Kaplan

Kaplan insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

I enjoyed my experience with Kaplan in that I was able to in process students and assist where needed. I felt as though I was making a difference seeing people start on a need journey in their lives.

Flexible, excellent coworkers, sense of accomplishment in the classroom

Many aspects of Kaplan (the students, management, teachers) make this job worth it. Having the flexibility in the classroom to supplement Kaplan's curriculum allows teachers to tailor the material to the specific learning needs of the students. Management and fellow teachers are very supportive!

A flexible place to work

I have enjoyed teaching for Kaplan--it provides maximum flexibility if you are raising a family. Covid wiped out in-person classes so all of the teaching is done remotely up until now.

Good workplace, but doesn't offer enough hours per teacher

Taught English with Kaplan on and off for 3 years. I enjoyed it. My only complaint is that few teachers are given full-time opportunities, so teachers have to work at other schools at the same time, making them more tired for class. If teachers could be given the opportunity to be full-time, teaching multiple classes of one ESL level, it would be great.

Pros

Fun teaching environment, could support materials

Cons

Limited hours, requiring teachers to get other jobs

Hyvä paikka työskennellä, mahtavat pomot ja hyvät työkaverit

Oli helppo tulla kaikkien kanssa toimeen. Sain mahdollisuuden tehdä muita töitä kuten mennä komennukselle Saudi Arabiaan. Opettajille järjestettiin usein ohjelmaa ja tarjottiin virvokkeita. San Diegon Kaplanissa oli erinomainen johto jotka olivat aina auttavaisia ja tukevia sekä kannustivat opiskelemaan ja oppimaan uutta.

Pros

Joustavuus, joskus ilmaiset lounaat

Cons

Koulu on keskustassa ja parkki oli kallis

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Poor management

Lack of supplies, training and positive reinforcement. Lack of direction from program director. Each class was way too packed with students. Lab was never organized or fully equipped with instruments to teach students correctly.

Pros

Able to teach new studemts from my experience

Cons

Short breaks. Late work hrs. Poor management

Not traditional advising

Job is phone sales, not academic advising. Little time off. Takes more than 5 years to earn just a day of vacation per month. Pay is good but high turnover . Look elsewhere.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Little vacation time

Helpful and fun

great place to learn. the management is good, but they could work on staying on the same page. Overall fun atmosphere to work in. Lots of free food lol

Enjoyable workplace

I enjoyed my time at Kaplan International. I managed digital marketing and social media strategy for 22 US Kaplan International Centers. I was allowed to grow and learn. I had great relationships with the center leads and my coworkers.

Pros

Travel to collaborate with London team

Cons

Office location was difficult to get to (DTLA)

Good work environment

Good place to work. Great co-workers. Benefits and wage great for area. Would recommend to others. Many little extras, chair massages, healthy snacks.

Pros

Lots, benefits, co-workers, pay

Fun place to work

Great place to work but few opportunities for full-time employment. They prefer to hire instructors as per-time or contract. Otherwise I worked with some great people there.

There are better jobs out there

Kaplan only sees students as revenue. There’s always this attitude of getting more enrollments and harassing students till they apply. Managers tend to be professional email pushers and will tell you what to do but cannot actually do the job or understand what you do. There’s no mentorship or advancement and admissions is basically just sales so expect to be chained to the computer all day.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

Clueless leaders, corporate greed, and weird company culture

Relaxed atmosphere

I initially liked working at Kaplan Test Prep as a Student Concierge. It takes a lot to change my view on a company. Kaplan itself is AMAZING. They help a lot of students and professionals with their products. Management in 2017 was not what I expected. No communication among managers and different information is given to employees. My personal experience is echoed by many before me and after me. The company has gone through many changes since then so I am sure that anyone looking to work there will have a very different experience than many of us.

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Management communication (lacking)

Good enviroment

Easy work for low pay. Good benefits and great co-workers. Available shifts outside of 9-5pm and weekends. Worked with full timers and part timers and very smart tutors who didnt get enough tutoring hours.

Few opportunities for work

There weren't enough job opportunities, especially after the switch to virtual classes after covid. Lots of management changes and restructuring as well. Teaching classes was fun and they provide great materials.

Cons

Only get paid minimum wage for preparation time

Great Job for College students

This Job is great for college students it's very flexible and very well compensated, the only downside is that with flexibility also comes the chances that at time you might not really have work to do. Management is great and supportive, they are there to help you succeed.

Diverse, very friendly and well organized

Team work, working with the entire world (each agent had a region to cover). Fun place to work, but serious business, with responsibility. Felling like making a difference for the students who came from all over the world to learn English with us. It was a bit difficult to cover the amount of work during summer, when the company’s offer peaked.

Cutting Cost at Everyone's Expense

I was a part time teacher for many years at this company and watched as more and more full time faculty were fired so they could save money. Now there are no full time teachers, little student support, and the people making decisions are completely incompetent. Everyone that I worked with there has fled, including me, to get better more stable improvement. Eventually they will cut enough cost to not exist as a company any more.

Pros

flexible work hours

Cons

no job security, they let management fail up

Very chaotic culture with the reorganizations

They reorganized and then restructured shortly after. There was no job security throughout the process or after. The job itself was okay if you wanted to be in the role you were hired in. For me, it was the wrong fit. The co-workers were mostly fantastic and really helped you to learn the role. However I did not like the position as it was the wrong role for me.

Pros

Great co-workers and free gym.

Cons

Culture. Very restrictive.

Very great colleagues, but not a lot of security

Things might have gotten better since I left, but job security was always an issue there. They had a great product and cared about their students, and excellent people to work with and under. Much of the job insecurity was due to the overall economy and changes in the market place to go to graduate or medical, law schools, etc.

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

Job security

Great workplace, great pay, excellent support system for instructor roles

It's really a great place to work, especially for university students. All instructors are well compensated for everything including lesson planning and administrative work to actual teaching time. Lots of opportunities to take on additional hours/roles and a fantastic support system for instructors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kaplan. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

3.4Fairygodboss Score

71%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

43%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss