Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools Employee Reviews

Rewarding yet sometimes unbearable
Cafeteria Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 21, 2019
Productive work environment meeting the nutritional needs of elementary school kids while interacting accordingly. Unfortunately, the salary fails to meet necessary living standards for such an important responsibility. Additionally, staff are unpaid for teacher in-service days, holidays, breaks such as but not limited to Christmas, new years and spring break and all nationally recognized holidays which create financial pressures.
Pros
Meeting the needs of students
Cons
Unpaid days
Meaningful work and fun working with students
HR Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 20, 2019
Good for someone who's purpose is to help children get a better education. Average salary. Good time off. Office politics can be challenging. Great team of professional and administrative staff.
Progressive and student centered
Principal (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 21, 2019
This district is committed to doing what is best for Children. Although the work is hard to move low performing students forward, it is extremely rewarding.
Pros
Amazing colleagues and families to work with
Cons
Long hours outside of work
Great place to begin my teaching career
Secondary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 2, 2019
As a Senior (1967) at Wyandotte High School in Kansas City, KS, I received a full-paid, two-year scholarship to Kansas City Kansas Community College. After I completed my education at the University of Kansas, I was able to procure a job at Sumner High School in the Kansas City, KS School District. A typical day at Sumner High School was filled with fun and excitement, as this was my first year of teaching and every day was an adventure. The student body was comprised of 100% African-American students, and the students taught me lessons in culture and social acceptance that were invaluable to my development as a teacher. I had a wonderful principal who provided a positive workplace culture for both students and faculty. The hardest part of my job was being able to relate to my students in the beginning of the school year, but the most enjoyable part of my job was achieving acceptance from them. I believe this was the best year of my teaching career; I will never forget how it prepared me for a career in teaching.
Pros
Wonderful students, teachers, and a great principal.
Cons
There were none.
working with children
AIDE (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSDecember 27, 2018
the people who are there are very nice, insurance is high and you can barley afford it, they hardly give raises and are unwilling to help the employees, no paid time off was available
No comment
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 27, 2018
Its been type of experience.Working for the school district you can't be even promoted to other departments.We cant even have overtime anymore.One must stay ontop of ypur job while working in this environment.
There is little to desire.
Satellite Cafeteria Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 25, 2018
Working with KCKPS is rewarding. Only because I personally work with innocent elementary school children. The administration to the school I am working are very supportive of me. They are more supportive than my management. Communication with management is never easy or comfortable. For what we are paid we are severely overworked. For what we are expected to do, we are underappreciated. What I didn't know going into this job, if there is no school for example when there are snow days or any day that there is no school, there is no pay. You'll get plenty of time off, but your finances will certainly suffer. If you have extra time and money on your hands and can stand days without breaks, I think this job would be perfect for you.
Pros
Innocent children, days off.
Cons
Everything else. Management, pay, work-life balance.
Stressful job made worse by the very petty childish employees employed there. Poorly managed
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 16, 2018
To much favoritism. Takes to many hours in a day to reach your 8 hours. Poor management. Most of the employees there are very childish and petty. They are more concerned with being in your business instead of focusing on their job duties
Productive and demanding workplace
English Language Learner Aide (Former Employee) –  Junction City, KSNovember 13, 2018
A typical day at work, I accompanied about 3 or 6 students in the same class to encourage them to do their classwork, to assist them to master their assignments, translate from English to Spanish or Vice Versa the material they do not understand from the class and to reinforce learning concepts. The hardest part of the job was to keep them engage because the barrier of language. The most enjoyable part of the job when you see the students succeed.
Pros
Snow Day- No School
Cons
No breaks, all the time working with students.
Extremely poor
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSNovember 12, 2018
Treated unfairly and had more work put onto me to make sure I didn't have a break. My job evaluation was scored below standards when my work hadn't changed since the previous year. I was put on a work improvement plan in 2017. I filed suit and was transferred to another school. It did no good to go to upper management. Everyone involved was out to get rid of me.
Benefits
Cons
Teamwork, unjustified documentation
This is a wonderful place to work.
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Newton, KSNovember 9, 2018
This is an excellent place to work and the staff and the students were wonderful. We had excellent benefits. The only problem was that this is a 9month job and I needed 12 months. It became to hard to find summer work.
Teaching 5th grade
5th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 9, 2018
I started out in one position and ended in another which is not how it was supposed to be.
A typical day included driving an hour from home to get to work. Getting to work and co-teaching with 2 other great teachers.
I learned that parent involvement in their child's education is very important.
The hardest part was trying to get to work everyday.
The most enjoyable part was collaborating with other teachers.
Pros
Meeting new teachers.
Cons
You could be moved to another school without any notice.
Great environment
Para Educator/Job Coach Project SEARCH (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSNovember 5, 2018
Typical teaching job. The school district and fellow teachers are amazing to work with. The hardest part of the job was making things happen with few resources. The best part of the job was working with the kids each day!
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Not so great benefits
fast paced, never a dull moment
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 4, 2018
A typical day was fast paced but it made the day go by quickly. If there happened to be any down town there is always things that can be done. I am not one to sit ideal very well. I like to stay busy and I can always find something to do.
It was a diverse culture and I like that. I like to learn about other people and what I can do to help them.
I would have to say the hardest part of my job was when it was passing period and a parent would come to pick up their student and I couldn't locate them until the student was in the next classroom.
The most enjoyable was the fast pace that is required to do the job.
Pros
I enjoyed the job responsibilities
Cons
favoritism
Special Educator
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wamego, KSOctober 26, 2018
Enjoyed the people and working culture.
The district is in the bottom 1/3 of salaries in the state.
Working environment was good.
Career advancement could have been better.
Pros
Cons
Salary in 1/3 bottom of the state.
Great place to work.
Educator/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Emporia, KSOctober 22, 2018
Love working here and enjoy working with my students. I feel free to educate and be creative to my natural ability. I would recommend working here to anyone looking for a rewarding employment.
I enjoyed using my mechanical skills on a daily basis.
Maintenance Staff (Former Employee) –  Scott City, KSOctober 14, 2018
Daily duties involved maintaining classrooms to repairing district buildings or pouring concrete. I involved communicating with teachers to provide assistance with classroom repairs to provide safety for students. I enjoyed seeing the students each day.
Classroom Experience
Elementary Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Emporia, KSOctober 6, 2018
Great learning experience with many different classroom examples. Had the opportunity to work in many different classrooms from K-8 at different schools.
Pros
Opportunity to work in different grade levels classrooms
Cons
Wanted a full-time class room experience of my own
Not a good place to work. Chaotic classrooms, students fighting and being disruptive. No backup from adminstration.
Substitute Teacher k-12 (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 6, 2018
KCPSCHOOLS was not a pleasant to work. Classroom were chaptic with students often fighting. No backup from adminstration.
They do not actually want to hire people with advanced degrees like I have as that would mean paying a higher salary. What they really want is young teach for america teachers who they can pay very little for as the US goverment pays half their salary.
Stressful and unsupportive
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 4, 2018
Special Education is under attack. Lack of funding for the programs has led to understaffing of teachers and paraprofessionals. This has left the classrooms unsafe and without instruction. No time for teachers to plan or prepare for instruction nor time for additional special education paperwork.
Cons
Gets worse every year