Kansas Department of Revenue Employee Reviews

Great staff
Driver’s License Examiner (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 31, 2019
Liked the staff and supervisor. Great environment. Can be hectic if the kids are out of school. Obviously what office you go to may differ also. Customer service skills are a must.
Pros
State job
Cons
Starting pay is very low.
Great job for high school student
Underage Cooperating Individual (Former Employee) –  KansasMay 20, 2019
Good for high school students who are looking for an easy job, that always brings new experiences. I built a great rapport with my inspector, and that was the only experience I had with higher management.
Generally easy going.
Driver License Examiner (Current Employee) –  Derby, KSApril 3, 2019
The work is mostly repetitive. Its comparable to working at a convenience store. It can get busy very quickly or it can not be busy. We provide customer service similar to that of a fast food worker taking orders at a counter. The work doesn't extend beyond the work day which is great.
Pros
One hour lunch break
Cons
Slacker coworkers
Best Job I Ever Had
Driver's License Examiner (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 2, 2019
Not a difficult job, but more to it than many people might realize. Expectations and standards are very high, and formal training is often delayed. For example, I was sent directly from signing paperwork into a busy office with NO training whatsoever. I also was not fully aware of how I was being evaluated, and although my supervisor let me know what areas I needed improvement, it was unfortunately too late to bring myself up to the speed and accuracy required by the State and I was let go. I would suggest anyone to make sure they understand exactly how they will be evaluated, so they do not make the same mistake I did. This job is also not for anyone who does not like to work with the public and who might have difficulty in remaining calm and pleasant even when faced with angry or argumentative customers. On the other hand, a great deal of tact is required when needing to cut off overly chatty customers in person or over the phone because you ARE being timed even if the office is not busy, and certain questions cannot be adequately answered in one or two sentences over the phone. You WILL be required to give driving exams to new and inexperienced drivers, as well as those seeking re-certification (people from other countries, people who lost their licenses, etc). On the other hand, the particular office I worked was a very warm, friendly and supporting environment.
Pros
No weekends, no nights, full benefits, paid holidays off, pleasant work staff and great management
Cons
Most training is on the job, so certain situations may be hit or miss; website crashes
Had to be aware of business processes and how Datacap worked
BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Wausa, WI and Topeka,KSDecember 24, 2018
This job demands long hours and hard work for users to use Datacap. Required understanding of Datacap and how it should work. Understand users how they would use Datacap.
Kdor
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 25, 2018
The Kansas department of revenue has been a great employer for me as a working student. the managers there are appropriate and considerate to the lives of their employees.
Good
State Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Topeka KSSeptember 27, 2018
Review various documents associated with an audit. Write audit reports, answer taxability questions. Communicate with other areas of Revenue. Work daily on computer and phones
Job requirements included dealing with all kinds of people
Audit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSSeptember 18, 2018
Typical Day: Review work of subordinates; Manage team functions such as schedules, work assignments; meetings with upper management.
Learned how to manage an office in an efficient manner
Management changed when administration (Governor) changed
Workplace was made up of single cubicles. Flex time was available with generous leave time available.
Hardest part of job was the difficult taxpayers we had to sometimes deal with.
Most enjoyable part of job was the personal connections I made with many people over the years
Pros
Fair pay and benefits. Job Security
Cons
Sometimes very difficult people to deal with
great
Underage Cooperating Individual (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 30, 2018
really great, They would come pick me up at my house, drive me two or three hours away. They would send me in to try to buy cigarettes and beer from shops for a few hours, break for lunch, fill out reports and drive home. Hardest part of the job was getting people in trouble for not doing their jobs correctly.
Poor culture
Research Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 26, 2018
The department use to be a much They have made a lot of changes with the new administration that are not good for employees or the general public. Outsourcing of jobs.
Pros
Ability to work independently
Cons
Current culture and outsourcing of jobs
I no longer work there.
Collections Manager (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 12, 2018
Any answers I provided would no longer be correct as organizational changes have occurred. As a state employee you used to be valued for your expertise, this is no longer the case.
Not much personality here
Executive Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 17, 2018
Typical day at work is waiting until I am needed to schedule something. Check conference room and set up. Process paperwork, correspondence, emails, fax. There is lack of motivation here.
It was not a good place to wor at all.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMarch 17, 2018
no talking, always had someone saying heads down and work..Unless you were one of the in crowd you were treated very badly..I was wrote up for being too happy..
Pros
Cons
the structure of the state
Fast-Paced environment and a lot of multitaking
Revenue Customer Rep Senior (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSFebruary 11, 2018
I worked for medical vision watch consist of taking 20-30 calls a day.

I was crossed trained in 3 different platforms.

The culture was very team oriented.

Taking back to back calls with no in between time.

Health insurance, paid vacation, and nice co-workers.
Pros
Health care and paid vacation
Cons
Short breaks
Kansas Dept of Revenue
Customer Service Senior Rep (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 9, 2018
KDOR is a great place to work, the only reason I am leaving is because I have to relocate due to a family member being ill. If that was not the case I can clearly see myself retiring from here.
Very stressful, low pay
Public Service Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 20, 2017
Low pay, poor management, stressful, and chaotic. Dealt with angry public 99% of the time. High turnover rate and low motivation of employees to do a good job.
Excellent benefits with high work expectations
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSSeptember 13, 2017
Loved the benefits and advancement possibilities while remaining
aware of the expectations that management insisted upon every day.My supervisors were all committed and supportive to the work that we were expected to perform.
Change Management
Public Service Executive I (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSAugust 22, 2017
Department goes through a lot of change and have had high turn over in leadership. Government positions are unique since the legislature makes the laws we are required to administer.
Pros
Some good people to work with.
Cons
Benefits continue to decline.
Nice place to work, but low pay and no advancement
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMay 6, 2017
Its a good place to work and the people are friendly and management is ok. Their is no chance for raises and advancement is very limited. You basically have to wait for a job to open to apply for to advance and/or get a raise as they don't promote or give raises to existing positions. Upper levels of management don't really seem to embrace a culture of success and want to outsource all the work and projects the agency has. As an IT shop they don't keep up with current norms and development approaches and is no focus on continuous education, certifications, current skill sets. If your looking to coast, this is the place for you......
Pros
Interesting work, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Low pay no advancement no support from managment
Love the atmosphere
Tax Enforcement Agent (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 16, 2017
My career with KDOR is outstanding! Love working with and for the people of Kansas. Hardest part of the job is the responsibility involved in the enforcement of collections of delinquent taxes. The best part of the job is the freedom of action and minimal oversight, great for a self starter!
Pros
Freedom of action
Cons
Pay, Political Based management