Kemper Home Service Companies Employee Reviews

My Position as a Claims Rep.
Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 21, 2018
Everyday in the Claims Department you have to find ways and solve problem in helping customers. I love to help customers with a 100% score. If I am not capable in helping a customers, I will go above and beyond to see how can I assist the customers. My job is to make the customers happy and satisfied so we can continue to due business.
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, TXJune 19, 2018
It is a broad opportunity coming from a background of mostly production and customer service. I really enjoy working for this company. However I do not feel as if it is the career for me. It's not where my heart is.
Pros
flexible schedule/make own schedule
Cons
lots of driving/wear and tear on personal vehicle
Kemper is a great place to work
Retirement Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2018
I enjoyed working at Kemper. My managers and supervisors were very understanding. I worked at Kemper for almost 43 years and worked in the payroll department, financial department, medical group department and the retirement benefits department. I actually enjoyed working at the retirement department more because my coworkers were very nice and easygoing.
Pros
Overtime pay
Busy work place
Policy Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 23, 2018
Kemper was a decent place to work. Everybody there was pretty nice to work with and it was easy to work as a team. We had certain quotas that we had to meet everyday for our work flows. Some days were more stressful than others. I liked working there except the pay was not the best and it was kind of hard to move up in the company.
Pros
Nice co workers and managers.
Cons
The pay was not the best.
Productive, fast paced, challenging
Vice President Human Resources (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 11, 2018
Kemper Home Services was a very good work experiences. Working with the Agencies was rewarding. The Agency operations looked to provide a solid culture were there team had the opportunity for growth and success. There were other department within the home office that were less than collaborative, territorial and self service. All in all I enjoyed working there because my manager empowered me to do my job. Working with the agency operations countered the other challenges. I would have stayed if the opportunity had not presented itself to join a former colleague.
Review
Oracle Database and Application Administrator (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 9, 2018
I feel I'm losing my technical DBA skills while working at Kemper. My day to day workload has a large portion of work that is not related to my position or skill set.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
unrelated duties
No Career Advancement for certain employees/The Worst Management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 3, 2017
Stressful and Unprofessional atmosphere

Working with uneducated/not trained properly employees and Managers on a daily basis is the hardest part of the job

Pay increases almost do not exist
Pay does not match the job duties
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Salary/Management
It was okay.
Policy Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJune 14, 2017
I applied for a position that requires specific credentials that I possess and instead was put down to Policy Services, a starting position. I didn't know what my job was until the day after I started.

They have courses available that are paid for by the company that helps you to advance, and you get bonuses for passing those courses; however, they do not make known that those courses are available. You have to figure it out on your own. You also can't do your job effectively unless you already have a background in insurance, or you take those courses, because management doesn't actually train you. They show you how to key in one type of thing and the rest of them you either have to figure out for yourself or you have to catch a manager when they're available. We weren't allowed to help each other out, either.

Management doesn't know what they're doing. They can't decide on what the rules are, and are consistently squabbling at each other and the employees for not doing things right. There are often cases where, if you do what your supervisor suggests you do, you get audited.

God forbid you have any kind of emergency. Even if you have PTO available, it counts against you. Management calls off regularly for whatever reason, but employees can't have a medical or property emergency without having issues with the company as well.

The job itself was quite easy once you actually know what you're doing. Make sure you're prompting your manager to train you though, because they will ignore you otherwise. You also have to remind them to put in required-by-the-company journals,
  more... which they never actually do. Good luck with your end-of-year review.  less
Pros
Very easy once you know what you're doing, magnificent healthcare options, paid holidays off
Cons
See above
learning experience
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 21, 2017
The beginning of my learning experience! I learned a lot to prepare me for something greater. will forever remain humble and thankful for the time spent and the many people that helped me along the way!
The treatment and pay was absolutely horrible
Records Clerk 3 (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 26, 2015
A typical day at work included opening mail, scanning and indexing.
Although I was not trained at all, and my Supervisor handeled me in an unprofessional manner by yelling at me everytime I made a mistake, I learned on my own and with the help of a Co-Worker how to properly use "Vignette Image Capture".
Management was horrible and very unprofessional. My Supervisor did not train me. She was extremely rude and mean to me from day one. I could not go to her for questions. And she did not have the knowledge to even train me properly.
The actual Manager of the department started off nice, but she lets the Supervisor get away with anything such as: Having personal conversations on the work phone for long periods of time. Not properly training the Associates. Treating them in a rude and unfair manner. Not coming to work on time.
The hardest part of the job was being treated unfairly by the Manager and Supervisor. The actual job was easy.
There was not an enjoyable moment at the job.
Pros
Food Trucks
Cons
Short Lunch breaks, Horrible Pay, Not being trained properly, Unprofessional, Not being treated fairly

