Journeys Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 2,334 reviews matching the search See all 2,425 reviews
very hard on sales goals
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 16, 2018
There are certain tasks to be performed every time a customer steps into the store. and numerous times customers have told us that the employees are too pushy and annoying with the sales pitch. I know its a retail store but pushing the customers to buy something will only hurt them in the long run.
"JOKEneys"
Sl@ve (Former Employee) –  JerseyAugust 16, 2018
FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST...I got out as fast as I got in...First of all and most importantly, you will sl@ve for 60+ hours a week only to discover that your compensation, disguised as "comission-based," is equivalent to wages a child laborer earns at a swe@t shop...Secondly, MANAGERS BE FOREWARNED, you will breath, sleep, eat, worship, join in matrimony JOKEneys and forget about any life away from JOKEneys bc their is no breathe taken outside of JOKEneys. Forget about even a minimal about of guidance from a policy book bc one exist as much as a unicorn that sweats glitter exist inside of Oz. DMs are unavailable bc they are busy managing and replacing the last teenager hired, excited for the meaningless title of "store manager" and cluless of fair wages and even when they BLESS you with their presence they help as much as a deaf, blind, crippled dog helps you find the bone it just buried inside its own food bowl.
DO NOT spare half of one brain cell even contemplating typing the first letter of your name on the lease for your soul that is the application and instead, go outside, stand on the corner, naked and wave a sign reading "Will work for free" bc that is less of an offense on your dignity than working for JOKEneys.
An attitude that cwres
Retail worker (Current Employee) –  Tinton Falls, NJAugust 15, 2018
I love journeys. It’s a great job especially when you want to grow with a company. There are people who are very passionate about their job, and then there are some who are not as caring. I have definitely learned a lot from journeys and my journeys family.
Great Management with minimal room to advance
Shipment Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 15, 2018
My time with Journeys has shown me that while the culture and attitude at the stores is great the openings and opportunities are less so, with little or no room to advance in the company. This is the opposite of what I was told by my first Managers, who assured me I would grow to have more hours and a future with Journeys/Genesco.
Pros
Employee Discounts, Flexible Hours
Cons
Lack of Hours, No Advancement
Journey's Sales Rep
Sales Representative/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILAugust 15, 2018
A typical day at work included opening and closing the store, taking care of customer needs, and selecting the best styles for customers.. They are really big in up selling. And inventory is a major thing at journey's. I learned how listen to individual needs and ask questions. I learned how it is best to get to know the customer to build satisfaction in the sale. The management is kind of inconsistent. You will see that Journey's constantly change their managers. Within the time I worked their I had four managers. They were all really nice and free spirited people. The work place culture is urban. They play the newest music. And have different styles of shoes coming in daily. This is defiantly a place where you can come to work and dress as yourself and be yourself. their is not really anything hard about the job, unless your scared of heights. The stock rooms are huge, and you do have to go up and down ladders constantly. It can be a little dangerous rather than hard. The most enjoyable part of my job was the atmosphere of the job, everyone is usually really laid back, and pumped to go to work.
Pros
40% off discounts, Discounts for other stores, and managers get free shoes every so often, they have flexable hours
Cons
Hours are short, money is short, and commission pay is not good
fun place to work
Journeys Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXAugust 13, 2018
fun place to work for teens and young adults. pay starts at $7.25 per hour, but if you can hit your goals, your checks looked pretty good. nice managers and pretty flexible hours
Productive, sale driven workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLAugust 13, 2018
Great company to start a career. Employment advancement opportunity is open and great. Holiday season bring in great revenue. Management was down to earth but professional as well.
Pros
store discount
Cons
salary
Productive, Friendly, Fun
Seasonal Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 13, 2018
I had a great job experience while working at Journey's. I would do it again. It was very organized and productive. Everyone worked as a team to meet the stores goal.
Pros
Friendly, great learning experince
Cons
short breaks
very social and welcoming staff. helping and guiding every step.
Sales Associate | Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLAugust 13, 2018
the working environment was very welcoming and it was a seamless introduction into that line of customer service. I learned plenty of organization skills including stockroom management, monitoring employee sales, and making sure every sale associate meets companies standards. plus many other traits.
Pros
plenty of hours and flexible schedule
Cons
little to no breaks due to foot traffic
Great work place with great people, just poor management and low pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJAugust 13, 2018
I loved working at journeys just because I got to meet new people on a daily basis. I also loved all my co-workers. There was a con though. Pay was low and you didn't get commission. Journeys expect so much from you but their pay doesn't reflect all the hard work you do.
Pros
Discount was great
Cons
Low pay

Want to know more about Journeys?

Ask a question
Great Place All Around
Co-Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 12, 2018
Journeys provided the opportunity for career growth and advancement. They wanted any employee who worked hard enough to move up into management. From there, based on your performance, would be offered a pay raise, or the chance to relocate to manage another store. I gained valuable sales, operations, and customer service experience while employed. The hours were long and sometimes overwhelming during peak seasons, however, the payoff was more than worth your time and effort.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement. Great upper management that encouraged employee growth.
Cons
Long hours. Sometimes working "doubles" to cover the entire shift. On your feet the entire day.
fun and productive experiences
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INAugust 11, 2018
Journeys is a fun job for high school students. It's a fun and creative environment that teaches productiveness, drive, and responsibility. Journeys is a feat first job.
Pros
Flexible hours, good people, creative atmosphere
Cons
If you do not hit certain goals you will be penalized
Fun experience learned good skills
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 11, 2018
I learned many skills while working at journeys for example patience ,how to have good customer service , how to do stock , help people with there needs and how to work with many different people
Cons
No benefits
Journeys is my life
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Des Peres, MOAugust 10, 2018
I absolutely love working for such an amazing company. The atmosphere and environment where you can be yourself and be around others who are similar is amazing. I love the people I work for!
Pros
Shoes, amazing bosses, best customer service
Productive & Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 10, 2018
I loved working at journeys it was fun & the customers made my day. I worked very hard & it was a competitive work environment. I worked very diligently and hard to outdo my expectations and meet my benchmarks!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Lack of benefits and advancement options
Decent
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDAugust 9, 2018
Mostly laid back environment depending on which manager is present. Hours are inconsistent, you could have a week where you work every day and then the very next week you don't work at all. Work is easy, manager is a bit sketch and picky though.
Pros
Discounts
Terrible terrible terrible management
Sales Representative (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Murray, UTAugust 9, 2018
I don't know what it is about working for Journey's that makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. Depending on who your manager is, they could be a total jerk about what you're selling someone. If somebody asks to look at a shoe, you must go back into the stock room and pick out three other shoes to present to the customer that only asked for the one. Then, you have to basically lie about the quality of all the Journeys brand socks and they're completely garbage. I wouldn't work here even if my only option for work would be prostituting myself.
Pros
No pros. ALL cons
Cons
The whole job is a con
Great place to learn about popular shoe wear
Shoe Sales (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNAugust 8, 2018
I enjoyed working under the company's management, Everyone was always willing to teach and guide me into making sales whilst giving customers knowledge of popular brand name shoes.
Friendly and fun working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAAugust 7, 2018
Working with Journeys (Kidz and adult stores) has a lot of room for interaction and team building. It's an enjoyable place to work and there is always room for moving up in the company.
Pros
Flexible work hours, learning experiences
Cons
occasional heavy lifting
Fun work place
Journeys Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 7, 2018
Journeys is a fun work place I worked with some great people we had funny moments but always serious moments I think this would be a good first time job it’s easy to catch on
Pros
Discount on shoes
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Journeys. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight