Kemper Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Stay away from this company
Subrogation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 16, 2018
Gain some experience and move on. I guarantee you will regret working at this company. They do not care about their employees. Management is the worst ive seen in my working career. Turnover is EXTREMELY high
Pros
the pay is decent
Cons
no EAP, taking PTO is frowned upon, high turnover
Fun and friendly workplace
Policy Typist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 10, 2018
We have a busy Policy Typist Department
We handled all insurance lines; Commercial, Automobile, Personal, and Endorsements.
We deal with internal insurance agents and clients as well
Pros
Busy, but with good workplace and nice employees
Cons
Irate customers and insurance agents
Out of business
Commercial Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 9, 2018
Kemper was a great place to work. Lots of fun but challenging at the same time. Office was very close and everybody seemed happy. Unfortunately they are now out of business.
Pros
Nice place
Cons
Out of business
Not a great place to work
Liability Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 5, 2018
Kemper, was a great place to work. So many transitions,. When changes are made, upper management doesn't relay the info until a mistake is being corrected. The new information is discovered not relayed as it should. Lack of merit, and performance increases. Moral is low. Understaffed. Lack of organization.
Pros
Pto, Flexible schedule
Cons
No structure, too many changes with litte direction. No growth.
Went out of business
Cancellation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 30, 2018
The company was a great place work, but when the company went out of business. They did give reference and helped people with resources that helped them to find employment.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
When I worked there, we had a very diverse atmosphere
Underwriting Assistant/Underwriting Tech II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 29, 2018
When I worked at Kemper, I started out in the mailroom. I then moved to the Coding Department. While working in Coding, I had an opportunity to do some overtime for the HPR Department. I was told off the record that they had a position coming up for a typist. I accepted. About 6 months later I was offered a position as an Underwriter Assistant, which was later renamed to Technical Specialist.
Pros
Chance for advancement
Worked in salvage area
Salvage Technician (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAJuly 13, 2018
Learned about the salvage process for insurance company recoveries on total losses, participated in weekly auction set up and auction process, met with appraisers
closed and moved to different state
Billing Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 9, 2018
wonderful place to work was in the bililng and i have made alot of friends there also they moved to another state and i should of taken the offer but decided to stay in the state i was in
I am not sure about where the company is going or how it is getting there.
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 3, 2018
I am unsure about the direction of the company.
The company has made several large aquisitions in recent years, and brought in an entirely new management team.
Their main focus seems to be on analytics, and time management.

My job cannot always be put on paper, as regulatory compliance is an ever-changing environment, subject to the whims of the various state insurance departments and Mother Nature, as natural disasters affect many of my regulatory filings.

I enjoy the confidence my immediate supervisor has in me.
I take regulatory requirements, design my filings, work directly with IT to develop programs to extract the information that I need, and work independently to complete the requirements of the various states.

I have no typical day, but let's use today as an example: I met with the Vice President of Rate Filings to determine any changes in the products we sell since 2014, in anticipation of an upcoming audit by Florida.

I put together a listing of all product forms for examples to send to Florida, and sent the listing to Policyholder Service to produce, so they could be scanned and uploaded to the Florida audit site.

I reviewed a premium file for one of our companies for the IT department, as we have been having some issues developing the file since a system conversion.

I produced our monthly accrual for the business Personal Property Taxes for our various district offices around the country.
Pros
I am basically independent, and work with little or no supervision. I receive glowing reviews for my work every year.
Cons
The direction of the company has become unclear, and there have been very meager pay raises during the last two years.
Non Stop Stress To Meet Unreasonable Metrics
Claims Adjuster II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 1, 2018
A typical day at work as a Claims Adjuster was non stop stress to meet unreasonable metrics. You receive your own full load of claims to work and be audited on, but on top of that in the name of customer service you spend the majority of your day answering calls for adjusters who are more often than not on the phone with one of your customers not so sure what is going on in the file. So the circle keeps spinning around. You actually wind up hanging up on customers or leaving them on hold in order for your phone stats to meet goal.

You learn to cut corners on customer service because all that matters is numbers, numbers and more numbers to upper management and their superiors who do not view you as a human being, just a direct report with no time to think and trying to do eight things at once.

Management sets unrealistic goals and metrics where it becomes impossible to earn a bonus or raise of any kind. Management appears to think if they keep raising the bar higher for adjusters to work claims files and non stop phones all will be well. It's not.

The workplace culture is one where when a gift card is given out you have to be in a high stakes competition or group activity. Rules change and there are favorites so even gift cards rarely come to fruition. Even worse - monthly birthday cake was taken away by upper management's superiors because we had to save time and money. For what?

The hardest part of the job was seeing so many fellow adjusters and supervisors either quit, be unjustly fired or go out on leave. You tried not to get to close to anyone even if they
  more... had decades of insurance experience because they might be gone the next week.

The best part of the job was - leaving it.
Pros
None to speak of
Cons
No raises or bonus, reduced overtime, extreme micro managing
Very vibrant environment
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 19, 2018
The best co workers, very team oriented. Benefits are good. Management is very accessible.Location can be difficult at high traffic times; undergoing expansion construction.
Pros
Co workers, salary and benefits
Cons
Traffic
Provide Support to Branch Manager and Marketing Manager
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 19, 2018
- answer phones, open mail, filing
- learned new system for entering marketing and licensing data
- worked well with all levels of management
- workplace culture was pleasant with friendly staff
- although a task may be hard at the time but I always consider it to be a challenge and make an effort to troubleshoot the issue or concern
- I enjoyed working the SF staff
Pros
Great Employee Health Benefits
Cons
n/a
They're out of business
Senior Underwriting Tech (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 17, 2018
Bad management caused their rating to drop to a B and nobody wants to write business with a B rated company. They went out of biz. Before that, they were great to work for.
Clearer vision...
Legal Assistant/Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 16, 2018
All new management has turned company around; hard working and eager to continue improving company image and name. Lots of new faces, company moving to new headquarters after 28 years.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Lots of changes
good company
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2018
Kemper was a good company when I worked there as I got to work with many talented individuals. the workplace culture was very relaxed and even though we had a lot of work to do we were never unduly pressured
A learning experience
Software Developer/Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2018
Kemper is out of the market, but it was one of the best companies I ever worked for. employees and managers were always nice and were always willing to help.

the hardest part is as always learning the new technologies and getting used to the new job culture.
Kemper evolved into Broadspire
Systems Analyst/PC Engineering (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLJune 4, 2018
Support was very structured and disciplined in methods. This allowed me to learn systems administration and server support. It was a very enjoyable place to work for and learn from. Eventually, Kemper became the company known as Broadspire.
Pros
Learning capabilities
Cons
required many off hours support
Changes with new management
Senior Adjuster (Former Employee) –  RemoteMay 25, 2018
With high turnover in management, environment was stressful and unpredictable. Lower management was great. Co-workers great. High turnover, good employees go elsewhere.
Overworked and a mess
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 25, 2018
The coworkers were great but my first day everyone was complaining it should've been a sign of how the job would be. Some managers are nice as people but no guidance they don't set you up to succeed at all, it's way too much work and not enough employees and no understanding from management that something needs to change. Impossible to provide good customer service when you have to work 12 hour days to get everything done yet they don't like too much OT. It has potential but overall not employee friendly, they don't care about they're employees or the customers, they say since they are nonstandard it doesn't matter. No growth opportunities.
Great Team of Employees
Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 16, 2018
Great growth and potential for a mid-sized insurance company. Large enough to have growth in a career, but small enough to recognize high performers.
Pros
Benefits, 2 retirements accounts
Cons
Many Changes