KENT DISTRICT LIBRARY Employee Reviews

4.5
Ratings breakdown
Great work environment
Circulation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 11, 2017
Fun place to work. Co workers and patrons make this the best job. Great opportunity to advance throughout the organization.
Very fun environment with wonderful employees.
Librarian Duties (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJune 27, 2016
A day of work consisted of shelving books and other media. And helping locate items for library patrons. The day was either slow or fast depending on the amount of items returned. Every day was different but always fun.
Pros
Working with books.
Cons
Seasonal employment
The patrons and staff at the library made my job fun and exciting
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kentwood Branch LibraryJuly 29, 2015
I was a manager at the library for 15 years.
A typical week included:
Oversight of 12 to 15 employees, scheduling, vacation requests, library user interactions, employee training and evaluation, staff meetings, committee participation, time sheet verification and sign off, and I also helped out at the reference desk and with programming when needed.
I loved working with my employees and coworkers! I love working with the library users. I worked with a diverse population at the library branch where I was assigned. There were sometimes language challenges, but I found that patience and a smile could usually overcome issues.
Pros
The library staff is incredible. Their commitment to customer service is exceptional.
Cons
The focus of the library seems to be all over the map. Trying to be all things to all people.
Great pay, benefit options, bad manager, lack of support, very little opportunity for advancement
Circulation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cascade Twp., MIJuly 13, 2015
Working for KDL was mixed. I loved my coworkers, my job in general and I was paid great. The worst part of my job was my manager who was rude and degrading to the employees. When a fellow employee explained what was happening at our branch to the president, he did nothing, and so her tyranny continued. She honestly made me cry during my shift. There is also very little opportunity for advancement. Men staggeringly get the highest positions and the way they hire and pick their employees is confusing, sometimes they are loyal to internal applications, and other times they will choose someone who knows very little about the company.
Friendly, forward thinking group of enthusiastic workers
COMMUNICATIONS ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Comstock Park, MIJuly 8, 2015
KDL has 18 branches and a service center, they have a huge number of employees throughout West Michigan. Given the large number of workers, their communications are clear, responses are given quickly, attitudes are positive and you can tell that the people who work here, work here because they are truly passionate about their jobs.
Great place to work!
Circulation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 22, 2013
I highly enjoy working here at the Library, however the job security isn't looking so great in the next 5-10 years or so. You're also stuck in one spot, there is no moving up really. The hardest part of my job is the slowness, I like to stay busy. However it is a very fun work environment and my coworkers really are the best. Normally at work I will empty the "beast" (a.k.a. the book drop) multiple times throughtout the day. I try to get out on the floor as much as possible so I can interact with patrons. Wether i'm out shelving or doing some sort of report that is my favorite place to be. I really enjoy when my manager give's me random tasks to take care of and when she challenges me.
It's a great place to work and serve the people of the community.
Shelver/Library Aide (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIMay 7, 2012
A typical day at work involves mainly shelving books from carts. There are occasion when I may have to put books back that patrons have left around the library, or shift genre sections due to space issues. This job has taught me much about customer service even though I don't work at the front desk. I take pleasure in helping patrons find books they are looking for. All the time I have worked at the Gaines Township Branch, it has never felt disorganized or hectic. The hardest part of the job is keeping materials where they are supposed to be since patrons don't always place things back where they found them, but I enjoy shifting materials and keeping them in proper order.
Pros
flexible schedule, interaction with patrons, working at your own speed
Cons
there can be lots of carts to shelve, patrons can get in the way sometimes