Kaiser Permanente

Found 11,701 reviews matching the searchSee all 11,751 reviews

Kaiser Permanente insights

Based on 3,266 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job

You work hard, but it’s worth it

Featured review

Kaiser Permanente selected this as a representative review
Work-life balanceWork life balance isn’t too badPay & benefitsExcellent pay and excellent benefitsJob security and advancementJob security is great and my manager supported me going to school. But I’ve heard in other departments that it’s difficult to findOverallYou work hard, yes. Is it worth it? 100% I loved working here!!! I had to leave due to school but I highly recommend kaiser to anyone! I hope to be hired again once I graduate with my RN. Excellent pay(35/hr for LVN which is unheard of) Excellent benefits( did I mention they’re FREE)I love kaiser. People talk badly about the work environment here but I have never had an issue

good

overall good hard work but loved it, had a chance to meet great people, had GREAT LEADERSHIP. WORK INDEPENDENTLY NOT BEING MICROMANAGED I just wish my salary was higher

Like helping members

Good place to work, a lot of opportunities for growth in career. Can transfer to different departments. You get a lot of good benefits and great pay compared to other hospitals.

Pros

Free lunch, breaks, holiday pay, vacation, life time balance.

Cons

Short staff.

Engaging work at scale

Kaiser offers a huge variety of career opportunities and upper management generally supports and encourages increased visibility for those who show potential for advancement. Decent salary and awesome benefits somewhat offset the significant work/life balance challenges and make it difficult to entertain leaving, especially after being there for a few years. Politics can be treacherous, especially at upper levels, but this is likely the case at any organization of this size.

Pros

Benefits, Advancement potential, Stability

Cons

Politics, Huge organization

Great company to work, sometimes good people…

After many years at the company, I can recommend them for high pay, great benefits and being a union shop. Your day to day happiness may be affected by the people around you, managers can be awful or great… feedback doesn’t seem to change this…

Pros

Free health insurance, job protection

Cons

Very inflexible with schedules, very strict attendance guidelines

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Excellent place to get stuck forever

Kaiser was a great company in their culture, inclusivity, opportunity, and diversity. The people, the programs, and the places to work. That being said, you will run into classic corporate conundrums, such as them wanting you to pursue higher education but offering little to no financial assistance for those pursuits. It's easier to get fired, and get re-hired than get a promotion - but your bosses can change due to reorgs VERY often. And often so will their expectations. This makes for resentment, lack of perspective, and oftentimes grifting conversations between individual contributors and management. There is a lot of push to learn, but very little time in which to do it. Just as well, speaking up will get you ostracized. They promote a culture of transparency, however the political nature of the organization (despite being non-profit) makes political diversity minimal, and creates unnecessary cliques. Great company to start off with, and perhaps stay if you can wiggle your way into a niche you don't mind stagnating in.

Pros

Excellent benefits, pension, company match, remote work (as applicable), great opportunity for a post-grad

Cons

Constant re-orgs, minimal tuition assistance, impossible to get promoted

Micro managed and little room to grown

KP is one of the largest employers in Southern California with various job types but many of those positions require specifically training so expanding one’s career through job training isn’t always available.

Pros

Don’t bring work home

Cons

Minimal flexibility

Excellent benefits and pay, poor work/life balance, extremely difficult to transfer departments (registered nursing)

As far as registered nursing goes, Kaiser Permanente has excellent benefits and pay, but poor work/life balance, and it's extremely difficult to transfer departments (registered nursing).

Pros

Pay, benefits

Cons

Work-life balance

Poor New Grad Nurse Residency Program

The program offers no formal education or support for the floor you are on. Preceptors may be okay nurses but poor at teaching within a clinical setting. New grads are totally overworked and the program could care less. The staff department and fixed schedules are awful unless you are a .6 or less employee. We aren't paid enough. No specialty advancement unless you work their for years and years

Pros

Stable Job

Cons

Staffing Office, Fixed Schedules, little advancement, lack of formal training

You'll work hard using algorithmic approach

I had a terrible experience at Kaiser.My managed was an RN, and her manager was non-clinical. Administrators have as heavy a hand as anywhere else.They will work you hard using an algorithmic approach.I was in a specialty, but I understand in primary care visits are 10 minutes regardless of complexity.NPs are paid far better than PAs, and they will refuse to negotiate. You should persist in trying.No onboarding and no quality opportunities for continued education.

Pros

Most people you meet are really quite friendly and nice.

Cons

See above

Position Uncertainty

This company say they are the top Hospital only because they say so, and you should consider yourself lucky to have the opportunity to work for them. Less about you and patients ALL about the company.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Must cover yourself at all time, any mistakes and you'll definitely hear about it.

Loved my supervisor.

My immediate supervisor was amazing. She would go to bat for you when you needed her support. Many things I liked about KP. I did not like the work ethic of the other nurses.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Work ethics of others

Was okay for a while but needed more

I worked at Kaiser when they were still Group Health in the billing department. I had a good relationship with my boss but the overall management didn't seem concerned with employees and often made it difficult to get work done with some their decisions, a significant one of which included having all members the department work payments on the phone. Taking that volume of calls was very demoralizing when trying to coordinate other more complex issues my team was responsible for and eventually caused me to seek other opportunities.

Stay away unless you are a female

This is a good company to work for only if you are a female or enjoy being marginalized or treated poorly. Management is an 'ol Gals club and you will not be listened to even if you have vastly more relevant experience and/or education directly related to you position that management.

Pros

The abilities of management are so lacking that you never feel your job is above your abilities

Cons

Us vs. Them environment.

If your work here you can work anywhere

Benefits, upward mobility, and recognition of good work are all phenomenal at Kaiser. At least in my region, some disfunction due to restructuring and loss of key personnel

Meh

Great benefits. Schedule works well if you have to drop kids off in the mornings or have morning errands. Work life balance is very bad and needs a lot of improvement.

You are just a number.

You will find wonderful coworkers. Great people with great ideas. But great people don't fix broken corporations,... Broken corporations break great people.

Kaiser is managed care

Kaiser is managed care which means that you get what you get and don’t throw a fit. They used to pay over-market value for staff but now since the pandemic the new contract negotiations between all unions and management have resulted in lower pay across the board. Kaiser is no longer the place you aim to work at within healthcare. Kaiser struggles to make patients a priority over profit.

Pros

People

Cons

Work life balance, patient care, pay

Great salary and benefits

Stressful job and challenging work culture but you learn a lot and develop thick skin real fast. The culture can be toxic and clique-y with some groups.

Pros

Fair pay, great benefits, growth potential

Cons

Toxic culture

Best place to work ever!

Love my job and love going to work everyday for this company! The pay makes working here amazing! Great, great pay, over 25 an hour even if you are washing floors.

Pros

Great Pay!

Flexible

Management is 50/50. You may have an amazing manager or not so amazing. Really it is upper management that will leave a bad taste in your mouth. Schedules are flexible, clientele is great, pay and benefits are good. Company is profit based, work load is ridiculous and higher ups have poor values and are deceitful.

Pros

Great clients, good benefits

Cons

Upper level management is horrible and make wirking here horrible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kaiser Permanente. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

5.8K
3.2K
1.7K

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

68%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

66%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss