Kaleida Health Employee Reviews

i love this job
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 21, 2018
They only reason I left was because I had to take care of a love one who was in hospice and I was working on a hospice floor it became to much mentally.
Pros
great pay and advancement
Cons
Good at times, not so good at other times...more the latter
IT (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 10, 2018
The people there are dedicated and hard working for the most part. I learned a lot from a lot of different people there.

Decisions being made behind closed doors, however, got worse over the years. Training is non-existent for non-union personnel and nobody says a thing because you will be let go. People are being fired every day and they just show up to your cube/office with a box to let you know.

Executive management this past year invited all management to a meeting so they can brag that BGH hospital was for the first time ever, in the black! Meanwhile, managers in that room are working in departments that are severely understaffed and these executives continue to make decisions that ultimately fire people daily.

The IT department is run by an idiot who has no real clue, other than to mimic the setup that was used at his last hospital. He continues to bring in foreigners and outsource other services. Clearly, nobody at the top has a clue of the impact, or cares, about those at the bottom. I didn't think the Catholics were right, but they are. Kaleida only cares about the bottom line. I would not recommend putting your time and effort into this company as every worker in the company is expendable and walks around all day having to worry whether you will be employed tomorrow.
Pros
People, Middle Management
Cons
They dump all over the people, Upper management out of touch
Workplace
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 29, 2018
Appreciate working here at the hospital all the departments work together to make sure the patient gets the best health care treatment. It’s a pleasure to be part of the company and I will Continue to work further.
Work life balance is out of sync
Interim Senior Director Corporate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 26, 2018
The company needs more diversity. KH does not implement best practices in the finance department. Only a few employees provide 85% of the department responsibilities.
Pros
Great Compensation
Cons
Work culture is lacking
I appreciate the comradery of the staff.
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 24, 2018
I appreciate my job in the recovery room. I like the idea of working one-on-one with my patients. I feel that my job at Kaleida gave me skills to work independently and the knowledge to handle stressful and life threatening with unstable patients.
Pros
Working with the children
Cons
Parking at the new facility
I would not recommend becoming a Care Manager
Care Manager Behavioral Health (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 23, 2018
I went into this position of Care Manager- Behavioral Health thinking because it was working for Kaleida and they have a decent reputation that I would enjoy working here. I was wrong. This isn’t actually Kaleida, completely separate department and using the name as a means to “recruit more people”. It turns out that unfortunately the only focus of this department is billing which negates the quality of care that should be given to the people we are supposed to be helping.
Management is horrendous. There is no room for advancement and Care Managers are treated like they are incapable of learning the job. The training given is the poorest possible with no organization and then you are given a 40 person caseload and expected to bill everyone, not to mention also complete care plans, hold case reviews and complete various assessments. It’s just not possible with that many people. If you are considering this position proceed with caution.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Sadly, the worst experience in my long career.
Care Manager Behavioral Health (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 19, 2018
Do not work as a Care Manager Behavioral Health at OHK.
The benefits are horrible. Managers and Supervisors were unprepared, unprofessional with no manners and no respect for employees. There’s no decent training and the little information they provided is poor and unrelated to job activities. I do not remember a day when “trainers” have shown up on time and prepared to train. The expectations were unrealistic and senseless.

Employees’s morale was always low. Employees were mistreated and their flaws were consistently exposed during “morning hurdles”. The new employees were always confused and misguided.

The description of the position is wrong and the information provided here is incorrect. You have to use PTO for holidays and you are expected to work on some weekends. Caseloads were very high and unmanageable. The main focus of administrators is about revenue, billing and “making the agency look good”.

The majority of employees came from the same agency (where they worked before) and those employees received special treatment and soft reviews.

Leadership was rude to employees, words of encouragement felt empty and dishonest.
Pros
Some staff are wonderful caring people.
Cons
Plenty, see the review.
Not enought people to go around
Clinical Informatics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 19, 2018
There is absolutely no training or on-boarding. You are shown to your cube and left to figure it out. Your co-workers may or may not help orient you. Most often they don't help because they are so overworked they don't have time. They also don't have any direction as to what your duties will be. No communication form director of department. Emails not answered. Inequity in how employees are treated.
Never met a group that allows employees to treat each other poorly and be told "they've always been that way to everyone. Don't take it personally.
Pros
Nice amount of vacation days
Cons
No communication from management.
Depending On Hospital
Patient Reception Registration / Medical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 19, 2018
Depending on which hospital in the Kaleida system you work at, you can be very busy or you can be extremely slow. Not all of the hospitals and their employees are treated the same by the administration and it can be extremely frustrating and stressful to work for a slower paced hospital.
Busy
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 15, 2018
Fast pace and busy. Registering patients, you meet a lot of children and family members. But I also see a lot of sad cases working in a children's ER.
Being a Patient care assistant is always rewarding.
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 14, 2018
As a patient care assistant, Caring for the needs whether it be physical, emotional, mental or even spiritual, was my main focus. However, Kaleida loss its love for the actual profession and it greatly started to show in the constant lack of staff and proper management.
Average place to work
Corporate Job (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 3, 2018
It is a good place for those who just want a job. If you want to develop your skills and grow, you might be better off in a smaller organization. Overall it is an average place.
The basics
Critical Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 28, 2018
Nurses are very well compensated. PTO accumulates quickly. Shift, charge nurse and triage nurse differential pay. Unionized. Floor patient to nurse ratio ranges, 1:5-7 usually 1:6, ER 1:4
awsome place to work
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 21, 2018
great company to work for they encourage you to further you education and advance in employment great coworkers its like a family I would recommend friends and family
Pros
friendy family enviornment
Cons
some lazy coworkers as in any job
Liars and backstabbers.
Information Technology - Installation Tech (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 19, 2018
Only thing good about working for them was that the hours were decent, and good when asking for time off or appointments. The management did an excellent job hyping up about the possibility of getting hired on permanently. (dangled a carrot in my face) Lead manager was nothing but a spineless joke, and constantly pointed the blame on everyone else.

Even though I tried to be positive and enthusiastic, they were very hesitant about showing me anything new that would be beneficial for future career purposes.
Pros
Reasonable with time off.
Cons
Poor leadership, bad management throughout the whole department
Kaleida Health
Full-time RN on Acute (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 19, 2018
Productive and collaborative workplace where I learned new skills/facts on a daily basis. Management was fair. workplace culture was versatile. I enjoyed working with my co-workers who shared my healthcare and patient outcome goals in a new and friendly environment.
Pros
flexible
Cons
down town facility
interesting
Nutrition Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 5, 2018
hardest thing job I did was dishwashing, and tray cleanings... I liked the job when it didn't get hacked, and confusing at one time or another. But in all the job was a job
Pros
breakfast and lunch discounts
Cons
not organized
Highest paid health care workers in Western New York
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 2, 2018
Kaleida is a good company to work for however I could have done without the Union. Excellent benefits and time off. Fast paced work environment lots of opportunity for overtime they could work on their staffing
Cons
Union
Nothing special just
Hospitality Associate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 27, 2018
No respect for new hires
Want to watch you during drug test
Super awkward PA conducts health screen
They expect you to pay for your parking
Not worth it
Cons
Invasion of privacy
Staff Attorney (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 19, 2018
Pros
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent organizational leadership, passion, and culture
- Programs really make a difference in the students' lives
Cons
Any new site comes with some growing pains and so we are still figuring some things out as we go. Could use a little more direction or "best practices" from other sites or leadership. But again, these things come with any new sites!
Advice to Management
Leadership does an excellent job of connecting with the lower level employees. This really goes a long way so keep it up leadership!