Kemper Employee Reviews

Claims Adjuster, Branch Claim Department (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJMarch 19, 2019
Last Manager and Supervisor were great, seasoned employees and with Kemper for some time; family came first then the job, co-workers were great too....
Pros
Family first
nice company nice people
Underwriting Consultant, International (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 7, 2019
this was a nice company but they went out of buisess years ago. there is no reason to review them but this will not let me pass the screen iwthout putting something in this area.
Manager is horrible. He has no management experience.
Sr. Data Scientist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2019
Very aggressive. But company is operating in under served market made up of poor, illiterate people. Where they can make more money without much competition. Not very good impression overall.
Kemper Preferred
Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orangevale, CAMarch 4, 2019
Kemper Preferred was a great office to work in, low turn over, excellent results.

Company was sold and purchase 2 high risk companies, they closed the Folsom office and I was rehired as an adjuster. There was quite an adjustment for me as a Preferred adjuster to high risk policy and the amount required.. I would not recommend Kemper Specialty or Alliance United to any claims adjuster. The job culture is constant change.
Do Not Work Here
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAFebruary 28, 2019
I would never recommend anyone to work for this company. They bought my previous company four years ago, which was an amazing, wonderful company to work for at that time. Kemper came in and completely changed it for the worse. They overwork their claims adjusters and stress them to the point that they leave. They have layoffs continuously so everyone feels on eggshells and nervous all the time. Upper management does not care how long you have been at the company or how great of a worker you are, they will lay you off without even thinking twice, and not even offer you another position. I have seen them lay off some of the best employees that any company would love to have, and keep the worst ones around. They need to revamp how they run their company because they will continue to lose valuable employees and have a poor reputation. No one will want to work for them, or recommend them to others if they continue treating their staff this way. Please do not apply to work here, you will regret it!
Pros
Wonderful, hard-working coworkers
Cons
Stressful, layoffs constantly, low yearly increases
Becoming a Non-Standard Insurer
MATERIAL DAMAGE APPRAISER (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 25, 2019
Kemper has recently merged with Infinity, a nonstandard insurer, and have decided to handle claims their way. Experienced employees are being RIF’d and being replaced with new hires in Montgomery, AL.

This company is in turmoil and will be so for the next couple of years while the current executives make decisions that will boost the stock price, secure their bonuses and golden parachutes, and then leave before it comes crashing down. Google the CEO and check out his history. I expect they’ll lose their rating within the next few years, by which time, the executive management team will have moved on to the next company.
Pros
401(k) match
Cons
Pension was removed and employment security
No structure at all
Total Loss Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 23, 2019
Horrible horrible horrible . Management does not care about employees. No work/life balance. Overtime is expected weekly in order to keep up with heavy unmanageable workload
CRM Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 21, 2019
too many changes and management team are not at par to translate new changes to Agent daily schedules. It is a very warm client service environment Agents are very committed to help clients.
Fun place to work
Commercial Examiner (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 21, 2019
Promotion given within the company along with bonus. Enjoyed working for the company. Management hands off as long as you do your job. Workplace culture is laid back.
Pros
Exercise room
Cons
Great benefits
Total Loss Adjuster (Former Employee) –  DeWitt, NYFebruary 19, 2019
Working for Kemper was a pleasure. Loved what I was doing and working with the my co workers Position moved to Texas Family here unable to relocate with job position
Broken
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 18, 2019
8-10 system to work iin and they do not work. Company invest too much money in a system and now won’t admit it was a mistake
Total amount due on bill in one system is completely different in another system. Agents hate the new system and call in just to tell us how our system sucks

Once they acknowledge mistake and fix them could be a good company but this will take years to fix
Pros
Good 401k
Cons
The company is broken
Work Environment
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAJanuary 30, 2019
The company was difficult, due to the culture of the environment and leadership. Unprofessional in some circumstances, gossip around the work environment
All good
MATERIAL DAMAGE APPRAISER (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJanuary 29, 2019
Great management , lots of parking.
its the calls to attorney rep, I called and called at no avail.
************************************************
Poor management
Administrative Assistant/Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springdale, OHJanuary 29, 2019
Minimal training for initial duties - but not enough for what the position actually entailed. Position was actually much more than a Customer Service Clerk - was actually Office Manager duties with not enough pay.
Cons
only 37.5 hours/week
Work/Life balance
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 21, 2019
You have file ownership and usually you work 10-7 since most claims are from the state of California, but if you are licensed, then you start to get claims from other states.
Pros
Minimal supervision.
Cons
Excessive work load
Adjuster
Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJanuary 21, 2019
It’s a waste of time applying for Kemper as they just purchased the Infinity Insurance which is ran by poor management. Poor treatment of employees and retaliation is normal everyday life there. They only promote you when they feel like it. You can never voice your opinion or make a suggestion either they take your idea and make it their own and never acknowledge you or you’ll have a target on your back until they find a reason to fire you. The South Florida offices are a revolving door.
Pros
Benefits and time off
Cons
Micro-management, lack of moral, they will work you to death, pay is low, no growth
Productive place to work
MATERIAL DAMAGE APPRAISER (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 9, 2019
My experience with Kemper was great. I am simply looking for more opportunities to advance..

Overall I had a great experience there and would recommend it to anyone
Decent place to work
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2019
Good working place to work. Laid back but busy.

Co-workers are nice. I don't mind going to work everyday.

Management is nice to work under and connect with employees.
Pros
Great Supervisor
Cons
45 min lunch break
A good place to work
Trainer for Premium Auditors (Former Employee) –  Long Grove, ILJanuary 3, 2019
I worked for several departments during my 26 years at Kemper. I learned how to work as a team member which has helped me in many areas of my life. My favorite positions were premium auditor, project manager,and trainer.
Once was good. Now Horrible. Employee moral is rock bottom
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 1, 2019
The effects of stupid, cruel and uncaring management is taking a terrible toll on what was once a great company and place to work.

The changes to the claims department have been disastrous. Change is to be expected in any work environment, but when the people making the changes have no consideration for how it negatively affects the lives of the staff it is just kills moral.

No one in this company's claims department is happy. The very nature of claims is stressful and management should be doing everything they can to reduce it, instead of piling on.

The pay is miserable, no decent raises, no room for advancement. Understaffed claims department.

In short, the company culture has changed and not for the better.
Pros
All the pros to this company have been eliminated
Cons
Executive Management. They only look after themselves.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kemper. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight