JoS. A Bank Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Professional workplace with high customer service expectations
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 14, 2019
Jos A Bank is a professional work place with high expectations of always meeting the customers needs which give employers a great opportunity to work on customer service.
This company ruined me
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford NHJune 12, 2019
I have never worked for such a disgusting and misogynistic company. The week I started they brought in a young and compliant manager who was straight out of car sales. He is a racist and sexist who would do anything to get to the top, even if it means selling out his employees. He was hired from outside the company over a manager in training who was there for almost a year. I know someone who sold 100,000 dollars in merchandise and made less than 4,000 to take home. Do not waste your time with this ridiculous company. What they’re doing to their employees should be illegal. I would never give them my time or my business again
250 a week
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Turkey Creek, TNMay 31, 2019
If you can survive on $250 alone and cover all your bills then you're doing something right...you have to sell 10,000 to get anywhere close to a regular paycheck.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
The pay is not enough to live on.
You develop a personal clientele
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXMay 21, 2019
Very relaxed and straight forward. If you know how to talk to people and make yourself personable to your clients, its a breeze. And during prom season, wedding season, and the holiday season, the money makes itself.
Pros
Mellow work environment
Cons
Customer service
job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTMay 18, 2019
This job was one of the worst jobs I had. The lack of customers,things are way over priced and the pay is below the wage in this country.
The Management is very unprofessional and lack the skills that they need to have to run a business . They are for the most part not good people to work with , they steal your commission sales, etc.etc
Not a great place to work period.
The customers on a good day ,you might get two,three but they might buy 30.00 pair of socks and leave you wondering how you are going to eat the next day.
What the store needs to do is get better management , lower their prices or they will go under in the next few years.
love coming to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Leawood, KSMay 15, 2019
love coming to work and helping people find stuff to make them look good and feel good in. this is a very fun environment to work in and I wouldn't change it for anything
It was fine
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Horseheads, NYMay 12, 2019
It was a good job. I showed up, did my job, and went home. I was a low level sales associate in a retail job. There was no nonsense, I got along well with everyone, and it was a healthy work environment.
My favorite job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Salem, NHMarch 14, 2019
I absolutely love working there. It's fun, I just wish it was busier. I love the customer base and my co workers. I love my schedule for my son in school.
Pros
Fun relaxed atmosphere
Great place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 9, 2019
Great place to work and the management and lower level workers were all fantastic. I would recommend the job and company to anyone interested. Thank you Jos A Bank!
With the right environment can be a nice place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Merrick, NYFebruary 26, 2019
I was hired they knew I had no knowledge of the clothing industry. I was told no worries can take up to 6 months to feel comfortable. Instead after just 6 weeks I was being told I had to bring my numbers up comparing my sales to the other salesmen that’s been in the clothing industry for 20 years. If I didn’t meet quotas I would be written up. .Management would never praise you for doing well. Exact words why should I praise you for doing a job your paid for . Said he didn’t care if I stayed or left the company there’s always someone to replace you. Very poor management. Other salesmen was very loud and cocky .from day 1 I was hired I was told that the store location I was in might close .and I would loose my job.
Don’t recommend this company.
Pros
Great customers, friendly
Cons
Poor management, insufficient training.
jos banks was a fun and exciting place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 26, 2019
Jos Bank was an exciting and fun place to work all the employees there were respectable and very helpful at the same time. To this day I still keep in contact with all of the employees.
Pros
we had coprate christmas parties, and we recieved rewards
Cons
lunch breaks were not long enough
Not Good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport, RIJanuary 15, 2019
When I worked at Joseph A Banks as a Sales Assistant I thought that it was right up my alley. Well, I was wrong... I was never trained properly by my manager. He was very condescending to me and whenever I had questions about things he made me look like I was an idiot. I started to quickly regret wanting to come into work especially if my manager and I were the only two that would be working that day. I received very little to no appreciation of working at Joseph A Banks. However, the Assistant Manager who is now the manager of the store was always very understanding and had a great personality. He always made sure I was doing okay and making sure I wasn't having any problems.
Must love the retail work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 5, 2018
Mornings consist of receiving inventory and or selling.

The rest of day is selling and maintaining the store.

There are a lot of variables for a good day which are: luck (door turn), foot traffic, good sale days, and then selling skills are last.

