Kensington School Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fun workplace!!
4’s Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJanuary 18, 2018
I love working for Kensington School! I am posting this after reading some of the negative reviews on here. Kensington school works with the teachers to provide them with all the necessary tools and materials for their curriculum. The school grounds are beautiful at every location with the highest quality classroom furniture and materials. I have worked at two locations and have been very happy at both! My directors have always helped me with questions, and welcome teachers into their offices to share ideas! Kensington school also offers an hour of planning per day (while the children are napping) and I find this to be an adequate amount of time to get most of my work done! Kensington feels like a true school instead of just a day care center and that’s what I love about it! I am looking forward to continue advancing at Kensington School!
Pros
Free lunches, planning time, family environment, school grounds
Stressful Poor managed workplace
South Naperville - Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 30, 2017
I worked here for over two years and was fired for a simple one time mistake. Other teachers get away with 10 times worse actions. I would not recommend working here to anyone.
A company that understands work/life balance
Recruiter/Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILDecember 6, 2017
I accepted a position with Kensington after finding out about an opening because my son attends one of their schools. I loved Kensington before working here and I love it even more now that I get to see "behind the scenes". My peers create a positive culture to work in, much more like family. Kensington understands work/life balance. Training is on-going and we set-up our new employees for success, from day one, making everyone feel like part of the team. The safety and security of the children is our number one priority and that makes me happy as both a parent and an employee.
A place to grow your Early Childhood career!
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Multiple LocationsNovember 22, 2017
I came to Kensington School thinking it would be a stepping stone on my way to getting into a district job one day. Many years later, I'm still with the company. I have had many opportunities to grow and take on different roles within the company. In general it is an early childhood school that really wants to stay with the times and is constantly looking to provide the children in our care with curriculum and activity that will keep them busy and learning each day. Even in the youngest classrooms we have curriculum to help the children meet their developmental milestones. Each month they provide me with a curriculum theme and supporting documents so that I really do not have to spend a lot of my time searching for ideas to create my lesson plans. My director is able to order and get me all the materials I need for sensory and art projects so that I do not have to spend my own money for it. I have been able to teach many siblings over the years and really gotten to know some great Kensington School families. The parents really care about what happens in the school. Yes, you will need to clean off tables, take out the garbage and clean toys, but that comes with working in early childhood. If you are an early childhood teacher who really wants to teach and have fun while doing it, this is the place for you to be.
Pros
Curriculum that is not stagnant and opportunities for career advancement
An awesome place to work
Director (Current Employee) –  Naperville, IllinoisNovember 22, 2017
Kensington is a wonderful place to work! I have worked in this industry for nearly a decade and have never worked for a company with so much retention and room for growth. Personally, I have grown in my career starting as a teacher, growing into a director and now working from our home office. I also have two children who attend Kensington School and are receiving the best care and education I could ever wish for! Working at Kensington is working with family.
Pros
Room for growth
I have found my workplace home
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Charles, ILNovember 21, 2017
The expectations for teachers are high but reasonable. It means a lot to me to work in a school where I feel appreciated and am working with other teachers who enjoy what they do. I feel that my wage is good for this field. I am proud that I work at such a beautiful school. My director works hard and is always focused on the school being a place we can all be proud of. There is a nice sense of community at my school. Although I have only worked here less than a year, the directors, the teachers and the parents really make me feel welcome. I have worked at other schools and I know what it is like to work for a company that doesn't put the children first. I worked hard to put myself through college and I feel lucky that I found Kensington School. I can't imagine working anywhere else.
Pros
management, children, co-workers, parents, curriculum, environment, pay
Cons
A long drive for me, but worth it!
A Career I'm repeatedly thankful for!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Western Springs, ILNovember 21, 2017
I began working for Kensington after teaching in CPS. It was as if my life changed from night to day. This is truly a company who reinvents itself repeatedly to stay on top of educational trends, new technology, and the work environment itself. The newest addition is a 3D printer.

There are endless opportunities to grow within the company, IF you have the drive and passion for the field. There are clubs and outings sponsored by the company, which adds to the family feeling that Kensington strives for.
Pros
Positive work environment
Love my co workers and the amazing families we serve.
Infant Lead teacher (Current Employee) –  Western Springs, ILNovember 11, 2017
I have worked for this company for almost 10 yrs now and have very few complaints. The families that bring their kids are amazing and my co workers have been great. There is a high turnover because it is not what many people expect. It is not an easy job taking care of kids. Yes we do have to clean up the room while kids nap, get the lesson plans done, and attend to the kids but it works out. I wouldn’t leave this job unless I had to for reasons out of my control. Pay may not be great but it’s a job that is worth less pay to provide joy to a little one!!
Pros
Co-workers and families are amazing.
Cons
Pay is not great but teachers salaries are normally not great either.
I had a great experience!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Geneva, ILNovember 2, 2017
I worked at Kensington for a little more than 1 year before my family had to relocate. I loved feeling like I was a part of something special. As a teacher, I had great curriculum to work with. I loved all of the fun things our director planned for the staff. I feel like I could have grown into a management position if I had been able to stay. Training was great. I can see why I heard from neighbors in my community that Kensington was THE place to send your kids. It is truly a special place with great things happening for kids and teachers!
Pros
great friendly environment
Cons
very high expectations
Not happy
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 10, 2017
After a few years I thought It would get better. After being taken out of my classroom time and time again I realized, there is no consistency. Children moved from classroom to classroom and teachers get bounced around too.
It was hard on children and me as I tried to teach and had children from other classrooms in my room for the day.
Short staffed. Over enrolled and it seems all they care about is making money.
Cons
short staffed, out of ratio

Want to know more about Kensington School?

