K1 Speed Employee Reviews

Terrible Management
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 19, 2019
High expectations for employees. Terrible management. If a person calls out, all the stress and work is put on you to take care of parties, cook food, and serve drinks while checking people in, selling races and signing them up for their races.
Fast paced and fun
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAMarch 3, 2019
The company is fun to work for if you're looking for something that is different than what you're used to. When you have support from a great time, it really makes a positive impact on our customers.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Can sometimes be overwhelming
Job can be fun but more often than not it is more stressful than anything
TRACK SUPERVISOR/ TRACK STAFF (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 19, 2019
If you have good coworkers that job can be fun, but from the corporate side, in all honesty is not good. Most of the time, when things are mentioned such as, needing things for your center, need things fixed, or replaced, they drag their feet and take forever to actually do something, and when they do its bare minimum and the cheapest way possible, which usually ends up not fixing the problem. The company only looks out for itself. They are open 364 days a year, You only get Thanksgiving off, and the company expects you to do all this work for very little pay and hardly ever give pay increases and when they do its not by much. You are better off working for another company.
Pros
Interactions with cool customers sometimes
Cons
Bad corporate division, little pay, employees aren't taken care of
Small Company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 7, 2019
Day always started with opening facility and running simple errands. Most of the day during the week was managing hours and customers depending on customer flow. Weekends consisted of mainly managing customers end ensuring events went soothly. Customer interaction and customer safety was a priority. It was defiantly a fun place to work at and the racing was fun.
Pros
Fun place to be
Cons
lack of growth
Fun environment run by a bad corporation
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJanuary 29, 2019
While I loved the co-workers and managers I had at K1, that was not enough to say this experience was worth it. We had the terrible opportunity of being shut down overnight without warning from our higher-ups. When I say we had no idea we were shutting down, I mean even our managers and regional manager had no idea until they were called in the morning of and told we were no longer open starting from there on out. K1 Speed is a sneaky and greedy corporation that does not care about the little people. Definitely a different type of minimum wage job and was fun while it lasted. I would not recommend going into that job thinking it will be something permanent. If you're looking for some extra cash while in between jobs and don't wanna work at a restaurant or another same old same old place I would recommend. Its fast-paced and doesn't always give you a minute to breath but lets the time go by fast. Customers will complain to you about things out of your control but that's retail. The best part (for me) was the fun co-workers we had. But I also enjoyed the few customers, usually from parties, who would come up and thank us for the great time they had. People like them made the job worth coming in for.
Very Fun
Track Operator (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 26, 2019
Very fun environment, job inst too taxing at times, but is cut throat at other times, get paid in tips from parties. Management has gotten a little worse, but it is ok.
It's not all it seems to be.
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 13, 2019
Super bad upper management support. If you are okay dealing with irritated people all day this job is super easy. Oh and SUPER LONG hours.Since I have been there their entire crew has changed. Tells ya something.
Productive but very self oriented..
Head Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJanuary 10, 2019
Not worth the time to put in hard work. Put in 2 years avg. Head mechanic pay for whole company was 17$ I only made 13...worked for 2 years..nothing to show for it.
I left quick
Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 4, 2019
I was hired to be a manager, horrible training, not paid what I was promised, insanely cheap company. Customers avoided us because they would ask for certain services and upper management would say "that's not what we're about" but then blame managers for poor numbers.
When they recruited me, they made all kinds of promises, and I found out in the first week they didn't plan on keeping any of them (salary, 2 days off, proper staffing, certified trainers)
Pros
Cons
See above
Coworkers make or break your shift
Track Associate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILNovember 4, 2018
On a typical day, you have at least 40 customers, so you brief them about the rules and how to drive the carts and then assort them into races. On weekends, there are usually several hundred customers which makes the job ask much more of you physically and mentally. It is all a team effort so if one person is lazy, everyone else suffers. My manager was great but the ones before him were apparently terrible and almost abusive. It's a fun environment to be around but the pay probably doesn't equal the stress and hours you go through for most people. The worst is customers that don't know how to drive or think they know how to drive because they crash over and over and put others in danger.
Pros
3 free races per week, fun coworkers, good manager at the time
Cons
Iffy managers sometimes, stressful
Terrible work/life balance and very low compensation for hours worked
General Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 9, 2018
The company is very prone to making snap decisions that are often made without any type of forethought. These decisions are made and implemented almost overnight and a majority of the time are not communicated with the GMs/Managers of the locations outside of California (where HQ is located). A majority of the time, GMs find out about new promotions or new events via an email blast that we send to our customers which leaves us with little to no information and it also makes it so that we are unable to answer any customer questions until we eventually hear back from someone in corporate about it.

