K-VA-T Food City Employee Reviews

Flexible schedule
Assistant Store Manager/Store Manager (Current Employee) –  LaFayette, GADecember 25, 2018
Food City is a good place to have a retail career. Flexible hours. Competitive pay if your in a management position. Paid vacation if you are full time. Part time benefits are available
Pros
One hour lunches
Cons
On your feet alot
Loved working there at first,but...
Courtesy Clerk/Cashier/Fuel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hazard, KYJanuary 10, 2019
Working at Food City for almost 6 years, you learn quite a few things. Especially about Management and fellow co-workers. I loved working there for the longest time, my first three years employed at Food City I felt at peace. I enjoyed helping customers and my fellow employees, gathering shopping carts, stocking the shelves....

Gas-N-Go was when it got bad, after a short time of being out in the Kiosk things started to get stressful. The Pumps would constantly act up, Gas Visits wouldnt appear or would give someone a discount and then they'd come up to pay but the price would have gone up because the discount vanished. Management would joke and claim nothing was wrong because problems didnt repeat when they tried. Had to go so far as to record the Problems on a Cellular Phone to prove what I was saying. Front End Managers would occasionally forget about our Lunches and Breaks, and would claim we wont get both and force us to take 35 minute lunches if we wanted our paid 15 minute break. Just a bunch of things, oh and for probably a year our Air Conditioning Unit/Heater wouldnt work. And they didnt feel it was important enough to repair it. (Despite it being a health risk when the Kiosk would heat up to 100F or similar. )

