Kansas City Area Transportation Authority Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Bad Company Culture
Kansas City (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 22, 2018
Benefits are great, but current leadership makes the job unbarable. They are going through a budget crisis, yet the leadership keeps getting raises, new titles and new positions for friends while laying off the actual workers. The leadership treats union workers like children and removed all employee recognition because they couldn't fit it in their schedules.
The company is mediocre
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 20, 2018
The company is mediocre. The management is mediocre. The workplace culture doesn't foster growth. There are a lot of competing values at the company that make it difficult to work there.
Pros
The benefits are good
Cons
Competing values made it difficult to work there.
For those who like to work independently.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 20, 2018
Typically, if you're doing the job right, there is little supervision. You have control over your work environment and your work hours. The hardest part of the job is adapting to different environments.
Revolving door
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 17, 2018
I would not recommend this job to anyone, I've never worked a job where the door is constantly Revolving with new employees. KCATA does not care about keeping people for the long haul, there you are just another number, the culture here is fierce, immoral and favoritism is definitely at play, enter at your own risk.
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
Injust, cutthroat and uncaring.
Great Place of Employment. Great people.
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 24, 2018
Great place to work. Opportunities given to learn different parts of other job in the department. Great management staff. Friendly employees. Enjoyable part of job was interacting with other employees.
Pros
Cons
No Parking Garage
If you like working for the public this is a job for you.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 18, 2017
This is not a job for everyone, very demanding and stressful when dealing with the public. It's not for many young mothers with small children the hours are demanding and relentless.
benefits
Cons
the split shifts
Professional atmosphere with excellent company culture
Executive Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 21, 2017
I enjoyed working for the KCATA for 11 years. I made a lot of good friends there and learned a lot about the public transit industry. I was always proud to be working for an entity that provides a vital service for people needing to get to work, school, doctor appointments, etc.
Pros
Employee recognition, annual health fairs, professional atmosphere.
Cons
No 401k, but they did offer a 457b.
HR Benefits/Insurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 8, 2017
Good people to work with. Entire management structure has changed I believe for the better since I have left. Had there been promotional opportunity I would have stayed
Pros
Structured
Cons
Can be too structured at times
Nice challenging job
Director of Procurement (Current Employee) –  Downtown KCOctober 20, 2014
Co-workers have no desire to make changes for improvements to processes.
Good training room & drivers break room better.
BUS OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  1200 E. 18th street KCMoMay 31, 2014
A good company to work for if you like working different shifts.
Pros
able to drive all of the KCATA buses. Top pay, good
Cons
force overtime
Never a dull day as a bus operator
Bus operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 24, 2013
Reported to work everyday on time which is one of the most important duties of a bus operator. I learned how to operate a forty foot vehical in all kinds of weather and heavy traffic and on various types of roads. Co-workers are generally supportive because we all faced the same type of challenge once we left the garage. Irate passengers were the hardest part of the job but the nice people I met driving the bus made up for the negative ones. I enjoyed being independent and making good money. I also liked the fact that I could change my schedule every three or four months when we bid on new routes. I also like the fact that I got regular wage increases based on the union contract. it was a good place to work.
Pros
sense of independence and a good wage
Cons
dealing with difficult passengers
Customer driven organization, which focuses on service excellence.
Human Resources Clerk, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 14, 2013
A very stable employer, that focuses on customer service excellence.
Pros
pension, free exercise facility and progressive wages.
Cons
limited training and cross-training opportunites.
Meeting diffirent people.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 14, 2012
I enjoy working at KCATA because of the people outsied the job. Always intend on meeting new people. You never know how you can change a person life with just a smile or even an hello. I loved my training class. it was six that started out but four that was left. I was one of the four and the only women there. I came out top in my class! Management was okay at least some of them were. Didn't have time to meet to many people I liked to stay to myself. You cant be cought up in to much stuff on the job, gets you in trouble sometimes. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with time for our stops, but it was quite fun at times. I enjoyed every bit of my 5 years there.