K12 Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very collaborative work environment.
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZAugust 10, 2018
Always a great group of people. Supportive. There are multiple opportunities throughout the school year to meet with colleagues as well as virtually. There is also a great Blended Learning program with Arizona for students to receive additions in person support.
Pros
Strong supportive administration
Cons
Online teacher salaries are low. But you’re working from home.
Overall good place to work
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAJuly 28, 2018
K12 made you feel good about helping parents and children struggling within the traditional school environment. The culture was young and creative with room for growth.
Low pay but great people
High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  VirtualJuly 10, 2018
I have worked for k12 off and on for 13 years. I started as a contract employee and eventually was hired as a .5FTE employee. This is considered 1/2 time but I still put in 30-40 hrs a week and only get paid $15,500/year which is really too low even for 1/2 time. I enjoy my work (teaching online) and I like the people I work with. It is hard to move up in the company as they are constantly restructuring which means getting rid of positions. They always need teachers though. I like working from home and I get to set my own hours. If I want to go on vacation, I take my laptop along and check in a couple of times a day to read email, answer student questions and grade assignments.
Pros
Work when I want
Cons
Low pay
Low Pay and High Stress
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 22, 2018
Inadequate salary for education professionals coupled with minuscule raises. Yearly raise percentages often range from no raise to a half percent. With yearly insurance increases you can earn less than the previous year.

Corporate goals are set for educators which do not correlate to their position. Furthermore, educators must meet performance goals which are invalid. There is no support by management for educators. Managers pressure educators to pass students by to maintain client satisfaction. Students obtain high school credit for submitting elementary school quality work. Educators are micromanaged and required to be unethical to satisfy expectations. Client satisfaction by any means.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Salary, employee treatment, micromanagement, diploma mill
Great place if you are wonderful with people!
Enrollment Specialist or Liaison (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNMay 21, 2018
The experience has been great. Love talking with new people every day, speaking about the children. Very enjoyable. Plus, the people who work there! Fantastic works and friends almost for sure
Pros
Hour lunches, 15 minute breaks. Lots of support
Cons
N/a
The worst.
Head of School (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 28, 2018
There should never be such a thing as a for-profit education company. Everyone is doing the job of four people to keep costs low. And the supervisory structure is completely asinine; micro-managing doesn't begin to describe it. I hated every minute at that place after being very successful in education prior.
This is a for profit Greedy Company Long Hours and Unfair Wages
K--5 Teacher (Former Employee) –  TNVAMarch 10, 2018
The company started out good, but every year the state threatens to close TNVA due to low test scores. The pay is unfair when you compare the amount of hours your employees put in. The promotions are based on who you know. This is a who you know culture. If you want to work for someone where you are promoted based on your abilities, then look for a job somewhere else. This is not the place.
Pros
Work at Home
Cons
Long Hours, Poor Pay, Micromanged Company
Charter School Experience
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2018
I would caution working for a charter school . The risk working for charter schools who don't comply with district needs are set ups for failure and the managment thats over the charter school locations have several questionable backgrounds. I would do some research on the school before going full throttle .
Pros
lunch time and traveling
Cons
management
Real lousy upper management
Sr Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 19, 2018
At least 15-20 people I know of have left or were let go in the past 2 years. Good people in Sr mgr + positions. The CMO was a yes man for the C levels and was way over his head. They keep talking about "putting student first" - All the upper management cares about is making their huge salaries and cash out not putting the customers first. Former COO - I think he retired - used to play on his ipad in meetings. Only got the job because he was the fomer CEO's beastie. So many unhappy customers and so many education professionals criticizing the company. The founder had a nice idea and the curriculum was/is great but not anymore. They really don't care about people/employees. Turn over was/is outrageous.
Pros
Pay was ok for me - not for others
Cons
see all the above -- poor management from the top - bad leadership - poor customer treatment
Great onboarding & culture
Contract Document Processor (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VADecember 29, 2017
K12 DP (document processor) on-boarding and training is first-rate. If you have a sharp mind and attention to detail, you will thrive at K12. Work hard, and you will succeed.
Pros
Lots of OT available, great on-boarding, friendly environment
Cons
Competitive among DPs
Competitive and family environment
Enrollment Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNDecember 13, 2017
K12 has, a great mission to provide students and families with a choice for their education. Provides choices in 48 states. Also has,a private pay option.
Pros
High bonus potential
Cons
Short breaks, point system
"For-Profit" Corporate Culture
Instructor (Former Employee) –  RemoteNovember 8, 2017
Be prepared to be treated as nothing more than an expendible warm body. It's definitely the corporate "for-profit" culture which, in my opinion, should not be associated with education. Expect low pay, high enrollments, and considerable micromanagement.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
stressful
Call Center
Personal Admissions Liaison (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNAugust 3, 2017
It's a call Center and they are organized very well. But its a call center so you'l be bored to death. It's a tone better than say Vanderbilt because you're putting kids in school and not bill collecting but that's all I can say for it.
Pros
Feel good about the product
Cons
Call Center
PAL Position
PAL (Former Employee) –  Maryville, TNJune 7, 2017
When you train, you believe you will be in a position making a difference. When you begin on the floor, it becomes about numbers and money and no longer about helping these families. Many families end up angry and upset because they have had to talk to several different people getting several different answers. The culture is, get the call that makes the money and it doesn't matter how the family is treated thereafter. There simply is not enough time to really give to the families because you are expected to make one call after another and not having the ability to look up an account. So what happens is you call a family and don't know what to reference because you didn't have time to pull up their files before calling which in turn creates frustration for them. If you like working in a cubicle and being told when you can and cannot go to the bathroom (btw, that time comes off your break time, just going to the bathroom) and you also don't mind screwing over families, this is the job for you.
Pros
Some of the people are really nice
Cons
Negative culture, greediness, no personal time (going to the restroom)
Little work/life balance with little positive feedback
Manager, School Operations (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 13, 2017
Moved up within one year but that should have been a red flag. There were two Operation Managers before I started and both left due to stress and the school has only been open for almost 4 years. There is a year long learning curve with this position and you should be prepared to learn on the job as there is no training program. There are only video trainings and asking questions. There is a lot to manage, between processes and staff, there is state testing, and plenty of emails you will need to check with 24 hrs or sooner. This job will burn you out quickly. The pay is ok but not for all you're responsible for.
Pros
Staff is nice
Cons
Very little positive feedback, don't expect much help, work a lot of hours including nights and weekends, pay could be better
Flexible hours but no advancement for contractors
Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bloomsburg, PAMarch 21, 2017
I enjoyed working for K12 at first but after awhile I was consistently being given tasks that were above my pay grade. I am a hard worker and thought if I did a good job that I would be rewarded. Nope! Contract workers get a ton of work for little pay. I was correcting the mistakes of employees who got paid 4x what I did....every day! I did enjoy my coworkers and the flexible hours. If they focused on retaining talent then they wouldn't have train new employees all the time.
Pros
Flexible hours, nice manager and coworkers
Cons
No advancement, low pay, given tasks not in job description
Personal Admissions Liaison (Former Employee) –  Alcoa, TNMarch 4, 2017
Enjoyed my time with K12, just was not the job for me, got burnt out very quickly. They do not give raises, but the starting pay is strong.
Pros
Good pay, 40+ hours a week
Cons
No part time, easy to get burnt out
Sinking ship. Stay away.
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAFebruary 24, 2017
Mismanaged overall.

