Kennedy Krieger Institute Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Office Specialist Johns Hopkins Baltimore MD (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 25, 2019
This was a great place to work helping Autistic children. Kennedy Krieger Institute gave hope and a set plan for parents who did not know what to do to reach there child.
Great benefits, but poor pay & high burnout rates
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 18, 2019
A typical day involves "being on" from the moment the students arrive until after they leave. After the students leave, meetings will be scheduled, eating up the little planning time you have.

If you are a hard, dedicated worker, be prepared to be taken advantage of by management. Management will work you until you are beyond burned out. Management will not explore ways to streamline procedures, improve interoffice communication, or take "lower" employees ideas or concerns into account when making decisions.

Burnout across disciplines, especially those who work directly in the classroom, is no joke. Due to high burnout, high turnover is not surprising and extremely common; new faces (especially amongst classroom staff) are nothing new. There is complete lack of compensation for doing your job and going above and beyond your job is barely acknowledged by management.

Despite the lackluster job culture/management, poor work/life balance, and despicable excuse for a paycheck, I have learned an incredible amount while at Kennedy Krieger, professionally and personally. (And the benefits really are amazing!) The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the wonderful students who attend Kennedy Krieger School. Building relationships with my students brings me absolute joy and happiness. Working with an interdisciplinary team allows for a unique dynamic and treatment approach of the whole child.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
High burnout, poor pay and compensation
Worse job ever !!
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 2, 2019
All I WILL SAY JUST DONT DO IT ESPECIALLY AT ANY SCHOOL ON GREENSPRING . There isn't any support from upper authorities. You will go long days with any sort of breaks.
Pros
Insurance, College Reimbursements
Cons
No Lunch Break, No Break, Low Pay, Very Intense Environment, Student to staff injuries, high turnover rate
Kennedy Krieger Institiute
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 31, 2019
Great place to work. I leaned a lot from the working with the educational staff. I was able to work with multiple cultures. The hardest but most awarding part was of the job was when discharging the patients.
Challenging work
Assistant Teacher, Kennedy Krieger High School (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 31, 2019
The typical day here is extremely challenging and can be dangerous. There is little appreciation shown by management and senior leadership. Additionally, middle management continues to expand while other positions are cut.
Pros
Great teamwork experiences
Cons
Pay is terrible for nature of work
Great Work
Information System Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 31, 2019
Typical day at work operates smoothly and stress free, Ive learned and mastereddifferent programs . Managements is very efficient and respectful, and it has a great overall work culture. Being a employee for over 10 years there is no hardest part of the job
Stressful work environment
Preschool Aide (Former Employee) –  Windsor Mill, MDMay 26, 2019
Kennedy krieger Pact looks good on paper but this is a high stress job. You do a lot of physical lifting and get pennies for a raise. Management is a mess and if you are a aid you do not receive any job training . The children are fun to work with also the nurses kick butt. But overall I would jot recommended this as a permanent work place.
Pros
The children
Cons
Stressful work environment, low pay, terrible management
Fast paced
Clinical Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Odenton, MDMay 22, 2019
Work environment that gives opportunities to learn, fun and outgoing staff that make the long days go by a little bit quicker. Fast paced environment.
High intensity, low reward
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 21, 2019
When I first started, I was told to never expect anything when you first start at work. You literally do not know how your day will go when you walk in. One day you're feeling confident and the next you could leave with a concussion, bruised arms, bite marks, or any other kind of injury. I appreciated the occasional coworker who tried to give me advice on how to make life a little easier there, but at the end of the day... I was always on edge because I was worried about my safety and the patients safety. But what really sucked was that I felt like the supervisors couldn't care less how hurt you get. To top it all off.. you're already working really intense work weeks and then they expect you to work overtime if you get called in for on-calls (which you will because everyone calls out) or mandatory overtime. And you're working Saturday and Sunday. And not getting paid a livable wage. So.
Pros
some teamwork with coworkers, patient growth
Cons
management, physical intensity, mental stress, scheduling
Life is what you make it!
Para Educator / BRA (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 14, 2019
I loved working in KKI's school program. This was the first job I've had where I got along with EVERY coworker and administrator. It's a very challenging position (paraeducator) but worth it ! I still work for Kennedy but I've changed departments and went from FT to PT. There is room for advancement and they pay college tuition if you're pursuing a degree that can be used at Kennedy. Work for KKI for at least 10years - they pay for your kids tuition also !
Pros
Students, coworkers, paid snow days
Cons
Stident behaviors, no vacation time -only sick and 2 personal, compensation
Fair working environment
File Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 12, 2019
I enjoyed my position as a file technician but the supervisor wasn’t very helping or tentative to the needs of the staff. I would work for Kennedy Krieger again, just not in medical records.
Great Beginning
Behavior Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 4, 2019
KKI is a great place to begin your career. It's a great group of people to work with and you can learn so much. They have great benefits with tuition reimbursement.
The experience sets the tone for any organization you plan to go to
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 20, 2019
I've been employed with Kennedy Krieger for the past five years. Great organization and culture. The most enjoyable part is working with my colleagues; they are exceptional in what the do!

Management needs help! Micromanaging is never a good look for the department.

The typical work day is fast-paced and I really enjoy the flexible hours.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Management could be better and salary
Terrible management
Document Imaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 17, 2019
Boss was a complete b*** the boss DJ is by far the wost of the worst. All the co-workers i worked with got along and made it a good place but when the boss would come around she made everyone feel pressured and made everyone feel like they weren’t good enough. She fired me 1 week before my 6 month period and she did this with a couple other people i worked with as well.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Terrible management
Kennedy Krieger Institute Employment
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Windsor Mill, MDMarch 16, 2019
It was an honor and very rewarding working at KKI while employed there for over 12 years. I've learned much, experience a multitude of interaction with my coworkers and parents.
Pros
Nothing but good reviews
Cons
Nothing about the place is bad at all
fantastic workplace
Assistant Medical Director - Center for Autism (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 17, 2019
great place to work
mission driven
team work
family oriented
patient centered
place to grow and learn everyday
very friendly and supportive workplace
opportunity to work with world renowned researchers and clinicians
innovation and path breaking work
A collaborative, fast paced work environment that promotes positive changes!
Assistant Teacher II - Special Education (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 30, 2019
The work is as they say: "It takes a special person". You must have the heart, patience, understanding, and grit for this work. It is draining, but one of the most rewarding jobs. Incredible benefits, but depending on your department and education, it may be difficult to advance. There are never enough people to get everything done, but at the end of the day, you will find joy in what you do. Making a difference in the lives of so many kids and their families is a blessing!
Hospital Security Officer # (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 23, 2019
This hospital has made a difference in the lives of so many families. My whole heart just warms up when I think about all the caring staff ans well as doctors.
Productive workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 26, 2018
Very fulfilling and productive workplace. I learned so much working with various units. Everyone is so helpful and willing to to go the extra mile. Wonderful place to work
Stressful but friendly
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 18, 2018
The salary isn't enough to sustain an efficient daily living expense. 90% of the employees have a second job or a roommate. The people that you will meet are friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kennedy Krieger Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight