Kenosha Human Development Services, Inc.

Kenosha Human Development Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Challenging yet fun place to work
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJanuary 22, 2018
Everyone was very friendly and helpful. There was always room for advancement opportunities and training was encouraged. Management was always willing to listen to new ideas.
poor
Disability Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIDecember 1, 2017
the culture is based on whether or not you are liked by the administration. the pick and choose who they want to advance and who they dislike. they turned down my unemployment benefits and i took itto a hearing and won. how about them apples?
Team Atomosphere
DISCHARGE PLANNER/CASE MGR (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIOctober 12, 2017
I enjoyed the team environment. The manangement didn't do well on keeping up moral. Sometimes it was long hours because lack of team numbers. I think it needs more manager support instead of pushing warm bodies to cover shifts.
Pros
Support family life
Cons
mananger favoritism
Fun place to work
Juvenile Crisis worker-Intern (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJuly 9, 2017
Since I am interning, I am being taught everything from ground up which is a benefit. I know that at the end of my internship in December there is a possibility for full-time employment. But that Only happen after obtaining a bachelors degree.
large client work load, everybody helps each other out.
Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMay 1, 2017
in a typical day at work you are expected to know how to open the workplace and do your own client schrueling. you are also expected to help out where needed.
their is an open door management style. were you can talk to your supervisor any time of day.
what I learned here is basic problem solving skills are essential to helping the client reach their goals.
the hardest part of the job is to try to keep the client motivated to reach their goals..
I enjoyed seeing a client reach the point were they no longer needed my services.
Pros
relaxed atmostphare, everybody helps each other out when nessary, free lunchs
Cons
have to know how to deal with all kinds of persnality types.
Office assistant and data entry clerk
Data Entry and Statistical Reports (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIFebruary 8, 2017
Performed intake interviews for an drop in center. After performing the intake used the information to update a database of users of the drop in center. Procedures used to enter data were optimized to greatly shorten the time involved in the processing of data. Besides monthly reports, the database of clients was finally brought up to date. In doing so the requirements for performing the job tasks were brought to a level that the needs for a part time staffer were no longer for the position.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Job proved temporary after projects were completed
Growing company
Treatment Foster Care Consultant/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJanuary 25, 2017
Great place to work. Diversity in work opportunities and opportunities to develop skills and experience in mental health, crisis and child welfare.
case worker (Former Employee) –  KHDSNovember 22, 2015
Co-workers were wonderful, very supportive. Supervisors were helpful and always willing to help out whenever needed. Loved working to hands on with clients. Administrative staff allowed everyone to do their wn work and lots of autonomy in the field, but willing and available to answer questions whenever needed. Wonderful training. Wonderful opportunities for professional growth. Great place to start your career!
Pros
Great training, supportive co-workers, supervisors, administation
Cons
Challenging clients but lots of support
Wonderful place to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WINovember 16, 2015
KHDS has been a wonderful place to be working and they are a very family driven company. They are extremely fair and understanding when it comes to family and personal life. Great atmosphere where everyone is so nice and down to earth.
THIS AGENCY HAS THE HEART!!! Family-friendly company with top-notch management
Psychiatry Clinic Manager (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WINovember 13, 2015
It's difficult to review this agency as there are so many aspects that should be explored. The most important aspect, as I see it, is how effective they are at their mission. They are the most effective at serving those in profound suffering who need help. It doesn’t matter how many other places turn folks away, KHDS takes on everything. They have "the heart" that every community needs.
Past the heart, the agency has the leadership. They do so very much with very little. Every dollar is managed to try to maximize the good that can be done with it. This is part of the overall style of management. My first memory of KHDS is the Associate Director telling me "everybody does everything, here" as she was installing a new lock and handle in the clinic. They live the words they preach.
Past management, the agency operates as a family. I sat in what is still the only holiday lunch that I've ever cared to sit in, where I was next to a front desk associate and a program director. Everyone is on an equal plane at KHDS. They will bend over backwards to make sure they care for each other, as well...which is seriously important as human services, let alone crisis work, is a high burnout field. They give it their all to counter the hardships.
