Johnston Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Lack of teamwork; poor management.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Abingdon, VAMarch 30, 2019
Lack of teamwork; poor work environment with a lot of gossiping and untrustworthiness. Lack of management experience on the floor. Corporate does not care about employees. Poor pay.
Pros
self-scheduling
Cons
poor teamwork, low pay, poor management
Conductive to individual patient work
Clinical Instructor Tracy Davis (Former Employee) –  Smithfield NCJanuary 21, 2019
High rate of patient success. Worked as part of a team. Given flexibility and input into patient care plans and opinions respected and addressed. The hardest part of the job was "winning over" patients who had little to no success with previous therapy programs. My greatest satisfaction was inn seeing them reach and exceed their goals.
Pros
flexibility and teamwork
Never ever ever Go to work here or be a patient
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJanuary 8, 2019
This was the worst place to work hands down. Low pay, no training and back stabbing people. Nice to your face, but will talk about you behind your back. Run the other way! I wouldn't even go here as a patient you're not sure you're getting the right medicine or you might even die here.
Volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VANovember 19, 2018
half of there non medical employees or are volunteers especially for the doctors offices they have with in the hospital only have one patient rep that could actually check inn the patients.
Pros
discounted lunch
Productive but short of nurses on units.
BSN RN (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VANovember 2, 2018
Typical day is being very busy and rushed to have the patients ready for surgery at least 1-2 hours before their surgery time. Management shows no concern for their employees working short handed. Employees most of the time only stay for a short time and then leave after they had some experience working . You can have fun working, but management frowns upon it.
Pros
Cons
No breaks offered and sometimes no lunch time available
I was very comfortable with the work I did at JMH.
Staff Nurse and PRN house supervisor (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VAAugust 2, 2018
I worked for JMH prior to the affiliation with Mountain States Health. At that time it was a comfortable place to work. I was given the opportunity to apply for various jobs in different situations. Management was approachable at all times. I found all positions rewarding and challenging.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
They put their nurses out to pasture due to age without regard to abilities.
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCJuly 19, 2018
Immediate supervisor is great and really values her employees. You are always in the know about things that are going on in the hospital. Department is nicely staffed, and manager willing to help cover if needed.
worked prn-nice place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VAMay 1, 2018
Worked only one day a week in the newborn nursery. Manager was excellent. I was able to continue my love of OB nursing and assisting new mothers to breastfeed while caring for my own child.
Pros
hours
Cons
staff snobby
Stressful job
Oncology department staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VAMarch 11, 2018
Oncology job is stressful and depressing because nurse has to deal with life and death issues on daily base. Oncological patients are probably the best patients I ever had, but it was sad seeing them coming back, coming back....until cancer kills them.
Pros
excellent learning experience and advanced skills
Cons
stress and depression
Quick paced and good conditions
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VA 24211September 27, 2017
JMH was a very good place to work. The pharmacy staff was friendly and willing to help with anything. They would help you learn something if you were having trouble. It was a very good place to work and I enjoyed it, most of the time.
Pros
Enjoyable work place, room for advancement.
Cons
My last manager, in my opinion, was over too many pharmacies
Very political, favoritism in departments and employees. High workload but still cut hours.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VASeptember 12, 2017
Very political and bleeds favoritism.
They said there would not be many changes when MSHA took over, followed by layoffs, cut hours, etc. Promised bonuses if financial goals met. Gave smaller raises, (said they had no money,) Backed out on bonus. Then anounced record profits that year. Many, many lies. Was "made" to sign a paper stating we would not speak negativity about Mountain Sates Health Alliance in any way. They fired all the old dept heads and brought in all their ppl. There was an air of distrust between managemet and staff. It grew into a divide and conquer atmosphere. Buy the way....Johnston Memoral Hospital is only located in Abingdon Va. All reviews in other towns are false. I would never work there ever. If you have tough skin and take it in stride but can keep your mouth shut, you can work here...
Pros
Great staff, Coworkers are caring despite the rug pulled out from under them.
Cons
Stressors, management, suckups, lack of training and time to do a proper job.
The worst place I have ever worked
RN (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VASeptember 6, 2017
This by far is the worst place I have ever been employed. From day 1 it was a nightmare. Poor management, no attempt to train you, you are on your own, it was a revolving door. I was there 7 months and I counted 14 people who left my dept during those 7 months. Horrible.
Travel Med Surg RN (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VASeptember 6, 2017
Units are well organized. People are nice. Manager really worked with me and my schedule. I wish this hospital was located in my city. I would definitely work here!
Nice place to work till merger with Mountain States
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VAAugust 31, 2017
Great place to work till taken over by Mountain States. As soon as merger was complete,layoffs started. Johnston Memorial had never had layoffs untill that time. At the mercy of the HR VP who didn't know what was going on, and made cuts without taking time to be informed.
Pros
Benefits, nice people
Cons
No job security
Circulator, Scrub Nurse and Recovery Room Nurse (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VAAugust 14, 2017
Expected lots out of their employees and expected you to learn fast and everything. Great place to grow and great wages. Great place for advancement and learning. Different types of patients and loved the job. Not good management at times.
Pros
Advancement and salaries
Cons
Fast learning expectations
Great benefits package,Prejudice embedded in the organization
Cash Applications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Smithfield, NCAugust 6, 2017
Worked at Johnston for nearly 14 years, purposely looked over for advancement opportunity the only reason I could see was the color of my skin, non minorities where brought in on a higher pay scale than the majority. I cannot refer anyone to johnston for a career move,
Pros
discounts and good benefits package
Cons
Management Styles and Diversity Training
Work Day
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMay 25, 2017
Working at JMH has been a great experience and overall has extended my knowledge of the healthcare system and how to effectively work hard to help others.
Pros
Payroll deduction lunches and Medsupply
Cons
Short breaks, not enough help
Love my hospital
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCMay 22, 2017
I work at a 10 line switchboard, paging and calling doctors, helping staff for the hospital and the people in the community.I make the schedule for the department and work one on one with the manager.
Pros
working with people
Cons
short staffed
Great Work Enviroment
Certified Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VAApril 19, 2017
Great work environment but long hours and hardly no breaks. Very fast pace and you have to pay attention all the time. But I love my co-workers and also all staff was very helpful
good work environment
housekeeping and transporter (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, VAFebruary 11, 2017
It was a fairly good job. Had awesome people to work with. Not over demanding or stressful work. No one over your shoulder all the time pushing you. All in all a very satisfactory job.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
health benefits were pretty expensive