works and learns, the further they will go. Most of Project Managers leading field teams had no college degree.
Pros
Good money for minimum education.
Cons
lots of travel
inexperienced management
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PAMay 25, 2018
JM has undergone many changes over the past 2-3 years resulting in management that is inexperienced and lacking people skills. What was once an excellent work place has become a sweat shop with little noticeable value for their people. I have seen many long time employees leave in the past couple years.
Pros
decent benefits, but declining
Cons
never feel comfortable environment
Racist Management
Worker (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 22, 2018
Management is racist. It is hard being a minority working for that company. Minority workers are treated horribly and management is okay with abusing minority workers.
Good place to work if you are in "The Circle"
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, PAMay 10, 2018
Management only cares about certain people. Morale is very low, employees work there bc the pay is good. Do not apply there unless you are desperate for a job/pay! You will lose years off your life!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not Challenging, Managers/Supervisors don't care about their Employees
Low Morale
Analytical Chemist, Quality Control Lab (Current Employee) –  West Deptford, NJMay 3, 2018
We are not compensated enough for the amount of work expected. There is plenty of room for advancement (if you are close friends with management), with lots of opportunities to learn new things every day.
Air quality doesnt seem healthy
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  West Deptford, NJApril 26, 2018
I know i work in a chemical plant but I dont think I should be able to see a haze in the air all the time. I have no idea what i am breathing in all day long
Pros
Unlimited overtime, decent benefits
Cons
air quaity and you have to work a lot of overtime to make any money
Johnson Matthey Pharma
Accountant (Former Employee) –  West Deptford, NJApril 23, 2018
Johnson Matthey Pharmaceuticals located in south Jersey is a branch of the global Johnson Matthey company. It specializes in the pharmaceutical business of Johnson Matthey Inc. There are opportunities to move around within the company, but in different divisions within the company.
Controls tech
Electronic controls tech (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, PAApril 19, 2018
All they do is lie. They dump every problem on the controls tech. They promote based on how well you suck up not ability or talent. This is a great stepping stone to better things !!!!!
Fun relaxed place to work
Global Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PAApril 12, 2018
Fun relaxed place to work, Fast paced, Normal Monday through Friday work week. Loads of internal training and lots of places to advance within the IT field
Good place to work and learn
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAApril 2, 2018
It's a good company that needs a lot more talent to get going. With so much potential, they need to find out how to do more with what they have. Some departments have great chemistry while others seem to be more cutthroat.
working nicely
Continue as a Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAMarch 27, 2018
typical day work with different process.
i learned too many things which i had never done before, as this is pharma company. workplace culture is enjoyable. i love my work.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
breaks are enough with work down time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnson Matthey. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about