With regards to the staff level employees, everybody knows everyone else. Everybody supports everyone else. From family life, which your leadership bends over backwards to accommodate, to continuing education, which most of the staff is taking part in, they want you to grow with them. When I walked into KHDS and was given a job, I was
  more... supported at my lowest point. When I had to leave for a higher salary, I was offered an open door policy to come back as they recognized my work ethic. I am not exaggerating when I say that once my credentials are right, I will be back there until my retirement.
The hardest part of the job is the nature of the work. I don't mix words when I say this is not for those who shy away from a challenge. Whether it's working phone lines, working in any one of their satellite facilities and programs, or working the front lines of crisis intervention, this is tough work. You see people at their worst, and not every contact is a success. But the successes make it all the more worthwhile. Another difficult part of the job is that the pay isn't top dollar. Now it isn't bottom dollar, either. It is comparable for other grant-funded, 3rd party-vendor services of a comparable nature. The people who are here are here for the calling. If your credentials are right or you work your way through an education, they'll have upward mobility for you. The insurance benefits / retirement is good.
The take away message that I believe KHDS stands for is that they are as invested in you as you are in them. They grow their own talent, and are the best at what they do in the community. I currently work for an entity with a budget that is exponentially higher, and yet it still cannot come close to the work that KHDS can do. If you are on the fence as to whether you are a fit, speak to their administration and staff and it will sell itself.
Pros
Does the greatest good, Family-friendly, supportive of the individuals' goals, amazing administration
Cons
DIfficult nature of the work / clientelle
Great place to work! Flexible hours, wonderful co-workers
staff (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WINovember 13, 2015
I have worked for Kenosha Human Development Services, Inc for many years and have no desire to leave the company as it is a great place to work. The company has a great philosophy in working clients and strives to meet the clients needs whenever possible. Management is very supportive and encourages staff to further their education. Would highly recommend working at this company. The only negative is that the pay is not the highest yet the flexibility in the work hours is priceless and worth remaining with the company.
Great place to work!
Employee (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WINovember 13, 2015
I enjoy going to work everyday, between the clients and co-workers, it is a truly enjoyable place. The staff is friendly, supportive, and fosters a family environment. There is room for growth, as there are many programs available to work in and the list is always expanding. At the end of the day, not only is there a feeling that you have helped someone make a positive change, there is the feeling that you are valued.
A job culture that cares for it's employees
Director, Community Intervention Center (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WINovember 13, 2015
I've worked here for 22 years and have had so many opportunities to try new and interesting jobs. Recently was hired as one of the agency directors which is a position I never thought I would ever have. My coworkers are all hard working, caring, and never give up even though we work in a field that is sometimes very difficult to manage emotionally. We genuinely enjoy each other's company. This agency began by seeing a need in the community and figuring out a way to meet that need and that's exactly how we do business every single day. We don't turn people away and I love that philosophy. We also know that people do better when they know the skills to do better so we teach them the skills they need to have better lives. This is something that has been influential in my personal life as well as my work. I would not be anywhere for 22 years if I did not like it so, clearly, this is a great place to work.
Pros
the people, the philosophy, the work ethic, the caring attitude of everyone, not turning anyone away
Cons
difficult emotional situations we see, lack of state and federal funds
employed at KHDS for 19 years. Great coworkers, supportive administration and opportunities to grow.
crisis intervention (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WINovember 13, 2015
Diverse human services agency, which gives employees of all experience and education levels opportunity to work and advance. The entire agency is structured around key operational theories with a least restrictive philosophy driven mission.
Pros
great benefits, family focused, supportive environment
Great non-profit organization
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WINovember 12, 2015
Working for an agency that cares about their employees and the community is the best work environment to be in. I have watched the directors down to the receptionist extend a helping hand to individuals in need. And seeing this happen has made the job worth waking up each day.

