K12 Employee Reviews

Stressful environment with abusive management styles.
Director (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VANovember 16, 2018
I like the mission at K12 but the environment is extremely stressful with upper management micro-managing everything. The work/life balance is non-existent. Upper management say they care about employees but they never display it.
Pros
Some flexiblity.
Cons
Stressful, merit increases, benefits, work/life balance, micro management
K12 Indiana Digital Learning School
Teacher (Current Employee) –  IndianaOctober 23, 2018
I will be resigning at the end of this semester after one semester here. While it's understandable that the school is growing, it is very poorly managed. There is a lot of turnover of students and enrollment of new students; most schools have a cut-off point, including their biggest competitor here. And there is no limit on class size. I have about 250 students in 4 class sections.
There are a lot of technology issues. I mean out of the 4 days I teach, about 1/4 of the lessons don't record, which students then can't view later. You will spend a lot of extra time fixing gradebook issues and grading. You have to constantly update your availability on Skype and the phone system (which they changed since the start of the year).
K12 does not pay based on experience or education, so be forewarned about that ahead of time. Everyone starts at a flat rate. Teachers with only 6 months student teaching experience and those with 15 years teaching experience should not be treated the same. Benefits are very expensive. 401K enrollment is automatic, which I don't think is fair because I could use that extra money.
And we're expected to stay in Indiana at a hotel overnight in December for professional development. When I interviewed, they told us the only travel would be "a couple times a year for testing".
Be prepared for a lot of days of standardized testing too.
Pros
Some great students
Cons
Salary, Management, Extra Hours
The job itself is great. The company that runs it though ruins it.
Personal Admissions Liaison (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNOctober 10, 2018
Micromanaged schedules, no room for growth, empty promises, and lack of understanding to human life. They hire with promise of greatness and you leave every day stressed.
Fun productive workplace, but not a lot of opportunity to advance
IT Service Technician II (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAOctober 4, 2018
Fun productive workplace, but not a lot of opportunity to advance.
Was a great place to work until around 2015 when the founder left the company. Things started going downhill after that.
Hardest part of the job
Family Engagement Administrator (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VA 20171October 2, 2018
Trying to engage non-engaged parents and students in a virtual setting and learning to disconnect and practice self-care in a fast-paced environement where the workload is high.
Pros
remote position
Cons
work around the clock
Stressful, Uneven, Demanding Poorly Managed Contract Work Environment
Placement Counselor (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 17, 2018
Originally I'd looked forward to the opportunity to work from home as course placement counselor with k12---work from home, decent wage and able to set my own schedule to some extent. Actually, you will be pushed consistently to work faster, and faster and faster, so that K12's making all the $$, and you are just another cog in the wheel. Work is generally inconsistent, so you can do 5 hours one week, and suddenly the managers are overwhelmed, and send you 40 people to place, which you are expected to do at the drop of a hat. . Management style is overbearing, critical and downright rude. One is told to ask questions if you need help, but don't ask too many, and if you can't go any faster---you're fired. Yo are not expected to treat customers like human beings. Instead, go fast, get it done, and move on to the next. Ignore the fact that we are dealing with human beings with concerns, fears, and sometimes lots of questions. Often the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing within the organization and it's contact with the school we place for. Manager says one thing; school says another. Placement counselor is blamed when inaccurate information is supplied to place students. Tone is condescending and disrespectful when direction is given. Example: Had taken my kids to school on the first day of this school year, stopped to grab some groceries, and found this email:"Are you working today? If you don't get these 3 students called by noon, they will be removed from your list!" Please understand that we set our own hours! Management uses threats and intimidation to get  more... things done, and mind you, we are all college graduates, mature folk, responsible and caring. Sadly, K12 is all about getting it done fast to boost their bottom line. Contract workers are expected to drop everything as soon as they have something for you to do. They have incur no cost for an office, cell phone service or internet. Although they supply the clunky, awkward HP lap top, many use their own computers just because one is used to them, and often they are quicker and far more sophisticated than the HP dinosaur. Point is, K12 gives nothing but that $18 dollars an hour, and when one factors in the unprofessional behavior of management, the push, push, push mentality to go fast and save them $$, and the attitude that when they finally give you some work your world ceases to exist---it's just not worth it.  less
Pros
Working from home.
Cons
Poor management, inconsistent work, lack of customer focus.
Stay away!
Virtual Teacher (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 16, 2018
I worked for K12 at one their virtual schools from the 2010ish school year until recently. It was a wonderful place to work at first, I felt incredibly lucky to work there. Then management changes happened. You were expected to be available 24 hours a day to respond to families and admin. You work from home, but you are CONSTANTLY working. There is zero work-life balance. ZERO. Your job has to come first. Teachers are expected to do so much more than at a traditional b&m school. (Ex. sending truancy letters). Teachers are prompted to leadership positions who have no business leading a team of educators. They very clearly and with no shame pick their friends and who they like the best to be in leadership, regardless of if they should really be there. (Example, the currently elementary principal is friends with the former elementary principal, and was "suggested" for that position. Most the elementary school teachers are the very good personal friends of the current principal- everyone needs to be friends, before being leaders and admin!) The schedule is handed down to you, you MUST be at your computer the entire time. Everything is scheduled down to when you can use the restroom. This is a position working from home, but it is more regulated than a traditional school environment. Multiple teachers, (myself included), and admin, have left due to the negative impacts on our mental and physical health- from ulcers to serve anxiety.
