kate spade Employee Reviews

Fun place to work at
Associate (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 21, 2018
Kate Spade is a very fun and competitive place to work at. It requires a lot of team work and socializing for one to be a good employee at work. We get to talk to a lot of people which makes us better at communication and marketing skills.
Absolutely not!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arvin, CASeptember 13, 2018
The store I worked for was complete Facade. The management team was absolutely pitiful and should be ashamed of themselves. I felt personally attacked by the female managers and NEVER received the work schedule on time. Communication was abysmal on the managements end. I sent my availability on three separate occasions as well as my school schedule a month before the store opened never got a schedule. Anytime I tried to ask for it. I was either dismissed or told it would be taken care of and it never was. The management staff was so unreliable I don't at all feel comfortable recommending this job to anyone.
Loved Working There
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXSeptember 8, 2018
Very friendly environment. The employee discount makes it worth working there and the pay isn't bad. The store is small when it got crowded it was a little hard to work.
Collaborative Work Place with Lovely People
Senior Muse (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILAugust 30, 2018
Kate Spade requires a really strong work ethic to succeed. Must be action oriented and driven. The people are amazing and always there as a support system.
Pros
the people, the culture
LOVE this company!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ellenton, FLAugust 26, 2018
I would like to see more advancement in the company, store management should be actively training for district managers. Many DM's should actively lead with the intent to have their SM's be promoted to DM level. Promotion from with in is key.
Pros
Great Company. Benefits are awsome
Cons
More diversity. From store manager and up.
Fun workplace
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAAugust 23, 2018
They hire amazing and bubbly workers. They’re always so nice. I loved working here and the discounts are a plus! They also give you free wardrobe at the end of the month
Pros
Healthcare, wardrobe
Cons
Short breaks
Great environment
Sr. Muse (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 22, 2018
The management team was fun, knowledgeable. I enjoyed the benefits of the job and my co-workers. It was a colorful and enjoyable place to work. Everyone is always happy when you walk into such a colorful, good environment store.
Pros
Discounts, perks
Cons
No room for advancement
Fun and creative
Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 21, 2018
A great company to be apart of because they care about employees. I have some creative freedom when setting the store layout which is different from other larger retail stores.
Exciting brand, but tough place to work
PRODUCT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2018
Sadly, not the happy-go-lucky place you would hope it would be based on the brand identity. If you only live to work, this is the place for you. If you'd like a life outside of work, search for something else. Quite competitive, cut-throat, TONS of overtime and little vacation granted.
Pros
Discount, sample sales, decent compensation
Cons
No work-life balance
Terrible management and no room for growth
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAAugust 12, 2018
The brand and company are fun and colorful and that's where the positives end with this company. There is no room for growth within the store unless one of the store leaders decides they like you. Working here is like high school drama but getting paid minimum wage to be there and getting treated poorly by management. There is no organization and hours will be drastically cut if the store is slow.

A typical day there consists of being reprimanded for not doing enough even if there are 3 guests inside the store. Followed by not receiving your breaks on time and being spoken down to the entire time you are there. Additionally, favorites and clearly and frequently chosen so depending on if management decides they like you or not you will be dress coded while your co workers who are not dressed work appropriately will not be given a second look.

Unless you are ready to completely roll over for management I do not recommend working here. The workplace culture is toxic and not an enjoyable day to day environment.
Pros
Cons
Gossip, poor management, favorites, hours cut, low pay, poor scheduling
Overall great company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NY 10601August 11, 2018
This is by far the best company I have worked for. The company knows who their customers are, who they stand for and truly take the time to develop their team, not only with on boarding process but with constant development!
Love the brand....management is pathetic
Part-time Associate (Former Employee) –  Sevierville, TNAugust 2, 2018
Management is awful....
Gossips
Spiteful
Preferential treatment
Don't do what they say
Can't schedule, nor listen to availability
Kept from getting wardrobe because of missed mtg.
(Never a reason NOT to get wardrobe)
Pros
Discount
Cons
Breaks ignored, no benefits, no hours, treated unfairly
no room for growth
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 2, 2018
Working at kate spade I thought would be a great job. They do not give you an opportunity to move up nor do they give raises. The managers you think are great but half the time end up talking badly about you behind your back. I wouldn't recommend working here, unless they have changed their ways.
Enjoyable workplace environment with many useful skills that can be utilized
Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLJuly 26, 2018
A typical day at work was very goal oriented. We knew exactly what we needed to do and aimed to make it happen through the sales that we made. The management did a great job at encouraging the sales team to do the best that they could. The workplace culture was very enjoyable with everyone in the right mindset and attitude. The hardest part of the job came with some of the types of people that you had to deal with. The hardest part was also the most enjoyable because that was where the room for growth came in, in learning to deal with the different personalities that exist.
Pros
Rewards for making sales goals
Cons
Not many benefits for part-time employees
terrible management
"Sales Associate" (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 25, 2018
pick their favorites, have no respect for new workers because they expect you to know everything about the brand without proper training. if you look young you will automatically be thought of as less
Worst place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJuly 23, 2018
Do not work here!!!! The management absolutely sucks, they do not care about you at all. Once I was working a shift from 8 am - 5 pm and they still made me go throw the heavy trash!!!
It's alright
seasonal retail sales person (Current Employee) –  Gaffney, SCJuly 20, 2018
Love the job itself and the company, management is either super or way off. Don't expect enough hours to even come close to living on. Don't expect a raise. Don't expect advancement.
Pros
discount, benefits, breaks
Cons
low pay, low hours, stress
This was kindergarten
Sales associates (Current Employee) –  DelawareJuly 19, 2018
I experienced such age discrimination there and the companies management wasn't interested. It was appalling for a company who represents women does not really support them.
Pros
Discounts if you like the styles
Cons
Discrimination
Great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAJuly 11, 2018
Great company to work for, enjoyed and loved job. I'd recommend this job to others and wish I could go back but I had to move. The management was great and very supportive of workers.
Inspiring work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2018
Working at Kate Spade New York was exciting and inspirational. My typical day at work consisted of processing daily shipment, taking on different tasks,assisting customers over the phone as well as in person. The most exciting part about working at Kate Spade was being able to meet different people, such as artist's that collaborated in making customized handbags for customers.
Pros
Great discount on all items.
Cons
inconsistency with hours and scheduling.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at kate spade. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7

2.1Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight