JoS. A Bank Employee Reviews for Sales Executive

They suck.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXMarch 2, 2019
I worked there for 8 years. I know, crazy right? I loved our customers, our product, but that's all. The customers (not all) were the best part! It was a job.
Pros
Cons
Slow, slow, then crazy busy with their stupid sales, Buy one suit get 3 free? That meant i only had one suit applied to me earn rate.
gives you the platform....
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2018
to establish yourself in a sales environment and strengthens your skills.
allows you to have a flexible schedule.
Tuition reimbursement
healthcare benefits
Perfect for High School or College students, even Retirees, NOT as a career. Here is why:
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 10, 2018
I'd like to preface this by saying I recently stepped down from assistant manager II to a regular sales due being a college student.

The Sales Assistant:
I joined Jos. A. Bank my senior year of high school as a Sales Assistant expecting it to be an okay starting point to the work environment. My co-workers were fun and the job was pretty easy. I was outgoing and a hard worker so I had no trouble fitting in and working with customers. However while my friends were over at Starbucks making $15/hr with college scholarship benefits, I was at Jos. A. Bank making $8.50/hr and no benefits (back in 2017). Currently as of 2018 the position is now going for around $10/hr to 12/hr if your lucky with no benefit and is STILL not up to par with most other companies for the work you do.

The Assistant Manager II:
Most will call this title "the 3rd key". After a few months of learning the material (as a SA) and showing promise one particular store in my region was doing particularly bad and needed a 3rd key. My manager told me about it and I accepted the challenge. Going in with no prior sales training and no management training I was hired in at 5.75/hr plus commission (I believed this to be atrocious for a manager pay and pushed for $6.00 but I was assured that this was the best starting rate for my position.) I'm not sure about other stores, but at this particular store I did all the work. Although I was 3rd key I handled issues that the store manager should have dealt with, and pretty much ran the store aside from making the schedule. (Though this was likely just my store)

more...
The Sales Executive (Regular commission sales):
As I stated previously I recently stepped down due to college and the only thing that has changed is my pay. I am payed $5/hr plus commission. I do basically the same thing to spite my store bringing in another manager to take over my position. There is nothing special about this position. Expect a lot of headache as this position, especially if you are part time. I find that I often will get my commission messed over by another sales. This is detramental to me because of the fact that I am part time and trying to make a pay check, I don't feel that I need to fight for sales with elderly men that don't understand the fundamentals of our P.O.S. system (our checkout system)

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Jos. A. Bank is perfect for people who need FLEXIBILITY in their schedules.
The ideal person to manage and work in this industry (KEEPING IN MIND HOW MUCH THEY PAY) are young kids in high school to college kids. This is also a perfect job for retirees.
Due to the low pay range and allowable flexibility it is perfect for high/college students and can be used as a good opportunity to make connections and to move out of the industry.
If you want Jos. A. Bank to be your final end all be all, DO NOT settle for just Store Manager, their pay ranges from $15-25/hr and they only make 3% commission (+bounuses). Climb that Corp. ladder! Get up there! Then you have a shot at being on par with the rest of the jobs out there.
Pros
Flexible schedules, good for college/highschool kids, fun
Cons
Really bad pay, uncaring management, no benefits, rarely promoted
Productive workplace. With several venues for making commission
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Rapidly evolving company with new programs for sales. Including, Custom clothing in suits, pants shirts etc., capability of earning commission thru sales to customers on Josabank website. Management really focused on numbers for achievement. Excellent training by management staff to achieve growth numbers and commission.
Pros
Excellent working environment with opportunity for advancement
Cons
Not much opportunity for personal and family time
My review
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDAugust 13, 2018
I was not impressed by management or upper management of the company. They would say one thing but do another. They played favorites. I worked hard as an employee and received no raise in the time frame I worked there, only because I wasnt a full time employee which they told me there were no positions for. However, soon after leaving there were new people hired and full time positions staffed.
Great People, Great Place
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2018
A great place to work. Interacting with the customers & helping them to coordinate their wardrobe was the best thing ever for me. The hardest part of the job was leaving, due to severe health reasons. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff and customers .
productive
Sales executive, men's suits specialist (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 14, 2018
i learned how to be a salesman working on commission.We re talking about a cut throat experience you share with your coworkers.Mix feelings,animosity,you name it.That was the hardest part of the job.
Management would only care about productivity.
Slow and out of touch
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 10, 2018
This company is managed poorly and there is no question as to why the business is failing, they are completely out of touch with customer base and treat employees poorly.
great
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 21, 2018
learned a lot about sales. I would recommend anyone looking for a first time experience in sales to join jos a banks to gather a beginners knowledge in sales.
Low pay for a lot of work and no benifit
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLJanuary 22, 2018
You are required to greet customer then measure and fit them in Jo's A Bank appeal after the customer mead is made up we are responsible to cash them out. You are also required to organize, clean, fold and hang all store merchandise. You also responsible for stock, inventory, telemarking, online odor and alteration but you will not get paid for the amount of work you put in everyday. Jo's A Bank pay rate is very low and there are no benefit for non management, I would not recommend anyone with bills are a family to support to work from this company.
Pros
You'll gain customer service skill
Cons
Payment, Benifit, Less Hour, and no Respect for non management
I enjoyed working at this company, my co-workers were very friendly
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLJanuary 13, 2018
A successful company that can do more for its employees. The hours that was given to me was too little. I enjoyed meeting the different people that frequent the store.
Horrible Business Model
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WADecember 29, 2017
Business model makes it near impossible to make a decent living. Commission based, but after the Mens buy out, rate lowered, all employees put at super low wages and forced to use cutthroat sales tactics. Not a good work environment. Job advancement almost non-existent. Tuxedo rep commission was mangled, making it impossible to make more than base wage.
Pros
none anymore
Used to be great
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WADecember 28, 2017
Was an awesome place to work with lots of advancement and commission opportunity...Until Men's Wearhouse took over. Destroyed the pay rates right through store management created a hostile cutthroat work environment. Won't work or shop there again.
Pros
none anymore
Cons
impossible to get time off even when not in blackout dates, no advancement oppertunity anymore, minimum or below minimum wage depending on where you work.
stressful with no reward.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Fernandina Beach, FLDecember 26, 2017
Very low pay. No benefits. Sales Manager would try to take sa;les away from fellow co workers. Stayed open too late at night for our location. Very low compensation and the managers I worked under were poor.
great managers and co workers very low pay
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Peachtree City, GADecember 4, 2017
I enjoyed working at Jos A Bank. My co workers and managers were great to work with everyday. We helped each other and worked together very well to drive sales and had a very cohesive work environment I enjoyed helping the customers and was extremely sales driven. I always met my sales expectations and most of time exceeded them. I won all sales contest that were available for the sales team. It was difficult at times to stand on my feet for over 8 hours sometimes. I left this job because when Men's Warehouse and Jos A Bank merged they took away our commission and paid us minimum wage. I would go back to this job if they chose to pay commission again.
Pros
very friendly coworkers, very convient to where I live
Cons
no benefits and very low pay
Great company
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 10, 2017
Amazing company, they helped me expand my sales skills and it was a pleasure working there. I had no issues with anyone my entire time there. Great management
Not a team friendly environment
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 12, 2017
The management doesn't do anything except write down goals each day. Management puts blame on the sales executives and doesn't provide proper training in order to more efficiently and effectively operate the store. Management also doesn't handle problem employees, their tactic is to just act like nothing is happening and hope the problem goes away.
Better Management
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 26, 2017
Better management was needed when I worked there. I had a client that was will to spend $10k, however, I did not have the inventory that I had requested to have 2 weeks prior.
productive workplace
Sales Executive / Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2017
great corporation b,i really wish they did more research on management staff and they really follow hip with the way of conduct in stores , potential with the product but really bad promoting their sales
Pros
nothing
Cons
healthcare, 401k
Great place to work at for college student
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 10, 2017
The hours were always flexible and management always worked with you. It was quite hard to advance within the company however. I was there for 2 years and remained within the same position at the same pay rate, which led to my resign.
Pros
Company paid for lunch on weekends
Cons
Hard to move up within the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JoS. A Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at JoS. A Bank.

Powered by Comparably