Kaiser Permanente Employee Reviews

Found 8,600 reviews matching the search See all 8,643 reviews
Nurse Practitioner review
Family Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 6, 2019
I was employed for 20 years. Kaiser was a wonderful company to work for over many years.Great pay ,benefits and opportunity for advancement. Over the past 2-3 years of my career at Kaiser I believe the company went way downhill. Poor management on many levels.Increased expectations and workload demands on employees to the point where pt safety was a concern. I left.I would not recommend working for the company. High stress and compromising your license.
Pros
access to many tools for work-resources, great benefits, great insurance coverage for myself and my family, great pay
Cons
poor workplace culture, poor management both in administration and at the midlevel, working on a shoestring and compromising pt safety due to work overload
Kaiser is a very good place to work benefit and career wise. They have a very largr opportunities for advancement.
Registered Nurse charge nurse (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 16, 2019
Kaiser is a very busy place to work but lots of opportunities to grow and to advance. They offer assistance to further your education. They have lots of areas to explore whether clinic or hospital or hospice in all areas of nursing. Benefit wise I think they have the best benefits and they have the highest pay compare to other companies. Pension plan is very good. Most employees stays in Kaiser until retirement. Kaiser go by the book. They are updated with technology. I would recommend young people with enthusiasm and energy to work in Kaiser.
Pros
Good benefits, opportunities for advancement, good pay
Cons
Busy and might be short staff once in a while.
On-call
LVN (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 31, 2018
Trained in multiple departments, traveling is required; sometimes not trained in departments and thrown into work anyway. Staff is typically friendly and helpful. No benefits if working on-call and management uses the upper hand because they know its hard to get into Kaiser. You almost feel like a slave to the company until you earn your spot. Good luck during 90 day probation they can fire you for any reason if you turn down shifts even if its your 9th day working. Overall, good company if your benefited and have regular hours.
Pros
Benefits, friendly staff, competitive pay
Cons
work/life balance, union reps don't always protect employees
Good company, but definitely has its weak points
Regulatory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 1, 2019
Kaiser is one of those companies that have adopted with vigour the concept of the open/collaborative workspace, whether it is useful for one's position or not. In my case, where much of the job requires concentration, reading, and analysis, it is certainly not. Arbitrary rules dominate and no one seems to know anyone else's job functions (as I still receive emails requesting information that I have repeatedly replied that I do not even have access to). While generally, promotions seem to be easy to obtain, when you have a specific skill set as I do, the choices are not available or obscure.
Pros
Flexible with schedules, great health benefits, remote work at least one day a week
Cons
No clear description of overall job functions, information difficult to find within the company, limited advancement
Loved working at Kaiser
Radiologic Technologist/CT Technologist (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJanuary 22, 2019
I enjoyed all 15 of my years at Kaiser. I stayed on the same shift for 13 years, 10-6:30. It was the busiest shift, at a very busy hospital. Did some mammography, but it’s my least favorite of areas to work. Went full time 1-9:30pm for my last two years there. I have a very strong work ethic, and was recognized with multiple “perfect attendance” certificates. I feel my efforts were recognized. It’s a teaching hospital, so every year, us techs had to teach a new crop of students. They probably have the best benefits anywhere. Did not leave because I didn’t like it. My husband and I relocated to WA.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Union workers lack motivation because they know it’s next to impossible to be fired.
Productive, fun work place excellent culture
HCM Program Intermediate PM, Enterprise Learning (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJanuary 3, 2019
I have really enjoyed my time with Kaiser. I was a 2year duration Full Time employee, which meant I worked for 2 years, but had all the benefits of a FTE vs. a contractor.
My manager was the best I have every had and really understood work/life balance.
I was proud to be a part of the team on was on which were responsible for all training they were implementing for the new HCM program. I would definitely work there again!
Pros
Able to work remotely, Work/life balance, excellent benefits
Cons
very difficult to get into Kaiser, the Onboarding process is very long and stressful
Management and culture issues
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 7, 2018
Company has great benefits but has too many cooks in the kitchen. As a result, there is so much red tape that it takes forever to get things accomplished. Additionally, many employees no longer try because of past experiences going to mid-level managers with ideas for improvements only to get shut down or not taken seriously. They are trying to promote a culture of speaking up but they have to get rid duplicate managers and get others on board for this process to even start.
Pros
Benefits, advancement opportunities
Cons
Management, culture, security
Very stressful place to work with convoluted management styles.
ophthalmic technician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 31, 2019
The pay and benefits are good but you earn every single penny! They will squeeze you until you have nothing left to give and then tell you to do more. Very poor senior management, especially in ophthalmology. Senior management has zero ophthalmology experience. Very unprofessional when holding meetings and speaking to employees, providers, etc.
The surgeons are phenomenal! They aren’t our boss and tend to be great at team work. Which is good because it is 1:1 pairing physician to technician.
Pros
Health insurance, awesome surgeons
Cons
Senior management completely disconnected from clinic staff
absolutely terrible!!!
MRI Technologist (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 29, 2018
Unfortunately kaiser has taken quite a dangerous approach to healthcare in recent years and doesn't value their employees like they used to. Most employees just stay because their benefits and pay are better than most companies out there but they under staff constantly and have a very terrible and unsafe working conditions for the staff and patients that come to them.
Management does not seem to see the importance of safety practices and techs are often left by themselves completely without anything in place. It puts employees at risk for severe liability and possible injury to themselves or patients. I do not recommend working at this company at all.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
safety
Fast paced collaborative work environment
Home Infusion Nurse (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 11, 2019
A typical day involved a team planning session for home based nursing for patients to be seen that day and for care planning for ongoing patients. Home-based nursing skills were highly developed and ongoing clinical education provided. Direct management was supportive, positive and a strong advocate to upper management. Hardest part of the job was dealing with traffic in a large metropolitan area. The most enjoyable parts of the job were company support provided to care for patients in the home and the direct home based care/relationships with patients.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Dealing with traffic
a great company for medical/dental care
RN staff, charge, supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 18, 2018
I had varied positions, thus depending on my role determined my typical day. I was a telephone advice staff nurse to start, advanced to charge and then supervisor, which was the most challenging

I learned alot at Kaiser. Management was not always able to make a decision, and if it was made, it could be changed shortly after. It was difficult to follow the workflow. The culture is very difficult for a supervisor who was a union person and went to a exempt position and non-union. The staff overall were very nice, and very willing to fight for their cause.

The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was able to talk with patients as the advice nurse, and help them thru the most difficult concerns.
Pros
Good pay/benefits
Cons
difficult to go from union to exempt and in charge of union staff.
Great working environment with great co-workers
Medical Assistant, Claims Processor I & II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92120December 8, 2018
I worked at Kaiser for more than 10 years and it was the best working experience I've had by far. I had the opportunity to grow in my career and experienced job advancement during my time there. A great environment with co-workers and management. Benefits were amazing! I highly recommend Kaiser Permanente as a workplace for anybody who would be interested in advancing their career. I had to quit since I was moving out of state.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Co-workers and Advancement
Cons
It was difficult to get in to Kaiser
Very top heavy in the last 6 years
Apprentice / Operating Engineer (Current Employee) –  Baldwin Park, CANovember 29, 2018
Good pay, great benefits if you can handle the constant badgering from the overstuffed management. Used to be a great place to work, but lately the feel if you don't like it or get along with a coworker then leave. They have an impression that there is a line of people willing to work there. But that line is getting shorter and quality is going elsewhere. They say they are pro union in the employee orientation but they are very antiunion, dissolving them piece by piece. Bottom line: They keep expanding, watering down their worker pool with constant threats and allegations.
Pros
Health care benefits, time off.
Cons
Overbearing managers, snobby attitudes, antiunion
Excellent Opportunities for Advancement
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 16, 2018
If you can work quickly and are willing to leap forward, then you will definitely advance.

Work-life balance is difficult as there are many goals and pressures.

Company is solid and often loyal to earnest workers.

Company is generous with retirement and vacation.

Several changes in management, which creates stress and uncertainty for employees.

Loved the company - wished management was more stable.
Pros
Excellent benefits, pto and retirement
Cons
Perpetually restructuring management over and over and over.
Good place for a smart, young manager
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 12, 2018
The Good:
Great benefits, better than average pay, many training resources, tuition reimbursement, zero tolerance for discrimination, excellent amount of paid time off, speak up culture, much transparency.

The Bad:
Too many unproductive meetings and not enough time given to fulfilling primary job responsibilities , 60-70 hour work week, little control over day-to-day operations, too much bureaucracy, out of date and inadequate IT systems, constant sense of overwhelm.

The Ugly:
Unions are given more influence over daily decisions than almost any other industry leading to combative, entitled employees and a virtual inability to remove ineffective people from their positions even after multiple infractions. This creates a frustrating and sometimes hostile work environment for lower and middle management.
Amazing Company
LVN (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CANovember 15, 2018
Employment at Kaiser Permanente, for a nurse, is to simply put it: Cream of the Crop. I worked to get into Kaiser for 2 years, went through 7 months of on-call, which included split shifts. But the grind is WORTH it. The culture at Kaiser is wonderful and the customer service is AMAZING. Great union and let's not even get started on the benefits. Kaiser definitely takes care of their own.

Honestly, if it were not for the immediate part time position and current family arrangements/schedule changes, I would not be seeking other employment. It was a VERY difficult decision to even post my resume. I will not be taking just ANY job offer. It definitely is going to have to be something that is going to be worth it, in both the pay and flexibility in the hours that we are looking for.
Great pay and Benefits
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 2, 2019
Typical day at work: processing prescriptions and working on 3rd party rejects; answering phones throughout the day. Assisting patients with benefits questions. Reaching out to different foundations to see if there is current funding for a specific diagnosis so that the patient can get copay assistance. - I honestly think that the benefits part and finding grants is the hardest part of my job - or telling the patient that their current foundation has no funding available for their diagnosis. The management cares about the team; huddles are held at lease 2 to 3 times a week.
High Intensity and Fast Paced Work Environment
Quality Assurance Auditor - Referral Management (Current Employee) –  Renton, WANovember 28, 2018
KPWA is a great place to work in order to obtain excellent benppfits and compensation. The work environment can be quite chaotic as there is minimal honest communication between upper management and front line staff. Communication can be strained if not given the proper format in voicing concerns. Being a part of upper management, I was able to see first hand, the inappropriate gestures or forms of communicating information to staff. Overall, working closely with the management team allowed for me to gain immeasurable skills.
Pros
onsite gym, keurig machines, workout classes
somewhat steady
Pharmacy Cashier, File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 6, 2018
This was overall a somewhat steady job but with seniority rights. I was always towards the bottom of the seniority poll so I didn't get the greatest working hours or the first pick of which vacation days I wanted. Was always in contract negotiations to get a pay raise. When I was working there, there was often union strikes which would not be resolved in a timely matter. I had a manager that was close minded and did things his own way and not really open to suggestions. Overall it was a good paying job that made living ends meet. I've met some great people over the years in working two different departments.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
managers and not getting the vacation dates i wanted
n/a
Materials Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDDecember 11, 2018
• Provide technical expertise relative to supply and/or property management, e.g., coordinating material support for new or unusual depot overhaul programs, determining capability to overcome or correct systemic errors, advising subordinates on accountability requirements.
• Review and analyze stock level statistics to identify items that are in excess of requirements; provide advice and guidance concerning disposition of excess stock; determines cause for excess condition (e.g., changes in requirements); and initiates remedial actions.
• Conduct studies on procedures, methods, and work requirements to evaluate need for changes to policies, methods, and/or work operations and documents findings and details alternatives
• Plan and conduct periodic inventories of items; investigates inventory shortages; and provides results of findings. Plan and manage assigned activities with responsibility for the receipt, storage, accountability, and shipment of general materials/supplies and assets.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
low pay, management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kaiser Permanente. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Kaiser Permanente.

Powered by Comparably