Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools

Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools Employee Reviews

United States41 reviews
the people who are there are very nice, insurance is high and you can barley afford it, they hardly give raises and are unwilling to help the employees, no paid time off was available
I enjoy working with children and my co workers are awesome. I look forward to going in to work everyday. I like the shift and my kitchen manager is very open to listen to whatever.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Working here was fun, and my coworkers were great. I left because I was employed part-time and there was little room to move into a full-time position.
So I work for Nutritional services for USD 500.. My supervisor gossips tells everyone business in the work place & I Kno she hate us younger black chicks. No matter how good u are she will do everything in her power to knock you down if they witness will be bullied and every time I respond I get suspended while the person that starts the problem remains at work because they have higher seniority than me but it's okay
Pros
Kids
Cons
Adults
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
They take great care of their bus drivers. Good pay and benefits. Only downside is during school breaks you have to have another way to earn money if you’re a one income household
I love waking up for work I look forward to see how my students faces each and every day and I also look forward. to seeing my co-workers as well we help each other out we all work together and we just all give each other that push and that thrive to go on and that is the best part about it
Employees are being advised by their doctors to quit their jobs due to the level of stress we have to endure on a daily basis. Most of this stress is due to poor management at the district level.
The workplace environment is inclusive and promotes diversity and excellence. I have been a substitute for several schools in the district and they promote a positive working environment for everyone.
Assessed and referred school staff & students for any urgent need for medical attention.
Assessed and provided episodic care to students for anaphylaxis, musculoskeletal injuries, skin,

respiratory, and gastrointestinal infections.

Managed students for chronic health conditions such as epilepsy, ADHD, asthma, diabetes, and

mental or physical disabilities.

Promoted primary health care for the school staff and students via educational and other activities

throughout the school year. Provided annual hearing, eye, and wellness screening to the students.
Only care about scores. I was told "we don't focus on growth, we only focus on achievement" This is not a school district I would recommend anyone work for
what can I say. Well I think that I will start with the bad. Management was horrible and unorganized. But for the most part you fell in love with your students and the teachers and that made your job fun and enjoyable.
I loved my students, colleagues and superiors at both of my schools. I felt highly trained and was treated with respect. Because of lots of training provided by the district there were expectations that go well beyond the basic work day. Although I agree our students deserve it, it is not ideal for teachers’ well-being.
I started out loving my job in the district, but the last year I was there was terrible. I felt as though administration had a personal vendetta against me and waited until the last minute to advise me of termination. I felt like I was okay since it was so late in the year. By the time I received my letter, almost all other area teaching jobs were already filled. Superintendent cares more about standardized test scores than the students.
The supervisor as well as staff are the most ghetto unprofessional group of people I’ve ever worked with in my life! There is no professionalism here when it comes to security... the whole time I was being trained everything I did and said was one big joke and my mistakes would get made fun of instead of addressed in a professional demeanor. I would constantly get threatened by the Sargent to learn my role as a security officer here when the training was very poor if any training took place at all. As a site based officer you are not not performing security related duties. You are more so a hall monitor. Your job is to yell at the students at the top of your lungs telling them to go to class. If they decide to not listen to you and skip... you get in trouble for it. Do not work here unless you want to work with a bunch of ghetto people who know nothing about security and look like they have just been released from prison.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Ghetto co workers and supervisors, poor training, no breaks, they threaten you to learn your job when they teach you nothing
This position was funded by a state grant, so there were pros and cons with that. There was a little more flexibility with spending as it was just for that program, but there was also more work completing the grant.
Productive work environment meeting the nutritional needs of elementary school kids while interacting accordingly. Unfortunately, the salary fails to meet necessary living standards for such an important responsibility. Additionally, staff are unpaid for teacher in-service days, holidays, breaks such as but not limited to Christmas, new years and spring break and all nationally recognized holidays which create financial pressures.
Pros
Meeting the needs of students
Cons
Unpaid days
Good for someone who's purpose is to help children get a better education. Average salary. Good time off. Office politics can be challenging. Great team of professional and administrative staff.
This district is committed to doing what is best for Children. Although the work is hard to move low performing students forward, it is extremely rewarding.
Pros
Amazing colleagues and families to work with
Cons
Long hours outside of work
As a Senior (1967) at Wyandotte High School in Kansas City, KS, I received a full-paid, two-year scholarship to Kansas City Kansas Community College. After I completed my education at the University of Kansas, I was able to procure a job at Sumner High School in the Kansas City, KS School District. A typical day at Sumner High School was filled with fun and excitement, as this was my first year of teaching and every day was an adventure. The student body was comprised of 100% African-American students, and the students taught me lessons in culture and social acceptance that were invaluable to my development as a teacher. I had a wonderful principal who provided a positive workplace culture for both students and faculty. The hardest part of my job was being able to relate to my students in the beginning of the school year, but the most enjoyable part of my job was achieving acceptance from them. I believe this was the best year of my teaching career; I will never forget how it prepared me for a career in teaching.
Pros
Wonderful students, teachers, and a great principal.
Cons
There were none.
Its been type of experience.Working for the school district you can't be even promoted to other departments.We cant even have overtime anymore.One must stay ontop of ypur job while working in this environment.
Working with KCKPS is rewarding. Only because I personally work with innocent elementary school children. The administration to the school I am working are very supportive of me. They are more supportive than my management. Communication with management is never easy or comfortable. For what we are paid we are severely overworked. For what we are expected to do, we are underappreciated. What I didn't know going into this job, if there is no school for example when there are snow days or any day that there is no school, there is no pay. You'll get plenty of time off, but your finances will certainly suffer. If you have extra time and money on your hands and can stand days without breaks, I think this job would be perfect for you.
Pros
Innocent children, days off.
Cons
Everything else. Management, pay, work-life balance.