The company also does a wonderful job of taking advantage of manager's salaries by having a 50hr minimum workweek as well as increasing the amount of work that needs to be done by the GM/Manager without increasing the pay. They try to entice you by having an achievable bonus structure, but the bonus structure can be changed by corporate at any time for any reason and it has changed 3 times since the start of 2018. To make matters worse, they often set the goals too high to be achieved by regular means.

Communication between corporate and individual centers is lackluster at best and they often ask for input from us as GMs/Managers as a means of appeasing us because there have been so many complaints about issues falling on deaf ears in the past.

Lastly, and perhaps most alarmingly, is the overall compensation that the company has been giving to their newest hires. Because the company is struggling financially, they have started to lay off high-performance individuals that make
  more... a decent salary in order to replace them with less-competent, much cheaper, workers who are new to the company and have no real idea what others in their position are typically paid. If you are thinking of joining the company, be very aware that they will be offering you much less than what others in your exact same position are making. The company is currently trending toward dramatically increasing the workload of us as GM's while keeping wages stagnant for everyone across the board.  less
Pros
Fun work environment if you hire a solid group of track staff and cashiers. Also, the free races are fun if you don't overdo it!
Cons
Work/life balance, Communication from corporate offices, bonus structure, overall salary
Proud to be a K1 representative
Track Attendant (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAOctober 4, 2018
Great place to work. Recommend 9/10! They’ve taught us how to work together. Everybody there is just so friendly! I like how the radios help us connect to each other and talk to resolve problems.
Pros
Company is excellent
Cons
Management is sometimes odd
Productive, fun place to work with go karting.
Cashier/Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCSeptember 26, 2018
Overall I enjoyed working at K1 and I would probably go back for the summer. I feel the work I was doing was equal to the amount I was getting paid. The working environment could be negative at times but overall I was happy there.
Just Keeps Getting Worse.
Manager (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAAugust 17, 2018
I worked for this company for almost 6 years, and have watched it go from a once fun, great place to work. To possibly the worst corporation around. Your life at K1 speed will include long hours (10hrs-14hrs a day), no meal breaks for managers (wasn’t able to take one my last 4 years), empty promise after empty promise, no support from upper management, certainly will never see a review, and a “corporate” office that rotates through staff weekly. Look forward to cluecless regional management showing up to your center with a laundry list of to-dos then disappear to not be seen or heard from again for about two months. It does hurt to see this company fall so hard, but now that I’m gone Im somewhat enjoying it.
Very hard to work for this company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 10, 2018
They over work you in bad conditions. Employees in summer had to work in over 110 degree weather when given a fan that they couldn't even stand next to because it was used for the customers overheating ..put minimal staff on hand for big events to where my employees can barely take a breather. There was a GOOD amount of time where I couldn't take lunches as a supervisor because the work load was too much but they shrugged their shoulders and said we have to.. No compassion for the track guys or management staff. Corporate would throw a $3000 Christmas party and my track staff got a picture next to the podium saying thanks. I myself and my general manager was let go from the company this last month with no write ups, examples, explaining of anything that we have done wrong and was let go without warning...lots more to say..if someone would follow up that will be ok. All in all their is something up with k1 speed
Pros
Me famous people alot
Cons
Read the above review statement
Managed for four years never was reviewed
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
Bunch of scumbags use you up then spit you out. Never had a review the whole time I worked for them , no training or support . It is all about putting money in their bank. Do not care for the employees, pay minimum wage .
Pros
Cons
No integrity
Can be a fun place to work, BUT.....
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 30, 2018
It should be a fun place to work, but corporate keeps changing everything up . Which makes for a very stressful place to be at. Can't trust your job there.
Pros
fun place
Cons
poorly run corporation
Management is very difficult to work with
Track Operator (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJuly 29, 2018
During my time there management was constantly shuffled. No manager was there longer then 3 weeks. This made things difficult because the staff had to take accountably of the store. Most of the time they would also take advantage of good workers by scheduling them to run their area solely by them selfs.
Fun workplace for entry level job
Track Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJuly 17, 2018
this company is good for anyone who is looking for a entry level job. this is a customer service based job that is good for anyone who is looking to get into the customer service industry. Most of the people that work here are coming out of high school or in college. the company is good at working for people schedule if you are going to school or have other jobs.
Pros
fun staff, good on schedule
Cons
not much room to grow, repetative
Perfect out of high school job!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJuly 12, 2018
The job itself was easy but the drama that came with it wasn’t worth it. Everyone always talked behind each other’s backs including the assistant manager and supervisors. The GM was a good manager that did back up his employees. Basically watch out for yourself and don’t make friends if your just there for a paycheck. No room for advancement and the pay was awful for EVERYTHING that you had to do, which for the cashiers is literally everything! Most employees were very unprofessional and would throw you under the bus in a second. Not worth the headache!
Pros
Worked with school schedule
Cons
Pay, drama, no room for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at K1 Speed. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight