Kansas City Southern Railway Employee Reviews

A waste of time
Conductor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 31, 2019
I quit a job to take this position and I was given a start date in writing. However, the friday before I was set to start I was given a new start date a month from what was initially given. I would not recommend taking a position with Kansas City Southern Lines as they do not represent the very best of railroads.
Just because they give you a start date does not actually mean you will see the start date so I caution resigning from a company when taking the position. If at all possible I would recommend taking a leave of absence from your current job to determine for yourself if this is something you truly desire and also to ensure that you physically start working for the company.
Pros
a job that says you work for the railroad
Cons
no guarantee extra board
Stay Away
Mechanical (Former Employee) –  TXMarch 14, 2019
"Golden Handcuffs". If you understand what that means, you know what I'm saying. I have spent a lot of years chasing the dollar. I finally found it with KCS.

Now, I've come to the realization that money is not worth my mental fortitude.

Do yourself a favor; stay away.
Bad culture
Certified Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMarch 14, 2019
Lowest paid Class 1 railroad for a reason. No family time. On call most of time. Very few yard jobs at home terminal so have to travel to out lying jobs to work.
Pros
Benefits and retirement
Cons
Pay per other railroads, management, hours worked
not for someone who doesnt want to be on call 24 /7
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMarch 13, 2019
spent 5 years with this company got hurt on the job and was forced to retire for pennies managment only cares about their bottom line not the workers
Pros
get to work out doors
Cons
on call 24/7 management will hang youbout to dry always
Thorough Review
Conductor Trainee (Current Employee) –  LouisianaFebruary 17, 2019
Here to answer all your questions. I’m a conductor trainee. Your training will be in Shreveport, depending on where your from, if you’re not from laredo or Kansas City, your training pay will be $161.00 a day. Laredo and Kansas City get around $185 a day. During training your paid $20 a day for your meals. Mileage is based off miles you drove multiplied by the IRS rate for gas which is .545 now. You will be in class from 8 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.. no they don’t feed you lunch. Only the first two days they will. They pay for your hotel and provide you with all of your PPE. You will pay half cost for boots which will be taken out of two checks. $40 each check. Classroom training schedule is two weeks in Shreveport, 6 weeks OJT at home terminal where you were hired, 2 weeks back in Shreveport, 6 weeks OJT at home terminal where hired. After that, you can choose to mark up. Must be a conductor a minimum of two years before becoming an engineer. Job is very easy. Biggest tip I can give you is BE SAFE and don’t tear these people’s stuff up. Management is great and everyone is here to help you out. Study for your conductor exam because it is not open book. Oh and learn this rule now... “GCOR 6.27” you will have to memorize this before passing the class. I’m very fortunate to be hired by Kansas City Southern.. I’ve never felt cared for more by another company. All these people saying “oh you’ll never have a home life” is not true, if you work a road job then you’ll be home less than what a guy with a yard job is. PAY DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU WORK. No set salary or hourly wage. KCS has a non  more... guaranteed extra board which means if you don’t work, you’re not paid. But... as soon as you step foot on a job you’re automatically paid 8 hour; that is of course you don’t go home early due to your own personal problems. That being said, you can start work at 9 A.M. get off at 1 P.M. and still be paid 8 hours. Again. Be safe and don’t tear these people’s stuff up. GCOR 6.27!!!!  less
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Union.
Cons
Non Guaranteed Extra Board, On call.
Worst company i've ever worked for.
Locomotive Machinist (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 7, 2018
Terrible management. Worst craftsmen in the shop before they went in the office, now they're tyrannical. Stupid rules implicated all the time. Will be 15 or more years before you get weekends off with your family. People are quitting left and right. Not worth it.
Pros
Cant think of any.
Cons
Too numerous to count.
if you only care about money then this is the job for you
Conductor/Switchman (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LASeptember 30, 2018
if all you care about is money then this is the job for you. you will have no life outside of work, and dont think that the company cares. you are literally just a number, and they even tell you that in training. you will get fired (railroad term for suspended) for things that other people did, because as a conductor its your job to make sure they follow the rules. and you better have fired insurance. you WILL get laid off, you WILL get fired, and you WILL get relocated. kiss your family goodbye because you will rarely see them. if you are a person that is just wrapped up in making the most money possible and dont care what sacrifices come with it, then you will do great.
Pros
high paid with no degree required
Cons
lay offs, suspension, relocation, no time for family, no advancement, no job security, on call 24/7, very high paycheck deductions
Fun working as a locomotive engineer
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJuly 9, 2018
Worked as a locomotive engineer running a train with bulk freight and cargo back and forward to Jackson, Ms. Responsible for safe operations and handling of hazardous materials.
Productive Workplace
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJune 11, 2018
Its like any job out there, it has its ups and down but I really enjoy working for the company. Fast paced and always something to do. I currently work in the yard but it's been good.
Railroad
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 17, 2018
It's the railroad, 24/7 365 on call, all weather conditions, constantly operation/safety testing, no schedule on movement of trains, rest can get stretched thin.
Pros
money, vacation, retirement
Cons
time away from family, money, rest
Contract
Communications and Radio Frequency (RF) Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 6, 2018
The company will release you after their work is completed.

