Judicial Council of California

Judicial Council of California Employee Reviews

State Work
The work on Language Access is necessary to enhance the work of the State at the courts to provide access to all Limited English Proficient consumers.
Pros
Meaningful work; work remotely once per week
Cons
State Work
An environment with a great work-life balance
Unlike today's IT Culture that looks at consulting as a commodity, JCC looks for real talents and would prefer to retain people with a positive attitude. The management follows a coaching leadership, which creates a motivational learning environment, and they endorse employee achievements with appreciation and recognization. They have several training programs that build management and technical skills.
Run far away
Your busy all day long. You learn from teaching yourself there is no training. Managers do not support their employee's.The culture is not a nice place no Perks. Nothing hard about the job just no support. I like the Benefits and the Holiday Pay. The most enjoyable part of the job was making relationship with some Staff not all.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Managers are not fair and provide no Support
Management top heavy
Organization is top heavy with executives that get paid huge salaries at the State of California tax payers expense. Worst run organization I have ever worked for. This organization keeps the stereotype of government workers and waste alive.
Benefits
Cons
everything but benefits
a great environment
In spite of the potential for the job to be managed in a rigid, inflexible manner, I enjoyed far more autonomy than I had initially expected. Even though I was in a temporary, entry level position, I felt valued and respected by coworkers and executives alike.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Opportunities for Learning
I enjoyed learning from smart professional co-workers and having a solid and knowledgeable mentor. Many people have worked here for a long time, and the culture can be a bit stagnant with people stuck in their ways. Overall I very much enjoyed my experience and co-workers.
Excellent
The most enjoyable about this job is that it's for an organization that represents something. Providing equal justice and supporting that mission makes it easy to go to work daily.
Average company
There is alot to say about his company. I have worked in this organization for over 4 years and think it is fine to work here . Would I recommend it, that is up to you
Pros
good location
Cons
benefits not what they used to be
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Judicial Council of California?
Do not apply unless you like abuse
Horrible place to work. Many depts are bad. Worse are HR and Legal. Long term employees with only 1 or 2 exceptions never get promoted. Though in Legal, new employees are treated much better than long term emp. Managenent believe if youve worked there for 2 weeks you know more than staff there for years. New emp are paid more than old staff. Support staff in particular are treated very poorly. The legal office is in seriously bad shape with major staff leaving in droves.
Staff are lied to and treated poorly. Stay away.
Not What It Used To Be!
The economy and poor management (not by the Chief Justice, who is a role model) have had the Judicial Council on the decline since 2008, and this is no longer someplace I could recommend to anyone to work. People think working for the government is going to be 8 to 5, too, but it is far from it these days, as a caveat to anyone with that stereotype. The employment is very low paying except at the top, and not "secure" as people assume for government work, as well.
Pros
The branch compares favorably to DGS, still.
Cons
Poor pay, poor management, increasingly poor service to superior courts.
Great place for attorneys to work
As an attorney, I have found this to be a very rewarding place to work. There is an enormous amount of innovative work in attempting to address issues/challenges through legislation, policy, and Rules of Court. Some frustration when what seem like simple solutions are not approved by the Legislature.
Pros
Constantly challenged with interesting work and difficult issues.
Cons
Lack of telecommuting option.
Learned a lot about cataloging courthouse data
This job involved a lot of scanning, naming, and archiving of various courthouse drawings from all over the state of California.
Strong team atmosphere
The Judicial Council of California is a great place to work. There has been some recent restructuring, but I think it has been to the benefit of the mission. The people there work hard, and get things done. It's a solid place to find professional meaning.
Pros
Make a big difference for the courts and the state of California.
Cons
There aren't always pathways to advancement, but you can make lateral moves.
I enjoyed working for the staff at our 58 county courts
Our staff assisted our assigned court's HR staff with payroll questions and issues that came up. We also helped the court's staff finalize their payroll on a bi-weekly basis.
High Level Executive Administration of the Judicial Branch of California
The Judicial Council is the policymaking body of the California courts, the largest court system in the nation. Under the leadership of the Chief Justice of California and in accordance with the California Constitution, the council is responsible for ensuring the consistent, independent, impartial, and accessible administration of justice. Judicial Council staff implements the council’s policies.

Working for this branch of government has been a valued education. My colleagues and I have grown in our knowledge and professionalism over the years. In my opinion, this organization is staffed with highly educated intellectual individuals who’s’ innovative ideas are at the for front of government administration. The Judicial Council is not the typical government entity. We are a hard working, conscientious group of individuals who regularly spend many hours beyond the typical 9 to 5 day of a government employee to ensure the most effective and fair delivery of services. The Judicial Council, although the governing body for the Judicial Branch, is also a very innovative forward thinking organization that takes risks for the benefit of the public.
Poor management, unexciting workplace
The paid time off, including lots of holidays, is very generous and should not be overlooked. Other than that, benefits are so-so, worse if you are comparing to tech companies.

There are some pockets of this agency that are ok, but overall management is poor, promising great things that they can't deliver. Most prominently, the opportunity for advancement is mostly nonexistent. Much of this is due to state budgetary issues, so JC management isn't entirely to blame. However, they do nothing to compensate for that. For example, telecommuting became much more restricted in the year before I left.

If you are an attorney, this can be a great place to work. For anyone else, it really depends on which group you work in within the agency.

Also, in terms of culture, be aware that this is mostly older people with families. They tend to care a lot about the wellbeing of the agency, but mostly because they're worried about job security (which is understandable).
Pros
generous paid time off, reasonable hours
Cons
lack of opportunities, poor management, boring office environment
Access to justice
Organinzation in flux. Dedicated people excelling in a critically inadequate budget environment.
Not a place to work
Administrative Office of the Courts/Judicial Council of California is not an employer that is able to support its employees in any way shape or form. No good deed goes unpunished within the AOC. There is no opportunity for advancement, no attempt to foster a positive culture, no integrity on the part of leadership as related to employees and no culture of professional development, there is no support of staff, accomplishments are rarely recognized, decisions are undermined. The construction inspector has been placed under the supervision of risk management; the manager thumbed through the code book and understands the whole building code process. Be very cautious on what you do and what you say with the Administrative Office of the Courts/Judicial Council of California.
Cons
No support form the manager or co-workers
Great people
My position was a really boring project. But, the people were great.
Horrible job -- wish I had never heard of this place.
Old fashioned.
Political.

Shrewd.

If you don't own a red "power tie" then you'll be largely ignored by a lot of senior management, who still feel that it's the 1980s. The HR department for the AOC was egregiously mismanaged, cruel and manipulative and hardly served to the benefit of the courts or California, despite their motto.

I literally heard my co-workers weep in misery from the other side of the cubicle walls, daily and in the Human Resources department.

Run. Run far and run fast away from this place.
Pros
None.
Cons
Little visibility, a lot of busywork and self congratulating. Poor work culture, environment and life balance.
Productive Team Environment
Everyone is goal-orientated and dedicated to the success of the program.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Budget Cuts
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Judicial Council of California. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6
2.8
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
1.7Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Judicial Council of California Reviews by Job Title