Kennametal Employee Reviews

Great place to work for with awards.
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 15, 2019
Typical warehouse job, pick/pack, receiving /put-away, and shipping.
The hardest part of the job is getting the products shipped by the cut-off times, otherwise the work is easy.
I learned leadership and team work as the management is easy going and can get along with. The most enjoyable part is benefits of being awarded for a job well done and the free food for perfect monthly safety.
Pros
Benefits and awards, saftey lunch
no communication
TECHNICIAN MACHINE SETUP/MAINT (Current Employee) –  Goshen, INApril 9, 2019
terrible management, do not know what they are doing and do not communicate, do not get involved with serious production issues, very terrible on safety .
Fast-pace with significant workload, limited resources
Senior Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PAApril 8, 2019
There is no typical work day at HQ. Lack of long-term strategy and lots of frequent fires. Executive mgmt is disconnected from those doing the work. The company is more concerned about meeting monthly & quarterly goals for shareholders vs. employees.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, local commute
Cons
High Stress level, lack of resources
Sinking Ship
Production Floor (Former Employee) –  Goshen, INMarch 19, 2019
When I first starting working for this company, I was excited, willing to cross-train, volunteered for extra tasks, and even work some overtime with the intention of eventually moving up since I was told from the day I started they promoted from within. Unfortunately, this is only true if you are a family member, personal friend, or general suck-up (which is rampant here - sons in laws, daughters, church members). Management is hired in with zero knowledge of what actually goes on. People are not held accountable for their actions or mistakes. Instead of a collaborative team, it's a toxic environment full of gossip, rumors, and backstabbing at every moment. No feedback from managers ever, and most internal decisions are based upon rumors. The people who make the most mistakes are given all of the time and attention, and the ones who work hard are ignored completely or threatened to be fired weekly. Everyone comes into work not caring if the plant is shut down that day, or half expecting it. Morale is nonexistent. This went from my favorite job to a place I had to give up on within 8 months. You can expect to work anywhere from 40-84 hours.
Pros
Flexible lunch hours and breaks
Cons
Worst morale ever
Face pace environment with great people to work along with.
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARMarch 11, 2019
Kennametal delivers productivity to customers seeking peak performance, by providing innovating customer and standard wear-resistance solutions, enabled through our advanced material science, application knowledge, and commitment to a sustainable environment.
Pros
Paid vacations
Cons
No breakroom or gym
Poor management
Screener (Former Employee) –  Goshen, INFebruary 25, 2019
Poor management. No team work at all. Place continues to go down hill. I do not recommend working here. The management is the worst and if you have any issues or concerns nobody will listen to you.
Very stressful work environment
Computerized Numerical Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Weldon, NCFebruary 22, 2019
Kennametal used to be a very enjoyable place to work. There was no turnovers, people came to work there and stayed until they retired or was forced out due some type of event out of there control. The momentum is none existing along with the morale of the operators. There is no room for growth or advancement there. The operators are not happy at all for the direction things are going in, nor do we have a voice in anything. Awful management.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Conditions in the work place.
It was a good place to work
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Asheboro NC.February 20, 2019
I was hired to do a job but I wasn't given enough time to learn how to check the completed parts.Overall it was a clean shop and everyone was real nice.
Pros
Nice lunch room
Horrible company
Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 18, 2019
I was let go 3 days before my baby was born. My wife was 40 weeks pregnant and they let me go 3 days before my baby was born for no reason. My manager (boss) was a joke and couldn't manage anything.
Good Old School work place
Application Engineer (Sn. Technical Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 16, 2019
A typical workplace but works very much on old school principles. need to adapt to new technology and innovation to change the way results are measured
great place to work
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  New Market, VAFebruary 15, 2019
Learned a lot there, everyone was very helpful, the plant was very well organized, so it was easy to go in and do your work with very little stress. Top Notch Place!!
Very large company that didnt lose site of opportunities
Senior Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAFebruary 4, 2019
Great company to work for that gave me an opportunity not to travel overnight while my kids were young. Always trying to make things better for employees from insurance to compensation.
Pros
Great experiance to work with a largre company with over 12K employees
Cons
Many changes to compensation packages
Horrible management and workplace
Warehouse Operator (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 24, 2019
Poor management team pay rate is low supervisors don't care about their workers I work here for 8 years and its has dramatically changed overtime we lost good workers and they don't get replaced badly needs a new management team the benefits and vacation time are the only pros. Too much favoritism going around also .
Pros
benefits, vacation time, holiday pay
Cons
management team, supervisors, workplace, pay rate
Small 3 shift company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Goshen, INDecember 30, 2018
Senior Management is horrible they show up and take a Dog and Pony tour pointing out things they have NO clue on. They run plants with minimal coverage forcing Managers to take more than there responsibility.Make you hold communication meeting with employees daily that are redundant and waste of time. Senior managers arrive at plant with no sense of your business. They allow Managers to hold positions that impact the everyday business that add NO value. There is no holding of accountability for under performing Managers. They promote within people with no education and zero related experience to the assigned position. They promote people within that have no credentials to hold the title.Current PM has an associates and zero years of experience in operations management. They talk safety but don't walk it.
Stressful due to long hours and layoffs
CNC Machine Operator/Setup 6 axis grinding (Former Employee) –  Asheboro, NCDecember 28, 2018
Very stressful environment due to constant layoffs while i was there, very demanding of production numbers with a low man to machine ratio. At one time I had to keep 7-8 machines going and keep up production
Pros
great insurance benefits
Cons
layoffs
Good Copmpany
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIDecember 12, 2018
Was a good company to work for, but with any sales job it can be very competitive and cut throat. They didn't seem to have an exact vision for the future as it changed often.
Management is a joke
Worker (Former Employee) –  Huntley, ILDecember 11, 2018
The biggest thing they need is management that has a clue.Having lead board meetings in areas where no one can hear is insane. Of course when the only object of the meeting is to hear yourself talk, then job well done.
Benefits
Cons
Management Games
It was my first job when I moved to Arkansas. Everyone treated me like family.
Rigger Helper (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARDecember 9, 2018
I started blending powder then got moved to continous improvement. It helped do what ever they needed to have done from changing diamond wheels on grinders to helping coat floors. To helping maintenance.
Pros
Many hours good people to work with
Cons
If you don't like OT then that's about the only con
Top Notch Company
Operations Engineer/ EHS Management (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILDecember 4, 2018
This company has given me the respect and education to further myself. I have also felt comfortable with dealing with the executives and management, as everyone is treated with respect.
manager
Production Manager/Shipping Manager (Current Employee) –  Irwin, PANovember 29, 2018
Shipping to domestic and international customers. Managing 25 union employees. Also project planning for other departments i'm in charge of to allow process flow.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kennametal. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight