K12 Employee Reviews

Slow ride into oblivion
Personal Admissions Liaison (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNFebruary 16, 2019
K12 in Alcoa has veered dramatically off-course. I had the distinction of having my child attending one of their schools and it nearly destroyed his ability to function in a traditional public school when he returned. I never complained and soldiered on for the sake of my view that many children still succeed. In the 4 1/2 years I was there, my total raises put together never exceeded a dollar although I worked on special teams, acting supervisor roles, etc. Unfortunately, I had an unrelated back injury that required extensive surgeries and rehab. I was treated by human resources as though I were an enemy of the company when I was on FMLA and ADA. After having a complication with my Hashimoto's disease that affected my voice, the human resources person pounced on the opportunity to get rid of me while I was getting all the appropriate paperwork together (and had already turned in much of). In the end, I feel so very heartbroken that the company that I worked hard for found it so easy be bullies. I suppose in the end, it was a lesson that giving too much of yourself to a company is a mistake now a days since they seldom proved they deserve it from you.
Pros
Desk job, co-workers
Cons
Human Resources and bully management
I loved it there!
Personal Admissions Liaison (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNFebruary 13, 2019
I was very sad to have to leave. My manager was amazing, my team was amazing! I loved what we worked for by getting kids that need it into online schools with so many benefits like the public schools without the violence or anything.
I recommend this place highly to anyone and if we moved closer, i would most definitely try applying again.
Pros
They sometimes provide lunches in busy season. They are super fun!
Cons
Nothing honestly.
Working for K12/Fueleducation
Teacher (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 12, 2019
Starting with K12, there is a lot of information that comes at you quickly. You have to be dedicated and truly want to have a virtual teaching job to be able to get through the learning period. Once you are comfortable with your many job responsibilities, the work load lessons and you truly get to enjoy the benefits of working from home. The biggest mistake that new teachers make is that they think that a work from home job is less work than a classroom job. In many ways, it's harder. If you have small children at home, you have to balance the role of stay at home mom with the role of full time teacher. This is the hardest and if you do not have a helpful spouse/childcare/help with household tasks, you will not enjoy your time.

Now that I am adjusted to the role, a typical day for me would start with checking emails for anything urgent. This usually results in a phone call or 2 to a student/family. After email is completed, I grade any assignments that have been submitted. We are required to have a voice to voice conversation with students monthly, so I call a few students each day (about 10). I hold live classes where students meet in the online classroom for a lesson. I typically eat lunch while working so that I can take time to have a mental health break and exercise. Throughout the day, I get requests from clients for grades, communications, excalations, etc.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Low pay, high work load
Not worth the time
Enrollment Representative (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNJanuary 27, 2019
This company has no job security unless you kiss up and work a lot of inconvenient overtime. They want someone who takes orders and don't care about the parents. This company is very unorganized.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
short breaks (no time to use the restroom), bad break room food, ignorant managers an upper management
No no no
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 10, 2019
There are always some pros and cons to any job, but the cons with k12 are SO negative it’s hard to remember the pros. Micro managing superiors who have no idea what teaching is or should be are making decisions that hurt students. For profit education is gross and clearly shows through every aspect of teachers’ orders. The requirements seem reasonable until you realize you’re human and it’s nearly impossible to engage students who have been expelled from many schools for being disengaged, and the school has become a dumping ground for the chronically expelled. Regardless, k12 teachers are tasked with educating, communicating with, inspiring, and tracking these kids, while at the same time performing most administrative duties, keeping and assessing data (beyond what is typically asked if a teacher, because the purpose is finding out how to make the most $ off the kids, NOT how to do what is best for them), troubleshooting tech issues, training themselves, being their own support system, and tiptoeing around unreasonable requirements. People are advanced due to corrupt friendships, and removed for the same reason. It was an embarrassment to tell people where I worked. Very sad state of affairs at what should have been a great opportunity for kids who really need this option.
Pros
Work from home, kids
Cons
Management, expectations, corruption
Love my Job
Workforce Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNDecember 15, 2018
I have had many jobs that I always came home and complained about. I very rarely complain and am very happy for a change. It is an awesome company to work for.
not worth it
Personal Admissions Liaison (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNDecember 8, 2018
Their training program is a joke!!! You learn nothing until you’re out on the floor making mistakes left and right without even knowing. I liked this job at first but then we had “mandatory” overtime, yeah right. Pays really well, but not enough to compensate for a life outside of work. If you want to work for a company that doesn’t care about their employees and has corrupt management, look no further!
Pros
pay
Cons
long hours, favoritism, management
Toxic and inept management, lack of job security.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 25, 2018
At first things were great: I had a manager who valued me as an employee, valued my work, I was surrounded by a team of supportive and constructive peers, and I had tons of challenging work that was rewarding and fulfilling. Soon that manager got promoted (an anomaly) and I found myself underneath the heavy heel of a miserable micro-manager who took her self loathing out on anyone whom she disliked. This company's corporate structure is one of greed and toxicity, upper management's sole purpose is financial gain and it is a selfish ethos that trickles down to drown out the people in the ranks actually doing the work. And there is plenty of incredible talent in the ranks, however, that talent is over-worked, underappreciated and rarely tenured. No one stays for long and that is a red flag that should not be overlooked.If you want to work hard only to be tossed out as soon as you are no longer valuable then by all means apply. This place is cancerous and toxic.

You may dismiss this review as anecdotal, as it may be, but feel free to google this company...
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
No benefits, no loyalty, inept and overbearing management
Stressful environment with abusive management styles.
Director (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 16, 2018
I like the mission at K12 but the environment is extremely stressful with upper management micro-managing everything. The work/life balance is non-existent. Upper management say they care about employees but they never display it.
Pros
Some flexiblity.
Cons
Stressful, merit increases, benefits, work/life balance, micro management
K12 Indiana Digital Learning School
Teacher (Current Employee) –  IndianaOctober 23, 2018
I will be resigning at the end of this semester after one semester here. While it's understandable that the school is growing, it is very poorly managed. There is a lot of turnover of students and enrollment of new students; most schools have a cut-off point, including their biggest competitor here. And there is no limit on class size. I have about 250 students in 4 class sections.
There are a lot of technology issues. I mean out of the 4 days I teach, about 1/4 of the lessons don't record, which students then can't view later. You will spend a lot of extra time fixing gradebook issues and grading. You have to constantly update your availability on Skype and the phone system (which they changed since the start of the year).
K12 does not pay based on experience or education, so be forewarned about that ahead of time. Everyone starts at a flat rate. Teachers with only 6 months student teaching experience and those with 15 years teaching experience should not be treated the same. Benefits are very expensive. 401K enrollment is automatic, which I don't think is fair because I could use that extra money.
And we're expected to stay in Indiana at a hotel overnight in December for professional development. When I interviewed, they told us the only travel would be "a couple times a year for testing".
Be prepared for a lot of days of standardized testing too.
Pros
Some great students
Cons
Salary, Management, Extra Hours
The job itself is great. The company that runs it though ruins it.
Personal Admissions Liaison (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNOctober 10, 2018
Micromanaged schedules, no room for growth, empty promises, and lack of understanding to human life. They hire with promise of greatness and you leave every day stressed.
Fun productive workplace, but not a lot of opportunity to advance
IT Service Technician II (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAOctober 4, 2018
Fun productive workplace, but not a lot of opportunity to advance.
Was a great place to work until around 2015 when the founder left the company. Things started going downhill after that.
Hardest part of the job
Family Engagement Administrator (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VA 20171October 2, 2018
Trying to engage non-engaged parents and students in a virtual setting and learning to disconnect and practice self-care in a fast-paced environement where the workload is high.
Pros
remote position
Cons
work around the clock
Stressful, Uneven, Demanding Poorly Managed Contract Work Environment
Placement Counselor (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 17, 2018
Originally I'd looked forward to the opportunity to work from home as course placement counselor with k12---work from home, decent wage and able to set my own schedule to some extent. Actually, you will be pushed consistently to work faster, and faster and faster, so that K12's making all the $$, and you are just another cog in the wheel. Work is generally inconsistent, so you can do 5 hours one week, and suddenly the managers are overwhelmed, and send you 40 people to place, which you are expected to do at the drop of a hat. . Management style is overbearing, critical and downright rude. One is told to ask questions if you need help, but don't ask too many, and if you can't go any faster---you're fired. Yo are not expected to treat customers like human beings. Instead, go fast, get it done, and move on to the next. Ignore the fact that we are dealing with human beings with concerns, fears, and sometimes lots of questions. Often the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing within the organization and it's contact with the school we place for. Manager says one thing; school says another. Placement counselor is blamed when inaccurate information is supplied to place students. Tone is condescending and disrespectful when direction is given. Example: Had taken my kids to school on the first day of this school year, stopped to grab some groceries, and found this email:"Are you working today? If you don't get these 3 students called by noon, they will be removed from your list!" Please understand that we set our own hours! Management uses threats and intimidation to get  more... things done, and mind you, we are all college graduates, mature folk, responsible and caring. Sadly, K12 is all about getting it done fast to boost their bottom line. Contract workers are expected to drop everything as soon as they have something for you to do. They have incur no cost for an office, cell phone service or internet. Although they supply the clunky, awkward HP lap top, many use their own computers just because one is used to them, and often they are quicker and far more sophisticated than the HP dinosaur. Point is, K12 gives nothing but that $18 dollars an hour, and when one factors in the unprofessional behavior of management, the push, push, push mentality to go fast and save them $$, and the attitude that when they finally give you some work your world ceases to exist---it's just not worth it.  less
Pros
Working from home.
Cons
Poor management, inconsistent work, lack of customer focus.
Stay away!
Virtual Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 16, 2018
I worked for K12 at one their virtual schools from the 2010ish school year until recently. It was a wonderful place to work at first, I felt incredibly lucky to work there. Then management changes happened. You were expected to be available 24 hours a day to respond to families and admin. You work from home, but you are CONSTANTLY working. There is zero work-life balance. ZERO. Your job has to come first. Teachers are expected to do so much more than at a traditional b&m school. (Ex. sending truancy letters). Teachers are prompted to leadership positions who have no business leading a team of educators. They very clearly and with no shame pick their friends and who they like the best to be in leadership, regardless of if they should really be there. (Example, the currently elementary principal is friends with the former elementary principal, and was "suggested" for that position. Most the elementary school teachers are the very good personal friends of the current principal- everyone needs to be friends, before being leaders and admin!) The schedule is handed down to you, you MUST be at your computer the entire time. Everything is scheduled down to when you can use the restroom. This is a position working from home, but it is more regulated than a traditional school environment. Multiple teachers, (myself included), and admin, have left due to the negative impacts on our mental and physical health- from ulcers to serve anxiety.
Pros
work from home
Cons
zero work life balance, low pay, poorly managed
K12 is a great place to work!
Document Processor (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 14, 2018
K12 and their employees were very great to work with/for. I enjoyed my 3years working for k12 and if i did not have to relocated i would still be working there :)
Very collaborative work environment.
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZAugust 10, 2018
Always a great group of people. Supportive. There are multiple opportunities throughout the school year to meet with colleagues as well as virtually. There is also a great Blended Learning program with Arizona for students to receive additions in person support.
Pros
Strong supportive administration
Cons
Online teacher salaries are low. But you’re working from home.
Overall good place to work
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 28, 2018
K12 made you feel good about helping parents and children struggling within the traditional school environment. The culture was young and creative with room for growth.
Low pay but great people
High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  VirtualJuly 10, 2018
I have worked for k12 off and on for 13 years. I started as a contract employee and eventually was hired as a .5FTE employee. This is considered 1/2 time but I still put in 30-40 hrs a week and only get paid $15,500/year which is really too low even for 1/2 time. I enjoy my work (teaching online) and I like the people I work with. It is hard to move up in the company as they are constantly restructuring which means getting rid of positions. They always need teachers though. I like working from home and I get to set my own hours. If I want to go on vacation, I take my laptop along and check in a couple of times a day to read email, answer student questions and grade assignments.
Pros
Work when I want
Cons
Low pay
K12 Knoxville
Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 9, 2018
Loved working with the leadership in Knoxville. Also loved working with/for HR leadership in Herndon.
Peak season for enrollments runs from late Spring through early Fall. This is the busiest time of the year.
Employees are paid base + enrollment incentives. This makes the enrollment rep position one of the best phone-based jobs in the Knoxville area.
Leadership focuses on promoting from within.
Pros
KNX leadership, HRN HR team, bonus structure for agents
Cons
My commute was very long, but this was my chice and had nothing to do with the company.