Kalamazoo College

Working at Kalamazoo College: 49 Reviews

United States49 reviews

collegestudentenjoyworkingpeopletimejobwork

Fun workplace where opinions and engagement are valued.

I loved working at Kalamazoo College. Our department was fun and engaging. My thoughts and opinions were always valued and I truly felt like a part of the team. Hours could be flexible based on other work schedules.

great benefits, no room for advancement

this company is okay at best, you will meet tons of new people from staff, student and faculty and the school is a liberal arts school. you wont move up anytime soon no matter your position .

Kalamazoo College insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Student Worker

Ive worked here/ gone to school here for almost a year and it has such an understanding and friendly environment as a worker and student. The employers for the college are also very understanding of your life as a student as well.

Pros

Flexible hours for students, Easy understanding of jobs

Cons

n/a

Under paid and understaffed

As a new custodian at Kalamazoo college you can expect to make 12 dollars an hour. Due to ongoing staffing shortages you can expect to be responsible for cleaning more and more square feet of building as the current team leaves for better paying less stressful jobs. The insurance is great and you do get paid time off throughout the year but the upper management of the college seems to think of the custodial team as unimportant.

Pros

Paid time off, insurance

Cons

Low pay, understaffed, increasing work load.

Fun and educational

A good place to work during your time as a student. You get to create relationships with wonderful mentors and do work that is fulfilling and creates actual change on campus.

Family like, respectful, joyful.

I felt like they were my family. The students were so respectful as well as joyfully to be a round. The office people always mad sure they put a smile on my face daily

Pros

Friendly, joyful, caring

Cons

Part time workers do not get any benefits

A great conclusive environment

K as we affectionately call campus promotes a well balanced environment for students, staff and it's employees. Across all departments you will find a kind voice and words of encouragement! I truly enjoyed my time and experiences at Kalamazoo College.

Pros

Options for food at the cafe.

Cons

Be careful in the winter months parking on the hill.

Steady work, at the time, good benefits.

My exprerince at K was basically a good one. My co-workers were helpful and friendly. Depending on what time of year, work could be very hectic. All in all, K was a special place to be.

Pros

Helpful and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Your daily assignments could be difficult.

Ambiente de trabajo colaborativo

Diversidad en el área, aprendizaje de diferentes habilidades.

All good things must come to an end

Kalamazoo College used to be a great place to work. There was respect among the crew. There was trust. K-College was a really fun atmosphere where you would go and actually enjoy the work and all the while having fun with your colleagues, Facilities Management got a new Director of Facilities. Soon after, all of the good times came to an end. It became a toxic place to be where nobody could be trusted. Backstabbing. Lying. It turned in to high school drama. I will always remember the good times I had there and people I've had the opportunity to meet and I still call family.

Ambiente de trabajo divertido

Estuve muy contenta y mis compañeros no pudieron ser mejores.

Racist school

I attended Kalamazoo College and they do not care much about their students and it is not a very diversified school with very short help for their students especially if they are not caucasian.

Fine

Boring, there were limited tasks and limited follow through leading to coworkers simply doing nothing with no consequence at all whatsoever. The squirrels were friendly though.

There is an effort by upper leaders to make the work environment above satisfactory.

Overall, its a good place to work. Some departments don't pay much, but the benefits are good and I think the people/organization cares throughout about one another.

Great place to work!!

Kalamazoo college is awesome. Extremely good benefits, good people to work with and for. Absolutely no complaints. This was my best job I've ever had.

It's a hard knock life

I love working here. Most people are extremely helpful and committed to K's social justice values. There are a few minor problems (as with any employer) but management works hard with staff to resolve those in a timely fashion.

Wonderful staff

Kalamazoo College is a lovely college and everyone on the staff is so wonderful and helpful! As a student worker, I got to work many different jobs on the campus and I enjoyed each one immensely!

Decent place to work if student

The supervisors and staff working at the Office of Admission are very kind and cooperative. They are very understanding about scheduling conflicts, etc. However, because there are so many small and unforeseeable tasks that come with college admission work, as a student employee I often felt underpaid for the amount of effort I was putting into work some days.

Could Be Better

As a Kalamazoo College Fellow, I have a very unique opportunity to teach students how to communicate effectively, but the leadership for the leadership fellows is not sound.

Very productive work environment with a chance to socialize, play chess and eat as you work

The best thing about this job is the ability to work, do homework and socialize with people, and play chess. Since I work in the library and I love helping people, I always look forward to talking to students with network and other software related issues.

Pros

free food sometimes

Cons

can be noisy

I enjoy working at Kalamazoo College as a TA

I enjoy the work culture at Kalamazoo College. The balance between work life and school work is pretty good and my employers are very flexible with my schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kalamazoo College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Kalamazoo College Reviews by Location

Learn about Kalamazoo College in popular locations

• Kalamazoo College
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?