For months I had requested to move departments, and for a time I was working split shifts. Half of my Shift would be as a Courtesy Clerk, my starting position gathering shopping carts and bagging while the rest would be in Gas N Go. However, eventually I was allowed to transfer departments to the bakery deli in promise of a raise. Which, I never got.
  more... So all in all, if you decide to work with this company. Don't trust any promises Management makes, and make sure to document everything you think might be important later. And keep a eye on your time,they have a habit of adjusting it to fit their thoughts.  less
Flexible, nice people
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Trenton, GAJanuary 14, 2019
Most of the time the managers worked with their employees, who need time off. People and management were mostly nice and understanding. Promotions weren't as frequent for employees that couldn't work flexible hours.
Pros
1 hour lunches
Cons
mostly part time without benefits
Great place to start out and for school kids
Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport, TNJanuary 22, 2019
A great place for kids to start out, they work with school schedules and events. Try to learn as many departments as possible to maximize your possible advancement opportunities. Especially move off the front end if you want to get better pay. They will generally work with you to find a place you fit in the store.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, decent benefits
Cons
Unless you move into management or leave the front end you will be part time only
Productive and good money and benifits
Lead Loader (Current Employee) –  Abingdon, VAFebruary 5, 2019
Fast pace work with incentives. Money and benefits are good. Management could be better. Overall, good work experience and co-workers. I didn't feel like there was a lot of advancement opportunity.
Fun workplace
Part Time Stocker (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, TNNovember 7, 2018
Very relaxed place to work; plenty of opportunities for advancement or pay raises. The management was very fair and kind. There was nothing hard about my job; I enjoyed helping customers find what they needed.
Pros
Paid lunch, good hours
Cons
Short Breaks
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Front end manager (Current Employee) –  White Pine, TNDecember 30, 2018
Food City is a great place to work. It is not hard, yet, it gives you experience in working with the public. I learned a lot about people working that job. Management was good, they work with you however you need and they care about you. There are no really hard parts of the job. The most enjoyable parts of the job are the regular customers who you get to know.
Pros
several breaks
Cons
no benifits
Stay on your toes.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, TNOctober 19, 2018
Food City is a fairly harsh place to work. Usually, there would be a few managers who would not be "in the mood" and not work with you or anyone. Granted, some are happy to help, but the majority just want their pay and leave. Co-workers are reasonable, they start off quiet, but once you get to know them they will warm up to you. I have not yet received a raise that increased my pay enough to benefit off of. The hardest part of the job is managing to make the environment stable. As in, keep the customers happy, let the managers know you need assistance, etc. I personally, would not recommend this certain grocery store for anyone with a soft heart and thin skin. You need to accept critiques, bias workers, and all-around upset people within the work area. Besides the negatives, it's a decent place to work for. You do your job, make the customers happy, and you're on your own way.
Pros
Welcoming customers, Reliable Workers
Cons
Bias Managers, Underpay, Strict Time Schedule
Food City
Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisa, KY 41230November 12, 2018
The problem this company has is no competitive benefits. The insurance they offer is decent but better options are out there. The current state of the company is a huge decline in labor. Most part time employees are lucky to receive 15 hours on a good week and are left having to wait by the phone in hopes of call-ins. In one stores case, they often from open to close operate with 6 cashiers all day, which puts unreal stress upon employees.
This Company Doesn't Care About Employees
Front End Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 25, 2018
Food City doesn't care about their employees. We get no employee discount--except for the time when the company turned 100 years old, and all we got was a 1 time use coupon for 10% off store brands. We get "associate coupons" that print out on the catalina coupon machines (if you're lucky enough to check out on a register with a working one) that are usually 50¢ off beans, or something similar to that. Management is robotic and will always choose the customer over you, even if you were just following store policy. It is very obvious that corporate doesn't actually work at one of our stores because their demands for our store are almost never practical. Whenever anyone comes from corporate to "inspect" they always just buy beer and leave quickly. I am often doing 3 or 4 people's jobs at once because we are so understaffed. Work is often hectic and stressful. The payscale is unregulated. A cashier who has been there one year longer makes a dime more than me. A courtesy clerk who has been there just a few months longer makes the same as me. I went to my boss for a raise and never heard back. Food City has been a good first job, but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone.
Pros
flexible scheduling, I love my coworkers
Cons
no employee discount, customers always come first, unregulated payscale
Very stressful job
Deli Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 12, 2018
Food City really doesn't care about there employees they feel we are a dime a dozen. There is no team work mangers don't want to help out at all when short handed. Foodcity is always under staffed. They start people at the bottom on the chain minimum wage and only give about 21 to 23 cent raise a year. They add more and more to the to do list everyday and don't add any more money or people to do it with.
Pros
Cheap insurance
Cons
Work loads with such short staff ppl quit everyday
Relaxed and very much team oriented
Assistant Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GAOctober 9, 2018
The majority of the employees at Food City are currently in or just recently graduated high school, as expected there is constantly drama and rumors being spread between themselves and the older, more mature staff. There is very little and inadequate training provided in all positions, which makes you rely on your own curiosity to figure most things out.
Pros
Paid 15 minute breaks, dental and vision insurance offered for part-time; 401K, stock ownership, health, dental, vision, and life insurance offered to full-time employees
Cons
Drama, low pay rate, little opportunities for advancement
Stressful, poor management
Employee (Current Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 17, 2018
This company is so stressful to work for. Everything is unorganized, they're always short staffed and everybody's in bad moods. God forbid you are sick, you most likely will not find anyone to cover you and you'll be stuck at work sick expected to perform admirably. They don't give breaks at correct times and anytime you need a manager, seems like they've all magically disappeared. They do not care about their employees.
Pros
Cons
Stressful. Poor Management. Low Pay. No benefits.
Laid Back
COURTESY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNDecember 10, 2018
Managers and coworkers were very friendly, very laid back, lots of benefits, great first job would recommend for any young adult, very clean and safe working environment
Challenging and exciting workplace with fantastic management
COURTESY CLERK/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Independence, VASeptember 6, 2018
At Food City, I would stock grocery in various shifts, and assist in closing the store in the evenings. I learned skills such as self-management, prioritizing, collaboration, and customer service. The management was fantastic, as everyone was very down-to-earth and very friendly. The culture was fast-paced at times, but very accepting and very comfortable. The hardest part of the job was the varying shifts, such as an ad-changing shift ending at 12am and then a weekend specialty shift starting at 5am and ending at 7:30pm. However, the job was overall enjoyable and the connections and friendships I made were unforgettable.
Pros
Great break/lunch break rules, friendly coworkers, and flexible hours.
Cons
Not many employee benefits for part-time employees.
There are alot of racist employees
Seafood Specialist @Food City (Former Employee) –  DaytonAugust 28, 2018
I wish I hadn't wasted a year plus of my life on this place,if you're a woman or person of color don't apply here. I was called names by male co workers,herd people using racial slurs regularly,forced to stay over and then cut the next day to avoid me getting over time pay(the men got ot regularly)The last straw was when I received my review and scored a 96%and did not receive a raise, meanwhile my male co worker who scored much lower was given a raise
Pros
Benefits, paid holidays
Cons
Poor management, hour long breaks in the middle of your shift making the work day longer
High stress with not enough pay.
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hixson, TNSeptember 15, 2018
Everyone's attitude is basically horrible due to the fact that in most retail as with food city they try to squeeze blood out of a turnip. They want you to work multiple jobs for the same pay as well as not go over 40 hours. And therefore ask you to cut your time in a longer lunch resulting in doing them a favor, you get out later without any compensation.
Pros
Its hard to get fired.
Its a local store
great environment
slow computer systems
no benefits
liked the fast paced
never a slow moment which I enjoyed very much
Terrivle place to work. Give it a minute and you will see.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNOctober 6, 2018
No employee benefits that show you their appreciation. Stay for a year and you just get a pin. If you start part time its very hard to go full time or they simply wont let you. You ask to train to be a manager when a few quit but they dont, even when you give any reason not to select you. Other employees are dirty no matter what face they put on. My fiance also has worked their and walked out when she heard she was only going to get 5 hrs for one week. Pay rate is terrible even staying for over a year and a half. We are now in more debt because they didnt allow her to go back full time. This job is only for teenagers in high school for a little cash for gas or small personal interest.
Pros
Cons
Many
Grateful
Bakery Deli Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, VAOctober 8, 2018
Typically evaluated the deli meats/cheeses for dated items, prepared and displayed deli salads, kept area clean and safe.
The others I worked with in front of house, I'm still friends with.
I learned to be patient from and with my manager. He is a "company man", and that is my opinion on that.
I am grateful they hired me. I did enjoy most of the people I worked with.
Pros
I got a nice hat
Cons
Not nearly enough compensation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at K-VA-T Food City. Our community is ready to answer.