A good day is obviously making a lot of sales (commission) and giving what the customers need at the same time. I enjoyed returning customers telling me how many compliments they received and the amount of confidence they got from me helping them.

Teamwork is a must for the store to flow well. Management should enforce teamwork with co-workers, the in-house tailor, and themselves.

I was able to learn how multi-task under pressure in a retail environment and learn to improve my customer service skills better. You deal with people all day long and they are all different with different needs. Most customers were very nice and understanding.

Management is okay and I understand they have to meet objectives and goals and sometimes they can lose sight of their employees for their own personal ambitions.

Management should get more insight from their salesmen because they are the ones who knows what works and does not work.

The company overall should invest in their employees more to deter them from leaving so quickly.

The hardest part of the job was not being able to have any other type of commitments, even if management was aware of them from the start. Management will push you to the limit.

The overall work culture is good if everyone gets along well. This is a good part-time job or someone who enjoys
  more... being in a selling/commission environment.

You will get outstanding discounts on suits and professional attire while working there.

Overall the job is good if you have a work work mentality, but most people will not last if they have any type of ambition to be promoted or get paid more in a reasonable amount of time. For a good worker I see most people lasting 1-2 years tops and young men (18-25) under a year.
Pros
There is opportunity for decent money, but you will have to really live at the store.
Cons
Hard to balance any type of outside commitment. You will be working a lot.
helped men find shirts, shoes, and suits.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 2, 2018
A typical day involved selling suits, shoes, and shirts. Measuring out cuffs for pants-helping customers choose business outfits. Offering advice and information about sales to help make customers make a decision clearly.
Sales driven and very competitive yet friendly work atmosphere
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 3, 2018
A regular work day at Jos A. Bank consists of receiving customer orders, shipping and calling those customers. Pulling orders for other stores using the ipad throughout the day. Selling merchandise to customers, fitting customers in the proper size and marking garments for alterations. I would attend to any or all of my wedding party needs, organizing, and managing the party. As well as creating multiple outfits and new ways for someone to wear certain items with accessorizing. I would also take in new inventory and stock it into the appropriate spot, and scan out old inventory to ship out of the store. I create the outfits for our manikins in the store, along with rearranging the furnishings and merchandise for new outlooks. The management here is inconsistent and the communication could improve for the employees sake. Along with the workplace culture as a whole. There needs to be less "all for one" and more "one for all". The hardest part of this job was to adapt to the constant regulation changes. What I enjoy most about this job is working with customers. Here you get to really talk and create a relationship with them. Whether your helping them find the suits for their wedding, or your helping someone find a suit for a funeral. You get to talk to your customers on a personal level, and this is where I strive. I am a people person, and have received many excellent customer reviews.
Pros
401k, health and dental insurance, paid vacation sick and floating holiday time
Cons
short breaks, inequality
Productive learning environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 18, 2018
it was good. I put on nice clothes everyday and managed the cash register along with alterations and sizing as well as directing customers to current promotions and deals
It was a fun environment and highly recommend working there.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLJuly 23, 2018
A typical work day was very easy for a sales associate. it was either putting away stock, or taking measurements for weddings or prom. I learned how to take measurements and a good sense of style for men's clothing.
The manager there was very cool. Great personality and if you needed anything, she would help you.
I don't think there was a hard part of a job, all my duties and responsibilities were fairly easy. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that my friend worked there, so we would work and hang out at the same time.
Good Experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Snellville, GAJuly 2, 2018
Employees get along and work together well to get the job done. I have strengthened my people skills since I've worked here and learned how to promote quality customer service.
Most unprofessional job ever.
TUXEDO MANAGER / SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 17, 2018
When i started working at Jos A Bank it was an okay job , but as my time there i started to get treated unfairly. I was always at work on time and or filling in for other people who called in , the pay wasnt enough to even put gas in my car for the week. The staff would treat me as though i was a slave , i did everyone's work on top of my own. My last two years there was the absolute worst.
Very fast paced and always busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dawsonville, GAApril 20, 2018
Learned how to measure for dress shirts. Was always busy so made the time go by fairly quickly. Enjoyed the people I worked with. Everyone was always kidding around but also getting their jobs done too.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JoS. A Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight