Kemper Employee Reviews

Management constantly rotating
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 15, 2018
Typical Insurance company with high turn over. Tons of office politics, but you can find a friendly group after networking with your coworkers. I would probably not work for them again.
run as far as you can
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  dayton ohioDecember 21, 2017
I worked in the Dayton ohio office, which is run by part time preacher ,who is the biggest snake oil salesman I ever worked for.he lied every day about product and leads.selling people a cash indemnity policy and telling them its health insurance.i don't know how he still has a license.they give you year old leads and try to tell you there brand new leads.run as fast as you can from here.
Pros
Cons
lies and misleading meetings
Could have been better
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 15, 2017
Management should have learned from prior years of poor choices and undermining employees concerns. It hasn't and thus they are in a position that is not ideal.
Decent company
Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 28, 2017
Very fluid organization with strong commitment to succeed. Many new leaders make alignment and communication difficult at times. Individuals are afforded plenty of opportunity to learn and grow but efforts are not always aligned or recognized.
High school all over again
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 22, 2017
Very cliquey. High work load. Two faced. Cheats pay. Cannot get straight answers. No consistency. Most supervisors act like they’re still in high school. I am unsure of the Kemper side but the Alliance United (AU) side is a joke.
Pros
Reasonable pay, benefits start the first day of the following month after start date
Cons
High school type environment
Company was closed in 2004
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33609November 20, 2017
The office was closed in 2004, no longer in business. All employees were laid off. Unsure if they ever reopened that branch after closing the doors.
Cons
Management varied greatly, some supervisors were outstanding while others were seriously lacking.
Sales Insurance Agent Position
INSURANCE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LANovember 16, 2017
A typical day was to go see your customers and get their payments and make new contacts with other customers I learned how to manage my time and give good,quality service. The management team was always helping you to advance if you wanted to. It was a great place to work in you must have a sense of humor and a thick skin to not let people being negative get you down.The hardest part about the job was getting customers to pay on time. Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people!
Pros
Meeting New People and building a relationship with existing customers.
Cons
Picking up the customers payments because they see their insurance as a debt
All Day in Cubicle w/out zero Employee interaction at all .
Underwriter/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 3, 2017
Job duties were change to Underwriter / Customer Service . Take 65 to 80 calls per day from Insurance Agents from Agency's on Underwriters questions on Auto policies qualifications and process new changes . Add vehicles, drivers , etc. Explain Billing to agents and customers , Make adjustment to Billing system, AS400. Its a Dos program that doesn't process changes and payments on real time. It overcharges or cancels policies or suspend by error.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Old Computer Dos Program w/200 Different codes / No Value Training
Great Benefits
Underwriter Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2017
Great Benefits
Good communication between management and employees
Good locatiom close to train bus
Great locatiom for car use
Hours
Located Downtown Chicago
Benefits
Cons
not enough to do
Productive and fun environment
Senior Underwriting Technician (Former Employee) –  Long Grove, ILNovember 1, 2017
I really loved working for the company, the agents, underwriting team, but unfortunately the company went insolvent. I really can't comment any further.
Harassed constantly
FNOL Rep (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 28, 2017
One of my managers described men unfavorably. Another manager asked me what the word for "gay" was in Spanish, and I was told not to report this to HR. Another coworker physically assaulted me and nothing was done. Total trainwreck of a company, and it shows in their stock performance.
Cons
harassment, gender discrimination
Was a great company but it no longer exists
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 27, 2017
This company is no longer around as it was transitioned into another company. It was a very good company when it was in operation. Kemper was transitioned into Broadspire some years ago
Poor management, unacceptable work environment
Employee (Former Employee) –  VAOctober 25, 2017
Don't care about there employees. Numbers are all that concern them. No room for advancement, pay scale is ridiculous! Lack of management support!
Pros
Pto
Cons
Lack of support
Not the most positive work environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 22, 2017
The work environment when I first started working at Kemper was very positive and then the management changed and it went downhill from there and the culture turned into a negative one. They did have a message that they wanted people's feedback but if you gave constructive feedback in a positive way or recommendations for improvement of processes they did not want to hear it. It is very much a "management by intimidation" mentality. Basically, just do what I say and shut up. Which is sad because the people that work there are really hard workers and good people, it is just the management that is bad.
Pros
The people that you worked with were hard workers with ethics
Cons
The poor management and their lack of skills in managing people
Approachable Management
Claims Adjuster III (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 19, 2017
Approachable Management in a fast-paced environment with future opportunities of promotion after working a year in your current role. Daily meetings with the team on the productivity numbers and areas of improvement.
Pros
Fast-paced environment
Cons
High turnover
Property Adjuster
Senior Property Adjuster (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 18, 2017
A typical day at work would involve receiving new assignments and working this work-load as soon as possible, in order to start diary log during the course of the day, Learned how to work as fast as possible, in order to maintain the diary system on a daily basis. Management would listen in on our phone calls and micro-manage by walking around and advising what we had not completed at that time period of the day. The hardest part of job was meeting up to the management's daily expectations. The workplace culture is one of fear of the unknown. In essence, what more could you have done to complete one more work project. The most enjoyable part of the job is obtaining a compliment, any compliment,
Pros
To Be Determined
Cons
To Be determined
Administrative Assistant/Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAOctober 16, 2017
Kemper was a good place to work, professional great co-workers.
Management was professional and communication within company was good. Learned a lot within insurance field.
Kemper insurance no longer exists
Underwriting Technician - Assistant Underwriter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 3, 2017
Kemper Insurance Company as an actual entity no longer exists. Filed bankruptcy in 2003. I enjoyed working there for many years as Assistant Underwriter. I loved my work.
Pros
Great Company to work for.
Cons
Company no longer exists.
Work day
Total LossAdjuster /Salvage Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 2, 2017
Always working on claims and there was plenty of training courses to assist you in learning the industry so you can further your carrier. opportunities are available for growth.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great place to work!!
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Moosic, PASeptember 19, 2017
I will soon celebrate my 7 year anniversary with Kemper and hope to be here many more years. I have worked for fortune 500 companies and small entrepreneurial companies reporting to the owner. For me Kemper is in that sweet spot where it is large enough that you feel you have a real company around you and yet small enough that you can see how your individual contribution moves the company forward.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kemper. Our community is ready to answer.