I have been providing network designs throughout the United States to Class 1 railroads for the Positive Train Control (PTC) mandate.
Terrible
Conductor/Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 19, 2018
KCS doesn't honor agreements and therefore doesn't pay as well as other Class 1 railroads. A UP or BNSF conductor/engineer will easily make 20-30k more per year for the same mileage. Plus you probably wont work quite as much. You will give up your life if you work the road with KCS. Terrible approach to employees. Threats, intimidation and being sneaky and unfair are the daily norm. I've spoken to many employees far higher than me and its typically the same as far as how they treat people.
Pros
Ok money, benefits, great retirement if you can survive 30+ years, waving at little kids like your a rockstar(best part of the job)
Cons
Ridiculous management. Zero leadership. Huge amounts paid in taxes, dues, benefits and retirement.
Couldn't be better
Sales & Marketing (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 12, 2018
Didn't intend to leave and should have stayed. They've done well and reward their employees as they should. Some issues still need to be worked on but would highly recommend this railroad.
Its an adventure to say the least.
Conductor/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJanuary 31, 2018
I am a train conductor out of Shreveport Louisiana the pay is great the benefits are excellent but you will work a lot of hours and be away from home the majority of the time. For me the pay is worth the sacrifice at this point of my life because where else can you go and work and make 30 plus dollars an hour with no experience? That old saying too many chiefs and not enough Indians applies with this industry I have an average of 5 managers everyday telling me what to do and nobody knows what the other managers are doing. So as long as you have thick skin and take criticism be able to work by yourself and make decisions alone in this job is for you!
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Micro managing, 85% travel
Poor planning
Operator (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, TXDecember 18, 2017
Poor planning of assigned work. Materials not available to complete projects. Union based employees were difficult to work with. Management inefficiencies.
Pros
health, dental, railroad retirement
Cons
travel
Good company
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 31, 2017
Worked for this company a long time and feel that they take care of their employees.Best part about the RR is that they are not going anywhere. They have been around 125 years.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
On Call
Boring
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 5, 2017
Not enough work to do. Very slow paced. Tried to increase my workload by communicating with management, which made an effort to help, but still work was very slow paced and boring, well below my skill level.
It was a job to take care of family.
Manager yard switch maintainer (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSSeptember 16, 2017
Good company to work for with great play and excellent retirement. I am on call so I had to be flexible and at the same time have good time management.
Saforeman (Former Employee) –  Sallisaw, OKSeptember 6, 2017
Exellent place to work great bennifits, everyday supervisors are great to work for upper management not so much,I would definitely go back if given the opportunity
Pros
Great benefits, union job
Cons
Cut throat environment
overall work summary
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAAugust 24, 2017
Great job to have. Not a good balance between work and personal life. Work everyday with no days off and always away from family. The job was good and work was not hard

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kansas City Southern Railway. Our community is ready to answer.