Kansas City, MO School District Employee Reviews

Productive, fast paced, fun enviroment
Clerk II (Current Employee) –  GladstoneApril 22, 2018
Working next to professionals who care about their jobs. I love being able to work with the kids and learn in a fun environment. I have learned more about being an administrative assistant than I ever imagined.
Pros
Hours, co-workers, benefits
Cons
Pay for what you do
Supportive employer and collaborative colleagues.
Middle School Vice Principal (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 7, 2018
Assisted in administration of a magnet middle school for grades six through eight including: Orientation program for new students and parents; data entry/scheduling; discipline and student welfare; custodial staff for building, grounds, and security; new enrollment and withdrawal interviews; school busing program, including reports; tornado and fire drills, referral of students to various agencies and student services; school climate and morale; state classifications reports; opening of school and distribution of student programs; developing and maintaining student disciplinary records; serve on the School Disciplinary Committee; evaluation and supervision of certified and classified personnel as assigned by the Principal; instructional improvement; and school activities program.
Pros
Professional personnel to work with
Cons
Some long days are challenging.
Solid school district
Middle School Special Education Resource Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 2, 2018
One of the biggest issues was communication of expectations between Central office, department, and building as compared to feasibility of those expectations.
Pros
Variety of classroom deliverey models and compusation
Cons
Hard to balance time for all duties. Department support availability
Great Place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  KansasMarch 27, 2018
Best school district to work for I have worked for 2 others. This is by far the best.Management is great.Hardest part is the huge walk we have into work and to bus.
Pros
Unlimited OT
North Kansas City School District
Reading Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 11, 2018
Great district and fair hours. Close proximity to my home.highly trained staff members and high involvement with the community. Extraordinary leadership in Adminstrators.
Pros
Teacher collaboration
Cons
Scripted teaching was becoming mainstream
overall environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 27, 2018
My experience with the Kansas City Public School District has been challenging but I have gained and learned a lot about team building, problem solving and net working.
Pros
gain new knowledge and skills
Cons
challenging coworkers, disorganized environment
Lunch/Recess Clerk
Lunch/Recess Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 25, 2018
Overall great health insurance. The school I worked at had a ton of clerks that seemed to all clash. Admin didn't seem to know what to do with the clerks. Pay is extremely low by the time they take out mandatory public services retirement. It was extremely hard to deal with the behavior of the students with no training at all. The only reason I stayed a year was because the health insurance was great. It's also only a 10 month position, therefor there is no pay in the summer. There is the possibility of working summer school, but that is based on seniority and there is little chance of getting it. There is a huge disconnect between admin, teaching staff, and clerks. You realize pretty quickly that you are bottom of the totem pole.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
pay, admin, little training
Collabrative, supportive and uplifting place to work
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  KansasFebruary 7, 2018
It has been one the most enjoyable places to work. You will truly grow in your teaching and craft. The professional development provided is beneficial and cn be utilized in the classrooms immediately. It is also targeted so that teachers time is used productively. The administrators are great instructional leaders that encourages teachers to reach their highest potential and move up with the educational realm.
Not an enjoyable place to work
Boys PE Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 6, 2018
Students are out of control with no consequences for their actions. Administrators do not seem to have control of the building. If you want to have a stressful job with no administrator support, then this is the place for you.
Pros
Cons
It's all bad!
Teaching
Teacher (Former Employee) –  KansasFebruary 5, 2018
I taught 2nd grade and 1st grade and 6th grade in the NKC district. This was my first job out of college and it was great. I was a full time teacher until I was engaged and moved out of the city.
Was a great place to work it was just through a temp service and they never hired us they got rid of the temp service
KANSAS CITY (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 18, 2018
Wish I could have got hired on permanent but the people I was working for a lost the contract and I wish I could have got on permanent but the temp service I was hired through said they were not hiring us
great place to work
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 11, 2018
Worked with teachers who were very patient and willing to allow you to have input and worked in a well organized and structured environment always have needed supplies available to complete task
Pros
great work hours and great benefits
Cons
unsure of new school each year
Decent place to work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 3, 2018
KCPS is a good place to work and I gained quite a bit of knowledge from there. If you have the experience and don't mind the antiquated equipment that you are given then you will be just fine. Laid back and relaxed setting, training is some of the best that I have seen given to security in a long time. Supervisors are great to work with and understanding, managers are a little hard to get to and of course the mandatory micromanaging from some. The good ole' boy system is slowly fading out so the opportunity for advancement is growing.Healthcare package could be better 500 dollars a month for a family.
It was a very fun atmosphere with my coworkers and all. Manager was great.
Food specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 9, 2017
The school district is great. I love working with the kids and all. Brut they never gave me a chance to advance or extend my hours. I asked plenty of times to advance but noone would help me do that.
Pros
Just a learning experience to make different things.
Cons
No benefits
Kcps
Instructional Para-professional (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 9, 2017
Loved working for the district. Little to no advancement for paraprofessinals. Staff is very supportive and informative on curriculum and furthering of education.
Poor Management
Assessment Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 12, 2017
The management was knowledge about the role I played and wasn't supportive in the policy or procedure that was related to state regulations. The hardest part of the job was that, I was pulled to attend meetings that wasn't related to my job in when I needed to be working on a project that had a deadline.
Good place to have s part time job
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City MissouriSeptember 25, 2017
Absolutely Wonderful job to work, for..the children are excellent and teachers are Wonderful I Love the staff and the facuilty. Everyone was exceptional
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
Children are our future and I enjoy them as much as they enjoy me
Main student (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 7, 2017
Stressful but with God we made it working with such diversity in our our communities had it challenges. The inner city children tough me a few things as well.
No help.
Cheerleading Coach (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 4, 2017
People expected me to be able to coach without knowing the ropes or who to talk to about ordering equipment. Athletic director could care less about cheerleading. Made the very hard to bridge the gap between fans, students, faculty, and community.
Instructional Coach
Mathematics Instructional Coach (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 25, 2017
As a Instructional coach each day offered a new experience. Majority of the time was in classroom assisting teachers or testing students for state exams, college entrances exam(ACT, Compass etc)
Management was very supportive and encourage professional growth. I enjoyed providing professional development to teachers informing them of the new and changing educational technology.
The hardest part was working with a violent culture created by the inner city urban youth.
Pros
professional work climate
Cons
community environment