Want to know more about Kemper Home Service Companies?

Ask a question
Kemper
Training Administrator (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOFebruary 27, 2015
Working here is very nice and difficult at times. Such as management not knowing information they should know.

Typical Work day:
Filing
Reports
Creating exams
Grading Exams
Expense Reports
Ordering Supplies
Pros
Flexiable and Family first environment
Cons
Gap between Management & Favortism is present
OK job long days low pay
sales agent (Former Employee) –  Macon gaJanuary 28, 2015
The management can be disrespectful. No one knows what's going on with guidelines and regulations.
Pros
you are your own boss
Cons
low wages long hrs
Great Co- Workers at time when they are not stressed.
Record Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Saint LouisOctober 12, 2014
Over worked and under paid and there excuse is we have benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Pay unprofessional and unfair managers, Humans Resources, supervisors
Stay far away!
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 4, 2014
The pay is horrible to those that are not management. They also like to pile on the work and require mandatory overtime when the pay is lousy. If you want to advance far in a company this is not the place for you.
Pros
Some friendly people
Cons
Pay
Used to be a good place to work
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TxApril 27, 2014
Been with the company for years, it was great until this year when they took our ATO and Management is not professional, there is no rules, Administrators do the mangers job. Looking for a better job, too much work very little pay
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Little pay
Worse Company Ever
Claims assistant (Current Employee) –  St Louis, MOApril 16, 2014
Worked here for years and every day you had to be concerned about your job. You were forced to work overtime with no notice. Management is a joke, they manage by gossip and if something negative is said by someone they will take it as fact.. I've seen people fired for something as small as coming back a few minutes from break because the supervisor didn't like that person.

You get vacation time but you are instructed not to use it. The production metrics are unreachable. A person that does little work will get the same raise as the person that goes above and beyond.
Worse micromanaging I've ever seen. Upper management is unprofessional and uses vulgar language.
Some job openings and new positions are not posted and offered to friends of upper management
Pros
coworkers
Cons
Management, raises, production standards, pay
Property Claims Examiner
Claims (Former Employee) –  St LouisJanuary 10, 2014
This company has taken advantage of almost every employee that it has hired, less mid-level/upper mgmt.employees, by way of paying minimum wages, BELOW the current market prices for similar work in the generalized area and the nation. This company as a negative enviroment accordingly and treat their employees as if they are spies, always watching and checking their computer "key strokes"... The favoritism is open and obvious... They will only consider interviewing you if you "plead" that you will accept below what the "market will bear". If you have to work at this business, accept w/ the knowledge that you will continue looking for a "real job", GOOD LUCK. Their name precedes them...
Pros
You make some income, though minimum. Average in your hours worked
Cons
Ridicule and Sarcasm, below average income, long working days...
Do Not Work Here
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 21, 2013
Pay is poor. Overtime is excessive. Often didn't get lunch or breaks. Kemper does not care about about its employees. The place is filled with favoritism and preferential treatment. Management is very unprofessional.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Low pay, poor benefits, stressful, poor morale.
Senior Claim Support Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 19, 2013
great place to work, typical day at work includes training others, answering questions about procedure, computer support
Pros
holidays, coworkers, overtime available
Cons
short breaks, expensive insurance
good place to work, good benefits,
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 10, 2012
a typical day at work would be answer phones, create spreadsheets, check agents licenses, check and print out mvr, credit, criminal & background reports. I learned a lot about the insurance industry and how it operates. Hardest part of the job was the stress of the work overload...the most enjoyable part was learning new things and the diversity of the job. I was always doing something different. Every day was a new day.