Kennametal Employee Reviews

Prepare for ZERO guidance
Employee (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 27, 2018
Layoffs have company forcing to few employees to do the job of what was previously done by full departments. Huge turnover and exodus in intellectual assets. Don't expect any help on anything. Don't expect anyone to know what anyone's responsibilities are, when you are looking for key decision makers.
Great
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJune 13, 2018
Great place to work but young management,and that caused a lot of problems internally in the workplace with the older shift management. But overall it was a great place to work
Poor upper management. No clear outlook.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 29, 2018
Major disconnect between upper management and employees. It's all about how much money upper management can pocket before pulling plug on company. POOR overall morale in company. Stressful.
Pros
above average pay scale
Cons
stressful. no job security
Stepping Stone for next level at PNC
Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PAMay 27, 2018
Kennametal was an experience in which I went in hoping for a remarkable global industry opportunity. However, the environment and culture turned out to be something that I was not looking for in my career. With the culture turning into a very demanding schedule with little empowerment, I decided it was time to make a move. A promotional opportunity appeared back at PNC, and I decided to head back to where I started my career.
Great People at Kennametal, Managment not so much.
Service Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Asheboro, NCMay 7, 2018
I don't think I have ever work any place were I liked 95% or more of the people I worked with. The only problem I had was it was a temp position and I needed to be hired so I could get a larger raise in salary and benefits for my family. It is fast paced and very dirty but the people that work there are fantastic.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
temp job.
Nice enviornment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Weldon, NCMay 3, 2018
People are friendly, job is not hard but steady paced. Machines are simple to run and repair. I would recommend this job to anyone. There have good benefits and pay.
Good Employer
HR (Current Employee) –  PAApril 20, 2018
Kennametal has wonderful people to work with and I am happy to be a part of the team.

All are committed to being 100% safe.

It is a very ethical company.
A company going through much change.
Grinding operator (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARApril 15, 2018
It is a company undergoing many changes. Too much change and job instability. Automation and robotics are coming in and the current work force will be to large once finished.
Pros
Great benefits and competitive pay.
Cons
Undergoing many changes.
Opportunity to learn various machining
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Solon, OHMarch 16, 2018
There are many opportunities for you to gain a large skill set as you can move to different machines and gain some knowledge as the average person has been there for more than 20 years
Workforce is spread too thin
Engineering/Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, MAMarch 15, 2018
Great Opportunities but the Company has put too much on the Management positions post 2014 VSP. Several titles and duties fall on few and Corporate constantly pushes down additional taskings and programs to implement at plant level.
Na
HR Shared Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCFebruary 7, 2018
The company is antiquite and have a lot of paper. The people there are nice and its laid back. They take phone calls from employees regarding pay, benefits and address change. They have copier and fax machine
This company needs to trim some of the over head fat way to many people in middle management that add little to no value to this company!
Machine operator/programmer, (Current Employee) –  OhioFebruary 6, 2018
This company has a great product line and a solid reputation in the industry. Kennametal bought the company I worked for about 11 years ago and seemed to bring in new ideas and middle managers every year. They came in with there big ideas and plans that were never finished and would only cause confusion to the people on the floor. Just at my facility alone they brought in about 5-10 so called managers, production managers, production engineers and other fancy titled individuals that literally brought zero value or any reduction in lead times they tried to make themselves look needed and important to the ignorant management that usually bought it because they didn't know any better. That and the fact the management was only in the shop when showing off how great it was to an outsider other than that they played on there computers all day attending pointless mundane meetings. In fact the only thing they did do was create unecessary work and paperwork for employees to do that ultimately lead to less actual production time for machine operators. I'm certain the only reason this company is successful is because of the skilled machine operators that at my facility were forced to literally put work before everything. Managers and sales staff constantly put difficult to impossible due dates on jobs and would then wipe there hands of it and put all of the blame and responsibilities on the shop workers. For a machine operator it was an extremely stressful job because of the culture that they breed that you should be happy you have a lot of work regardless if it's realistic if you can  more... do it on time or not is your duty and responsibility to keep my promise that I made on your behalf. The managers at my facility were severely inept and only looked good because of the knowledgeable staff that was underneath of them. I loved my job until the new managers came in and made it almost unbearable that combined with the you never can do enough attitude ruined my outlook on this company. Taking people for granted is this companies biggest mistake in my eyes and I would never recommend any body to work here. If unless you enjoy being treated like your lucky to work here and your never good enough no matter how much you do basically don't expect many heartfelt pats on the back from this company.  less
Pros
New state of the art machines, decent wages and OT
Cons
inept management and middle managers, little chance to advance in career past what your hired in as
Great place to have worked for
machine lead operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 16, 2018
I work at this company for over 30 years. Very good company, great benefits. A typical day was busy and rewarding. Learned a lot from day to day. Great work ethics. Great place to have worked for, was very heart broken when the doors closed as this was like family.
Had a wonderful experience working at KMT
SAP Consultant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 10, 2018
Wonderful customer to work for. The HR SSC is well orchestrated with highly skilled and very knowledgeable workers. The best team to ask for. I would highly recommend KMT to anyone who is looking for a career change. Wonderful people and fast paced environment.
You never knew what would happen
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJanuary 9, 2018
I left in 2006 to go back to school, I felt we would get to retirement and get laid off. Some of the supervisors were there to cut your throat, and make you like it.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
Unsure working condictions
Manufacturing Analyst - Machine Automation (Current Employee) –  Latrobe, PADecember 28, 2017
Good culture, people are willing to help if needed. Salary could be better. Management generally listens if there are concerns which need to be addressed.
Collaborative, team-oriented, focused
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  OtherDecember 28, 2017
Great culture, fair and clear rules, challenging tasks and projects, appreciating individual's ideas, developing strengths, great management, fantastic and safe working conditions.
followed day shift ,told what jobs were next,set-up job ,then ran
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHDecember 21, 2017
Did a lot of training for new hires,learned new machines.Had chances to move on different machines .With all the new hires there were problems with quality and machine operations
Pros
good place to work, good pay and benefits
Cons
merit raises were low
the corporate office is fantastic
Materials Characterization Intern (Former Employee) –  Latrobe, PADecember 18, 2017
Honestly, after being in manufacturing, the corporate office of Kennametal was like Disney land. they have new up and coming technology and there is new research going on all the time. this is a great place, I only wish it was a stable company that was doing well.
Pros
its corporate
Cons
its not stable
Tooling
Tooling Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 18, 2017
I worked to keep all machines running parts, tested different tooling to maximize production at the lowest cost possible with the highest quality. I enjoyed my time with Kennametal but during that time, I relocated three times. The long term propects of continuing in any location was always tenuous.
Pros
Challenging work.
Cons
Unreliable for long term career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kennametal. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight