JoS. A Bank Employee Reviews for Store Manager

Enjoyed my years with the company.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHMarch 27, 2019
I moved up from key holder to store manager within just a few years. I loved my peers, customers and management team. The product was beautiful and fun to sell!
Pros
good teams, fun atmosphere, great product
great place to work
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 13, 2019
You get to make people look good and handle all their clothing needs. The company offers a great discount on clothing for yourself and always has great sales.
Managment
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Glendale, WIMarch 6, 2019
Difficult place to work after company was acquired by Mens Warehouse purchased company. Middle and top management position were filled with younger persons who lack the skills to run a better Men's Store.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
poor management
Starts off great then goes down hill very fast.
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAFebruary 5, 2019
I had the only store in our district that showed a profit every year after 2007. All store managers in our district came to me when they needed help with any aspect of running their store to include catching up with alterations of customer's suits. I increased sales and reduced shrink every year. New store managers came from my assistant manager pool. I worked 50 to 80 hours each week even though my store showed a profit and all my standards were met for sales per employee and new account openings for the corporate club. No matter how well you did it was never good enough to only work 40 hrs per week. My with was diagnosed with cancer and I could not get any coverage from management to support my wife who needed a bi-lateral mastectomy. When I found out she had cancer I was told the surgery was in 3 days. How cold and cruel a company could care less about your personal situation and more about you being in your store.
Not a good job at all
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 30, 2018
I hated my life when I worked for Jos. A. Bank. There is no work/life balance for managers. Upper management is awful. Jos. A. Bank has a terrible work culture.

Don't do it to yourself.
Pros
Cons
Poor work/life balance, terrible management, toxic culture
No real advancement opportunity
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 26, 2018
Not very acceptable pay for living. Definitely not for a family man. Being retail, holiday was hard to see family having no real time off. I was just looking to better advance myself with knowledge and salary
Loved this job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNSeptember 20, 2018
I worked for the company along time was very pleased with my promotion rate ! I loved being a part of the family we had in my location It’s sad that the business closed but I would definitely still be there if it hadn’t
I was the Manager of a store
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYSeptember 5, 2018
My bosses were very awesome. Left because I was given another job for less hours but equal pay. When I was the manager, I made sure that my workers were happy in the environment they were working in.
Pros
Cons
worked hours
Not a reflection of Tailored Brands
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cumming, GAAugust 1, 2018
I can not give an accurate opinion about the company as a whole. I'm used to world-class customer service being the goal, not just for customers but also included employees.
Good products but poor corporate support
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 23, 2018
Really went down hill quickly after company was bought out by Men's Warehouse. My successor was paid a fraction of what I was paid so my superior was not able to find an adequate person for the job. I was able to lead employees to success before buyout. Commissions cut and always an emphasis for management to be top in sales because their commission is much less than sales staff.
Pros
Excellent products to sell
Cons
Commissions cut over the last several years.
Disappointed!!!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 24, 2018
After working for a period of 6 years, I wasn't appreciated enough for my consistent increase in volume and achieving bonuses. Their loss my learning experience.
Have to drink the "kool-aid" to advance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 8, 2018
It was a good place to work for when you had more autonomy, however it became a micromanagement organization and mangers had little or no say in day-to day operations of their location.
Slow paced and lack of upper management communication
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisApril 30, 2018
Tasking was the daily goal. On top of customer service. Lack of hours for employees. No open communication with upper management. No work/life balance. High turnover.
Pros
Horrible Managment
Cons
Discounts
Reward for Sales Improvement
Store Sales Manager/Turn-Around Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 13, 2018
Working at 2 locations I found that my efforts were rewarded often with promotional gifts and money.

I found the work cultural open to improving employee knowledge and skills to be successful.

Meeting and exceeding the customers need was the most rewarding and the returning customers with recommendations to others.
Pros
sample of the product
Cons
short breaks fast pace
great company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYFebruary 1, 2018
great company to work for. hopefully mens wearhouse doesnt ruin their reputation. Wonderful managers, people, and staff. Would love to work for this company.
Good for a retail job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 25, 2018
For retail, this is a decent place to work. However, if you have a family and want any sort of work/life balance, you can kiss it goodbye. Especially if you hold a management position. Yes, the company provides PTO but good luck taking it. So many dates are blacked out on the vacation calendars for management that it's pathetic. I was with the company for nine years and my longest vacation was six days. The rest of my tenure there was spent taking a long weekend two or three times a year in lieu of an actual vacation.

Upper management seems a little lost at the moment. I had four different direct supervisors in the 2016-2017 calendar year. The company seems to have little direction (or at least little direction that includes store-level employees). The management turnover was unbearable as each manager had different demands. There was no company-wide consistency on what the employees should focus on. As a manager myself, it was disheartening to ask for clarity and direction and be told that I'm replaceable.
Pros
Earn commission
Cons
Actually taking PTO, work/life balance, unclear management direction
fun store to run
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 10, 2018
great retail store with an excellent sales team in place. good collaborative environment within the store, and excellent support from the district manager.
Fast paced retail enviroment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 5, 2018
A typical day involves sales training and assisting customers. Stock work and inventory control. Time management is a big deal in getting everything done
great commission
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Queenstown, MDJuly 5, 2017
Friendly management team, great training, in house advancement, and the hardest part is shipment. There needs to be a shipment area in all stores that is not on the sales floor. If you are high quality merchandise then it should be process off the floor to insure quality treatment of new merchandise arrival.
Productive workplace
Associate Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJuly 3, 2017
Great workplace. Great opportunity to work with customers one on one. The benefits are another great pro with this corporation. With this corporation you also have great opportunities to being promoted.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JoS. A Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at JoS. A Bank.

Powered by Comparably