Kemper Employee Reviews

I really enjoy working at Kemper
Sr. Systems Administrator IV (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 20, 2018
Kemper is a great place to work with helpful, intelligent colleagues in a family based environment. Excellent benefits and compassionate managers. I will likely retire from Kemper.
Great place to intern!
Intern (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 20, 2018
I am a new intern at Kemper, and although I don't receive benefits until I am hired, I am very happy with my pay! The people here are all SO friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a stress-free, stable job, then look no further! Apply! I love it here! You typically get a half hour (unpaid) lunch, and two breaks, (paid). You can take an hour for lunch if you work an extra half hour. Very flexible schedule!
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits for interns
The worse place I have ever worked.
Team manager and litigation specialist (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAApril 19, 2018
I have been in the insurance industry for over 20 years. Kemper was the third company I have worked at. I am highly regarded in the insurance claims industry. Kemper’s upper management does not care about their employees. The expectations are unrealistic. Business is poorly managed. Policy count is out of control and they insure the bottom of the barrel. Claim count is through the roof. They are so desperate for employees that they put unqualified people in positions, including management . They do not counsel under performers and the high performers are not recognized. They’ve handed out 1% raises for the past three years despite how you have performed. It was the unhealthiest environment I have ever worked in.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
All of the abive
Worse place to work
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOApril 15, 2018
The managers are NOT real managers anybody can do they job, they choose favorites talk bad about you, it's middle school all over again. they don't know how to talk to their employees, let alone run things the place is raggedy every body that worked there has quit don't waste your time or life fakiest people you'll meet
Pros
Pto
Cons
No place to grow with company
Stressful
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 9, 2018
Overworked, stressful, lots of turnover. Would not recommend this company to anyone. It appears Kemper is closing the office and slowly pushing people out the door.
Company doesn't exist anymore
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMarch 23, 2018
I worked for Kemper Mortgage on a commission only basis. This, unfortunately, did not provide a steady income until after being very established in the company. I did not get a chance to do that because the company dissolved overnight and fired all employees the next day without warning.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
commission only, cut-throat
RUN from Kemper FAST
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 20, 2018
This Company has the worse Management and HR Dept. Once your in a position for a certain amount of years they will not advance you to new career opportunities within Company.. HR does nothing to help employees.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Management/HR Dept
12 years of torture
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 25, 2018
Every year it got worse, as the management came up with stupid ideas to improve the company. How about focus on keeping customers and not trying to rip them off. How about caring about you employees that are loyal, instead of laying people off every 18 months. The best day of my life was when I was laid off. I now have a better job, and realize now how poorly I was treated by Kemper.
Pros
My coworkers
Cons
Too many to list
Changing Environment
Internal Auditor III (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2018
Work about 8 hours per day. Many changes within the company due to relatively new executive management. The company continues to grow which makes for an exciting environment.
Solid Company
Human Resources/Compensation Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2018
Kemper is a solid company that has been around for a long time. Its business results are improving and its stock price has gone up. It has a good diversification of products and markets.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Unclear career paths

Want to know more about Kemper?

Ask a question
Can't Recommend
Manager (Former Employee) –  TXJanuary 29, 2018
Management is only concerned about the numbers and stockholders. Decisions are made that benefit the executive leaders and punish the average working man.
Worked with good co workers
Clerical assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 26, 2018
Kemper was an outstanding company till it was forced to close in San Antonio, TX. Worked with a good team and since it was a workers compensation and auto insurance every day was different. I did data entry, trained 8 workers, issued checks and distributed mail.
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Fast paced job
Numbers driven
HSIS Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 25, 2018
Quantity over quality is stressed each day/ hour. Trying to go paperless so there is no flow chart for new positions. Everyone will answer a questions differently.
Pros
PTO hours are generous. Good medical.
Good company & good job, but company went out of businees because of financial difficulties
Senior Fire Protection Engineer (Former Employee) –  Long Grove, ILJanuary 22, 2018
Good, challenging work with good supervision & good promotional opportunities. Good flexible hours. Satisfying work that made good use of my technical abilities and allowed me to participate in my part time position as Chief of the Long Grove Fire Protection District.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Company went out of business 2004
WC Claims Adjuster
Workers' Compensation Representative III (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 19, 2018
Great on-the-job trainings. Managers/Supervisors were great to work for. Great benefits, particularly education. Great working for this company/good working atmosphere.
Fun place and very nice people
Lead clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 15, 2018
I truly enjoyed working at Kemper. I learned a lot about insurance for cars and boats. I got promoted to a lead clerk for umbrellas which was fun to learn and to put in. I made good money at Kemper. If they would not have closed our department I would still be there working.
Pros
Benefits are real good.
Cons
Long hours sometimes
Management constantly rotating
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 15, 2018
Typical Insurance company with high turn over. Tons of office politics, but you can find a friendly group after networking with your coworkers. I would probably not work for them again.
run as far as you can
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  dayton ohioDecember 21, 2017
I worked in the Dayton ohio office, which is run by part time preacher ,who is the biggest snake oil salesman I ever worked for.he lied every day about product and leads.selling people a cash indemnity policy and telling them its health insurance.i don't know how he still has a license.they give you year old leads and try to tell you there brand new leads.run as fast as you can from here.
Pros
Cons
lies and misleading meetings
Could have been better
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 15, 2017
Management should have learned from prior years of poor choices and undermining employees concerns. It hasn't and thus they are in a position that is not ideal.
Decent company
Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 28, 2017
Very fluid organization with strong commitment to succeed. Many new leaders make alignment and communication difficult at times. Individuals are afforded plenty of opportunity to learn and grow but efforts are not always aligned or recognized.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kemper. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

1.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight