JoS. A Bank Employee Reviews

Not Good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport, RIJanuary 15, 2019
When I worked at Joseph A Banks as a Sales Assistant I thought that it was right up my alley. Well, I was wrong... I was never trained properly by my manager. He was very condescending to me and whenever I had questions about things he made me look like I was an idiot. I started to quickly regret wanting to come into work especially if my manager and I were the only two that would be working that day. I received very little to no appreciation of working at Joseph A Banks. However, the Assistant Manager who is now the manager of the store was always very understanding and had a great personality. He always made sure I was doing okay and making sure I wasn't having any problems.
Serious & somber work environment
Tailor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 26, 2018
management was very sweet, but you clock in go to work focus on work, take break ,go back to work focus on work, clock out. BEST PART OF JOB!!! People here are not very chatty, or friendly. They were all about self, not how can I help you, unless you are a wealthy customer ready to spend a bunch of money. IF you are hoping for quick advancement I don't recommend working here.
Pros
It's a job, that pays you money.
Cons
People were distant and not very welcoming.
culture shift
Selling Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 19, 2018
I left the company shortly after their merger with Men's Warehouse. The merger shifted the culture to one that promoted only the revenue interests of the company and none for the individual. Everything that could be done to stifle the individuals ability to grow a book of business and keep clients was done. With that the ability to move upward was also limited. I could not remain with the company in good conscience.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
limited income potential
Stessful place to work with all the nonsense they peddle
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MONovember 11, 2018
Company only takes care of its employees when it wants to. Company only cares about sales and nothing else . Company thrives on personal favoritism . They talk high standards but mostly do not deliver what they are saying. Great products but sub standard operation in how they treat employees ...mens warehouse metality. Which is unfortunate
Pros
Great product
Cons
Treats employees disrespectfully
Na
Manager/Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJ 07652November 1, 2018
Ask for more
One fundamental rule of salary negotiation is to give the employer a slightly higher number than your goal. This way, if they negotiate down, you’ll still end up with a salary offer you feel comfortable accepting. If you provide a salary range, the employer will likely err on the lower end, so be sure the lowest number you provide is still an amount you feel is fair.
I enjoy the quality of Jos A Bank clientele
Manager/lead sales in Midland store (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 18, 2018
i enjoyed managing the store in Midland and helped it to a $1Mil store. I had to step down from management but became top salesman and sold $450k at 7%. The manager they brought in was from New Jersey he hated being there and the customers hated him. I left after defending a customer to him. DRM offered and I left.
Pros
great clothing discounts, reasonable compensation
Cons
hiring people because they became desperate even though they weren't a fit.
It's a job...not a career
Certified Custom Fit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Severna Park, MDSeptember 18, 2018
It's a job...not a career. Many times, the customer sale was better than the employee discount. It was discouraging to know that the employees really had to save and plan in order to afford the clothing even with the employee discount. Also, management would often compete with employees for sales. Store Managers were paid a salary and many would still compete with their employees who are paid $5/hour unless they sell something.
Pros
Shoe Discount; Custom Clothing Discount
Cons
Low Pay, Working every weekend and most holidays
Productive workplace. With several venues for making commission
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Rapidly evolving company with new programs for sales. Including, Custom clothing in suits, pants shirts etc., capability of earning commission thru sales to customers on Josabank website. Management really focused on numbers for achievement. Excellent training by management staff to achieve growth numbers and commission.
Pros
Excellent working environment with opportunity for advancement
Cons
Not much opportunity for personal and family time
not a career
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GASeptember 23, 2018
My Manager was great he always asks us for needs to do the schedules, he helped us have time for all our home life, the store was up and down for sales, I think for the area not management, but we never had enough people to work but our customers loved us, I think once Mens Warehouse completes the take over it will be a mess.
