K12
61Average

K12 Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA128 reviews
It was a competitive atmosphere that served a purpose as they need it and he’s in place to go through the documents to enroll for the current school year
I was fired for being 7 months pregnant, a high risk pregnancy, and having to work from home due to doctor’s orders. This company doesn’t care about anyone. I would come into the office, after having surgery and other complications, to prove my loyalty, and was still fired without specific reason. There was no maternity/ paternity leave, no care for my situation, and what’s worse is, the person who fired me was a woman.
A typical day at work - A lot of meetings. Sometimes, meetings do not provide values.
What I learned - Be proactive

Management - Vague accountability
I have worked at K12 for more than 7 years. It was a great place to work, provided me with great opportunities. I have promoted twice and overall a great place to work.

The budget provided to projects is less when compared to other companies so sometimes there is only so much IT can do to make the implementation beneficial for business.
Worked part-time with promises of more work but it never came. Waited for over a year but nothing happened. Fun job, just not enough hours. Students and coworkers were great.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
The people at K12 are great to work with. They are smart, driven, and very collaborative, which makes for an enjoyable working environment.

The business is complex so the learning curve is steep.
K12 is very inclusive and believes its employees are an integral part of the company. K12 also makes sure its students are receiving the most up to date curricula.
Everything is great in the beginning as with most jobs, you know, for the first 3-6 months, that is until the real work pace sets in. It can be challenging and boring at the same time. It really is about perception.
The job was spent on the phone dealing with parents or guardians of students trying to enroll to one of the many online schools nationwide. My job was to make sure they understood the guidelines and requirements for enrollment which included, Proof of residencies, birth certificates and even salary.
I enjoyed working at K12 for 5 years. I liked the management and work/life balance. I enjoyed the demands of my position and it was great working with other employees.
Limited opportunity to learn and develop, workload is outrageous for the pay. This is a good place for those that do not have kids, college graduate students and those with independent children. Bec
This is a call-center job with cubicles and scattered televisions with metrics on them. You will not be doing much else but making/receiving calls, creating tickets and a potential for sending emails. You will leave voicemails 6 hours a day if it’s slow enough. Job advancement doesn’t necessarily correlate job efficiency as it does loyalty.

Now K12 is a for profit company.

Not at all incentivized for the student well being as it is retention. after doing some digging you’ll find high executive turnover correlates with stock trades.

It seems like an angel company at first. And it could be. K12 provides families of different circumstances opportunity and resources for their students with free materials. They still do make a positive change for some kids lives. More often they don’t. They’re only 20 years old and have a lot of work to do. The company needs to restructure at the top and to change their whole process.

You cant generalize k12 as there are lots of employees/management that really care and work very hard...the ones that don’t can throw it all out the window. It’s a department that relies on teamwork of departments. When one department doesn’t do its function it can snowball to make what’s supposed to be a revolutionary educational system a nightmare for the good ones.

Direct management will not help you if it involves calls as they know themselves they can be a nightmare and will do anything but help with the actual job which leaves it to you to take the heat on the phone. Thick skin is a must here.

Now as a consultant you’ll
 - more...
Pros
Flexibility, design, location, team
Cons
Disorganization, corporate-greed, favoritis, Dishonesty
Workplace culture is quiet, but fast-paced. Everyone is super friendly and very professional. Typical day for me at K12 was managing travel expenses, calendar management and email correspondence with the Executive Team.
Some management is ok there but most of them are terrible. They have lack of judgement and character. They are ruthless and they pretend to care about you but they really don't. They talk behind your back even between management and they don't really know what they're doing on some level as a corporation. There's very small room for advancement and if that opportunity comes, good luck because they usually have somebody in mind. The only positive thing about this place is there are some professionals that are very friendly to work with but there's only so many of those left because majority of the people move on from this company. Don't waste your time and look else where.
Pros
Parking garage
Cons
Management, advancement opportunity, ruthlessness
Worked a contract job for low pay, the work was tedious and mundane. No career advancement or other job opportunities. The company was nice and a great environment to work in but no support from management.
The management and leadership of the company is phenomenal and are dedicated to the strategic mission of meeting the individual child..where they are and providing a corresponding specialized learning plan.
Pros
Talented leadership
Cons
Compensation plan is not competitive
I enjoyed my first two years at K12. I agree with most of the other posts that my co-workers were great and we were having fun. Even the management team in my group were relatively fair and reasonable until they got rid of my direct manager and replaced him with a person whose approach was "it's my way or the highway." Needless to say, the last six months there was very stressful. It was hard watching all these new or re-engineered processes being announced without input from senior people or consideration of the current culture. I know the exact day when my new manager decided my seniority was a threat and, from that day forward, my career there was doomed.

I agree that management is all about profits and earnings per share and were pretty ruthless about lay-offs. And, the salary increases were the worst. Each of the three years I was there the average increase was only 1.5%. And, the 401K matching was lower than average as well.
Pros
Pre new manager - empowered to make decisions and work independently, reasonable managers
Cons
Poor salary increases, high turnover, lack of management support
I loved my role within the company. I was a contractor for three years prior to becoming a permanent employee. Continual changes in upper management which treated some employees unfairly.
Pros
Working remote
Cons
No advancement
Excellent work environment, management is helpful and has an open door policy. The management truly wants to help employees develop in their careers. The same company mission drives internal employees
Pros
free lunch - during month end close
Cons
schedule can get crazy during close
Decent company with good people. Talent pool needs deepening, many low skilled workers but a decent pay for little work. Every few months new teams are formed and unperforming contractors are let go.
K12 used to be a place of collaboration, mission-focus, and fun. It has turned into a beast driven by the bottom line. They are so top heavy they can't afford to pay the worker bees what they are due. VP's are a dime a dozen and command respect although most are not willing to put in the work necessary (nor do they know enough about the product, user experience, or product catalog). Bullies abound and when called out on it they just tell you that you're replaceable. Work life balance is non-existent. I was told to check in, check email, and respond to every inquiry on every vacation. I was never "off" and it took its toll on my mental and physical state yet I did my job and then some. People are miserable and yet some still believe in the mission. If management would transition their values into truly supporting the people they employ the resulting work would be phenomenal. Instead folks are burned out and beat down.
Pros
most people are amazing to work with
Cons
compensation, no work life balance, mediocre benefits, no recognition
Ask a question about working or interviewing at K12. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6
2.9
2.9
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight