Kansas City Orthopaedic Institute

Working at Kansas City Orthopaedic Institute: 29 Reviews

United States29 reviews

workcaremanagementgreatbenefitratenicepay

Busy Operating schedule

KCOI is a good place to work slower pace than hospital setting but there are times when things are busy. Benefit working there would be the schedule Mon-Fri no wknds no holidays. The workload is all Ortho and can become routine and less challenging. I would recommend this place to someone looking for a slower pace with flexibility.

Pros

Monday - Friday work week no wknds no holidays

Cons

lower pay rate than most hospitals in the area not much room to advance

Best Place!

Environment is welcoming, friendly, and positive. Recommending to all my friends and family to come work here. The hours are perfect for people with small children, families, and hobbies (outside of working).

Kansas City Orthopaedic Institute insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

Terrible

What is the best part of working at the company?Lovely front desk employees, make other people more tolerable, barelyWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Unrealistic expectations to get your job done the way they want it, overworked What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very catty, high school like, lots of cliques and higher ups acting like they are better than youWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Thrown a lot of work that's expected to be done in a day but never possible

Professional and fun place to work

Great company with an outstanding culture! Focused on work life balance. Company is employee and patient focused. Customer service is superb. Employees greet one another, patients and visitors. Everyone understands and lives the mission and vision.

Pros

work-life balance, employee appreciation, 1:2 nurse to patient ratio, great benefits

Cons

haven't experienced any

Great employer

KCOI is a company that cares about their employees just as much as they do their patients. They make it understood that without us as employees, there would not be excellent patient care, so they do their best to make sure their employees are satisfied. They have great benefits, opportunity for advancement, and host employee activities that bring all of us together. They make you feel like family.

Pros

Benefits, workplace culture

Really appreciate their employees. Longevity is possible. Pride in Outstanding Customer Service

I have been with KCOI since 2004. They always take care of their employees. Opportunities for advancement. Customer service outstanding. Room for advancement. Outstanding PTO accumulations.

Pros

Bonus, Health insurance, great PTO

Nice Staff but Toxic Culture

The culture is very bad. There are nice people there and that's what makes it good but it's not a POC-friendly place in terms of culture. HR needs to recruit people that actually care about people of different backgrounds, races, and cultures.

Tiring and unfair workplace

This job has been an emotional roller coaster. For starters, management is terrible and they can't seem to keep someone actually qualified in that position long enough to build a good relationship with employees. They blame almost any and everything on them being "short staffed", but they don't do anything to help them keep the people that know what their doing, they'd rather hire people that are gonna last a few months and then leave. They are very unappreciative of the hard work we as workers do for them ( most of us get paid the same amount as the housekeepers...). This company, and the "managers" only ever focus on the bad that you do and not all of the good, you could bend backwards and work your butt off to be seen or heard, and they still won't care, they'll find something to fuss or complain about. Half of the (line level workers) that work for this place are very unhappy and are only staying around for either our coworkers that make the job a little easier, or their somewhat good benefits. If you're desperate for a job and need a quick source of income, this place would be great, they will hire just about anyone. But if you're looking to actually grow within the company and be happy when you come to work, don't even bother. Once you get in this place your trapped and it's sad how much this company gets away with. Good luck !!P.S. Once our shift is over we all make a run for the door to get away as fast as possible , but unfortunately we have to return the next day and pretend we don't hate our lives there:(

Pros

Pto and SOME coworkers

Cons

Almost everything

Very Busy, Outdated Xray Equipment, Poor Management

Like any job, this one has some pros and some cons. Let’s start with the pros.. The pay is decent compared to a lot of other places. The people that work at this facility (Not including Surgeons) are really nice and friendly. Now for the cons… Management in the radiology department is almost non existent. The manager is really nice and friendly, but will avoid confrontation at all costs. So if you ever have a problem, don’t expect management to back you up. KCOI has the philosophy that if it worked 20 years ago, then it should be fine today. They seem to be unwilling to change with the times. This, once again, is because of management, company wide. The X-ray equipment in 3 of the 4 rooms is outdated, and needs replaced. Each radiology room does between 40 and 60 patients a day. The Surgeons, (who are the ones who run this place) are too cheap to replace the equipment. But, they are the first to complain when they have to wait longer than they think they should for an exam to get done. This is normally because one or more of the rooms are broken down. KCOI is losing staff at an alarming rate, but management is too oblivious to actually do anything about it. Bottom line is that until KCOI makes some major changes at the management level, you would probably be better off working somewhere else. The pay is decent, but not worth it in the long run.

Pros

Decent Pay, Friendly Staff

Cons

Very busy, outdated Xray equipment, Poor management company wide, Unappreciative Doctors

Horrible place to work

Only reason I came to work when I did Is because of the ppl I build a connection with. Management is horrible. They celebrate every month and don’t acknowledge black history month. I have anxiety because of this job. They will fire you for just about anything. Once again management is horrible. The turn over rate is ridiculously high. The place is a joke

Busy Operating schedule

Pros

Monday - Friday work week no wknds no holidays

Cons

lower pay rate than most hospitals in the area not much room to advance

Beautiful Building/Low Pay for Amount of Workload

I enjoyed the location of the hospital, and the nurses and doctors were very nice, friendly and respectful to work with. It was extremely low pay for the responsibilities of the position. Management was a bit behind the times in current office procedures. Hard to get tenure at this place if you aren't one of the clique. Not alot o f job security, there tends to be high turnover. Management is not real trustworthy. It would of been ok, job but not alot can live off that salary and afford benefits.

Pros

Offices, nurses, doctors.

Cons

Management, high turnover.

Very poor management on the non clinical side. Low pay for amount of work and level of responsibility. Toxic environment.

Low pay for level and amount of work. Similar positions in other offices in same industry seem to start out with higher level of pay. Environment can be very stressful due in large part to very poor management. Management does not listen and is often incompetent. They do not care about their employees and some in management are very unprofessional. Generally, a very toxic office with unhappy employees and gossip by workers and managers. Very high turnover rate. Good employees do not stay as they quickly realize they can easily find something much better. This is the non clinical side of company.

Pros

Avg benefits. Nice building.

Cons

Pay. Management. Gossipy and unprofessional. Do not appreciate employees at all.

Easy work, learn a lot

Great place to work, I've learned a lot from being there. Learned different positions. It's a rotating door of new employees. Decent pay raises and bonuses every year.

Pros

Great work load, awesome hours. No weekends.

Cons

well managed and they care about their employees

The best place to work as a nurse if you want excellent patient ratios and quality work environment. Inpatient unit is all RN staff with 2:1 ratio so we are able to take good care of our patients. Self-scheduling is nice with some weekend requirements. Time off may be less than some places and there is the occasional risk of being cancelled due to low census, but it is usually not a problem.

Fast paced enviroment handling multimedical groups

Pretty busy atmosphere. Several different medical groups operate separately under one roof. Each one likes things done differently. Every Dr likes things different procedures things done different. Techs rotate whose positioning pt and exam and while one is setting technique, flipping, cropping, or not cropping your images and computer work. Dr are moody and RN difficult.you burn cb, uplad cd.complain over little things.

Great Benefits and Compensation for Position

This is a great place for someone who enjoys sitting at a desk and doing clerical and receptionist duties. Patient interaction is a must, as well as balancing numerous tasks at once.

Non responsive management

Nearly impossible to get responses from management, when trying to get information via emails or phone calls. Emails go unanswered for days, the same goes when leaving a voice message. This place has a high turnover rate and it doesn't seem to bother this company. Instead of taking care of issues they do what they can to runoff good help. You constantly have to watch your back.

Could care about the back office more

KCOI cares greatly for their patients. They give excellent care there, it's to the back office where the neglect sits. Communication between departments could be better. Company not the worst, just plenty room for improvement.

Pros

Nice work areas

Cons

Lack of communication

Good Organization Poor Infrastructure and Management

KCOI provides excellent orthopeadic care. However, the management is highly controlled and regulated by one individual and micromanagement is the order of the day. Information and decision support systems are out dated and inefficient.

Needs management overhaul

When I started it was a good place to work. Now everything is someone else's fault and the management never seems to be on the little people's side. If we did something wrong let us know, if we didn't don't blame us. Communication is a key lack of a natural resource within the walls.

Pros

Money, company benefits

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kansas City Orthopaedic Institute. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Kansas City Orthopaedic Institute Reviews by Location

Learn about Kansas City Orthopaedic Institute in popular locations

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?