Pros
Great Managers
Cons
too few people in store not safe
Good work. good people
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 19, 2018
Good company to work for. meet new people every day. Fun to help men learn fashion and dress up to date. Hours for retail are ok. Management is very worried about small metrics. Really want to improve the "Quality" of our sales. Lots of Money can be made if you put your mind to it.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Constant sale changes
An experience I do not wish to repeat.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMDecember 1, 2018
I was recruited by the local manager with which I had formerly worked for a short time. I, unfortunately, was ready to leave my current position and thought it would be an interesting and more intimate opportunity. However, I was not prepared for the "old school" mindset.
This job was a company that allowed you to grow with your commission if you sold certain items. It also provided great communication skills.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAAugust 16, 2018
A typical day at work could be either busy or slow. It all depended on the day. I learned how to provide world class customer service and provide the customer with what they needed and wanted. The workplace was easy for the most part in terms of communicating with other staff members and customers. The hardest part of the job was selling expensive suits, and the most enjoyable part of the job was getting commission on good sales, and making the customer happy, provided them with their wants and needs.
Pros
Commission
Cons
When work was slow and we weren't able to get good commission, or meet our sales goals.
Very enjoyable place
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 10, 2018
The working invirment at the store where I work at Jos A Bank ,is great ,I enjoy working with my team ,we all there for each other ,and I personally look at it ,as doing your best to make work enjoyable and fun . I completely understand that working in retail has ups and downs ,
I would recommend Jos. A. Bank to anyone as a good place to work with all the bells and whistles!
Master Tailor (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOAugust 6, 2018
I spent my last 5 years of full time employment at Jos A. Bank. It was fasted paced, exciting and we never had a dull moment. The job gave me a very good quality of life. I received several raises and always had good reviews. I loved all of my customers and they loved me back. Everyone said I was the best tailor they ever had! Jos A. Bank afforded me the luxury to buy a home, take several cruises and purchase my dream car!
Pros
Benefits, clean new facility, work in teams, paid on time bi-weekly, and paid a competitive wage.
Cons
1 person operation sometimes needed help!
Fun work environment
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 6, 2018
Great company for teamwork, team selling and team projects. Policies are constantly changing and more people get hired from outside rather than promoted from within. Compensation is not the best and commission is hard to achieve unless it's a holiday.
Pros
Great management
Cons
scheduling
Helped the associate to be successful
Regional Director (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 3, 2018
Assocites don't leave the company because of the company they leave because of the management.
Associates should understand why they are asked to do something.
Language at work should be simple and free of politic.
Everyone should have a chance for advancement if they try .
Situational leadership is the key ( everyone is different and should approach differently).
We have to sell the ideas not tell them.
Follow KISS ( Keep it simple and stupid) approach.
My review
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDAugust 13, 2018
I was not impressed by management or upper management of the company. They would say one thing but do another. They played favorites. I worked hard as an employee and received no raise in the time frame I worked there, only because I wasnt a full time employee which they told me there were no positions for. However, soon after leaving there were new people hired and full time positions staffed.
Laidback Work Environment Focused on Delivering Excellent Fit and Service
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 5, 2018
I loved working for Joseph A. Bank. The store I worked in had good people that were fun to work with. Management was lackluster, but our store managed to perform regardless.
Pros
generous discount on clothes, laid back work environment
Cons
Pay
First Employer
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSSeptember 24, 2018
Great first place to work at. I started as part time and quickly moved to full time. The three years I worked for the company, I learned a lot about communication, fitting, marketing, and personal relationships between other employees. I became an expert when operating systems and tailoring steps.
Enjoyed working with our customers.
DIRECT SALES (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAAugust 28, 2018
7 managers in 3-1/2 years. Last Manager had car & licensing problems outside of work. She let it interfere with her supervisory skills. Our Clothing Products were easy to sell. Sufficient quality with our goods and prices were very respectable.
Pros
Enjoyed our product line.
Cons
Manager seldom gave us any breaks, other than lunch.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JoS. A Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at JoS. A Bank.

Powered by Comparably