Johnston County Public Schools Employee Reviews

If you have more than a HS education, don't appy!
Nutrition Assistant (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCSeptember 1, 2019
If you apply for an office job (bookkeeper, secretary, office support, data manager, etc.), you can hang it up because more than likely you are over qualified and have more education than 98% of the office staff excluding the principal and assistant principal. You will not get an office position unless you are buddies with someone in the horrible Administration or Human Resources Department. You can't have more education or experience because you will be intimidating in their eyes. Nor will you get a call for an interview or get your transfer request acknowledged. On the hand if you apply for a manual labor job such as child nutrition or custodial they with hire you in a heartbeat because the turnover is very high and the pay is horrible. Unemployment pay is greater than what the pay is for these types of manual labor jobs. In addition you only get paid once a month and no pay at all during the summer when school is out.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Pay, administration, managers, work ethics
Great opportunity to work with many different levels of employees/staff members
Family and Community Involvement Assistant (Current Employee) –  South Johnston Schools AreaJuly 15, 2019
Working in the schools system has provided for me a great deal of learning on how to work with all employees, from the Superintendent to the Custodians, as well as with all types of families that are served by the system. I enjoy deeply every learning experience everybody gives me even when they don't know they are teaching me something. Hardest part is of the job is having to be the messenger of bad news. Salary could be improved.
Pros
Excellent schedule to work with when having young kids.
Great System
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMay 26, 2019
Johnston County Schools is a great system to work in. My wife and I both work here, and we appreciate the quality work environment! Great staffing, compensation, and growth!
Not perfect, but better than many school systems
Middle School Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMay 1, 2019
JCPS isn't immune to the issues facing most public school systems today, but I still have a lot of respect for the work they are doing. District staff are committed to innovation, doing things better, building relationships. The school board unfortunately fights against many initiatives, but they are making progress.
Pros
Relationships, support for family/personal life
Cons
Education is a tough business no matter where you are
Gained alot of work experience.
Transportation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Transportation ServicesMarch 5, 2019
Great people working for Johnston County. I gained a lot of experience both business and social. I believe a lot can be gained by having leaders in place that help employees advance and be the the best they can be. I would recommend Johnston County Public Schools to anyone looking to gain experience in public service.
Pros
Great co-workers, giving back to the community feeling.
Cons
Need more leaders in place that make things happen, listen to there employees, and helps to problem solve.
Great Opportunity for a mom
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Garner, NCSeptember 27, 2018
My substitute position with Johnston County Schools has been and continues to be amazing. The work life balance is what drew me to the position as I have to young children in the school system. It is both fun and educational even to me to have the opportunity to work with the young minds and to help shape and mold them as young people. The hours and pay are wonderful for someone like myself who wants to work but still be available and active in my childrens lives.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
No consistent work
Johnston County Schools is a nice place to work.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCAugust 28, 2018
I have been a substitute teacher for 20 years since my children have been in school which has been extremely convenient. I love working with the children and have learned many valuable lessons while teaching in different classrooms each day. The workplace culture is relaxed yet projects a strong sense of business and family combined. The hardest part of the job is learning so many heartbreaking stories from students who struggle with different life challenges. The most enjoyable part is just being there for the students and letting them know how much they are valued and appreciated.
Pros
working with the children
Cons
time for bathroom breaks
Classroom atmospheres vary, I was lucky to work under a kind and enthusiastic teacher.
AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Clayton, NCAugust 2, 2018
Class sizes were small, so I was able to focus on each student more in depth. All materials were provided for me. Teaching is a very different position from tutoring, so do not use my review to predict the requirements of teaching.
Pros
State employee, flexible work hours
Cons
No authority, must rely on teacher
Meetings with teachers and parents
Family/Community Engagement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJuly 31, 2018
Enjoy my coworkers and the staff I work with at the schools. Pay is not comparable to the work performed, because not everyone is bilingual to do job.
Pros
Great people to work with/doesn't feel like work
Cons
Pay is way below where it should be for the work done
Good School System
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Clayton, NCApril 23, 2018
I picked one school and made connections to almost all teachers and administration. I worked almost everyday. It is a great school system with great student, teachers, support staff, and administers. It is low pay for the amount of time and effort you put in.
Pros
Great relationships and support
Cons
Low pay
Non-certified personnel forced into extra duties
Bus Driver/Custodian/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland area schoolsMarch 2, 2018
JCPS has a policy that even if you work 40 hours as a secretary or custodian you MUST fill in for absent bus drivers...and you will not be compensated with OT for the extra duty. You will be issued an extra paycheck....in other words the system can force you to work 50-80 hours a week and none of that, NONE OF IT, will be at time and a half. So you loose an entire workweek, away form your family, and you have no extra $$$ for your efforts.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Awful hours, no OT pay and thankless job, no perks
Some of the best managers
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCFebruary 6, 2018
The workplace culture is relaxed, but we get our jobs done and do it with passion and pride. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with administration at the schools we service, and working daily with a great, honest, caring group of individuals. The hardest part of the job is doing what you love, but not getting paid as much as you should.
Pros
Free parking, Great benefits
Cons
Inequitable pay
subbing
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Johnston County, NCJanuary 16, 2018
N/a
I really appreciate the hours as a substitute teacher. it allows me flexibility to achieve other goals that i have. im planning an academy and i love planning for it.
N/a
Bus Operator/Teacher Aid (Current Employee) –  Clayton, NCJanuary 13, 2018
A typical day at this job is so fulfilling. I have car duty in the mornings, so I get to see the kids as they get to school. I love to make them feel good. When I get to class, I see all these smiling faces that warm my heart.
Fast pace
MATH TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Micro, NCSeptember 26, 2017
JCS is a great place to work. The staff is very supportive and willing to meet the needs of its employees. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Johnston County Schools.
Jobs Of YOUR Dreams
Child Nutrition Assistant/Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMarch 25, 2017
All of these jobs that I've worked have been quite AMAZING! The staff and facility are great. They treat you with respect. The job itself are a healthy and safe environment.
Rewarding Work
Exceptional Children's Teacher (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCNovember 8, 2016
Put your education and training to work in providing education to special needs students and their families. It is professionally and personally rewarding.