Kaleida Health Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Kaleida is great Degraff is NOT
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Tonawanda, NYSeptember 13, 2018
The work culture at degraff was clicky and racist. The upper management showed alot of favoritism and through alot of stuff under the rug. I would recomment kaleida based on benefits but i would not recomment degraff to anybody. In the newer contract you are stuck at degraff for 2 years before you can bid out which sucks
Pros
great pay, great shift differential, alot of discounts
Cons
locations, staff, promotion, contract
Cna
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 6, 2018
As a CNA I was able to advance into the hospital systems and as a nurse as well. They promoted from within first and everyone in the company had a chance to move up as well. Very structured and well liked company.
productive workplace,great co-workers
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Tonawanda, NYAugust 27, 2018
630 am to 7 pm long work day, but like 4 days a week off
working in the ER you learn on a case by case basis that nothing is ever the same at any given time.
management was ok most of the time as long as you were doing your job they pretty much left you alone.
The hardest part is seeing someone and wanting to help them so bad, but you know that there is nothing you can do.
the most enjoyable part of the job is being involved in saving someones life.
Pros
good lunch room
Cons
none really
short staffed
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 27, 2018
most of the time they are always short staffed.but theres always overtime.hardest paryt of my job is doing a nursing home on my own on a heavy draw day..things I loved about my job my manager always asked me did I want overtime
I am a very good security officer
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 26, 2018
Security is a position I have held for many years and I was a good employee for Kaleida Health. I just did not feel that there was room for advancement and an opportunity to coach College Football came up and they would not work with my schedule
Registered Nurse Ventilator Unit (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 23, 2018
Great company to work for. My position offered flexibility for school. My position is Union based which was very helpful for job bidding and securing my position
NEVER WORK FOR Oishei Healthy Kids Healthhomes
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  1100 Main St, Buffalo NyJuly 14, 2018
I am truly sad about this review because this company has the potential to go far if it was ran by the right people. So many workers in the Oishei Healthy Kids programs is so unhappy. The work load is terrible, the way staff gets treated is terrible. Most of the staff is currently applying to other agencies because it is so bad. Management staff only cares about the money aspect and not the quality of care of the clients. The environment is uncomfortable and no one is motivated to provide good service because everyone is too busy applying out to other jobs. Sadly management staff is very unorganized and can be delusional at times in regards to what is truly going on with their staff. They are so concerned with getting billing done for this month that they fail to realize the negative mental effect this stress of the job is having. I know about 11 Case managers that are actively looking for a new job to get out of this place.

Management staff loves to double team staff members below them. They will tell you that they want to do an case review with you but in return it is actually an attack on your character as an person and how bad you suck at your job.

Also, half of the management staff lack cultural sensitivity and the proper diplomas to be qualified for the position. I guess you can get anywhere in life when you know somebody and you dont have to put in the work.

Please reconsider applying for this place. Working here is not worth the mental pain it will cause on you. Lastly, for my coworkers who are still working there, I pray for you everyday because I know
  more... you need it. Please get out of there fast.

Dear HR guy who hires for this team,

You are consistently going to continue to do interviews because there will always be case managers and CHWs who quit. The problem is management! Its funny how everyone is leaving but MANAGEMENT. MANAGEMENT is the problem.

Goodluck
Pros
Pay
Cons
uncomfortable environment to work
Stable and secure
PCA (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYJuly 13, 2018
Kaleida is a great place to work once you get in because it is stable and secure. If you follow the rules, don’t abuse your privileges, and work hard- you can go far!
Kaleida is a fine place to work
Patient Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 11, 2018
Kaleida is not a bad place to work. However, if you are employed in the department I'm in there is no room for advancement.
I have learned a lot. Been on many different billing teams, our teams were broken down by insurance payer and type of service.
I have experience with inpatient billing and outpatient billing.
I would say the best think about Kaleida is the paid time off.
Do not work for Oishei Healthy Kids as a Care Manager or Community Health Worker
Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 10, 2018
The biggest mistake you could make is accepting a job through Kaleida Health as a Care Manager or Community Health Worker for Oishei Healthy Kids. The failure of the business is noticeable as soon as you start training. Management is outright rude, secretive, manipulative, and they will choose favorites and treat all employees with different standards. Not one manager is on the same page as the other, the interim director is unapproachable, and over half of the administration team was derived from private connections through the jobs they had been previously fired from.

When interviewing, you are told that you will be provided with parking, great benefits, a flexible work schedule, such as having the option of working from home, and guaranteed a small caseload. However, all that management is focused on is billing and micromanaging their employees, rather than focusing on the quality of care that they should be providing to their members. The numbers of enrollments are the most important factor to the management, even though they do not have enough Care Managers to provide services to those families.

If you are hired as a Care Manager, you will be given a full caseload of files that have not been touched for months and you will be responsible for making the appropriate contact in order to get your monthly billing quota completed. The office is now at the point of over-saturation and there is not enough room to place new employees at desks. Management no longer wants to see their employees in the office, rather they should be out in the field. When in the office, employees
  more... are drilled about what they are doing, even though documentation is one of the most important factors in ensuring "quality of care."

Management has promised additional office space, a lunch/break room, and a union contract to improve benefits. All of those things have been promised since December, and now they don't have enough money to support those promises. Employees are only given a 30 minute unpaid lunch, yet there is nowhere in the building for employees to go and take their lunch. Additionally, the Community Health Workers are expected to wander the streets daily, pressuring people to enroll into our health home, and are put into unsafe situations multiple time throughout the week.

If you accept a job with Oishei Healthy Kids, expect to feel irritated every single day, disrespected by your superiors, and belittled. Expect to be pulled into managements office and drilled about other employees work ethic, drilled about your effective use of time, and to be micromanaged by keeping minute-by-minute updates of your work day through your outlook calendar. You will quickly realize that Kaleida does not support the health home and that several providers have poor relationships with the health home because of the failure to "lead with care." You will be the managements next victim, finding one flaw and reason to be the next employee they run out the door.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor management, no sick days, constant changing of guidelines, filthy/out of date office, no professionalism, not enough parking for employees, unpaid lunches, micromanagement, management is rude and disrespectful.
Break room
Patient Care Assistant (PCA) (Former Employee) –  North Tonawanda, NYJune 26, 2018
working for such a good company good hours having a lots of patience and understanding not having enough time in the day to work taking care of others you grow and learn in the big company working with a wonderful group of co- workers made our job a good and safe place
Run
Case manager- Oishei Healthy Kids (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 24, 2018
Please do not take this job, no matter how good the human resource guy sells the position to you. You want to know why they are hiring so much because the staff is genuinely unhappy and miserable and they keep resigning. Alot of people have left good jobs to come here and they have regretted it.

By the way, no paid holidays and we have to eat in our cars for lunch because there is no room to eat any place else. Pathetic
Pros
Pay
Pay is Great
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 17, 2018
Fellow RN's are dedicated and committed to patients and families besides the barriers of short staffing and inability to communicate effectively with management
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Management turn over high and unskilled
Not what they make it seem
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 12, 2018
When I applied the people I spoke to made Kaleida seem like the best place to work. Benefits, paid holidays, retirement, set schedule. All lies. Holidays are only “paid” if you use your own personal PTO towards them. No retirement plan. They lied about have a set schedule and then try to force you to work overtime. Talk about all these amazing discounts you receive as well, bunch of garbage. Places you’ll most likely never go. Management is so arrogant. Parking is $90 a month, at a discounted rate. If you’re even able to get a hold of the parking department. Worked there over a month and they kept telling me they’d get back to me about a permit. My badge never worked so I couldn’t open any doors. Tried not paying me for a few days. It’s a sketchy place to work. Don’t fall for their lies. The grass isn’t as green as they make it seem.
Cut throat
Employee (Current Employee) –  NYMay 28, 2018
I've worked for Kaleida for twenty-five years , never thought my job would be cut to part-time and have to find my own job at Kaleida . Only because I've worked there so long ,is the reason why I've stayed. The union is ridicules .
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
poor parking, my manager is clueless
workplace is ok
Laboratory Processor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 25, 2018
I been with kaleida for seven years. I just graduated with a criminal justice degree I want to work in that field. The pay is decent I'm just ready to advance.
i love this job
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 21, 2018
They only reason I left was because I had to take care of a love one who was in hospice and I was working on a hospice floor it became to much mentally.
Pros
great pay and advancement
Cons
Good at times, not so good at other times...more the latter
IT (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 10, 2018
The people there are dedicated and hard working for the most part. I learned a lot from a lot of different people there.

Decisions being made behind closed doors, however, got worse over the years. Training is non-existent for non-union personnel and nobody says a thing because you will be let go. People are being fired every day and they just show up to your cube/office with a box to let you know.

Executive management this past year invited all management to a meeting so they can brag that BGH hospital was for the first time ever, in the black! Meanwhile, managers in that room are working in departments that are severely understaffed and these executives continue to make decisions that ultimately fire people daily.

The IT department is run by an idiot who has no real clue, other than to mimic the setup that was used at his last hospital. He continues to bring in foreigners and outsource other services. Clearly, nobody at the top has a clue of the impact, or cares, about those at the bottom. I didn't think the Catholics were right, but they are. Kaleida only cares about the bottom line. I would not recommend putting your time and effort into this company as every worker in the company is expendable and walks around all day having to worry whether you will be employed tomorrow.
Pros
People, Middle Management
Cons
They dump all over the people, Upper management out of touch
Excellent company that supports career advancement.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 7, 2018
Kaleida is an excellent company that supports career advancement. They provide great benifits including tuition assistance. Management ensures a safe work enviornment.
Workplace
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 29, 2018
Appreciate working here at the hospital all the departments work together to make sure the patient gets the best health care treatment. It’s a pleasure to be part of the company and I will Continue to work further.