JoS. A Bank Employee Reviews

Good work. good people
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 19, 2018
Good company to work for. meet new people every day. Fun to help men learn fashion and dress up to date. Hours for retail are ok. Management is very worried about small metrics. Really want to improve the "Quality" of our sales. Lots of Money can be made if you put your mind to it.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Constant sale changes
Perfect for High School or College students, even Retirees, NOT as a career. Here is why:
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 10, 2018
I'd like to preface this by saying I recently stepped down from assistant manager II to a regular sales due being a college student.

The Sales Assistant:
I joined Jos. A. Bank my senior year of high school as a Sales Assistant expecting it to be an okay starting point to the work environment. My co-workers were fun and the job was pretty easy. I was outgoing and a hard worker so I had no trouble fitting in and working with customers. However while my friends were over at Starbucks making $15/hr with college scholarship benefits, I was at Jos. A. Bank making $8.50/hr and no benefits (back in 2017). Currently as of 2018 the position is now going for around $10/hr to 12/hr if your lucky with no benefit and is STILL not up to par with most other companies for the work you do.

The Assistant Manager II:
Most will call this title "the 3rd key". After a few months of learning the material (as a SA) and showing promise one particular store in my region was doing particularly bad and needed a 3rd key. My manager told me about it and I accepted the challenge. Going in with no prior sales training and no management training I was hired in at 5.75/hr plus commission (I believed this to be atrocious for a manager pay and pushed for $6.00 but I was assured that this was the best starting rate for my position.) I'm not sure about other stores, but at this particular store I did all the work. Although I was 3rd key I handled issues that the store manager should have dealt with, and pretty much ran the store aside from making the schedule. (Though this was likely just my store)

more...
The Sales Executive (Regular commission sales):
As I stated previously I recently stepped down due to college and the only thing that has changed is my pay. I am payed $5/hr plus commission. I do basically the same thing to spite my store bringing in another manager to take over my position. There is nothing special about this position. Expect a lot of headache as this position, especially if you are part time. I find that I often will get my commission messed over by another sales. This is detramental to me because of the fact that I am part time and trying to make a pay check, I don't feel that I need to fight for sales with elderly men that don't understand the fundamentals of our P.O.S. system (our checkout system)

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Jos. A. Bank is perfect for people who need FLEXIBILITY in their schedules.
The ideal person to manage and work in this industry (KEEPING IN MIND HOW MUCH THEY PAY) are young kids in high school to college kids. This is also a perfect job for retirees.
Due to the low pay range and allowable flexibility it is perfect for high/college students and can be used as a good opportunity to make connections and to move out of the industry.
If you want Jos. A. Bank to be your final end all be all, DO NOT settle for just Store Manager, their pay ranges from $15-25/hr and they only make 3% commission (+bounuses). Climb that Corp. ladder! Get up there! Then you have a shot at being on par with the rest of the jobs out there.
Pros
Flexible schedules, good for college/highschool kids, fun
Cons
Really bad pay, uncaring management, no benefits, rarely promoted
Fun work environment
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 6, 2018
Great company for teamwork, team selling and team projects. Policies are constantly changing and more people get hired from outside rather than promoted from within. Compensation is not the best and commission is hard to achieve unless it's a holiday.
Pros
Great management
Cons
scheduling
Laidback Work Environment Focused on Delivering Excellent Fit and Service
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 5, 2018
I loved working for Joseph A. Bank. The store I worked in had good people that were fun to work with. Management was lackluster, but our store managed to perform regardless.
Pros
generous discount on clothes, laid back work environment
Cons
Pay
helped men find shirts, shoes, and suits.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 2, 2018
A typical day involved selling suits, shoes, and shirts. Measuring out cuffs for pants-helping customers choose business outfits. Offering advice and information about sales to help make customers make a decision clearly.
No real advancement opportunity
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 26, 2018
Not very acceptable pay for living. Definitely not for a family man. Being retail, holiday was hard to see family having no real time off. I was just looking to better advance myself with knowledge and salary
First Employer
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSSeptember 24, 2018
Great first place to work at. I started as part time and quickly moved to full time. The three years I worked for the company, I learned a lot about communication, fitting, marketing, and personal relationships between other employees. I became an expert when operating systems and tailoring steps.
not a career
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GASeptember 23, 2018
My Manager was great he always asks us for needs to do the schedules, he helped us have time for all our home life, the store was up and down for sales, I think for the area not management, but we never had enough people to work but our customers loved us, I think once Mens Warehouse completes the take over it will be a mess.
Pros
Great Managers
Cons
too few people in store not safe
Loved this job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNSeptember 20, 2018
I worked for the company along time was very pleased with my promotion rate ! I loved being a part of the family we had in my location It’s sad that the business closed but I would definitely still be there if it hadn’t
I enjoy the quality of Jos A Bank clientele
Manager/lead sales in Midland store (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 18, 2018
i enjoyed managing the store in Midland and helped it to a $1Mil store. I had to step down from management but became top salesman and sold $450k at 7%. The manager they brought in was from New Jersey he hated being there and the customers hated him. I left after defending a customer to him. DRM offered and I left.
Pros
great clothing discounts, reasonable compensation
Cons
hiring people because they became desperate even though they weren't a fit.
It's a job...not a career
Certified Custom Fit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Severna Park, MDSeptember 18, 2018
It's a job...not a career. Many times, the customer sale was better than the employee discount. It was discouraging to know that the employees really had to save and plan in order to afford the clothing even with the employee discount. Also, management would often compete with employees for sales. Store Managers were paid a salary and many would still compete with their employees who are paid $5/hour unless they sell something.
Pros
Shoe Discount; Custom Clothing Discount
Cons
Low Pay, Working every weekend and most holidays
Good People
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 13, 2018
Was a great place to work until company was bought out by Mens Wearhouse. The prior management was better the clothing line was amazing then. Now is not the quality it used to be.
Pros
Pay and Commission
Cons
Mens Wearhouse
Productive workplace. With several venues for making commission
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Rapidly evolving company with new programs for sales. Including, Custom clothing in suits, pants shirts etc., capability of earning commission thru sales to customers on Josabank website. Management really focused on numbers for achievement. Excellent training by management staff to achieve growth numbers and commission.
Pros
Excellent working environment with opportunity for advancement
Cons
Not much opportunity for personal and family time
Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampstead, MDSeptember 11, 2018
This is a company trying to survive with heavy debt. Sr. management has changed. It has been a merchant driven company with weak operarting officers.
working there was a good experience
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 8, 2018
my experience working there was awesome!!! they welcomed me with open arms (figuratively). I had learned aot about fashion and also about color coordinating.
Pros
seminars, firiendly staff, special events
I was the Manager of a store
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYSeptember 5, 2018
My bosses were very awesome. Left because I was given another job for less hours but equal pay. When I was the manager, I made sure that my workers were happy in the environment they were working in.
Pros
Cons
worked hours
Okay
HR Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Hampstead, MDSeptember 5, 2018
It was an okay atmosphere. I never felt integrated into their corporate culture. A typical day included phone interviews, sourcing candidates or extending job offers.
I hated this job
Sales (Former Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GASeptember 4, 2018
My time at Jos Bank was not the best. I didn't like managemnet nor two of my co-workers. Sales were taken from me and I always had to work the closing shift I didn't mid it a few times but always closing when you don't have car and you had to ride public transportation was kind hard tiring.
Sales driven and very competitive yet friendly work atmosphere
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 3, 2018
A regular work day at Jos A. Bank consists of receiving customer orders, shipping and calling those customers. Pulling orders for other stores using the ipad throughout the day. Selling merchandise to customers, fitting customers in the proper size and marking garments for alterations. I would attend to any or all of my wedding party needs, organizing, and managing the party. As well as creating multiple outfits and new ways for someone to wear certain items with accessorizing. I would also take in new inventory and stock it into the appropriate spot, and scan out old inventory to ship out of the store. I create the outfits for our manikins in the store, along with rearranging the furnishings and merchandise for new outlooks. The management here is inconsistent and the communication could improve for the employees sake. Along with the workplace culture as a whole. There needs to be less "all for one" and more "one for all". The hardest part of this job was to adapt to the constant regulation changes. What I enjoy most about this job is working with customers. Here you get to really talk and create a relationship with them. Whether your helping them find the suits for their wedding, or your helping someone find a suit for a funeral. You get to talk to your customers on a personal level, and this is where I strive. I am a people person, and have received many excellent customer reviews.
Pros
401k, health and dental insurance, paid vacation sick and floating holiday time
Cons
short breaks, inequality
Good for entry level sales.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 3, 2018
This was a nice place to work. If the company had offered a better pay scale for employees that had previous experience working in the men's clothing field, I would have worked there longer.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Low wages.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JoS. A Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

1.8InHerSight Score

1.4Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight