Kelchner, Inc. Employee Reviews

Unbelievably Dishonest
Lead Operator (Former Employee) –  Springboro, OHApril 20, 2019
Former employee that finally got fed up with the non stop dishonesty and incompetence of the management at Kelchner. These guys will lie, cheat and steal their way through every job they have on the books. They are now part of a global company that will shed this operation sooner or later because these guys are truly the biggest hacks in the industry. If you are a true professional, don't tarnish your reputation with these guys. If you are a person just looking for a paycheck, knock yourself out.
Pros
Cons
Ask anybody who works there
heavy equipment operator
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 27, 2019
Long hours, Poor management n safety practices, lacked necessary tools, coworkers were best part of job minus management, learned to watch my back. workplace culture, management would direct you to do task incorrectly all to have task redone another time. Very unprofessional and poor budgeting. smh...what a joke
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management
Enjoyed working with almost everyone there.
Laborer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Springboro, OHJanuary 20, 2019
Owner and family took the time to get to know employees, anytime they came to location they would take a minute to ask how you’re doing and if there was anything they could do to make the work easier.
Pros
Work atmosphere was easy going with knowledgeable leaders
Cons
In-company advances on buddy system, not always on qualifications
Abort. Abort. I repeat abort!
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 18, 2019
I've worked for 4 construction companies and none of which were as sorry as this excuse of a company. Nobody had any training, the safety was a joke though they "showed face" as though it was important. Management was god awful. It was truly the blind leading the blind. Promised raises to keep people coming back, but no one ever received them.

I had a foreman who when using the pipe laser told me to put the fall percentage at 37% ...You mean .37% ? NO! 37% He says, You'll mess everything up He says. If you have experience you realize how incredibly embarrassing that is to have someone who is the FOREMAN arguing over that.
THIS COMPANY IS A JOKE & THE SHIP IS UP IN FLAMES. ABORT.
Pros
Through bad times you build commodore with coworkers
Cons
Many
Guys are great and loved me
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNJanuary 4, 2019
Fun exciting, I learned a lot of new things. People there were awesome and helping. Half young half wise. It was a great company I would go back......
Horrible management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, tnNovember 19, 2018
Management was horrible. Look at operators and laborers like scum. Hope you don't like lunches. They don't believe in taking lunch. In 6 months we laid 300 feet of pipe.. ...didnt provide right tools for the job. Constantly getting hours and pay wrong. Honestly the worst company I've ever worked for.. yes I was getting paid 26 classes an hour... ..but it still wasnt worth dealing with all the bs. First job ive ever just said I can't deal and quit!! On 6 separate occasions I was asked to come in to work knowing it was raining. Drive an hour to get thi work only for them to send me home.. ...no pay... ..no show up time... nothing.. not to mention I was hired to work at a site in clarksville.. after orientation the send me to a job in murfreesboro... an hour and a half away...
Pros
Cons
Everything about this company is bad!!!
Watch your back! Bunch of back stabbing liars
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 14, 2018
Senior management is a joke. They lie, create drama and do not care about employees. All they care about is revenue. One positive is the safety program. The safety director and field guys are top notch!
Pros
Safety Program
Cons
Long hours, poor senior management, untrustworthy managers
Would not reccomend
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Springboro, OHJune 13, 2018
My day started at 5:30 and lasted until 7:00PM. I learned that Management did not care about the people that worked there. The culture was to work jobs with the least amount of people and demand perfection and profits even if safety was compromised. The hardest part of the job was being on call 7 days a week and believe me, you were called even on Sunday to fix problems. The most enjoyable part of my job was the rank and file. Even though they were over worked, they still for the most part kept a good attitude. Upper management was bad and cared little about the employees. I was a project manager that moved my family twice for them but was let go after less then a year. If you are looking for a permanent job beware. They will lie to you.
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
Poor Management, safety, and lies.
No home life
Hoe Operator Pipe Crew (Former Employee) –  Springboro, OHMay 9, 2018
No time for family or home life! Work you 10 to12 hrs a day 6 days a week then want you to volunteer for Sunday... You are just a Body to these people, hire you for one thing make you do something else. Everyone there seems miserable and hates their jobs. Would not recommend this place if they had the last piece of yellow equipment on the planet...
Pros
Cons
Too Many To list
Survey Technician (Current Employee) –  Springboro, OHMay 7, 2018
It was a nice place to work, but it had some challenges. work safe but work smart so everyone can make it home to there familys.kelchner was a civil construction company. My Job was to find and localize the control for the projects, Topo the projects, set up our heavy equipment with machine grade systems, do our utility layout, grade check, at the end of project perform asbuilt topo of site and all utilities
fair
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Springboro, OHApril 4, 2018
Had many different positions
Started by answering phones, did payroll, did acct payables.
Switched to Project administrator. Decided to go back to school
Long hours low pay
Lowboy Driver/equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Springboro, OHJanuary 15, 2018
I worked there for 1year did not get a raise was very underpayed for the job. If you are not in the click of friends with the Superintendent you are not going anywhere. The management sucks.
Pros
Tons of hours
Cons
Underpayed not treated fairly
Rapid Bulk dirt moving
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Springsboro, OhMarch 25, 2017
If someone is willing to be away from your family, and home for long periods at a time. Also if you like to work long hours, low pay(for some), and constant misguidance from the management. This would a good place for you. If someone is willing to look past all that, and focus on doing your job. Than it might be worth it.
Pros
Insurance, 401K, profit sharing, and paid vacations.
Cons
out of state work, low pay(for some)
Fast paced fun work place
Operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 24, 2017
Very fast paced, but organized work environment. Made it a lot easier to show up to work everyday. Was around a lot of people with a whole lot of knowledge that thrived on teaching the younger guys anything they could.
Kelchner - A Wood Group Corporation
Employee (Current Employee) –  OhioNovember 30, 2016
There are a lot of changes that need to be made.

