K1 Speed Employee Reviews

Terrible work/life balance and very low compensation for hours worked
General Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 9, 2018
The company is very prone to making snap decisions that are often made without any type of forethought. These decisions are made and implemented almost overnight and a majority of the time are not communicated with the GMs/Managers of the locations outside of California (where HQ is located). A majority of the time, GMs find out about new promotions or new events via an email blast that we send to our customers which leaves us with little to no information and it also makes it so that we are unable to answer any customer questions until we eventually hear back from someone in corporate about it.

The company also does a wonderful job of taking advantage of manager's salaries by having a 50hr minimum workweek as well as increasing the amount of work that needs to be done by the GM/Manager without increasing the pay. They try to entice you by having an achievable bonus structure, but the bonus structure can be changed by corporate at any time for any reason and it has changed 3 times since the start of 2018. To make matters worse, they often set the goals too high to be achieved by regular means.

Communication between corporate and individual centers is lackluster at best and they often ask for input from us as GMs/Managers as a means of appeasing us because there have been so many complaints about issues falling on deaf ears in the past.

Lastly, and perhaps most alarmingly, is the overall compensation that the company has been giving to their newest hires. Because the company is struggling financially, they have started to lay off high-performance individuals that make
  more... a decent salary in order to replace them with less-competent, much cheaper, workers who are new to the company and have no real idea what others in their position are typically paid. If you are thinking of joining the company, be very aware that they will be offering you much less than what others in your exact same position are making. The company is currently trending toward dramatically increasing the workload of us as GM's while keeping wages stagnant for everyone across the board.  less
Pros
Fun work environment if you hire a solid group of track staff and cashiers. Also, the free races are fun if you don't overdo it!
Cons
Work/life balance, Communication from corporate offices, bonus structure, overall salary
Proud to be a K1 representative
Track Attendant (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAOctober 4, 2018
Great place to work. Recommend 9/10! They’ve taught us how to work together. Everybody there is just so friendly! I like how the radios help us connect to each other and talk to resolve problems.
Pros
Company is excellent
Cons
Management is sometimes odd
Just Keeps Getting Worse.
Manager (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAAugust 17, 2018
I worked for this company for almost 6 years, and have watched it go from a once fun, great place to work. To possibly the worst corporation around. Your life at K1 speed will include long hours (10hrs-14hrs a day), no meal breaks for managers (wasn’t able to take one my last 4 years), empty promise after empty promise, no support from upper management, certainly will never see a review, and a “corporate” office that rotates through staff weekly. Look forward to cluecless regional management showing up to your center with a laundry list of to-dos then disappear to not be seen or heard from again for about two months. It does hurt to see this company fall so hard, but now that I’m gone Im somewhat enjoying it.
Very hard to work for this company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 10, 2018
They over work you in bad conditions. Employees in summer had to work in over 110 degree weather when given a fan that they couldn't even stand next to because it was used for the customers overheating ..put minimal staff on hand for big events to where my employees can barely take a breather. There was a GOOD amount of time where I couldn't take lunches as a supervisor because the work load was too much but they shrugged their shoulders and said we have to.. No compassion for the track guys or management staff. Corporate would throw a $3000 Christmas party and my track staff got a picture next to the podium saying thanks. I myself and my general manager was let go from the company this last month with no write ups, examples, explaining of anything that we have done wrong and was let go without warning...lots more to say..if someone would follow up that will be ok. All in all their is something up with k1 speed
Pros
Me famous people alot
Cons
Read the above review statement
Managed for four years never was reviewed
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
Bunch of scumbags use you up then spit you out. Never had a review the whole time I worked for them , no training or support . It is all about putting money in their bank. Do not care for the employees, pay minimum wage .
Pros
Cons
No integrity
Can be a fun place to work, BUT.....
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 30, 2018
It should be a fun place to work, but corporate keeps changing everything up . Which makes for a very stressful place to be at. Can't trust your job there.
Pros
fun place
Cons
poorly run corporation
Management is very difficult to work with
Track Operator (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJuly 29, 2018
During my time there management was constantly shuffled. No manager was there longer then 3 weeks. This made things difficult because the staff had to take accountably of the store. Most of the time they would also take advantage of good workers by scheduling them to run their area solely by them selfs.
