JOY MINING MACHINERY Employee Reviews

Traffic Coordinator - Shipping and Receiving
TRAFFIC COORDINATOR - SHIPPING & RECEIVING (Former Employee) –  Brook Park, OHMarch 28, 2018
Joy Mining was a wonderful place to work for. The people/employees were like family. Joy Mining Machinery helped me gain knowledge and experience with coal mining machinery. Every department and out of state facility joined together to work as a team. It was an excellent learning experience that I was proud to be a part of their team.
Pros
Learning something new on a daily basis
great fellow workers,good tools and equipment,poor management
Tool Maker,Machinist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PASeptember 15, 2017
This is still a great place to work,if you get a chance at a job here,take it!The only bad thing is the management teams,you cannot believe the amount of waste and missed opportunities they pass on every single day!
Hard work and long hours
Senior Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Duffield, VAJune 1, 2017
It was a challenging job being on call 24/7 and uncertain what location you would be at each day. Very instructive if you are willing to put the time in to learn.
Proffesional enviroment with great employee benifits
Designer (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PAMay 30, 2017
Joy Mining Machinery is a mining equipment manufacturer. They provide a professional work environment and excellent employee benefits. My only reason for leaving this job is that I was laid off due to a slow down in business.
Pros
benifits, co-workers, enviroment
Cons
Workflow fluctuactions
Structured and Well Organized
Life Cycle Manager III (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, IL 62864January 5, 2017
This company has been in business for over 125 years. It carries a large product line in both surface and underground mining. It has become one of the largest and well known mining equipment companies in the world. They are currently in the process of acquisition by Komatsu. Komatsu is a leader in surface mining equipment manufacturing and this should make for a more diverse and competitive company.
Pros
Great people to work with and excellent pay and benefits
Cons
The mining industry has seen a dramatic downturn in the past couple of years.
Joy Mining Machinery was a very outstanding place of employement with many challenges.
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PAMay 28, 2016
Joy Mining Machinery was very challenging to work for. The days were always different and you to adapt to whatever the important tasks for the day were. I enjoyed being flexible and completing all tasks that were brought to my attention. I was self motivated and therefore, was able to talk to all departments needed to accomplish the project to meet all deadlines. I think the hardest part of the job was when the factory was closing and we lost good men one by one. Everyone knew it was a matter of time before we were going to be the next one out and have to find new employment.
Pros
Excellent pay, good benefits.
Cons
Lunch breaks were very short. Factory was very hot in the summer.
Good Team
Warehouser (Former Employee) –  Duffield, VAApril 27, 2016
Good people, good product, great compensation. Had a chance to learn new skills and achieve higher standard of self worth.
Internship
Production Intern (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PAOctober 20, 2015
Solid internship experience. Given a lot of freedom and flexibility to learn as much as possible. I would highly recommend anyone interested in Joy Mining.
Productive and rewarding workplace with highly skilled workers
Electrical Component Assembler (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PAJuly 28, 2015
Build very sturdy control systems for underground mining equipment.
Work closely with Engineering Department and Quality control to make sure workmanship meets high standards.
Co -workers always available to lend a helping hand.
Fast-paced but great working environment
Temp Office Assistant-Sales Dept (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILSeptember 12, 2014
This position offered many new and challenging skills, which I enjoyed. I learned about warranties and sales, and what was involved in creating mining machinery. Again, this was a temporary position. I wish I could have stayed longer.
not bad
Industrial Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Bluefield, VAMarch 12, 2014
It was ok at times but hated working night shift. For the most part everyone was pretty nice.
Love my job!
Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, PAFebruary 14, 2014
I love working for JOY. The people are awesome and the company is great! There is no better company to work for in my eyes!
Pros
Great people all over the world!
Cons
No cons!!
I enjoy working here, but like anywhere else it is not perfect.
CNC MILL OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Franklin, PANovember 8, 2013
I operate a 5 " Horizontal boring mill. Mostly we run larger parts, averaging 2 to 3 hour run times. Supervisors generally leave you alone unless you need them.
Pros
overtime usually available but never forced, Above average compensation
Cons
Up & down Industry, CNC Programming extremely poor, Way to much editing when proving out these programs., There is a group of co-workers nearing retirement, that create a lot of unnecessary friction between the Union and the Company.
Large company
Admin Data Center Operations (Former Employee) –  Warrendale, PAOctober 7, 2013
Strict 8:00 to 5:00 working day. Working on SAP systems. Management micro-managed everyone's work.
Pros
Cons
Dirty environment with mining equipment
A good place to work but very dependant on the coal market for job security.
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Duffield, VASeptember 2, 2013
Joy is a very good place to work with decent benefits and good retirement programs.
A productive workplace with a lot of good, skilled people
Welder Technician (Former Employee) –  Millersburg, KYSeptember 2, 2013
I was typically brought new or particularly challenging projects by my supervisor, because he knew I would do an accurate and cosmetically pleasing job on them. My supervisor was fair and had good relations with the floor workers.
Pros
Company paid for luncheons once every accident-free month
Cons
short breaks, hours could be long
A nice fun place to work
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Solon, OHFebruary 10, 2013
ive learned how to put safety first, and be aware of hazards.if theres issues.there resolved in a timely manner between managment and employee.
Pros
free lunches every month if theres no recordable injuries for that month
Cons
point system- 1 point doesnt fall off till the same month next year
Great place to work and make a career of.
Hydraulic Repairman (Former Employee) –  Wellington, UTJanuary 23, 2013
Consider yourself very fortunate to have employment with this company if given the chance because it was the best job I ever had. Not one bad thing to say about this employer.
Pros
benefit package is great, optional overtime, triple pay on holidays, double time on sundays, good crew, job stability, good pay, awesome bonus incentives, indoors, help with schooling
Steady Workplace
MRP Controller (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PADecember 11, 2012
A typical day at work involved me inputting data for outsourced/subcontracting work. I learned about the SAP system which I didn't have the opportunity to use before Joy. My co-workers were pleasant and we enjoyed the occasional rib. The hardest part of the job was waiting. In our business, there were days where the workload was incredible and I was busy all day and then there were days where I had to search for work to do. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that it was a relaxed environment for the most part.
Friendly, professional work place that offered good work/life balance.
Supply Chain Coordinator/Expediter (Former Employee) –  Franklin, PAOctober 18, 2012
A typical day at Joy included all aspects of material procurement required to support manufacturing. I would physically check inventory levels, place and expedite orders, manage production schedules and tracking reports, attend meetings and report to my superiors. I learned a lot about what is required to keep a global manufacturing company operating smoothly and efficiently, as well as a lot about the information systems required to manage such large volumes of information; we used SAP and a wide variety of Microsoft Office applications to process the information, enabling me to become very profficient using both platforms. Most of my co-workers were between the ages of 40 and 60, although there were still a good number of young adults in the office. In general, everyone was very pleasent and I got along well with all of them. The hardest part of the job was not having the authority I needed to get things done at an optimally efficient rate. Whenever I had to get a superior to sign off on one of my decisions it naturally slowed down the process. However, I understood the need for checks and balances so it never bothered me much. By far the most enjoyable part of my job was receiving a "highly critical" task, devoting 100% of my attention to it and completing it quickly and correctly.
Pros
friendly environment, fast paced, lunch/dinner with clients
Cons
no benefits, less-than full utilization of technology available