KAR Auction Services Employee Reviews

Management will throw you under the bus so fast
tech 2 (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 13, 2018
Worked here for 3 months, they waited 3 months for me to come into that job (was in school) moved to vegas (from CA) and hated it so much I left. your just a number
Started out great then one take away after the next
Automotive Field manager (Former Employee) –  USADecember 9, 2018
Started out with the company 4 years ago after my current company was bought out by Kar. The first year was great, was finally happy and was able to support my family and have security. I was working long days and covering a multi state area performing Automotive inspections. I had plenty of opportunity to make great money. I was just under 80k for the year. Things after that went down hill fast, I maintained the same amount of work but the pay structure dropped. I dropped down to just under 50k a year and have been there since. The company is more concerned about the stock holders and buying new companies, then the employees that helped get them there. The job itself was easy if you know vehicles and how to handle a computer. In my time with KAr only met two other employees. Meetings are very rare and it's over the phone. The bosses and office staff are changed every 6 months to a year. So if you don't like the boss, no need to worry they dont stay long. If you get injured at work or outside you better plan to be harrassed to go back even if you are not medically cleared. Expect alot of job postings from this company. All show no go!

The vehicle reimbursement program is horrible as well. They expect you to drive a car under two years old and put 40 to 80k miles on a year. But they will give you 400 a month to cover it. oh that covers gas and insurance. And you better have the best coverage. Don't be late paying it either!

The inspection equipment is nice but plan on the software always being down. You can spend 3 hours a week on tech support.
Pros
Good amount of vacation time
Cons
The shareholders are the first priority!
Bad Management
IT Field System Administrator (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARDecember 9, 2018
bad company to work with, no advancement.
They dont apreciate the hard work that all employees do.
Management push the employees to the limit, and dont promote creativity and care.
Multi-tasking fast paced environment
Dealer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILDecember 7, 2018
Multi-taking fast paced environment. Interacting with customers on a daily basis. Fun environment and personal. Many tasks to learn and apply. Potential for advancement.
Overall Good Company
Sr. Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsDecember 5, 2018
KAR Auction Services overall is great place to work. They maintain a great company culture. and I believe they strive to hire the best talent, and surround their workers with training and support.
Pros
Great work culture, awesome work life balance
Cons
constantly changing pay plans, not great for stability
Good company to work for
Accounts Receivable/Floor Plan Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manville, NJNovember 28, 2018
Work here the job was enjoyable worked with and met people from all walks to life from salesmen to car carrier driver. This made the job very interesting. Learned quite a bit about the car industry and finance.
Pros
room for growth with the company
Cons
employment ended up being short term
Management is horrible!!!!!!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaNovember 25, 2018
From branch level to supervisors and HR the management does not care about employees! Supervisors and HR have a out of sight out of mind mentality when is comes to branch managers and refuse to deal with any problems at the branch!
Cons
Managament
Somewhat stressful place to work.
Dealer Services Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Belton, MONovember 19, 2018
Typically there were certain tasks which needed to be done and I worked on the ones that became mine somewhat by default because certain employees preferred doing other tasks and claimed them as their own. Some of my tasks I performed helped another employee be freed up to work on more complicated and detailed tasks. I felt there were other things I could have learned given the opportunity and repetition. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I felt I was making a helpful impact on other's work. The hardest part of the job was that I had no previous experience in the car business and I found it difficult to be accepted in that atmosphere.
Pros
Compacted schedules, because we ate lunch while we worked.
Cons
The insurance was rather expensive. A compacted schedule was difficult at the same time.
Good to work
Car inspector (Current Employee) –  Framingham maNovember 13, 2018
Inspecting car is a good job to do. I have to make sure to do a good job with customers cars and make them happy with the job we do. I would eecommend this job.
Fast Paced work
Title Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 13, 2018
I loved working for KAR. Best job i have ever had. All employees were super helpful when i was hired on. Everyone worked so well together and we knew how to make the work day fun!
Autonomy, Job is judged by daily quantity of visits, not quality
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Home BasedNovember 12, 2018
For what they sell, they are a good company. Not good at taking care of their employees. Benefits have gotten too expensive to afford on the minimal salary. Annual salary increases are nearly nonexistent and are a small fraction of the amount of the increase in the cost of our benefits.
Daily / weekly performance is judged on quantity of visits, not quality of those visits.
Pay plan has changed annually which makes it very difficult to maximize the sweet spots in the commission structure.
This job is about building relationships and solution selling and creative thinking. I have been able to create some new, long term relationships with my customers.
Pros
Uncapped commission, good benefits, good claims policies, learned new skills
Cons
Expensive benefits, very small annual increases, continue to change the payplan (annually), Major job responsibilities are now different than those I was hired to do.
Automotive industry
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CANovember 10, 2018
KAR is an automotive industry, very fast pace environment, various of job opportunity in different departments. People are great to work with and great learning experience.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Ability for Advancement very difficulit
Fun environment, office setting
Inside Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INNovember 2, 2018
Was taught how to operate transportation for ADESA KAR Auctions,
Time management was essential as I was running three auctions. Management was always very helpful, and taught new processes. Was a very open culture, made friends easily with this job. All the employees seemed to be team players.
Pros
Breaks, and lunches taken at our convenience
Cons
Hour long lunches
Overall a good company with good intent.
Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaOctober 31, 2018
The intent for work/life balance is there. Their intent is to value their employees, however there are times that this is not executed properly. There are many moving parts to the positions that cannot be trained positioning the employee in a more sink or swim learn on the fly environment. There are multiple programs used daily which requires lots of back and forth and double input of information. If they could slim down the amount of systems to access and the amount of moving pieces that each task takes, the job would be more enjoyable.
Great place to work.
Lot Coordinator-Dealer Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2018
I worked at Adesa Houston for about 2 years before being offered a job closer to home for better pay. Its a great place to work and have nothing bad to say about it.
Stay Away if you don't like having a beat down sales call every Friday w/ the Director and District Mgr's
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 17, 2018
If your looking for a long term career this is not the place. FHAB is the core values of this company.
F-Fun
H-Honest
A-Accountable
B-Brave

A company that does not practice what they preach. RUN!!
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
It was a clean work environment, fast paced with a great staff.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 16, 2018
I enjoyed my time here, I feel like I was really able to polish my skills and increase my value as an employee. The people are great and the technology is outstanding.
Decent company to work for
Sales Consultant West & Middle Tennessee (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 15, 2018
Decent company to work for. EBTA is the main focus for leadership. Many different businesses within parent company that function differently and many times are given the same directions for executing business models even if they don’t work.
promotions aren't merit based. no severance packages
National Damage Appraisal Instructor (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INOctober 15, 2018
Was at KAR for 8 years. After 8 years I was told my job was being eliminated in 9 days. When 9 days was up was not giving 1 penny of severance package after being told my job was being eliminated through no fault of my own. Promotions are not merit based and are not based on seniority. They are based on political alliances in the company and the hiring managers instincts vs logic. Again, logic, fairness, time with the company and pass performances are not factors in promotion with this company.
Pros
nationwide
Cons
they don't care about long term employees
Great Leadership
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 12, 2018
While this company has the leadership to surpass expectations that leadership is constantly second guessed by individuals that surpassed them through contacts rather than merit.
Pros
Great Employees
Cons
Horrible Employee Merit system

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KAR Auction Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight