Kansas City, MO School District Employee Reviews

Hostile work environment
Paraprofessional / Parent Liaison (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 16, 2018
Non-support of the administration towards all staff. The position aids students to complete makeup work through virtual sessions. What made this position difficult was that students are allowed to do or not to do and there was nothing I could do about it, with administrations non-support.
Pros
Learning why the system isn't working.
Cons
Out of control students.
Use your own judgement
Exceptional Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 29, 2018
This is not a career for people that have to take care of elderly parents or other relatives. Its difficult to take a leave of absence. Use your own judgement. I've worked for them for 15+ years. Never thought I lasted this long.
Fun place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 11, 2018
It was a very fast pace to work i loved working with children and been able to provide them with a healthy lunch . It was also fun working around other people .
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
n/a
It’s a good job, looking to advance
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  North Kansas City, MOAugust 7, 2018
North Kansas City school district is a good place to work. We are currently in the process of adding two new schools, along with the remodel of North Kansas City high school. Along with this has introduced new challenges. The new challenges are the upgrading in lighting and controls, but they are offering no further or, continuing education. I personally like new challenges, but I also like to do things the right way and with that comes further education on new advancements in lighting, and controls I personally enjoy all the upper management, teachers, along with coworkers that I work with. Again north Kansas City school district is a great place to work,!I’m just looking for new challenges and to advance myself in my career path.
Pros
Great benefits and paid time off
Cons
Salary. Increases are minimal workload is increasing due to new Schools being added
Lifetime of experience
Elementary Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 29, 2018
Working for KC MO schools changed my life forever! I loved helping inner-city children love learning! The administration provided workshops that I could choose from to help me become more organized and implement the objectives that the district wanted in every classroom.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement, training, teaching experience
Cons
10 hour days and some weekends
It's a nice place to work, especially if you like children
FS Cook/cashier (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 22, 2018
I like working in the kitchen, I really love washing dishes, and the people whom I work with. I learned a lot working for the School District. Pay isn't all that great, but the work environment is very nice.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No cons
Student Clinical Rotation
Student Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 8, 2018
It was a clinical rotation for school. I was not paid but i saw a variety of kids with mainly non verbal and vision defecits. I traveled all around the KCK public school system seeing patients ranging from preschool to 21 year olds.
Not a great workplace
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  KansasJune 5, 2018
The principle was not a great person to talk too one side never understood what the teacher are assistant teacher explanation had be taken under consideration of explaining how a student would not be truthful.
Pros
some of the parents was great
Cons
cut-throat
My cooperating teacher was wpnderful
Para Educator (STEPS) Program (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 27, 2018
A typical day was spent assisting students with work assigned by the teacher. Many times formulated plans to complement goals set by the teacher. The hardest part of the job was dealing with crying and resistance to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing students achieve their goals.
Productive, fast paced, fun enviroment
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  GladstoneApril 22, 2018
Working next to professionals who care about their jobs. I love being able to work with the kids and learn in a fun environment. I have learned more about being an administrative assistant than I ever imagined.
Pros
Hours, co-workers, benefits
Cons
Pay for what you do
Supportive employer and collaborative colleagues.
Middle School Vice Principal (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 7, 2018
Assisted in administration of a magnet middle school for grades six through eight including: Orientation program for new students and parents; data entry/scheduling; discipline and student welfare; custodial staff for building, grounds, and security; new enrollment and withdrawal interviews; school busing program, including reports; tornado and fire drills, referral of students to various agencies and student services; school climate and morale; state classifications reports; opening of school and distribution of student programs; developing and maintaining student disciplinary records; serve on the School Disciplinary Committee; evaluation and supervision of certified and classified personnel as assigned by the Principal; instructional improvement; and school activities program.
Pros
Professional personnel to work with
Cons
Some long days are challenging.
Solid school district
Middle School Special Education Resource Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 2, 2018
One of the biggest issues was communication of expectations between Central office, department, and building as compared to feasibility of those expectations.
Pros
Variety of classroom deliverey models and compusation
Cons
Hard to balance time for all duties. Department support availability
Great Place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  KansasMarch 27, 2018
Best school district to work for I have worked for 2 others. This is by far the best.Management is great.Hardest part is the huge walk we have into work and to bus.
Pros
Unlimited OT
North Kansas City School District
Reading Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 11, 2018
Great district and fair hours. Close proximity to my home.highly trained staff members and high involvement with the community. Extraordinary leadership in Adminstrators.
Pros
Teacher collaboration
Cons
Scripted teaching was becoming mainstream
overall environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 27, 2018
My experience with the Kansas City Public School District has been challenging but I have gained and learned a lot about team building, problem solving and net working.
Pros
gain new knowledge and skills
Cons
challenging coworkers, disorganized environment
Lunch/Recess Clerk
Lunch/Recess Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 25, 2018
Overall great health insurance. The school I worked at had a ton of clerks that seemed to all clash. Admin didn't seem to know what to do with the clerks. Pay is extremely low by the time they take out mandatory public services retirement. It was extremely hard to deal with the behavior of the students with no training at all. The only reason I stayed a year was because the health insurance was great. It's also only a 10 month position, therefor there is no pay in the summer. There is the possibility of working summer school, but that is based on seniority and there is little chance of getting it. There is a huge disconnect between admin, teaching staff, and clerks. You realize pretty quickly that you are bottom of the totem pole.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
pay, admin, little training
Collabrative, supportive and uplifting place to work
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  KansasFebruary 7, 2018
It has been one the most enjoyable places to work. You will truly grow in your teaching and craft. The professional development provided is beneficial and cn be utilized in the classrooms immediately. It is also targeted so that teachers time is used productively. The administrators are great instructional leaders that encourages teachers to reach their highest potential and move up with the educational realm.
Not an enjoyable place to work
Boys PE Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 6, 2018
Students are out of control with no consequences for their actions. Administrators do not seem to have control of the building. If you want to have a stressful job with no administrator support, then this is the place for you.
Pros
Cons
It's all bad!
Teaching
Teacher (Former Employee) –  KansasFebruary 5, 2018
I taught 2nd grade and 1st grade and 6th grade in the NKC district. This was my first job out of college and it was great. I was a full time teacher until I was engaged and moved out of the city.
Was a great place to work it was just through a temp service and they never hired us they got rid of the temp service
KANSAS CITY (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 18, 2018
Wish I could have got hired on permanent but the people I was working for a lost the contract and I wish I could have got on permanent but the temp service I was hired through said they were not hiring us