Katerra
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Katerra Employee Reviews

United States175 reviews
I was honestly lucky to have made it so far at this job. The manager they had, was a hot head drill Sargent! he would fire 10 people in a day just because. If you ever appeared to be stumped or confused on a problem you risk loosing your job for not looking busy. I seen so many new people in their first month get fired on the spot for looking for work but not actually working. This place does give free food to make up for it, if you can survive. They will hire anyone who has ever seen a hammer. at times it seems like that was the only qualifications for the job.
Pros
Free cafeteria lunches, Indoor
Cons
Management, work load, lack of quality suppiles, high turnaround
My severence package was 8wks salary. That let me take a nice long and much needed vacation after Katerra closed my division (400+ people). My career there was a huge mistake.

They are scraping the bottom of the barrel to appear profitable for an IPO to recoup soft banks investment.
Pros
Catered lunches
Cons
a new CEO who couldn't manage his way out of a wet paper bag
I learned a lot of new skills and software while working with Katerra. Most of the people working at Katerra believe in the company vision and are kind, thoughtful individuals. There were multiple, large layoffs which caused distress among the employees.
This company is terribly unorganized and hires uneducated management. They would hire people in management positions that have absolutely no idea how the construction industry works.
It's a great company to work for. Great culture lots you can learn as well as contribute. I worked with Katerra on the southridge appartment apartment complex from start to finish for over a year and a half as a carpenter and will certainly come back if there is another site that starts up nearby.
Pros
Great company culture
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Management is terrible. No one knows what they are doing. Chaos abound. Management doesn't know how to make the correct decisions. Often it's the wrong decision that hurts the overall company. I would not recommend the company to anyone.
This company has serious issues from the top all the way down. The CEO is stepping down at the end of this month, and since i have been with the company this is the third wave of mass layoffs. I myself was let go at no reason of myself. I have never been so happy in my life to not be working for this train wreck of a company. People are in roles that they shouldn't even be able to dream of, NO ONE has the experience needed to be successful. I would steer clear of this company if you have a family, or actually need a stable source of income.
I was asked to join a company that was going to change how the world looked at the construction industry....boy was I wrong ... what I got was high stress... mass lay offs ... 12 plus hrs of work and if you mess up once your being replaced. little to no guidance from any engineers... katerra....needs to be renamed katerible..
They need to work on bettering the management around the company and having better communication with employees. The company lacks the right management skills. Have a lot of superintendents come and go.
It’s a peaceful place to work, people are nice, that’s all I have to say, everyone is sometimes not treated the same and that’s the real Truth,they have like buddy system going on.
This company has a great vision but very incompetent people working towards that goal. the culture is a very dog eat dog style and there's no loyalty all the way to the top.
June 17, 2020
Thank you for giving us a review. We’re glad you support our vision. The culture you describe does not match the environment we seek to foster. We have shared your feedback with management.
I would never recommend anyone to the katerra .They treated everyone unfair.. There is nothing in my mind that could change what I think and feel about them .Worst job ever.
Pros
N/A- not one
Cons
Everything was unlawful
The systems in place are not refined and upper Management is not connected to operations. I'm not very confident that the company has enough profit to make it through the pandemic. People are taking pay cuts and being laid off
June 17, 2020
Thank you for sharing your opinion. Like many companies, we have taken steps to manage our business through this unprecedented time. The safety and wellbeing of our entire workforce remains our number one priority.
Stay away, this place will chew you up and spit you out. constant turnover. Superiority attitudes in management. Very stressful atmosphere. more layoffs coming.
Many layoffs during my 6 months working there. My team was great but definitely was a stressful experience not knowing when it would be your time. Many new policies also add for lots of confusion
Pros
free lunch, unlimited PTO
June 17, 2020
Thank you for giving us a review. We’re glad you enjoyed your colleagues. We appreciate your contributions.
Due to the Non-Disclosure agreement, I cannot provide more info. There should be a flag for "Signed NDA" so we can skip typing 150 characters of no information
Industry-changing business premise, poor management. HIgh tech leadership disconnected to the rank and file manufacturing environment. Communications run hot and cold - inconsistent.
June 17, 2020
Thank you for taking a minute to give us a review. We are glad you share enthusiasm for our mission and we appreciate your feedback.
The company used to have good benefits but has been getting rid of much and laying off important employees to save their buddies who have zero long term vision
In my time with Katerra I was taken advantage of. I believe that senior management was just experimenting with construction and I feel a bit like a lab rat. Spoilers, the experiment FAILED. Katerra had no idea how to run a construction company for day 1. They had to call in help. When the help came in the form of Katerra buying another more experienced construction company, they just got rid of all labor and became a General Contractor. They decided to give up on their goals and fire all laborers in the midst of the worst pandemic to hit the US.
May 7, 2020
Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. Katerra is bringing new technologies and approaches to construction. We offer a comprehensive suite of building products and services for our clients, from turn-key projects to materials supply, renovations and general contracting services. Our top priority is the health and well-being of our employees and communities in which we work, and we are fully supporting our employees during this challenging time.
Stay away . Office management is very poor. They never get back to you until weeks later The company does not care about you at all

They just care about themselves by the end of the day
Pros
Money
Cons
Human resource department
Do not be fooled by the descriptions of their company. As of March 23rd they are shutting down their new construction division leaving hundreds of people across the country out of work. Shady corporate setup. Most upper management were great to deal with but they are out of work as well. Do not work for this company
May 7, 2020
Thank you for the feedback. While your experience at Katerra fell short of expectations, we are glad to hear you enjoyed many of your colleagues. Our U.S. construction division is operational, and we are hard at work delivering building projects across a range of market sectors, building typologies and geographies.