Kemper Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good company
RPA Developer (Blue Prism) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 15, 2018
Kemper is a good company that is adding other companies and moving people around. I'm ok with that and will do whatever it takes to get the job done. Kemper is a really good company, just re-balancing, probably for the better.
Decent pay but horrible standards!
Subrogation Specialist (Current Employee) –  DallasOctober 5, 2018
Good company to get your feet wet in the insurance business, but run afterwards.The management does not value their employees. They sweep a lot of things under the rug for their managers including harrassment.
Outside sales.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75232September 30, 2018
I enjoyed working for Kemper I like the dauly travel and interaction with customers and being able to share their concerns and encouraging the customers and promoting the insurance business.
Pros
outside sales
Cons
could use more encouraging and up to date computer equipment.
Toxic Culture in Subrogation
Subrogation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 29, 2018
Stay away if you value a healthy culture, team-building, team -work, care, and a focus on helping you development your career. The culture is very toxic.
Pros
Basically you can do whatever you like - no metrics or accountability. Pay is decent.
Cons
Poor management, poor culture, no leadership ( except one manager who the department was jealous of). He was firm, but caring ( I see that now).
stressful and no work life balance
Casualty Litigation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 28, 2018
Stressful environment, no good work life balance. There is a lot of turnover and managers are not clear about conveying the conditions of the working environment. There are lay offs that are unexpected.
Pros
location
Cons
upper managament
Not Good
Customer Service - Preferred (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 27, 2018
Do not work for this company. Management will lie in the interview to get you in. Short breaks for longs days. Micromanagement with unrealistic expectations. Unprofessional work environment. Horrible training.
Kemper
Claims Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 21, 2018
Kemper Insurance was truly home away from home. It was such a great place to work. Everyone got along great and helped each other succeed. Kemper is one company that I would return to without hesitation.
A typical day in the Legal Department is to Think Like A Owner
Legal Administrative Assistant/Audit Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 21, 2018
Everyday in the Legal Department you have to find ways to think like a owner. Some days it is a challenge, but I love challenge. I love to learn different type of task. The hardest part of my job is that I need to learn how to take lunch breaks.
Stay away from this company
Subrogation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 16, 2018
Gain some experience and move on. I guarantee you will regret working at this company. They do not care about their employees. Management is the worst ive seen in my working career. Turnover is EXTREMELY high
Pros
the pay is decent
Cons
no EAP, taking PTO is frowned upon, high turnover
Fun and friendly workplace
Policy Typist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 10, 2018
We have a busy Policy Typist Department
We handled all insurance lines; Commercial, Automobile, Personal, and Endorsements.
We deal with internal insurance agents and clients as well
Pros
Busy, but with good workplace and nice employees
Cons
Irate customers and insurance agents
Out of business
Commercial Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 9, 2018
Kemper was a great place to work. Lots of fun but challenging at the same time. Office was very close and everybody seemed happy. Unfortunately they are now out of business.
Pros
Nice place
Cons
Out of business
Not a great place to work
Liability Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 5, 2018
Kemper, was a great place to work. So many transitions,. When changes are made, upper management doesn't relay the info until a mistake is being corrected. The new information is discovered not relayed as it should. Lack of merit, and performance increases. Moral is low. Understaffed. Lack of organization.
Pros
Pto, Flexible schedule
Cons
No structure, too many changes with litte direction. No growth.
Went out of business
Cancellation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 30, 2018
The company was a great place work, but when the company went out of business. They did give reference and helped people with resources that helped them to find employment.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
When I worked there, we had a very diverse atmosphere
Underwriting Assistant/Underwriting Tech II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 29, 2018
When I worked at Kemper, I started out in the mailroom. I then moved to the Coding Department. While working in Coding, I had an opportunity to do some overtime for the HPR Department. I was told off the record that they had a position coming up for a typist. I accepted. About 6 months later I was offered a position as an Underwriter Assistant, which was later renamed to Technical Specialist.
Pros
Chance for advancement
Cons
Productive day with different and interesting calls each time
Customer Service Representative/FNOL Rep (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 24, 2018
a typical day consisted of answering heavy phone lines and placing either homeowner's claims or car accident claims. Each one was different and interesting. Culture was amazing, I met so many helpful and wonderful people.
Fast pace and stressful
Claims Representative III (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 17, 2018
Not enough employees to do the amount of work; always stressed. With the high volume of phone calls and claims it is too much to handle. You must be a individual that can remain calm in order to do this work.
Pros
I had a really nice manager
Cons
High volume of claims
Worked in salvage area
Salvage Technician (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAJuly 13, 2018
Learned about the salvage process for insurance company recoveries on total losses, participated in weekly auction set up and auction process, met with appraisers
closed and moved to different state
Billing Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 9, 2018
wonderful place to work was in the bililng and i have made alot of friends there also they moved to another state and i should of taken the offer but decided to stay in the state i was in
I am not sure about where the company is going or how it is getting there.
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 3, 2018
I am unsure about the direction of the company.
The company has made several large aquisitions in recent years, and brought in an entirely new management team.
Their main focus seems to be on analytics, and time management.

My job cannot always be put on paper, as regulatory compliance is an ever-changing environment, subject to the whims of the various state insurance departments and Mother Nature, as natural disasters affect many of my regulatory filings.

I enjoy the confidence my immediate supervisor has in me.
I take regulatory requirements, design my filings, work directly with IT to develop programs to extract the information that I need, and work independently to complete the requirements of the various states.

I have no typical day, but let's use today as an example: I met with the Vice President of Rate Filings to determine any changes in the products we sell since 2014, in anticipation of an upcoming audit by Florida.

I put together a listing of all product forms for examples to send to Florida, and sent the listing to Policyholder Service to produce, so they could be scanned and uploaded to the Florida audit site.

I reviewed a premium file for one of our companies for the IT department, as we have been having some issues developing the file since a system conversion.

I produced our monthly accrual for the business Personal Property Taxes for our various district offices around the country.
Pros
I am basically independent, and work with little or no supervision. I receive glowing reviews for my work every year.
Cons
The direction of the company has become unclear, and there have been very meager pay raises during the last two years.
Non Stop Stress To Meet Unreasonable Metrics
Claims Adjuster II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 1, 2018
A typical day at work as a Claims Adjuster was non stop stress to meet unreasonable metrics. You receive your own full load of claims to work and be audited on, but on top of that in the name of customer service you spend the majority of your day answering calls for adjusters who are more often than not on the phone with one of your customers not so sure what is going on in the file. So the circle keeps spinning around. You actually wind up hanging up on customers or leaving them on hold in order for your phone stats to meet goal.

You learn to cut corners on customer service because all that matters is numbers, numbers and more numbers to upper management and their superiors who do not view you as a human being, just a direct report with no time to think and trying to do eight things at once.

Management sets unrealistic goals and metrics where it becomes impossible to earn a bonus or raise of any kind. Management appears to think if they keep raising the bar higher for adjusters to work claims files and non stop phones all will be well. It's not.

The workplace culture is one where when a gift card is given out you have to be in a high stakes competition or group activity. Rules change and there are favorites so even gift cards rarely come to fruition. Even worse - monthly birthday cake was taken away by upper management's superiors because we had to save time and money. For what?

The hardest part of the job was seeing so many fellow adjusters and supervisors either quit, be unjustly fired or go out on leave. You tried not to get to close to anyone even if they
  more... had decades of insurance experience because they might be gone the next week.

The best part of the job was - leaving it.
Pros
None to speak of
Cons
No raises or bonus, reduced overtime, extreme micro managing