Kay Jewelers Employee Reviews

great team environment
Manager in Waiting Sales (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, AR 71913May 18, 2018
Everyone is always willing to help you out. Often over worked and not compensated. I know how to do a lot of different things since I have been there a long time, but there is not a position open, so I find myself over working and doing other peoples jobs.
This is a perfect job for someone in high school or just starting college
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 15, 2018
I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. The base pay is downright laughable, and the commission structure even more so. The commission structure is so diminutive, I wonder why they even bother paying any commission at all.

They set you up for failure as there is a huge lack in training. If you start the job at full time and your sales start to slack, they cut your pay and status as full-time. Favoritism was apparent when I found out this didn't happen to ALL employees if their sales were down.

The company's standards are asinine, as they place an enormous amount of responsibility on you with little to no incentives, and many of the tasks are tremendously tedious.

Luckily, the particular store I worked at had a wonderful store manager, however, the company and the district itself is horrendous. I've always believed that if you take care of your employees, your employees will take care of you--this company does not take care of their employees. If you are a hard working, reliable employee that wants to be appreciated, I advise you to look elsewhere.
Pros
Great coworkers, great store manager
Cons
Compensation, no paid vacations, favoritism, negative punishment, no positive reinforcement
Taxing work, but good environment
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houma, LAMay 15, 2018
Though upper management seems to be oblivious for the reasons why a store isn't producing the same as it was, local management tried their hardest to bridge the gap by caring for their employees.
The sales goals were a bit unreasonable at times, but with A LOT of hard work they were obtainable. Also, the discount is amazing when there was Star Wars jewelry.
Compensation
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WI 54904May 11, 2018
Working for this company is not optimal if you plan on having a home and children. No one can survive on the hourly wage. Commission is nonexistent. Ultimately this would be one of multiple jobs for someone to survive unless they were able to get into management.
Pros
Great discount on jewelry
Cons
Horrible pay
Cut throat competitive work place
JEWELRY CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Yukon, OKMay 11, 2018
Needed a job quick and had a friend who worked there. Got me hired on quickly then he left that location. When he left the remaining management was terrible. The assistant manager basically ruled the store and if she dint like you that week you weren't getting scheduled. After 2 weeks of not being scheduled after asking and asking to be put on i turned in my notice.
Pros
Close to a lot of food places
Cons
horrible working atmosphere
I Hetate Kay's
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 9, 2018
Commission is 0.025% its nothing and they "Pay based on experience" complete and job security in non existent, just save your time for real work at diamonds direct
Great Management, Okay Pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Florence, ALMay 5, 2018
Working at Kay Jewelers, the team is wonderful. Management is fantastic and you never feel like it's you against them. However, the base pay isn't so great. So as long as you can work the hours, you should make enough commission to balance out that of a normal retail job and then some.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Base pay
Excellent Place of Employment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2018
With the proper team, and support of sister stores, maximum revenue can be achieved. There may be some down time, but there is always something to be done for the betterment of the guest.
Pros
Variable lunch times
Cons
working weekends
good place to work/not enough pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 2, 2018
Small wages and commission unfortunately is group based so you could sell 100,000 and your partner could sell 1,000 and in the long run you would suffer due to others performance. Other than pay I loved the job and atmosphere.
Pros
Discount, Customer Service
Cons
Wages and Credit expectations
Fun place to work but the commission structure sucks
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHApril 28, 2018
I think for the amount of money that is made at the store the commission should be a lot better for the employees because they constantly change the commission structure and try to position it in a way that is supposedly is beneficial to the individual employees when in reality it only benefits the company as they are always looking for ways to get out of paying you commission.
Great seasonal job
SALES PROFESSIONAL/MANAGEMENT (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 27, 2018
Its retail so your work/life balance is not good. During holidays the schedule is not flexible. Pay is good. Training is decent. Management is very black and white with numbers. They don't take into consideration hard work.
Pros
Meet a lot of great people
Cons
Work hours
Stressful work Environment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  North Myrtle Beach, SCApril 27, 2018
Manager of the store was very Drama oriented on a daily basis. She has personal conversations about all her employees daily and never a good thing to say about any of them. As the office worker she would have me do things that were against company policy. Even dispose of clients personal info in a manner that was not company policy that could have put there identities at risk.
Pros
Cons
drama filled environment
Great store manager, terrible district manager
Jewelry consultant (Current Employee) –  Oviedo, FLApril 26, 2018
The typical day at Kay is not that bad, opening the store, organizing the jewelry, talking to customers and selling them credit plans and the jewelry itself. I learned how to operate sales systems, ring sales, and approach people and make them feel comfortable with the decisions they were making. The store manager is an amazing person, the district manager however is the total opposite; she recently came in and started making changes that lead to drastic hour reduction for most part timers and a tense work environment for everyone. In my opinion, the hardest part of this job for me has been to get customers into actually applying for credit cards, and the part I enjoyed the most, has been the good relationship I hold with my co-workers and the fact that they always got your back whenever you need them.
Fun Place To Work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 26, 2018
I love working for Kay. You must total open availability. The manager is great. If you do not mind working nights, weekends and holidays you will fit in great.
Pros
Team works together to make goals
Cons
Must be willing to work most weekends
Enjoyable place to work.
Sales Associate / Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSApril 23, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job at Kay is learning the different fundamentals of diamonds. I enjoy customer service and mingling with the guests. My experience with the guest has been phenomenal. I treat every guest as if they're my family. Provide sales team and customer service assistance by responding to general inquiries regarding customer concerns and needs. Established a solid career growth track record in the areas of customer relations, business administration,and personnel management which is accompanied by proven drive,intelligence, and flexibility.
Fun but competitive job
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHApril 23, 2018
I enjoyed my job at Kays, it is a very competitive job due to it being sales you had to be good at pushing sales to earn a good salary. You also got good discounts for working there.
Pros
Discounted merchandise
Cons
A lot of evening hours and holidays
typical day
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Hope, WVApril 23, 2018
answered phones, assisted customers, did layaways, counted money, cleaned jewelry, used cash register, fax machine, loved working with different types of people to help them chose what their loved one might like.
Pros
good atmosphere, liked helping customers
Cons
no room for advancement, not much pay, temporary job
productive fun work place
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 22, 2018
Kay Jewelers is a great place to work, fast paced, and fun. Salary is great and commission is even better. The guest are amazing, discounts are great and the quality of merchandise is amazing.
Enjoyed it for the most part
KEY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAApril 22, 2018
Good first time job. You get paid commission so you can earn a lot of money if you're good at selling. The management is below par, in my opinion. THey have flexible hours.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 22, 2018
This company is fast paced but I was a seasonal employee. It was fun but very competitive and the other employees fought for customers. The hardest part of this job was getting repeat customers and most enjoyable was my manager.
Pros
discount on jewelry
Cons
very competitive