Working for a non-profits can mean low pay, but this agency makes up for it with the great work they provide to the employees and the community. If you love making money while making a difference this agency is the right place.

When I started working there, I was fresh out of college and needed a place to grow. The staff here made me feel so welcomed and cared for, that I have felt very comfortable and cared for, I also learned what my strengths and weaknesses are in a place where I was safe to do so.

When I felt I needed more training, I was able to go to the directors and supervisors, and they provided great coaching that has benefited me personally and professionally to this day. It is also reassuring the most of the supervisors and directors have been with the agency for many years and have a variety of knowledge that you need in the mental health industry.
Pros
Great friendly work environment, supportive staff
Cons
Pay is lower working for a non profit
Best place I've ever worked
Management (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WINovember 12, 2015
I've worked here on and off for years, off due to my personal life choices and trying out different career opportunities. I came back because I missed the support and camaraderie I've only found at KHDS.

I started off part time in a residential program for teens and advanced through the company over the years to a leadership position. Most people have worked their way up in the agency and stay for many years because of the positive environment. It is challenging work, and the pay isn't always as good as I could make in other jobs, but I stay because I feel we are given enough support and feel like a team.

No job is perfect. I have been given training in some parts of the job I really needed to learn. Most of the time it is a "learn on the job" type of experience. I always have people I can rely on to answer questions.

The best part of the job is my coworkers. Most of us have been around a long time and we can trust one another to help if needed. The hardest part is being on call 24/7 and seldom feeling like I'm NOT at work.

This is a wonderful agency that cares about its workers. The culture is positive and the expectations are high. We are expected to be professional, and so are the supervisors.
Pros
Great coworkers, lots of experienced staff
Cons
on call 24/7
Wonderful Culture, Great Place to Work
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Main OfficeNovember 12, 2015
Kenosha Human Development Services was a great place to work. I loved my co-workers, supervisors and administrators. KHDS has a supportive culture and truly cares about their employees. Excellent training. was a great first job experience. These people taught me how to be a good social worker
Pros
Great Culture, Flexibility for Employees, Supportive Enviornment
Diverse, go at your own pace, learning, fained expierene
Adult Crisis Worker (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMay 13, 2015
This job is very diverse, you are able to work with different people from different back grounds in life. I am able to communicate with my supervisor as well with other employees.
Pros
community involvemnt, hand on expierence
Cons
burn out if you don't pace yourself
internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIMay 4, 2015
Clients with developmental disabilities (and mental health). Great work environment. Supervisor was insightful. Worked part-time, in-home with the residents in their group-home
Pros
home-like environment
Cons
Limited Advancement, poor management, workload overwhelming, unfair labor practices - In certain departements the environment is extremely stressful
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WISeptember 11, 2014
Start of with several emails, voicemails, usual meetings, while responding to the priorities, several interruptions take place and unless you make physical contact with the needed team member unable to come to consensus to address the issue - very seldom can you take care of with simple phone call or email because of unavailability and them having same struggles with work load. Frequently rearrange schedule where it makes it difficult to meet client needs. Usually go with out lunch just to take care the priorities and usually have to reschedule or ask to be excused on something or another. Always feel as your efforts are unappreciated or most likely because of the atmosphere - unnoticed. To take care of the clients needs usual have to come in early or stay late which then you find yourself more behind than the day before. When finally come to a point to where you may be able to get to paperwork the office is so noisy and full of distractions only minimal gets done. It is as everyone only notices you only when they want something from you. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up and even though tried every type of strategy to resolve; come to the conclusion it is not you. Most of the Supervisors do not back you and only interested in how little they can do to get through the day - ironically they never miss a lunch and go through bouts where there absent for one reason or another more than there. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with clients and when they were successful even in the most minimal way see how proud they were and how the accomplishment  more... meant so much to them. Learned much on how awful persons can be and even though the job was in a helping profession, because of the greediness of the management the personnel becomes taken advantage and a product of state of WI employee at will statue.  less
Pros
Opportunity to gain experience, affiliation with community resources, various trainings are offered, however because of work load it becomes a chore, to attend one usually brings in paperwork to work on, which then takes away from the purpose
Cons
Can't trust anyone the Supervisors have false face, act as will advocate on behalf where end result is one to endure slow professional death, many manipulitive repercussiions to follow which develops into immature actions and into conspiracy, If don't fit in to click will be ignored & ridiculed, stress makes all feel inadequate, makes competetive and turns to negative rivalary, unethical practices occur

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kenosha Human Development Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight