KAR Auction Services Employee Reviews

Stay Away if you don't like having a beat down sales call every Friday w/ the Director and District Mgr's
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 17, 2018
If your looking for a long term career this is not the place. FHAB is the core values of this company.
F-Fun
H-Honest
A-Accountable
B-Brave

A company that does not practice what they preach. RUN!!
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
It was a clean work environment, fast paced with a great staff.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZOctober 16, 2018
I enjoyed my time here, I feel like I was really able to polish my skills and increase my value as an employee. The people are great and the technology is outstanding.
Decent company to work for
Sales Consultant West & Middle Tennessee (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 15, 2018
Decent company to work for. EBTA is the main focus for leadership. Many different businesses within parent company that function differently and many times are given the same directions for executing business models even if they don’t work.
promotions aren't merit based. no severance packages
National Damage Appraisal Instructor (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INOctober 15, 2018
Was at KAR for 8 years. After 8 years I was told my job was being eliminated in 9 days. When 9 days was up was not giving 1 penny of severance package after being told my job was being eliminated through no fault of my own. Promotions are not merit based and are not based on seniority. They are based on political alliances in the company and the hiring managers instincts vs logic. Again, logic, fairness, time with the company and pass performances are not factors in promotion with this company.
Pros
nationwide
Cons
they don't care about long term employees
Great Leadership
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 12, 2018
While this company has the leadership to surpass expectations that leadership is constantly second guessed by individuals that surpassed them through contacts rather than merit.
Pros
Great Employees
Cons
Horrible Employee Merit system
Plenty of PTO but horrible management
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXOctober 10, 2018
Management is poor and displays favoritism to employees. Management also created a hostile work environment and was unapproachable due to mood swings. Don't expect to get to know this company as it relies on email to inform you of any changes of direction. Morale very low. Transporters and buyers were great. PTO is plenty and you'll want to use it to get away from the environment there. Medical insurance not the best and neither is the vision.
Pros
Pto
Cons
This branch of the company needs direction
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Orwigsburg, PAOctober 4, 2018
Days in the PWI office are long, work is tedious, but not difficult. Management is trying, but is severely short handed, misplaced and lacking direction. The new president has his work ahead cut out for him. The most enjoyable part of the job is the employee events & meals.
Pros
Company paid events/ meals. PTO, paid holidays & volunteer time.
Cons
Little to no advancement opportunity. Terrible healthcare options.
KAR Auto-Auction
Auto Auction- Car detailer (Former Employee) –  Wood Village, OROctober 2, 2018
My first day was good; everyone was nice to me and everyone wanted to help me. I would ask questions and they would get answered right away. 2 months later everything started to change. Lazy workers didn't get in trouble. If I stopped for a second I would get yelled at but the lazy worker. I tried talking to the manager about it and he never did anything about it. Poor management was clearly there. They wonder why people keep quitting. Schedule was never the same. Manager said what time to come in and what time we got off. Lunches were was supposed to be 1 hour, but he would always say 30 mins.
Pros
Met some great people. Weekly pay.
Cons
Long hours, Low pay. Poor management
KAR is pretty good
DEALER SERVICES SPECIALIST II (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INSeptember 29, 2018
I've been with KAR for about 2 years. There has been a bit of turnover where I am. The President of the company seems to be concerned with the employees so that's nice. I feel like the benefits should be better for a company this size but what can you do. Politics play a huge part in where you go in this company.
No advancement potential
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INSeptember 26, 2018
For company that loves to promote internal growth and advancement, they sure love to lead current employees on, providing little to no updates on internal applications, only to hire external candidates.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
lack of advancement and serious communication issues
Excellent Place To Work
Senior Account Specialist - Impounds (Team Lead) (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 22, 2018
KAR Auction Services is the best company I've ever worked for. I've been here almost 5 years and currently in a supervisory position. KAR offers plenty of training and career coaching. They always work to promote from within.
Pros
Compensation. Culture. Support.
Cons
A lot of hours.
Please Do not waste your time
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2018
One of the worst company i have ever worked for. Too much nepotism. Bad territory management, no future growth options. They will set you up for failure. Auction process is interesting but this company has way to many issues internally. Employees quitting right and left. No proper training, so sink or swim. I do not recommend anybody to join this company, in any territory nationally.
Pros
good customer service, take care of their clients on the business side
Cons
very difficult with internal operations, not enough money, politics
Accounting/ Specialty Department
Accounting/Specialty Department (Former Employee) –  Franklin, OHSeptember 17, 2018
The workplace was very laid back but at the same time fast- paced. I always had something to do. I was able to learn a lot more about how the auctions worked.
Poor pay, too much time in your car and stressful.
Field Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2018
Took this job cuz I thought it'd be easy-ish money. So wasn't. There's way too much time spent driving, the appointments and where they have you drive make no sense, was told I'd have a small territory but ended up driving sometimes 80 miles round trip for one appointment which would have been Ok but it is during the peak commute time so took like 2 hours to go one way. Management isn't totally upfront about what you'll be making, benefits are bad, medical is useless (high deductible plans). People drop out of this job like crazy, few people stay, they are always hiring. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting home. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the rude, lessees and their dirty vehicle. Typical day at work is trying to get as many inspections done as you can, which means you can't really take the time you should to thoroughly check out each car otherwise you won't make your daily quota nor your commission. It's a lot harder of a job than they make it out to be.. Can't recommend.
Pros
Get to be outside.
Cons
Barely get time for a lunch break.
stressful
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 12, 2018
fast paced and stressful. been in this industry for 25 years and this is typical. upper management was great. benefits are wonderful. loved my job and would continue to work at kar in a different sister company.
.no room for growth
VEHICLE CONDITIONS REPORTER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2018
I have been at this company for 5 years with no incentive or pay increase. I applied for a position within the company I am well qualified for and was turned down because of where I live
Nice place to work.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hutchins, TXSeptember 6, 2018
Driving all kinds of motor vehicles in the lot.
Meeting new people every day.
Being in different lanes every day.
Close to home.
Above average pay.
Management is friendly.
Good company to work for
Title Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 3, 2018
This a good company to work for that gives decent opportunity for advancement. It is a fun fast paced atmosphere that encourages a positive work environment.
Pros
Great Company
Cons
Low wages
Company In Transition
Systems Engineer\VMware Admin\Network Admin (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INSeptember 2, 2018
Company in transition. The pay is good and the benefits are average to slightly above average. Most leadership in the IT department have recently been replaced with former Interactive Intelligence\Genesys people. While the vision doesn't appear to be a bad one the new leadership has struggled to communicate to existing staff. They have hired a significant number of former Interactive people and there is a definite clique atmosphere that has formed.
Pros
Pay and Work Flexibility
Cons
Poor Management\No Communication, Work Live Balance Can Be Challenging
Ultimately, a great place to work
FILE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 26, 2018
I love working at Adesa. The people there are incredible and there is so much room for upward movement, and they have a great benefits package. I would highly recommend working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KAR Auction Services. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight