Johnston Community College Employee Reviews

Working at JCC
Carrer and College Promise Liaison (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJanuary 16, 2019
Good experience, pleasant environment, collaborative, always looking for new opportunities for students. I worked there part-time for 10 years and full-time for one year.
Pros
Up-to-date on programs
Cons
N/a
Wonderful
Smithfield - Student (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCNovember 6, 2018
Currently a student, but the teachers all seem to be quite happy. I encourage everyone to go back to school or just maybe pursue teaching, its such a wonderful place.
Overall its a great place to work.
Student/Instructor drops (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJune 27, 2018
On a typical work day in the office, I greet students and answer any questions they may have regarding the college. The best part about working at the college for the past 4 1/2 year, is getting to meet so many different people.
Great
Athletics Game Day Operator (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJune 6, 2018
I learned about the different type jobs to do in the Athletic department. Management was great, they were all clear on everything that had to be done, they were very helpful. The hardest part of the job was that if you weren't used to a fast-paced working environment, you would have to get used to it quick.
Great place
Work Study Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMay 4, 2018
I love JCC and the staff associated with it. There are some things that could use some improvement, but it is the higher positions that need to fix it.
Contract position
Continuing Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCApril 29, 2018
This was a contract position for me. Was able to gain a lot of experience and hands-on training, but there was no advancement opportunity for my position.
Very unorganized
Dot Net Programmer (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCApril 15, 2018
My direct report was to the CTO and he was not present during my one and only interview. This created a disconnect between my perception of my duties and his. Once i did receive actual tasks, there was no single POC. I was receiving directions and instructions from a variety of managers.
Pros
Very friendly and laid-back staff
Cons
Appeared unorganized and unsure of what needed to be done
Good people; long commute; not a lot needing to be done
Systems Programmer (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCApril 10, 2018
typical day at work: fine
learned: don't wanna do ellucian dev work
management: hands-off; relaxed
workplace culture: relaxed
hardest part of the job: modifying the main app
most enjoyable part of job: relaxed management
Absolutely terrible place to work
Dean of Public Safety (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCFebruary 2, 2018
Poor management, constantly under pressure to make money for school. The attitude of employees is miserable, poor morale. A dark place to work and no motivation to do a good job.
Pros
State benefits
Cons
management, hours, morale
Good environment
Adjunct Professor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJanuary 26, 2018
I have nothing to say at this time about the job.I am glad the opportunity was given to me to teach psychology and the students loved my style of teaching. Better organizational skill from upper management needed.
Pros
Teaching experience given
Awesome Place
Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJanuary 9, 2018
Great place to work! The people were wonderful and always pleasant. I learned alot working at Johnston Community college. The management was great. I do miss it !
Productive and Fun place to work.
Administrative Assistant Student Services (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCOctober 19, 2017
Deal with student questions and issues, process transcripts, answer emails and phone calls, handle e-procurements, help students with the application process, finding work projects for our ambassadors and work study. The workplace culture is very laid back and enjoyable.
Pros
Family type atmosphere
Cons
No room for Advancement
productive
Adminitrative Assistant and Front Line (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJuly 13, 2017
go in and open store
take orders
management was scatter brained
culture was very diverse
having to make sure we had all the books
mingling with people
A typical day of work
Equipment Audit Technician (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMay 30, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to see new people everyday and finding out something interesting about them. I like being able to bring happiness to others with fulfilling my duties of delivering packages and furniture,
Family environment, great group of people to work with
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMay 15, 2017
I enjoy working at JCC because I am able to give back to the community and students what I learned from the faulty and staff at JCC.I’m fortunate to have a pretty positive working relationship. I know I am appreciated for the work I do and this obviously helps to motivate me and to strive to achieve my very best.
Pros
Quite
Cons
Late nights
Master Educator (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCApril 19, 2017
This institution is a good place to work. However, if you are not a permanent employee you don't receive the insurance even if you are working the same number of hours as the others in your department.
Benefits
Cons
No benefits
Communication
Human Resource Development Instructor (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCApril 10, 2017
Professional communication is not extended to adjunct instructor, The typical work day is not stressful. Additional training could be offered by the college.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No room for advancement
Elected Position
College Diversity Club Secretary (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCFebruary 4, 2017
I was elected, unopposed, as secretary of the Diversity Club. Our goal was to promote tolerance and intelligent discussions on diversity.
Lab Assistant
Adcaemic Skills Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCNovember 14, 2016
Great job, very diverse
This employer hires a mixture of American citizens.
They care about education and making sure that all students and staff are provided an equal opportunity to excel.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Part-time
Middle of the Road
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCSeptember 25, 2016
While I enjoy the overall mission of my job and would call myself 'passionate', I feel that my passion of educating and high standards are in vain here. Students are very much held to the standards of a vocational school rather than an institution of higher learning. Management is very heavy on the 'student is always right' philosophy which is typically far from the truth. There's also an inordinate amount of redundant paperwork making simple processes incredibly complex.
Pros
Pay
Cons
'Benefits', 'Support'