Pros
work from home
Cons
zero work life balance, low pay, poorly managed
K12 is a great place to work!
Document Processor (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 14, 2018
K12 and their employees were very great to work with/for. I enjoyed my 3years working for k12 and if i did not have to relocated i would still be working there :)
Very collaborative work environment.
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZAugust 10, 2018
Always a great group of people. Supportive. There are multiple opportunities throughout the school year to meet with colleagues as well as virtually. There is also a great Blended Learning program with Arizona for students to receive additions in person support.
Pros
Strong supportive administration
Cons
Online teacher salaries are low. But you’re working from home.
Overall good place to work
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 28, 2018
K12 made you feel good about helping parents and children struggling within the traditional school environment. The culture was young and creative with room for growth.
Low pay but great people
High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  VirtualJuly 10, 2018
I have worked for k12 off and on for 13 years. I started as a contract employee and eventually was hired as a .5FTE employee. This is considered 1/2 time but I still put in 30-40 hrs a week and only get paid $15,500/year which is really too low even for 1/2 time. I enjoy my work (teaching online) and I like the people I work with. It is hard to move up in the company as they are constantly restructuring which means getting rid of positions. They always need teachers though. I like working from home and I get to set my own hours. If I want to go on vacation, I take my laptop along and check in a couple of times a day to read email, answer student questions and grade assignments.
Pros
Work when I want
Cons
Low pay
K12 Knoxville
Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 9, 2018
Loved working with the leadership in Knoxville. Also loved working with/for HR leadership in Herndon.
Peak season for enrollments runs from late Spring through early Fall. This is the busiest time of the year.
Employees are paid base + enrollment incentives. This makes the enrollment rep position one of the best phone-based jobs in the Knoxville area.
Leadership focuses on promoting from within.
Pros
KNX leadership, HRN HR team, bonus structure for agents
Cons
My commute was very long, but this was my chice and had nothing to do with the company.
Low Pay and High Stress
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 22, 2018
Inadequate salary for education professionals coupled with minuscule raises. Yearly raise percentages often range from no raise to a half percent. With yearly insurance increases you can earn less than the previous year.

Corporate goals are set for educators which do not correlate to their position. Furthermore, educators must meet performance goals which are invalid. There is no support by management for educators. Managers pressure educators to pass students by to maintain client satisfaction. Students obtain high school credit for submitting elementary school quality work. Educators are micromanaged and required to be unethical to satisfy expectations. Client satisfaction by any means.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Salary, employee treatment, micromanagement, diploma mill
Great place if you are wonderful with people!
Enrollment Specialist or Liaison (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNMay 21, 2018
The experience has been great. Love talking with new people every day, speaking about the children. Very enjoyable. Plus, the people who work there! Fantastic works and friends almost for sure
Pros
Hour lunches, 15 minute breaks. Lots of support
Cons
N/a
Productive and fun at the work space
Contract Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAMay 19, 2018
Very relaxing environment. Cubicle-like work space and not feeling crowded. Management is friendly and want to help people to get on their career ladders.
The worst.
Head of School (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 28, 2018
There should never be such a thing as a for-profit education company. Everyone is doing the job of four people to keep costs low. And the supervisory structure is completely asinine; micro-managing doesn't begin to describe it. I hated every minute at that place after being very successful in education prior.
Director Marketing (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAMarch 26, 2018
I was there for 5 years and left because it was just time. The departments vary widely in culture, but overall the company is very focused on minimizing budgets and hitting growth targets. The industry is slowing down, and there are issues with the fundamental service.
Pros
work-life balance
Cons
lacking culture
This is a for profit Greedy Company Long Hours and Unfair Wages
K--5 Teacher (Former Employee) –  TNVAMarch 10, 2018
The company started out good, but every year the state threatens to close TNVA due to low test scores. The pay is unfair when you compare the amount of hours your employees put in. The promotions are based on who you know. This is a who you know culture. If you want to work for someone where you are promoted based on your abilities, then look for a job somewhere else. This is not the place.
Pros
Work at Home
Cons
Long Hours, Poor Pay, Micromanged Company
Charter School Experience
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2018
I would caution working for a charter school . The risk working for charter schools who don't comply with district needs are set ups for failure and the managment thats over the charter school locations have several questionable backgrounds. I would do some research on the school before going full throttle .
Pros
lunch time and traveling
Cons
management
Poor Company Values but great workers
Senior Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAMarch 6, 2018
The company has had great leadership turnover in the last 3 years - every senior member has left. The company has seen significant layoffs, 4 rounds in 2.5 years. They are behind the times and just do not value the talent they have/had. No clear vision or roadmap. They road the virtual education bubble to the top and now are at a loss for direction.
Pros
Great front line people
Cons
No vision