Fun workplace for entry level job
Track Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJuly 17, 2018
this company is good for anyone who is looking for a entry level job. this is a customer service based job that is good for anyone who is looking to get into the customer service industry. Most of the people that work here are coming out of high school or in college. the company is good at working for people schedule if you are going to school or have other jobs.
Pros
fun staff, good on schedule
Cons
not much room to grow, repetative
Perfect out of high school job!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJuly 12, 2018
The job itself was easy but the drama that came with it wasn’t worth it. Everyone always talked behind each other’s backs including the assistant manager and supervisors. The GM was a good manager that did back up his employees. Basically watch out for yourself and don’t make friends if your just there for a paycheck. No room for advancement and the pay was awful for EVERYTHING that you had to do, which for the cashiers is literally everything! Most employees were very unprofessional and would throw you under the bus in a second. Not worth the headache!
Pros
Worked with school schedule
Cons
Pay, drama, no room for advancement
Fun enviromment
Track Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJuly 3, 2018
Getting to know your customers and watching them leave happy is what I enjoyed most. If you like Fast-paced work and an opportunity to meet new people on a daily basis, I would recommend.
Pros
Get to meet new people
Cons
Needs to improve on managment and communication
Fun place to work. Always busy and having fun with racing!
Pit Operator (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 8, 2018
I worked at K1 Carlsbad for 2+ years and just graduated from college. I loved my job being a pit guy there. High energy and motivating customers on how to race fast was so much fun! The GM was always working with us and handled anything that was negative with customers or other employees. Only negative was getting a holiday or more than an occasional weekend off was tough. This is only because that is when it's busy there. I'll miss working there!
Pros
Great invironment
Cons
Gets hot and sweaty sometimes
Great stepping stone into the workforce
TRACK CREW (Former Employee) –  Doral, FLJune 5, 2018
My time in k1 speed was very fun i made great friends and did have fun on the job while making sure the customers were safe and adhering to the rules of the track overall. Management was very helpful and were always willing to listen to our concerns. The workplace was fastpaced with never a dull moment but when it was slow we had a chance to talk and interact with each other.
Pros
Discounts on food, learn to ride the karts, free races throughout the week
Cons
Little to no job advancement
Great for a first job
Customer service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 30, 2018
I enjoyed working here but it's a better job for young teens. It is not a professional atmosphere but I feel like management was way too strict on dress code such as no tattoos, colored hair, short hair (for girls), black socks only, no jeans, etc. It is also extremely hot inside with no A/C. It's a lot of work for such little pay and no flexible work days.
poor managment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIMay 22, 2018
no communication with management.. a lot of favoritism and no advance to move up within the company.. the crew was good but the management sucked.. all in all though i made some cool friends..
Don't Waste you time
Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaMay 19, 2018
Small operation, with no growth. Very poo safety standards and supervision. Growing with this company is a pip dream and your input means next to nothing.
Fast-paced and fun workplace
TRACK SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Fishers, INMay 15, 2018
K1 Speed is perfect for workers who need to be constantly moving. While the slower hours may consist of cleaning and finding ways to keep motivated, the busy hours require non-stop moving and attention. The atmosphere is relaxed and full of opportunities to connect with coworkers.
Pros
Three free races a week
Cons
Not much advancement
managers manipulate and deceive.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMay 14, 2018
Managers just do whatever they like not caring about employees. making sure they get what they want then leave you hanging. i will not recommend this job to anyone, but people are free to try it out.
fast paced
Track hand (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 13, 2018
doing the same tasks at top speed is the name of the game you have to make sure all of your gear is up to snuff and all of your customers have been properly tended to for their convenience as well as their safety
Nothing but stressful
Full-time Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85034April 12, 2018
Seems like everyone is out for your job. Poor management. Nothing but drama and employee praise seems like a rare occasion. The pay there is fairly poor in my opinion. More along the lines of a job for a college student otherwise you run into the difficulty of being paid enough to barely afford your own bills. Not very satisfied with my time there.
Fun Place to Work
EVENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLApril 4, 2018
Sold packages to customers
Hosted private parties and events
Organized races
Explained Safety Procedures
Maintained clean environemnt
Weekly scheduling for 15 employess

Ask a question about working or interviewing at K1 Speed. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

1.9Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight