Johnston Health Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Johnston Health is very biased and they do not follow their own policies.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJune 7, 2018
The management team interprets the policy as they see fit and to meet their need. The department had been restructured 3 times in the last 2 years. Our hours were changed, we went from being a M-F department to being expected to work holidays and weekends without compensation.
Pros
fellow employees
Cons
management
I enjoyed the work and the people I worked with
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMarch 22, 2018
My typical day was going in and start answering call from patients and doctors and assisting them both. I learned each day you come in contact with many different cultures. Hardest part of the job was when having to work long hours and at times by yourself. The most enjoyable part was coming in and knowing you had good people to work with
Pros
security
Cons
hours
Productive and caring coworkers and management
Patient Registrar (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCFebruary 16, 2018
Management and coworkers all worked together to make sure work was fun and manageable in a very stressful environment. Everyone was close like a family so if you ever worked on holidays then you still felt like you were spending it with your family.
Pros
If you worked on holidays management always made sure you got gifts or did not miss a holiday meal.
Cons
Sometimes worked on holidays.
Johnston Health is a great place to work.
GYM CHILDCARE ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJanuary 25, 2018
Johnston Health is a great place to work. The people are nice and the environment is very calm and productive. I love They are very clean there. I've never seen anything nasty there. If you work there long enough it starts to feel like family than just your coworkers.
Good for a new grad
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCDecember 29, 2017
The pay and benefits are very good, and many of the employees are strong team players. Management plays favorites and this hurts morale. Busy lab with lots of potential.
workpalce culture
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCDecember 12, 2017
Productive and good people to work with. The workplace has really grown over the years. I think that leaves room for advancement. The environment is a clean and safe place to work.
fun
Cook,Lead Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCNovember 1, 2017
it was a good place to work at friendly people and staff was great . You should apply . Great place to work. Yo will have fun always smiling, pay is good
Poor management in Registration
Patient Access Registrar (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCOctober 14, 2017
I work in the emergency department here. The coworkers are amazing and the pay is good, but the management in this department is terrible. There is a huge deal of favoritism with certain employees, and if you aren't a favorite, you are not liked by our manager. She is very inconsiderate of your needs as an employee and will harass you to get what she wants.
Pros
Compensation, great coworkers
Cons
A typical day and management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCSeptember 28, 2017
A typical day includes hand-off reports, initiation/administration of medications/blood products, shadowing more experienced nurses during unfamiliar tasks/procedures, acknowledging/carrying out physicians orders, collaboration with other members of the healthcare team, and timely/accurate documentation. I greatly enjoyed working with the other nurses and I was able to learn and observe so much. This is a good place to start, but NOT a good place to stay.

The management was terrible. It would take days, and sometimes a week or more, to receive a reply to an email/phone call. There was little to no interaction between management and those who worked on night-shift. Job positions were threatened based on nothing more than hear-say. Management possessed a hostile and threatening demeanor and did not show necessary qualities that one would expect such as flexibility, logical/rational thinking, fairness, equal treatment of employees, or maintaining a calm/collected manner during times of stress. Management showed poor ability to separate between what was personal and what was professional by often taking out stress/frustrations on employees with little to no provocation.
Pros
Competitive pay/benefits
Official response from Johnston Health
October 2, 2017

Thank you for making us aware. We are sorry you had that experience. As a former employee, you are invited and encouraged to request an exit interview with our HR department and allow us the opportunity to learn more about your concerns. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Great Plance to Work
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCAugust 28, 2017
Great place to work, excellent benefits and pay. This company provide tuition reimbursement, employee discounts, competitive pay and benefits package. Great work environment!
Horrible place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJune 27, 2017
The coworker's are overall amazing. The management, or lack thereof; is pathetic and HR does not mind stealing money from your paychecks for no reason then refusing to fix it. I would really recommend working ANYWHERE but here. They do not care about their employees and overwork every one of them.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management, poor HR department
Always learning something different everyday.
Registrar - Emergency Room (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJune 6, 2017
You never know what will come into the emergency room so it is always interesting to see what you get to work with while learning everyday. It is also a positive that my supervisor is fantastic. The hardest part of the job is also the most enjoyable, with not knowing what you will deal with next. Sometimes that is the best part of the day and the worst part. A typical day in this job is providing patient care, obtaining and recording patient demographics and insurance information, and collecting payments towards hospital accounts.
Pros
Choose my own schedule
Cons
Not as much pay as other locations nearby
good place
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Clayton, NCApril 18, 2017
good place to work and good benefits. People are friendly and management is fair. I would stay employed here for the foreseeable future. Thank you!!!!!
typical day at work
CNA (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJanuary 24, 2017
I worked night shift. I was a CNA and a secretary. When I first got to the floor I had to get everyone's vitals and write them down. I would do vitals every 4 hours. I would change patients and get them anything they needed. As a secretary I had to answer phones, put in orders from the doctors, make a chart for new patients and put there information in the computer. The hardest part about the job was getting use to being up at night and sleeping during the day.
Community feel for a growing hospital system
RN (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCDecember 15, 2016
The best part of this place is the people that you work with . Almost all are very friendly and helpful. They always put the patient first. Mangers let you self-schedule for the most part (gotta be flexible somewhat). The hardest part of the job is the 12 hour shifts, but that's pretty standard in nursing. Besides the satisfaction with caring for patient's, the best part of the day is the relationships I have with coworkers...they are great. The pay is pretty good...maybe not the best but I started out making more than what I was offered at a much larger hospital in the area.
Pros
You have lots of opportunities to try different areas of patient care..ICU, Pacu, Cardiac, Ed.
Cons
Lots of changes...mostly good though... with the UNC affiliation.
Case Management of 7-10 Surgical/Ortho patients
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCAugust 4, 2016
Overall good place to work but new nurses need more training on day shift to understand documentation and floor layout. Need more training on protocols.
Medical enviroment with small town feel
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJuly 23, 2016
Coworkers were very supportive and respectful of one another. Fast paced medical environment with team members who attempted to provided excellent patient care.
Fair place to work
Family Nurse Practitioner-Board Certified (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCOctober 26, 2015
Great nurses..Ok management.. Fun atmosphere. Cafeteria provides nutritious meals. Hardest part of job is not having adequate tools to work with
Efficient place to work
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Clayton, NCOctober 23, 2015
Johnston Health Clayton emergency department is like most ER's in the nation, it can vary from day to day. Some days are steady and you can work in a calm and timely manner. However there are days that can be overwhelming due to the amount of patients, EMS, and patient admissions that can occur all at once. As a patient access representative, you are responsible for making sure the patients information is up to date. You are also responsible for making sure insurance is verified and any information concerning financial assistance or payment options are given to the patient prior to their discharge. The staff at Johnston Health are helpful and informative. They will help you when and if you ask.
Great co-workers
Registered Nurse (Med-Surg/Peds) 36hr/week (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJuly 27, 2015
I love the people I work with. The nursing staff and manager are amazing and great to work with. The acuity of the patients need to be taken into consideration when making the shift assignments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnston Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Johnston Health Reviews by Location