Karmanos Cancer Institute Employee Reviews

A great place to work
Oncology care associate (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 18, 2018
Karmanons is a great place to work they are the highest company for pay for CNA they will allow you to work unlimited hours good job, people are willing to help you managers are fair.
Pros
the pay rate
Cons
too many female working there
Great workplace to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 10, 2018
Great place to work in Detroit. Highly recommend this place for anyone wanting to learn research. Benefits were phenomenal including tuition reimbursement
high stress, no life balance,
Np phase 1 clinical trails (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 8, 2018
no training but scrutinized for any error. don't like having to write bad things about a company. It was not a pleasant place to work or I wouldn't be looking for a new job
Good working environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 15, 2018
All people here are friendly, but some labs are a bit isolated from others. For research, core service is ok but no discount for institute members. Benefit is good.
Definitely a place I wouldn't work for again
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 14, 2018
The company is foul and they lie every year about giving employees raises. And never give people in the company to advance. They are very sneaky and conniving
Always a busy work place. A very team orientated job.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48201January 29, 2018
The work assignments were balanced equally. The management would allow for personnal time if needed. Overtime work was always offered. The rotation of job assignments wasvery flexable.
Pros
If you would agree to overtime you would be given the next day off
Cons
Lunch time could have been a little longer.
Work place that treats you like family
Patient Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 29, 2018
I loved the environment and my fellow employees. Some days where fast pace some days we had a lot of down time me myself worked several departments so I didn't have to stay in one place all day.
Nice place to work
Patient Service Representative (PSR) (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 18, 2018
On a typical day at Karmanos, I would schedule at least 10 patient's surgeries, chemotherapy, and bone marrow transplants. I would contact the insurance companies and get approval, and contact the patient with all the information they needed when they checked into the hospital. The management staff changed often, it was hard to really get to know your manager because they changed so frequently. The hardest part of my job was watching people die daily for cancer related illnesses. I would develop relationships with some patients because they were in the hospital for weeks at a time. I enjoyed working with my team, and meeting new people often.
Do not work here
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 5, 2018
Pharmacy compensation is sooo low. Not competitive at all! Staffing is so short that the current technicians are over worked. Higher up management is so poor at communicating. They really don’t care about how and why patient care is being effected negatively. The company was bought out now you no longer get paid for holidays if you don’t work. Working here just sucks now!
Pros
Good peers
Cons
Everything other then having great peers
Ok place to work
Clinical Liaison (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 26, 2017
It's ok. The benefits could be better. They don't give raises frequently. The management staff works well with scheduling . I would consider staying if they paid more.
Management is supportive to employees.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 2, 2017
The managing staff and fellow employees, regardless of position and rank are supportive of one another in delivering excellent patient care. I was provided comprehensive training in the corporation and specific unit responsibilities including a preceptor who acclimated me to my specific role and confirmed through a detailed check list of skills over a 10 week period.
Lots of support for nurses
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 25, 2017
Wonderful place to work, good culture and team work, managers are top notch, really support staff. They utilize primary nursing which is wonderful for both staff and patients.
good management with emphasis on patient care
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lapeer, MIAugust 22, 2017
Good management and amazing nurses, wonderful patient care, beautiful environment, rewarding, good benefits, flexible hours, family oriented, philanthropic.
Great place to work!
Cancer Registrar (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48201August 7, 2017
Incredibly supportive culture. Atmosphere is fantastic and team-friendly. Research arm of the organization is strong.
While the McLaren health system has recently acquired KCC, the "aftermath" has not been horrible. The culture remains positive and pro-patient, pro-employee. Best place I've ever worked.
Pros
Executive mgmt is forthcoming with updates
Cons
Pay isn't as high as other hospitals in the area.
JCAHO Accredited. Excellent Specialists. Proud to be a part of a great interprofessional team.
Full Time Staff Nurse, Phase I Clinical Trials (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 4, 2017
An astute facility populated with cancer experts, caring staff and management, and patient care coordinators. All regulatory and audit aspects are followed and staff input to increase better patient outcomes is accepted and acknowledged.
Pros
Excellent heirarchy of communication for all aspects of work both personal and work related.
Cons
Benefits cut for employees, In the past was able to pay for 100% coverage. Reduced to only 90% coverage.
Awful poisonous place
Mammographer/X-Ray technologist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 31, 2017
Poison this place is poison stay away. They keep cutting & making you do more and more work while others can sit on their butts and no one says a word.
Pros
Different patient cultures
Cons
Not enough staff
Loved it!
Patient Safety Associate (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 12, 2017
Learned a lot working as a sitter here. The staff was generally nice and I was exposed to a lot of things that will help me in my future career. Definitely room for advancement with their company.
Pros
Nice staff, great exposure.
Cons
needs basis job, don't know if you have to work forsure until late
Oncology Care Associate
Oncology Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 9, 2017
Great place to work, a learning and teaching hospital. You will gain skills and if you like to work extra hours we usually have some available. $15 A HR AT THE MINIMUM
Pros
Great place to work just lacking teamwork in some areas
Cons
Lack of teamwork and no pay increases
Provides excellent patient care
Clinical Research Coordinator I (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 3, 2017
Managed multiple cancer clinical trials. Maintained IRB-approved standards on trials and monitored patients' responses to study. Entered data for clinical trial daily.
Amazing
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 2, 2017
Learned a lot in this location. learned how important it is to deal with the patients correctly, and very good in experiencing urban settings of patients.