Kalamazoo College Employee Reviews

good, from a student-workers perspective
gear room worker and lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 28, 2018
Pretty easy to find jobs as a student and they're quite flexible about schedules. I would reccomend working at the campus gear room. Very laid back environement.
Relaxed workplace
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 28, 2018
The managers at Kalamazoo College were very understandable about our school schedules. You could pick up more hours if you wanted to, as well. There were plenty of opportunities to work in the school if you didn't like your current position but you definitely have to jump on an opportunity as a lot of other students are also applying for the same jobs.
Productive and helpful experience
Applied Statistics Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 1, 2018
Working as a teaching assistant at Kalamazoo College was helpful to me because I got experience clearly explaining ideas and material to students who were struggling. I was forced to learn how to effectively convey thoughts and ideas so that students could understand the material. The work load, working as a TA, was not stressful, because I just graded students' homework assignments and held office hours once a week. Overall, working as a TA at Kalamazoo College was a positive experience.
Team oriented, goal driven, and motivational place to work.
Driver/Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 30, 2018
This was a great place to learn and grow to be versatile and be embraced for all the things you and others brought to the college. Felt very appreciated all the time and respected for what I did on a daily basis.
More at K
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 26, 2018
I can't explain how Kalamazoo College has helped me become more successful after graduating. Kalamazoo College is a wonderful institution and I don't think I could be where I'm at today if it wasn't for K.
K College is fun
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 27, 2018
I very much enjoyed working for the Event Staff. I worked events on the weekends. The hardest part of the job was giving up my Saturday nights, while the easiest part helping students to enjoy their time at K.
Pros
free food
Cons
give up Saturday nights
Top liberal arts experience
Marketer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 15, 2018
Depends on your position. College is facing significant financial issues. Culture is competitive, liberal, and political, with high student involvement.
Great Manager
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 20, 2017
The manager was able to be flexible with students schedules. She was always helpful and willing to change schedules. she had worked there for years, students and faculty loved her.
Productive and friendly
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 24, 2017
There was a very friendly atmosphere at work but you were also expected to do your job well. Jen Bailey is great at her job. Management was great the schedules were always out early and she communicated with employees well.
Great People and Work Atmosphere
Phonathon Caller (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 16, 2017
The job kind of sucked, but the people you talk to around you make it worth it. It's a bit difficult to guess what you're going to get out of it because sometimes managers change and they completely change their attitude towards rules and the like.
Fun
Grader/TA (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 26, 2017
It is what it is. Minimum wage for grading papers. It can be difficult, you work with others and they may have a different grading scale, so students think one or the other is unfair.
Pros
helping students learn
Cons
very little pay for the work
Fun and dynamic workplace
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 28, 2017
I gave tours to prospective students, learning how to communicate to a wide variety of people across the country. My supervisor was a wonderful mentor who taught me how to be self assured. Overcoming the initial public speaking hurdle was difficult, but once I found my niche I gained confidence.
Instructor of Speech and Theatre
Instructor/Tailor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 26, 2017
I was hired as Instructor of Theatre and Speech for a temporary period of time. This was not a permanent position.
The hardest part of the job was leaving it. I worked very well with my colleagues and enjoyed the students and the work.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the students. I was very pleased working with this talented group of young people.
Workplace was very nice.
Management was very willing to listen to suggestions.
Overall, a very positive experience.
Pros
very positive environment to work.
Cons
that it was a temporary position; i hated to leave
Kalamazoo college is a great place to work i been working for k for 10 years i like talking to the students. Hanging out with the students
Custodial (Current Employee) –  1200 Academy StreetMarch 7, 2017
I have learned a lot working for kalamazoo college the staff is very helpful and so are the students buts it's a lot of work in the summer cleaning dorms living learning units academic buildings stripping waxing floors moving heavy furniture and much much more .
Pros
Good health-care
Great Department
Grader/TA (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 1, 2016
The physics department at Kalamazoo College was overall excellent to work for. My only complaint would be the salary as it doesn't really match the work that we are doing as TAs and graders.
Productive Enviorment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 12, 2016
Always busy with college students wanting food. Co-Works were easy going and pleasant to work with. Hardest part was dealing with call offs. The job didn't really let workers double up on duties.
Service Learning
Heartbeat Coordinator and Civic Engagement Scholar (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 28, 2015
Working through Kalamazoo College as a Civic Engagement Scholar at Kalamazoo Central High School's Heartbeat program was an amazing learning experience and extremely fulfilling. The best part of the job was working with the kids at Kalamazoo High School every week, and seeing them grow and develop confidence in themselves.
Somewhat Frustrating Work Environment
Zumba Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 9, 2015
I enjoyed working as a Zumba Fitness Instructor in the Office of Student Involvement at Kalamazoo College, it was not without its frustrations. Due to their fitness schedule, I was only teaching Zumba once every three weeks. The schedule changed again, and I was only teaching once every six weeks. I was happy to work with these changes, then the day and time of the fitness classes changed another time. Unfortunately, I had a schedule conflict (class during the time I was supposed to teach) and gave the College plenty of notice. Instead of working with me, they opted to find another Zumba instructor.
Pros
Able to gain Zumba teaching experience
Cons
Unusual schedule, no willingness to work with other's schedules
Productive working environment
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MINovember 9, 2014
The work was most enjoyable because of the wonderful working environment provided by my supervisor and co-workers.
Excelent Place to work
Assistant Football Coach (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 10, 2013
I enjoy everyone involved with my employment. Great people with great attitudes and love what they do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kalamazoo College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5