Kaleida Health Employee Reviews

Kaleida is great Degraff is NOT
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Tonawanda, NYSeptember 13, 2018
The work culture at degraff was clicky and racist. The upper management showed alot of favoritism and through alot of stuff under the rug. I would recomment kaleida based on benefits but i would not recomment degraff to anybody. In the newer contract you are stuck at degraff for 2 years before you can bid out which sucks
Pros
great pay, great shift differential, alot of discounts
Cons
locations, staff, promotion, contract
Not what they make it seem
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 12, 2018
When I applied the people I spoke to made Kaleida seem like the best place to work. Benefits, paid holidays, retirement, set schedule. All lies. Holidays are only “paid” if you use your own personal PTO towards them. No retirement plan. They lied about have a set schedule and then try to force you to work overtime. Talk about all these amazing discounts you receive as well, bunch of garbage. Places you’ll most likely never go. Management is so arrogant. Parking is $90 a month, at a discounted rate. If you’re even able to get a hold of the parking department. Worked there over a month and they kept telling me they’d get back to me about a permit. My badge never worked so I couldn’t open any doors. Tried not paying me for a few days. It’s a sketchy place to work. Don’t fall for their lies. The grass isn’t as green as they make it seem.
Excellent company that supports career advancement.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 7, 2018
Kaleida is an excellent company that supports career advancement. They provide great benifits including tuition assistance. Management ensures a safe work enviornment.
Sadly, the worst experience in my long career.
Care Manager Behavioral Health (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 19, 2018
Do not work as a Care Manager Behavioral Health at OHK.
The benefits are horrible. Managers and Supervisors were unprepared, unprofessional with no manners and no respect for employees. There’s no decent training and the little information they provided is poor and unrelated to job activities. I do not remember a day when “trainers” have shown up on time and prepared to train. The expectations were unrealistic and senseless.

Employees’s morale was always low. Employees were mistreated and their flaws were consistently exposed during “morning hurdles”. The new employees were always confused and misguided.

The description of the position is wrong and the information provided here is incorrect. You have to use PTO for holidays and you are expected to work on some weekends. Caseloads were very high and unmanageable. The main focus of administrators is about revenue, billing and “making the agency look good”.

The majority of employees came from the same agency (where they worked before) and those employees received special treatment and soft reviews.

Leadership was rude to employees, words of encouragement felt empty and dishonest.
Pros
Some staff are wonderful caring people.
Cons
Plenty, see the review.
Work life balance is out of sync
Interim Senior Director Corporate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 26, 2018
The company needs more diversity. KH does not implement best practices in the finance department. Only a few employees provide 85% of the department responsibilities.
Pros
Great Compensation
Cons
Work culture is lacking
Staff Attorney (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 19, 2018
Pros
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent organizational leadership, passion, and culture
- Programs really make a difference in the students' lives
Cons
Any new site comes with some growing pains and so we are still figuring some things out as we go. Could use a little more direction or "best practices" from other sites or leadership. But again, these things come with any new sites!
Advice to Management
Leadership does an excellent job of connecting with the lower level employees. This really goes a long way so keep it up leadership!
Disappointed
PCA (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 18, 2018
After working at suburban hospital for well over a decade I was dismissed like trash. Management is a joke. They hire people and play favoritism with them. Kaleida health wants their workers to go out of their way for strangers. But when it comes to dedicated workers who choose to do the right thing, it means nothing to them. The union is a joke. They have never done anything worth anything. The union is supposed to help and yet I was thrown down under the bus. Now I’m unemployed and kaleida doesn’t license and staff other that RNs. Kaleida will not ever give their employees a second chance unless they can embarrass their employees but calling them theifs or drug addicts. It’s so sad that a hospital expects so much yet they don’t give and inch.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management Schedual lazy staff, getting harassed by HR always
Do not work for Oishei Healthy Kids as a Care Manager or Community Health Worker
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 10, 2018
The biggest mistake you could make is accepting a job through Kaleida Health as a Care Manager or Community Health Worker for Oishei Healthy Kids. The failure of the business is noticeable as soon as you start training. Management is outright rude, secretive, manipulative, and they will choose favorites and treat all employees with different standards. Not one manager is on the same page as the other, the interim director is unapproachable, and over half of the administration team was derived from private connections through the jobs they had been previously fired from.

When interviewing, you are told that you will be provided with parking, great benefits, a flexible work schedule, such as having the option of working from home, and guaranteed a small caseload. However, all that management is focused on is billing and micromanaging their employees, rather than focusing on the quality of care that they should be providing to their members. The numbers of enrollments are the most important factor to the management, even though they do not have enough Care Managers to provide services to those families.

If you are hired as a Care Manager, you will be given a full caseload of files that have not been touched for months and you will be responsible for making the appropriate contact in order to get your monthly billing quota completed. The office is now at the point of over-saturation and there is not enough room to place new employees at desks. Management no longer wants to see their employees in the office, rather they should be out in the field. When in the office, employees
  more... are drilled about what they are doing, even though documentation is one of the most important factors in ensuring "quality of care."

Management has promised additional office space, a lunch/break room, and a union contract to improve benefits. All of those things have been promised since December, and now they don't have enough money to support those promises. Employees are only given a 30 minute unpaid lunch, yet there is nowhere in the building for employees to go and take their lunch. Additionally, the Community Health Workers are expected to wander the streets daily, pressuring people to enroll into our health home, and are put into unsafe situations multiple time throughout the week.

If you accept a job with Oishei Healthy Kids, expect to feel irritated every single day, disrespected by your superiors, and belittled. Expect to be pulled into managements office and drilled about other employees work ethic, drilled about your effective use of time, and to be micromanaged by keeping minute-by-minute updates of your work day through your outlook calendar. You will quickly realize that Kaleida does not support the health home and that several providers have poor relationships with the health home because of the failure to "lead with care." You will be the managements next victim, finding one flaw and reason to be the next employee they run out the door.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor management, no sick days, constant changing of guidelines, filthy/out of date office, no professionalism, not enough parking for employees, unpaid lunches, micromanagement, management is rude and disrespectful.
Great internal education programs
Lead Auditor, PFS (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 11, 2018
Provided good continuing education opportunities. Human resources provided many programs for management skills development. Good place to work with a variety of staff which allowed for a diverse work culture.
Pros
Heathcare benefits
Cons
Lack of internal promotion
productive workplace,great co-workers
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Tonawanda, NYAugust 27, 2018
630 am to 7 pm long work day, but like 4 days a week off
working in the ER you learn on a case by case basis that nothing is ever the same at any given time.
management was ok most of the time as long as you were doing your job they pretty much left you alone.
The hardest part is seeing someone and wanting to help them so bad, but you know that there is nothing you can do.
the most enjoyable part of the job is being involved in saving someones life.
Pros
good lunch room
Cons
none really
I would not recommend becoming a Care Manager
Care Manager Behavioral Health (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 23, 2018
I went into this position of Care Manager- Behavioral Health thinking because it was working for Kaleida and they have a decent reputation that I would enjoy working here. I was wrong. This isn’t actually Kaleida, completely separate department and using the name as a means to “recruit more people”. It turns out that unfortunately the only focus of this department is billing which negates the quality of care that should be given to the people we are supposed to be helping.
Management is horrendous. There is no room for advancement and Care Managers are treated like they are incapable of learning the job. The training given is the poorest possible with no organization and then you are given a 40 person caseload and expected to bill everyone, not to mention also complete care plans, hold case reviews and complete various assessments. It’s just not possible with that many people. If you are considering this position proceed with caution.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Highest paid health care workers in Western New York
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 2, 2018
Kaleida is a good company to work for however I could have done without the Union. Excellent benefits and time off. Fast paced work environment lots of opportunity for overtime they could work on their staffing
Cons
Union
Fun loving and respectable environment
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 15, 2018
Working for Kaleida has been an amazing opportunity and a wonderful experience. The endless opportunity and advancement throughout each department makes moving to the next level great.
Kaleida is a fine place to work
Patient Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 11, 2018
Kaleida is not a bad place to work. However, if you are employed in the department I'm in there is no room for advancement.
I have learned a lot. Been on many different billing teams, our teams were broken down by insurance payer and type of service.
I have experience with inpatient billing and outpatient billing.
I would say the best think about Kaleida is the paid time off.
Great Residents, Horrible RN's & Supervisors
Certified Nursing Assistant, Nursing Float (Former Employee) –  BuffaloNovember 22, 2018
Racist Company, seemed really sweet at first but once your hired, things changed, they work the CNA's like slaves.. including their hospitals. The pay is great $15.24/HR.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Lazy Nurse's& Management
Run
Case manager- Oishei Healthy Kids (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 24, 2018
Please do not take this job, no matter how good the human resource guy sells the position to you. You want to know why they are hiring so much because the staff is genuinely unhappy and miserable and they keep resigning. Alot of people have left good jobs to come here and they have regretted it.

By the way, no paid holidays and we have to eat in our cars for lunch because there is no room to eat any place else. Pathetic
Pros
Pay
Liars and backstabbers.
Information Technology - Installation Tech (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 19, 2018
Only thing good about working for them was that the hours were decent, and good when asking for time off or appointments. The management did an excellent job hyping up about the possibility of getting hired on permanently. (dangled a carrot in my face) Lead manager was nothing but a spineless joke, and constantly pointed the blame on everyone else.

Even though I tried to be positive and enthusiastic, they were very hesitant about showing me anything new that would be beneficial for future career purposes.
Pros
Reasonable with time off.
Cons
Poor leadership, bad management throughout the whole department
I am a very good security officer
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 26, 2018
Security is a position I have held for many years and I was a good employee for Kaleida Health. I just did not feel that there was room for advancement and an opportunity to coach College Football came up and they would not work with my schedule
Not enought people to go around
Clinical Informatics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 19, 2018
There is absolutely no training or on-boarding. You are shown to your cube and left to figure it out. Your co-workers may or may not help orient you. Most often they don't help because they are so overworked they don't have time. They also don't have any direction as to what your duties will be. No communication form director of department. Emails not answered. Inequity in how employees are treated.
Never met a group that allows employees to treat each other poorly and be told "they've always been that way to everyone. Don't take it personally.
Pros
Nice amount of vacation days
Cons
No communication from management.
very good place to work
Direct Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2018
a high paced work place that was very cut throat but the pay and benefits were very good and my supervisor was very nice to work for and very helpful in the stressful workplace