Kemper Employee Reviews

Relaxed and comfortable place to work
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CADecember 16, 2018
Easy paced work place
Learned about workers compensation insurance.
Management was always appreciative for the work we did everyday
Stress free workplace with supportive management
Pros
Great benefits, paid vacations, flexile work hours.
Cons
n/a
I only worked there for 6 months
Registered Nurse/ Telephonic Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 12, 2018
I did not like working at Kemper. Too much of an office atmosphere, to much stress. Sweat shop feeling with too much micromanagement. I would not recommend this company
Run!
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 26, 2018
They will hire you only to let you go! Waste of time. They are shutting down the Jacksonville office except for IT. No stability. People are let go every day. Walk on eggshells every single day. Not worth the stress. Find a more secure position. No communication from upper management. Everything is a secret, therefore, rumors abound!
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
Healthcare is the worst!
Loved it
Administration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  DeWitt, NYNovember 25, 2018
I worked as an Administrative Coordinator for Kemper in the Auto Claims department. My management and peers were all incredible people. Unfortunately I lost use of my legs for an extended period of time due some medical issues from my time in the military, and I was unable to leave me home. Due to those circumstances, my short term disability ran out, and i did not yet qualify for long term. If I was able to still be working there, I absolutely would. Wonderful environment.
Micromanagement
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 15, 2018
Stressful environment. Managers micromanage and/or continually change procedures. Not open to suggestions from new or current employees More concerned about shareholders. Little concern about policyholders and/or employees. Huge turnover. Poor communication between management and staff.
Worthwhile and effective place to work with great people.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 12, 2018
Becoming a medical assistant was a lifelong passion for me because I got chance to help people and work in a fast paced exciting environment with pride.
Culture changed to reduce staff moral throughout the company
Claims (Former Employee) –  TEXASNovember 8, 2018
Culture changed to eliminate employees or relocate without regard to employee life circumstances or negotiation or accommodation. Poor leadership at the top failed to addressed management problems and challenges placed on workers. Heartless, inconsiderate and not intelligent.
Pros
The work itself was enjoyable
Cons
Senior management ruined the culture
Constant layoff
Property Damage Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Plymouth Meeting, PANovember 8, 2018
Layoff employees every quarter. Fellow employees were wonderful. However management was very incompetent . There was always news about possible layoffs.
Software Developer/Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2018
start at 7am stop at ??, it was fun working there so there was not a fix hour to leave, at least for me.
I learned so many new things related to my job.
management was always helpful and supportive, I had great unit managers!, never interacted with top level management.
work culture was always fun, kemper days, company lunches, and annual dinners.

the hardest part was learning the business, and the most ejoyable was meeting all kinds of people.
Pros
Cons
all
The good with the bad
Bodily Injury Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 5, 2018
This is a non standard company, the benefits are good for a being a small yet growing company. It has it's up's and Downs but that's 1 of the things that you have to weigh out anywhere that you go. I have nothing bad to say about the company because I understand that it is in transition. I came in at a good time I'm able to see the company grow and I want to grow with the company
Pros
Secure job, room for growth
Cons
No bonuses
Toxic work environment
VP of Claims Operations (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXNovember 2, 2018
This company is a hot mess! Senior leaders are flat out dishonest and there is zero respect or concerns for employees! I worked here for 10 years in their Dallas location and watched the new CEO and his leaders turn this once great company into the worst place to work in America. Layoffs every quarter, low to zero merit increases and senior leadership with ZERO integrity!!! Stay far away from this company no matter how much they offer you. Do yourself a favor and trust me it is not worth it!!!
Pros
Potential to be great
Cons
Horrible leadership starting with CEO office
very productive work place
Claims Clerk II & III / Casualty Policy Rater (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 29, 2018
I worked for Kemper Insurance company for 19 years. I started out as a Casualty Policy Rater moved up to a Policy typist II and III.

I maintained and updated rating manuals. Rated submissions for Automobile and Worker's Compensation.

Typed all insurance forms, manuals and policy procedures. Proof read policy raters and underwriting.

set up all incoming claim with file number folders and faxed to claim adjusters. Prepared checks for Nationwide companies to insured.

I also answered a 36-line switchboard and assured timely account payments.
Good company
RPA Developer (Blue Prism) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 15, 2018
Kemper is a good company that is adding other companies and moving people around. I'm ok with that and will do whatever it takes to get the job done. Kemper is a really good company, just re-balancing, probably for the better.
It is under constant construction
Claims Adjuster II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 12, 2018
Working at Kemper, the people are great, but management is lost. The amount executive turnover is scary. They implement processes without consideration to their bottom line, and wonder why there are soo many complaints. They had a good system of handling claims, but they decided to start over. I am so glad I left when I did. The amount of stress there is tragic.
Pros
People, pay, free food
Cons
The workload and claims process. They need far more adjusters than they think
Decent pay but horrible standards!
Subrogation Specialist (Current Employee) –  DallasOctober 5, 2018
Good company to get your feet wet in the insurance business, but run afterwards.The management does not value their employees. They sweep a lot of things under the rug for their managers including harrassment.
Outside sales.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75232September 30, 2018
I enjoyed working for Kemper I like the dauly travel and interaction with customers and being able to share their concerns and encouraging the customers and promoting the insurance business.
Pros
outside sales
Cons
could use more encouraging and up to date computer equipment.
Toxic Culture in Subrogation
Subrogation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 29, 2018
Stay away if you value a healthy culture, team-building, team -work, care, and a focus on helping you development your career. The culture is very toxic.
Pros
Basically you can do whatever you like - no metrics or accountability. Pay is decent.
Cons
Poor management, poor culture, no leadership ( except one manager who the department was jealous of). He was firm, but caring ( I see that now).
stressful and no work life balance
Casualty Litigation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 28, 2018
Stressful environment, no good work life balance. There is a lot of turnover and managers are not clear about conveying the conditions of the working environment. There are lay offs that are unexpected.
Pros
location
Cons
upper managament
Not Good
Customer Service - Preferred (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 27, 2018
Do not work for this company. Management will lie in the interview to get you in. Short breaks for longs days. Micromanagement with unrealistic expectations. Unprofessional work environment. Horrible training.
Kemper
Claims Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 21, 2018
Kemper Insurance was truly home away from home. It was such a great place to work. Everyone got along great and helped each other succeed. Kemper is one company that I would return to without hesitation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kemper. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight