Kansas City Life Insurance Company Careers and Employment
- Company size201 to 500
- Revenue$100M to $500M (USD)
- HeadquartersKansas City, MO
Kansas City Life Insurance Company is a public insurance company established in 1895 and located in Kansas City, Missouri. The company's 1,400 agents market individual life, annuity and group products through agencies located in 48 US states and the District of Columbia.
I was lucky enough to has a decent manager in my department, but there are several managers throughout the company who are managers because they were highly qualified in their previous role, not necessarily the best at managing people. Generally, there is respect among co-workers, but there aren't any initiatives to be inclusive of minorities, and my gut feeling is that it would be subtly discouraged. The leadership is the fourth-generation of the same family, and entirely aloof and separated from the regular employees. They spend lavishly on events and people they directly interact with, but don't meet COLAs with their raises. The work/life balance is fairly good, with most employees leaving the office at 4:15 p.m. With the pandemic, there's no indication they will allow remote work possibilities once everyone returns to the offices, even though we've been successfully doing so from almost two years now. Lots of people from the bottom to the top have been here 30+ years, and have old values that emphasize dedication to the 'work culture', of which none exists. There are no efforts to modernize unless forced into it. The current website was created in 1998, and looks exactly like you'd expect.
What is the best part of working at the company? Interesting and varied work reviewing claims. What is the most stressful part about working at the company? Management causes stress on examiners. Those in power positions have no legal or claim experience but make decisions based upon inconsistent personal criteria. What is the work environment and culture like at the company? Roomy cubicles. No culture to speak of. What is a typical day like for you at the company? Arguing my case with an uneducated manager who is in a management position by way of personal favors.
Outdated culture, philosophy and work/life balance (2 weeks vacation thru 14yrs of employment- is this the 1950's?). Over emphasis on the family-based company.
The schedule is flexible, the compensation is very competitive, your bosses and coworkers care about you. There is always a lot of work to get done, but you feel a sense of accomplishment and achievement in it. I have never encountered a company this accepting and focused on progress.
The technology is outdated. There is poor communication between departments to finalize objectives. The workplace culture is laid back but employees are given the chance to empower themselves.
What would you say about your employer?
People have asked 12 questions about working at Kansas City Life Insurance Company. See the answers, explore popular topics and discover unique insights from Kansas City Life Insurance Company employees.
Insights from 9 Indeed users who have interviewed with Kansas City Life Insurance Company within the last 5 years.
Examples in past work. Examples of my code issues. Examples of past issues with coworkers.
Select a topic to see what people are saying about different issues
- Professional developmentExplore skills and training, pay raises and promotions and management and culture.
- Mission and valuesExplore company values, community, the relevance of the mission and moving on.
- PTO and work-life balanceExplore PTO allowances, work-life balance and flexibility and parental leave.
- Work from homeExplore work from home during COVID-19, remote work support and work-life balance.
- Parents and caregiversExplore parental leave policies and other benefits, company culture and general support.
- Internships and graduate programsExplore support and satisfaction with programs for new and emerging graduates.
- COVID-19 responseExplore leadership during COVID-19, working conditions and WFH support.
- Accessibility, Disability and AccommodationExplore employer support and available accommodations for people with disabilities.
- Kansas City Life Insurance Company