Ask a question
Do the families know that all employees get minumum wage?
Teacher assistantr (Former Employee) –  St charles ilSeptember 29, 2017
Families pay over $150 or more a day only to have their children watched by minimun wage employees
Who knows where the money goes. It's this way everywhere. Companies talk a big game but still staff with lowest paid personnel.
Pros
Cons
Pay
Poor pay and a negative corporate culture
Spanish & Yoga Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wheaton, ILJuly 5, 2017
Considering they charge $1500 or more per kid/per month and pay many employees $10 and hour, I feel the teachers are underappreciated. They do not retain most of their staff and many of us must work other part time jobs to make ends meet.
Great place to learn and grow as an educator.
Director (Current Employee) –  Kensington Schoo of the HighlandsJune 28, 2017
I have been employed by Kensington for the past 6 years, working at two of the area schools. After spending a year teaching preschool I was asked to take a director position at one of the sister schools. Upon completing a year teaching the outstanding curriculum I moved easily into a director position. Some outstanding facts about being a Kensington employee is how much they value teacher education and happiness. Many of the teachers on staff have worked in several of the sister schools as they have increased their education and qualify for other positions. Staff are encouraged to let upper management know if they would like to make a position change within the 9 school system making for happy staff reaching teaching goals.
Pros
Advancement within the company.
Great place to work!
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 26, 2017
I have been working for Kensington School for almost two years and I feel incredibly blessed to work for a company that helps you succeed not only at your job but as a person. I received an orientation and proper training to help me understand my job responsibilities. The curriculum is fantastic and supplies are readily available for the teachers. The management team has created a system that allows directors and assistant directors to focus on the daily operations and supporting their teachers which creates a a very positive atmosphere in the school. I not only enjoy my job...I love coming to work every day. So much that I look forward to the opportunity given to move up in the company. Kensington understands the importance of making the families and staff their priority of offering the best quality care for both.
Great Comany to Work For!
School Employee (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJune 25, 2017
I have worked for Kensington School for over 6 years. I have worked as a teacher and also as a director. All of the staff is great to work with! The curriculum is awesome as well! There are yoga, Spanish, and music teachers that also teach the children. This is something included in the tuition. Also, all of the curriculum is provided to the teachers, which is very helpful as a teacher. Kensington also has fun activities planned for the staff as well. It is a great way to bond with all the wonderful women I work with. If you are looking to move up in your career, this is a great company to work for. There is always growth to move up and I can see my career lasting at Kensington School!
Great Co-workers and Amazing Families
Teacher (Current Employee) –  LaGrange, ILJune 21, 2017
I have worked at Kensington for over 4 years and could not be happier! From the friendly co-workers to the wonderful families, I could not have found a better place to work.
The atmosphere is great. As a teacher, I love the curriculum, resources and assistance that is given. The staff are super friendly and very helpful towards one another. The families are caring, generous and overall very great to work with. The children are eager to learn and love art and playtime.
I would recommend Kensington to anyone that is looking to work in a fun, friendly and inviting school.
Pros
vacation time, paid holidays and room for growth
Great place to experience the finest in Early Childhood Education
School Employee (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 20, 2017
Kensington School offers many wonderful opportunities. As a long time employee, Kensington has become a second home for myself and my family. They offer an amazing curriculum with strong leadership to help and guide you in your classroom. The leadership and curriculum teams are continually looking for ways to enhance the learning, experiences and atmosphere for our young children. There are days built into our school calendar for educator trainings, certifications and professional development. Learning is ongoing at Kensington School, for both educations and young children. Truly a wonderful place to be!
Pros
Great leadership, strong curriculum, professional development opportunities
Wonderful Place to Work!
Director (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 20, 2017
I have been with Kensington School for 5 school years. I have worked as a classroom teacher, as part of the curriculum team and as a director in the schools.Along with different positions I have also had the opportunity to work at several of our locations. Kensington has provided me with the opportunity to further my career and grow as an educator. Overall, they have supported me and helped me to achieve my goals throughout the years and I feel like they care about me not only as an employee but as a member of their family.

The company seeks out employees (teachers, administrators, maintenance staff, cooks, etc.) who are passionate about early childhood education and providing the best place for children to learn and grow. They strive to provide not only exceptional care for children but the very best environment, meals, and education.
Great educational place for children to learn
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VASeptember 26, 2016
While working at Kensington I learned how to manage lesson plans for young children in order for them to grow and reach developmental milestones. The hardest part of the job was the distance it took me to drive to and from work. The most enjoyable part of the job was observing the children learn in their natural element and witnessing them reach their milestones.
Pros
Long lunch breaks, friendly people
Cons
No benefits, limited days off
Lack of Organization and Very Little Teaching Time
Teacher (Former Employee) –  MultipleMay 17, 2016
If teaching is a main priority and you have ece
credits/credentials/degrees you should probably look for work elsewhere. You will like this environment if you are purely into playing with the children and caregiving. Through experience, I learned that they are most interested in the infant to twos age groups and will often prioritize those teachers over those who work with the older age groups.

They have an amazing curriculum when it is used to its best advantage, but can be overwhelming due to the extensive amount of it. They also have a nice variety of “specials” such as Spanish, music and yoga.

You will be asked to come in on countless Saturdays for special events and normal days off such as Memorial Day will be working educational, in-service days for employees. You will also be given instructions for multiple classroom projects with very little advance notice by Kensington’s Head office.

The turnover rate is high (as with all daycare centers) and there is definitely a staff hierarchy system set by directors to favored employees and staff cliques.
Pros
Nice curriculum (when allowed to teach), Light, bright classrooms, Variety of extra-curricular specials
Cons
High teacher turnover rate, Very little time off, Lack of director/Head office support for employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kensington School. Our community is ready to answer.