Kensington Church Employee Reviews

n/a
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIMarch 29, 2019
not applicable because it was volunteer work and i was not officially employed by the church nor was i given employment opportunity to go further in the organization
Excellent staff! Holistically healthy
Troy - Student Ministries Intern (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIMarch 6, 2019
Interning here has been an amazing experience! I've learned so much about myself and my personal calling, at least for the next season. The staff here are genuinely interested in investing in the lives of interns and equipping them with tools and resources for self-development. My direct report was very accommodating with my school and work schedule and communicated clear expectations with me. I enjoyed being around the staff and collaborating with them on various projects and initiatives throughout the year.
The hardest part might have been staying intentional about tasks, considering this job requires more "creativity" than just meeting tasks. Would be challenging for someone who expects to have tasks assigned to them and completing objectives. More ambiguous.
However, the most enjoyable part is being able to talk to other staff members as if they're friends, trusting that they want to hear you out and direct you to people who can provide answers or resources. Great environment overall!
Pros
Freedom to create projects, tools and resources for self-development
Cons
Unsure
Great Internship
Care Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIOctober 31, 2018
The management was supportive and focused on your growth. Really made knowing yourself and how you work individually and in a group a priority. We took Myers-Brigg, Enneagram, Strengths Finder, and Emotional Intelligence tests. Really great environment to learn about leadership and the field that you are interning in. Like a family.
Pros
Free food, growth opportunities
Cons
Raise your own income
Very welcoming and casual volunteering work
Barista (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 9, 2018
I currently do volunteering work as a barista in the on-site cafe. My superiors and coworkers and very welcoming and friendly. Work environment is comfortable and satisfies my needs. Minimum time required to work in the cafe is once per two weeks but you can work for more days if you feel like you want to.
Pros
Free Drinks, Friendly Work-Environment, Very Short Work Time
Cons
Valunteer work means no pay and no benefits.
Don't work here if you attend church here; you won't want to go to church here anymore
Graphic Design and Photography Intern (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJanuary 11, 2018
Where does one begin....the management is a hot mess, the executive team (pastors, keep in mind) acts like they're high and mighty and often ignores people below them. The design team is constantly creating things last second because multiple departments forget to ask them they need things for that week/that weekend/THAT DAY. It is often stressful. You feel guilty complaining or acknowledging the flawed systems because they don't like to acknowledge that they're bad at management and don't act very Christian towards their employees. They use faith and Jesus as an excuse to pay them poorly and overwork them, especially interns who are unpaid.

I had attended Kensington as my church from 3 years old to sophomore in college (17 years). I was raised in all of the ministries - elementary school (k kids), middle school (breakaway), high school (edge), and college (18/29). I went every week with the exception of maybe three times a year. I was very religious and thought they were amazing at what they did.....and then I worked there. And I saw how awful of an organization it is. I no longer attend church there and stopped going after I ended my internship early on my own terms.
Pros
they do have great design for a church
Cons
work/life balance, poor management, arrogant/judgmental people, bad work culture
Great people to work with.
Kidcare provider at Kensington Church Troy (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIDecember 28, 2017
No room for advancement. Too many days off that you don’t get paid for. People that work there are great. Kids are wonderful. More structure is needed but love working with Christian people.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low pay
Contemporary atmosphere to learn about God
Discipleship Director (Current Employee) –  Windermere, FLSeptember 15, 2017
This is a great place to bring someone who has never been or has become disenchanted with church. It puts the skeptic and doubter at ease. No pressure to believe what everyone else believes and they don't condescend to those who don't agree.
Pros
Accepting and caring atmosphere
Cons
Limited physical resources at present
Flexible and efficient
Development Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 9, 2017
This is a positive work environment with love always leading. Teams are family and you work hard to finish projects of excellence. Organization is key as well as being stretched to a better version of yourself.
Dream Job
Student Ministry Intern (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 11, 2017
Kensington is a family environment, you work through the doors and you feel the love of your co-workers. They encourage a healthy work-family balance.
volunteer job as day care assistant
Daycare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, MIJuly 5, 2016
I would go in for an hour or two every sunday and watch over the kids. the ages ranged from birth to 20 months. the hardest part of the job was watching 10-17 crying kids for up to 2 hours at a time. We ranged in workers since it was a sign up sheet so we switch off.
Pros
good experience
Cons
A fun place to work that is full of supportive people and great leaders.
Graphic Design and Photography Intern (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJune 4, 2015
A typical day:

- Meet as a team first thing in morning
- Work on our designated projects
- Some require teamwork, not all
- Ask design team for criticism, help
- Submit work for approval

What I learned:

- Time management is key
- Working alone does not necessarily make work better
- It is so helpful to have a design team right there to ask for help and criticism on projects
- How to handle high stress situations

Management:

- Very supportive, they want the best for you
- Available when you need them
- Great leadership
- Appreciative of your work, good with praise

The hardest part:

- There can be an excess of team building games and time taken out of the day for being a social workplace
- Knowing how to work in a noisy and chatty work environment (the bullpen, not a cube)

The most enjoyable part:

- Having a supportive and fun team to work with each day
- Having the ability to be silly and not take everything too seriously all the time
- Feeling truly appreciated and cared for by your team
Pros
Great team building activities and skills, great leadership, fun place to work
Cons
Slightly noisy, sometimes distracting work environment