Journeys Group Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  MichhiganFebruary 28, 2019
I was a terrible place to work. I worked 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week and was expected to work more. The mall wasn’t even open that much. The DM was terrible and provided no support. If they don’t like you they will find a reason to fire you, even if they have to make it up.
Dreadful
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2019
I worked 75 hours a week. They make it so none of the sales associates can make commissions. They would rather have 20 kids work 4 hours a week than 5 strong full time kids who can sell everything. They pay minimum wage. It's basically a slave shop. And upper management are just bullies. No matter how well you do as a manager, they will keep looking for something to hold you down. If you're looking for a career, look elsewhere.
Pros
40% discount.
Cons
Everything else.
Terrible
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 16, 2019
I was an assistant manager at this job and when my store manager was replaced by the current one. It all went downhill. Don't like you, won't keep you
Pros
Nons
Ha.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 22, 2019
I only worked there for a month or so before I found out I was expecting a child. Having a difficult pregnancy wasn’t easy for me to begin with but they wouldn’t work with me ( the higher ups ). I was working and on my feet for anywhere to 50-62 hours a week, which is NOT healthy for someone who’s pregnant. Instead, I had an option of demoting myself or pretty much quitting. I quit. I’m not working for a company with little to no understanding that you have a life outside of it.
Pros
Discount, caring employees
Cons
Lack of lunch, working long, lonnngggg hours
Garbage company, garbage people
comanager (Former Employee) –  Eatontown, NJJanuary 15, 2019
I was incredibly overworked and underpaid- my overtime hourly pay was $4. I got physically ill while working there and having to work for 60 hours a week did NOT help my illness. My superior was one of the most cruel people I have ever had the misfortune of working with. People who stay long term working for this company are low lifes.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Work hours, work life balance
a joke
MIT (Manager in Training) (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJJanuary 13, 2019
they have children running their stores.
they steal commission of other employees and think they are incompetent.
you get a base pay of $200 a week, which breaks down to 4-5 dollars an hour. paychecks for management are 6-800 weekly, if you are lucky and don't have others returning items under you and stealing your work.
Cons
40 percent discount
No comment
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 15, 2018
I do not have anything negative to say about the company and would prefer my review be deleted due to the inconclusiveness of my answer. I apologize. Thanks.
No life outside of work, very demanding hours
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 29, 2018
This job is great for high school students or younger people with no family to care for at home. Otherwise, I don’t suggest this job to anyone. As a manager, you are required to work at least 50 hrs/week with a small base pay as a “salary” and the rest comes from sales. After calculating, I would make about $8/hr. As a manager. During peak seasons (like holidays), you will work about 65 hours every week and the pay doesn’t really increase significantly. You’ll work open to close at least a day or two out of the week. One day off a week. Overall, this job isn’t worth it because lack of pay and stressful hours. Turnover rate for part-time employees is ridiculously high because of the pay (minimum wage).
Pros
Discount is nice, free shoes occasionally
Cons
Long shifts, stressful, not enough pay
Discount was nice
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 28, 2018
The DM in the Upstate NY market lead with fear. Hourly, broken down with the amount of hours you HAD to put in to get everything accomplished, was minimum wage. No life/work balance. Worst job in my career history. Shipment and sales quota were expected with limited payroll hours given. Associates bodies would give out as a result of fatigue and stress.
Pros
40% off merchandise
Journeys is a CULT
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJuly 17, 2018
Things will start out amazing and you will love everything about Journeys... do not be fooled. I worked for this company for 8 months and it was honestly the worst 8 months of my life. Journeys will not allow you to have a social life outside of the job. You will be forced to work countless 12 hour shifts (that turn into 15 hour shifts) and you will never have a full functioning staff. The company as a whole does not care about the well being of its employees or the workload they will throw on you. They WILL screw you over when it comes to pay. As a store manager, after breaking my salary down, I was only receiving $6.25/hr. That’s not even minimum wage... AS A STORE MANAGER. Don’t settle on a job with Journeys if you want to live comfortably and happy.
Pros
40% off. Concerts. Customers.
Cons
No breaks. Under paid. Over worked.
Journeys should be a family.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 15, 2018
Working my way up from the bottom journeys tells you they are a family. Sadly when you have a Distract manager who could care less that family aspect isn’t there. Working the most hours, and getting paid minimum wage sucks. Being told they promote from with in, and than being told no to a position that should be yours is a horrible feeling. Journeys works you to death, and would ask you at your funeral if you’re coming to work that next day. Journeys doesn’t care if you have a family, or what’s going on in your personal life. It’s an okay job if you’re 18 and need experience, but have fun dealing with poor management, being abused.
Pros
40% off
Cons
Literally everything
Pretty on the outside
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 3, 2018
Pretty on the outside. The job as some perks that outweigh the managerial shortcomings. The job asks of you to do more then is your job description.
Absolutely no work/ life balance.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaFebruary 26, 2018
I don't want to say the whole company is this way because I can only speak from my personal experience. My DM had no backbone and picked fights between store management. The company itself had cool perks, like concert tickets and free shoes from time to time, but that was a drop in the bucket compared to the lack of guidance and maturity from people you were supposed to report to.
Pros
Discount, company volunteering initiatives and fun customers
Cons
No work/ life balance and immature leadership
great
Athletics Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 1, 2018
fun place to work. great people, innovative and addicting culture. great upward mobility and a promote from within mindset to ensure success to everyone employed.
Great First Manager Position
Store Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Estero, FLJune 12, 2017
I started with the Journey's Group when I was 24, and it was my entry level management position.

I did learn a great deal about fast paced sales within their culture, which overall, is very good. However, if you are not an attractive female, you are likely to be passed up for a higher volume promotion
Pros
40% Discount
Cons
12 Hour work days at least 2x a week