I learned many things and all the hard way.

Management - depends on which part is being discussed. Some upper management got employees hopes up on discussing upcoming projects and the projects were not awarded nor did Kelchner have the work. Some management was great to work with and some had to learn the hard way.

Co-workers - a lot of the co-workers were hard working, loyal, knowledgeable and conducted work safely. Some of the workers, including foreman did not care and some were pushovers or negligent.

The hardest part of my job was the inconsistency.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a lot of my co-workers and learning new things.

It seems like when the Wood Group took over things went down hill.
Pros
Money is good, some management was extremely helpful. Enjoy most of my co-workers.
Cons
Inconsistency, training, staffing is a circus sometimes, payroll and per diem could be done better.
good family oriented company
operator trackhoe, dozer (Current Employee) –  St Clairsvle, OHNovember 30, 2016
as many hours as you want to work,if you need a day off its no big deal,they treat employees good,pay rate is ok if you want to travel this is the place to work
The land of the misfit toys
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  St. Clairsville, OHJuly 10, 2016
Whoa! Where do I begin? All I have to say is look at some of the 1 & 2 star reviews. The statements are very accurate & I'll leave it at that...
Pros
Benefits & Hourly Pay in reasonable
Cons
Very disorganized & Management is borderline clueless
Theyre a joke!
Mangement (Current Employee) –  Eastern OhioJune 19, 2016
Organization is full of inner politics & clicks. They brag about their so called culture & exhaust alot of effort in putting together promotional videos full of lies. Management is aware of the childish behavior but does nothing due to one of the managers is family. Hopefully Wood Group will clean things up once they take full control but for now they don't hold a candle to other Companies. Also, they have an astronomical turnover rate in Eastern Ohio for these reasons!!!
Pros
Halfway decent benefits
Cons
Too long to list.
labor
labor (Former Employee) –  powhatonMarch 20, 2016
I worked on the pipeline . I have a heavy machine certificate. I worked more than 50 hours a week till I got laid off . I will work hard and never quit.
good company to work for
Operator/ Lowboy Driver (Current Employee) –  Springboro, OHJanuary 4, 2016
I have only been with them a short time. Right on I am on temporary lay off. I would start my day about 5:30 am have my move list and go to work. No body had to hold my hand or supervise me closely
Pros
a lot of work wheater permitting
Cons
lay offs short term