Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools Employee Reviews

No appreciation, expendable assets.
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 10, 2019
I started out loving my job in the district, but the last year I was there was terrible. I felt as though administration had a personal vendetta against me and waited until the last minute to advise me of termination. I felt like I was okay since it was so late in the year. By the time I received my letter, almost all other area teaching jobs were already filled. Superintendent cares more about standardized test scores than the students.
If you want to get bullied during training Work here
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 15, 2019
The supervisor as well as staff are the most ghetto unprofessional group of people I’ve ever worked with in my life! There is no professionalism here when it comes to security... the whole time I was being trained everything I did and said was one big joke and my mistakes would get made fun of instead of addressed in a professional demeanor. I would constantly get threatened by the Sargent to learn my role as a security officer here when the training was very poor if any training took place at all. As a site based officer you are not not performing security related duties. You are more so a hall monitor. Your job is to yell at the students at the top of your lungs telling them to go to class. If they decide to not listen to you and skip... you get in trouble for it. Do not work here unless you want to work with a bunch of ghetto people who know nothing about security and look like they have just been released from prison.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Ghetto co workers and supervisors, poor training, no breaks, they threaten you to learn your job when they teach you nothing
Great program
Preschool Teacher/Preschool Grant Project (Former Employee) –  Vermillion, KSApril 10, 2019
This position was funded by a state grant, so there were pros and cons with that. There was a little more flexibility with spending as it was just for that program, but there was also more work completing the grant.
Rewarding yet sometimes unbearable
Cafeteria Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 21, 2019
Productive work environment meeting the nutritional needs of elementary school kids while interacting accordingly. Unfortunately, the salary fails to meet necessary living standards for such an important responsibility. Additionally, staff are unpaid for teacher in-service days, holidays, breaks such as but not limited to Christmas, new years and spring break and all nationally recognized holidays which create financial pressures.
Pros
Meeting the needs of students
Cons
Unpaid days
Meaningful work and fun working with students
HR Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 20, 2019
Good for someone who's purpose is to help children get a better education. Average salary. Good time off. Office politics can be challenging. Great team of professional and administrative staff.
Progressive and student centered
Principal (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 21, 2019
This district is committed to doing what is best for Children. Although the work is hard to move low performing students forward, it is extremely rewarding.
Pros
Amazing colleagues and families to work with
Cons
Long hours outside of work
Great place to begin my teaching career
Secondary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJanuary 2, 2019
As a Senior (1967) at Wyandotte High School in Kansas City, KS, I received a full-paid, two-year scholarship to Kansas City Kansas Community College. After I completed my education at the University of Kansas, I was able to procure a job at Sumner High School in the Kansas City, KS School District. A typical day at Sumner High School was filled with fun and excitement, as this was my first year of teaching and every day was an adventure. The student body was comprised of 100% African-American students, and the students taught me lessons in culture and social acceptance that were invaluable to my development as a teacher. I had a wonderful principal who provided a positive workplace culture for both students and faculty. The hardest part of my job was being able to relate to my students in the beginning of the school year, but the most enjoyable part of my job was achieving acceptance from them. I believe this was the best year of my teaching career; I will never forget how it prepared me for a career in teaching.
Pros
Wonderful students, teachers, and a great principal.
Cons
There were none.
working with children
AIDE (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSDecember 27, 2018
the people who are there are very nice, insurance is high and you can barley afford it, they hardly give raises and are unwilling to help the employees, no paid time off was available
No comment
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 27, 2018
Its been type of experience.Working for the school district you can't be even promoted to other departments.We cant even have overtime anymore.One must stay ontop of ypur job while working in this environment.
There is little to desire.
Satellite Cafeteria Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 25, 2018
Working with KCKPS is rewarding. Only because I personally work with innocent elementary school children. The administration to the school I am working are very supportive of me. They are more supportive than my management. Communication with management is never easy or comfortable. For what we are paid we are severely overworked. For what we are expected to do, we are underappreciated. What I didn't know going into this job, if there is no school for example when there are snow days or any day that there is no school, there is no pay. You'll get plenty of time off, but your finances will certainly suffer. If you have extra time and money on your hands and can stand days without breaks, I think this job would be perfect for you.
Pros
Innocent children, days off.
Cons
Everything else. Management, pay, work-life balance.
Not a good place to work. Chaotic classrooms, students fighting and being disruptive. No backup from adminstration.
Substitute Teacher k-12 (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 6, 2018
KCPSCHOOLS was not a pleasant to work. Classroom were chaptic with students often fighting. No backup from adminstration.
They do not actually want to hire people with advanced degrees like I have as that would mean paying a higher salary. What they really want is young teach for america teachers who they can pay very little for as the US goverment pays half their salary.
Stressful and unsupportive
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 4, 2018
Special Education is under attack. Lack of funding for the programs has led to understaffing of teachers and paraprofessionals. This has left the classrooms unsafe and without instruction. No time for teachers to plan or prepare for instruction nor time for additional special education paperwork.
Cons
Gets worse every year
Benefits with paid holidays
Enterprise Systems Leader (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 5, 2018
Some of the people were nice and some not so much. The benefits were good and there was extra time off at Christmas.

Management was at times a challenge.

There was not an atmosphere of keeping current with technology and job skills.
Pros
shorter work day with extra holidays
Cons
challenged in organizational skills
Great place to work.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 27, 2018
I enjoyed working as a substitute teacher. It was rewarding and the pay was very good for a partime job. The environment was very good and my supervisor was one of the very best to work for. Flexible schedule. Great co-workers. Opportunities for advancement. Fifteen minute drive.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No benefits
School District
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 10, 2018
This was a part time position and I didn't really mix with management. I did however, through my observations that the Service Desk is slow to make changes.
Independent thinking could be better accepted
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 7, 2018
Your career success was based on your management, team work was great but could have been even better if independent thinking was better accepted and valued more.
Pros
An organization that supports the growth of students to be good citizens.
Cons
Some leaders have unbalanced influence over the organization.
Head Boy's Coach (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 29, 2018
I loved working in the Kansas City Kansas area. The teaching staff was wonderful and the administration was very supportive. I loved my time at the school.
Pros
Great staff to work with.
Cons
Travel
Family Community, Professional Colleagues
Early Childhood Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 12, 2018
Many opportunities for professional development and educational advancement. However, the district did not compensate for tuition reimbursement. Lots of classroom/employee observations and reviews.
If it not be for the love of the community and kids
Satellite Cafeteria Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 26, 2018
It's not financially a wonderful place. But the children make me truly appreciate what I do. I feel we should receive more financial earnings for what we do daily. We have "job titles" but so much more is involved in the day to day operations of dealing with children.
Supportive work environment
Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 24, 2018
Working in this school district has shown that colleagues and administration are supportive of their education staff. Teachers work hard to assist students with their education, career path research, and building strong student-teacher relationships.

As with any education profession, there are good days and bad days. Working with the students, helping them work towards their education, and observing them master their craft is a joy that makes being an educator worth the struggle.