Existing management is not there to support employees, but also, do not pay attention to performance metrics and will make job security judgments based on personality alone.

There is low morale and high turnover, some staff asked to do jobs outside of their scope without compensation consistent with the duties or opportunities for transfer, promotion, or growth.

If you take a job here, do not ask for anything (up to and including a schedule change or a reasonable accommodation for an existing disability), you will be punished up to and including termination despite legalities. They don't want anyone rocking the boat even if a student's education and future depend on it.
Pros
a job
Cons
no job
Busy during summer, fun environment
State enrollment consultant (Former Employee) –  VAFebruary 3, 2017
I was hired during the busy summer quarter when a lot of people were hired. Our schedules varied daily and weekly with an occasional Saturday work day ( only during summer time). Couldn't take time off during summer months and the breaks were strictly scheduled. Wasn't really cold calling because people call in for information or request you call them. Definitely more of a revolving door position- people were either there for a long time or not very long. There are a lot of people to compete against for growth but it's big company. Sometimes the days feel like they can drag on but other days you are busy and it flies. The good parts- majority of supervisors and coworkers were really chill/cool to work with, more laid back attire, company paid lunches, fun environment/people, good customer service experience doing brainless work for a good salary, the benefits and salary plus bonus (which is pretty simple to attain).
Pros
benefits, pay + bonus
Cons
Strict Scheduled breaks, always on phone
Great if you love school
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MIDecember 27, 2016
*Disclaimer* I do not work for K12 Corp. I tutor on my own for students in the K12 program and charge $8.00 an hour. I love it and it is pretty easy for a college student like me.
Pros
Work for yourself
Cons
slow periods during state testing