Kent School District Employee Reviews

Nothing nice except pay.
Creative Media Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 4, 2019
I would not recommend working for a school district if you come from the business world. It is day and night difference and felt like I was stepping back in time to the 1950's. A friend of mine said his experience here was a "soul crusher"
Its an alright place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 14, 2019
The problems working for Kent school district are mostly the Leaders. furthermore there is quite a wide range of experiences to be had here between schools, because your experience can vary wildly.
Great Place
Administrative Assistant/Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 12, 2019
Loved my job and Working at Kentridge High. Staff is amazing and family oriented. Everybody works as a whole no matter of the position you are in. Studnets are amazing as well
bad leadership
EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 28, 2019
management at district level lacks focus and competence. people are not held accountable or promoted by ability to do the job. promotions appear to be based on time served in district.

non inspirational atmosphere
Caring and Supportive
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 17, 2019
I work at Fairwood Elementary in the Special Education Integrated Program. The staff is friendly, caring and supportive. You must be flexible and supportive of staff and students, It gets a bit hectic at times, that's where the flexibility comes into play. The hardest part of the job is students who have behavior issues, but you don't take it personally. You build a connection of trust so they know you are there to help and support them. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know the kids. They are all unique and wonderful in their own way.
Lots of Change
ELEMENTARY SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 11, 2019
Lots of change and challenges, good building support, difficult getting support at central office, nice staff, good location, good trainings, caring teachers.
Cons
Great People/Poor pay and lacking support
Physical Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 19, 2019
I love teaching, but I don't love all of the bureaucracy, lack of support, poor salary and expectations of free labor associated with public education.
Pros
Working with amazing people
Cons
Working for peanuts
Internship
Volunteer Full-Stack Web Developer | iGrad (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 15, 2019
Understands that both sides were there to help each other to achieve more enrollment from drop-outs and second chance recruiters.I have worked to develop iGrad's application page.
Depends on where you work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kent, WANovember 19, 2018
Depends on where you work and what your doing as a sub some schools and teachers are better than others. I had a variety of experiences depends on the children and what department your working through. Subs get treated better than paras in special ed. There are probably some paras that are treated well. the work life balance are good but you don't get payed for many of the days that you're given off.
Great innovative environment
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 4, 2018
I enjoyed my time with Kent School District. They are forward thinking in seeking out equity in education, this was very important to me. I enjoyed the staff I worked with.
It is a fun place to work
One to One IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 2, 2018
Even though I was not able to stay on with the company, I found that they are friendly people, that are welling to help you learn more. I enjoyed my time working there.
Pros
Great Learning Experience
Cons
Some issues with management
A great place to work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kent, WA 98030October 1, 2018
I had a very positive experience as a substitute teacher. I taught across many subjects in several high schools and always felt welcomed and appreciated.
Very nice place to work with.
Transportation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kent, WASeptember 24, 2018
I enjoy working there, great team and manager. I would recommend this place to work. I work part time only 1.5 hours in the morning and 1.5 in evening.
Easygoing environment
Administrative Assistant Substitute (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 31, 2018
I loved the atmosphere and everyone was easy to talk to and very friendly and helpful. I overall enjoyed the environment and working everyday at the different schools.
Leadership increasingly out of touch with community's needs
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 24, 2018
Because of the size of the district, a lot of the overall experience depends on which building the job is in. As a whole, KSD has a history of being a strong district with high standards. However, over the past few years, the district has struggled: the district's budget crisis has had a huge impact on its staff, ranging from departmental budget cuts of 20% in the 16-17 school year to the announcement of a proposed RIF of approximately 130 teaching positions in 2018. While the district didn't have to follow through with the announced RIF thanks to monies granted through the state legislature, KSD is still struggling to show transparency with its finances. In the summer of 2018, the district is showing a lack of ability to bargain in good faith with its teachers, despite the fact that many districts throughout the state are agreeing for cost of living adjustments that range anywhere from 11% to 26%. This means that the educators of KSD are continuing to be underpaid, especially compared to their colleagues in neighboring districts, which diminishes the district's competitiveness. Educators and staff were assured that the budget crisis would not be felt within classrooms by students, but decreases in resources, programs, and staff positions have had a clear and definitive impact.
Looking back
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 20, 2018
My job isn't easy. I get to work I take the children off the bus. I watch over them and prevent them from getting hurt or hurting anyone else. I assist the teacher and work one-on-one with students to help them develop the much need academic skills to grow. I enjoy it when the students come to realize they can do something or pick up a new skill.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
don't get paid enough to survive had to get a second job
Amazing Executive Director - Terrible Union and HR
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 16, 2018
Typical day at work supporting schools with students who had significant challenges
Learned to work without relying on management support
Management within the department was fantastic. Management between departments and in higher-level administration was atrocious.
Workplace culture was great within teams, however unstable at the district level.
Hardest part of the job was not receiving pay or support for extended work hours
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with a highly skilled team.
A good place to work for
Maintenance Associate (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 5, 2018
A good place to work. Make you want to work and work with other people around you tame work good people at your work and friendly make your day go by.
Convenient position for a student spending a large amount of time at school
Theatrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 5, 2018
As a student, it worked well with my schedule and allowed for getting introduced into a workplace with coworkers my age with extremely flexible hours.
Overall experience in the administration building
Paralegal/BECCA Truancy Liaison (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 2, 2018
As much as I liked working with youth and helping them it was very stressful for one person that represented the school district in truancy court. The school district is the 4th largest district in Washington. The volume of work for one person was to much and the pay was not that good for being a certified paralegal. I did grow with knowledge due to the outside governmental agencies I worked with and expanded my growth in the legal field.
The district might work for someone who's area is only education however given the drastic changes and the added volume of work and the reduction in workforce not sure how the district will survive under its current administrators.