Kent State University Employee Reviews

I Love Kent State
Sr. Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 14, 2019
I miss working at KSU. Although it could be a stressful work environment, I knew my job, I knew what was expected of me, I received annual performance evaluations, and there was a sense of teamwork among myself and my coworkers! I have made lifelong friends from working at Kent State and I would go back if the opportunity presented itself. I resigned because I relocated out of state.
fun work place
PhD Student (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 13, 2019
I like the city of Kent and the University. The work environment was very nice. The people in this university are working so hard to shine, and they working with smiles every day.
Really dependent on your supervisor
Summer Conference Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 7, 2019
A very fun active culture to work in. Professors were great for students. Advisors did well in my experience. Had some amazing times and terrible times due to the rotating door of supervisors I had while I worked there.
Amazing Staff
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 2, 2019
I loved working in the Math Department and will miss it dearly. The staff was so welcoming and caring. It is the first place I have worked that it really felt like everyone was supportive of each other.
Decent but stressful
ESL Instructor and PT Classroom Aid (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJanuary 2, 2019
Teaching the English language to those who know nothing about English is always stressful. The students made it fun. I never saw any managers, supervisors or team leaders during my time. I guess that meant I was doing a fine job. You're not paid that well unless you're on a track to be full time with benefits. You have to acquire a second job in order to make ends meat and have health insurance. Not worth it in the end.
Pros
Cons
Pay
Custodial work is hard work and a thankless position
Custodial worker (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHDecember 28, 2018
The people that you work with are friendly. The management team only sees that bad and never to good in your work. The free tuition is what most people keep their job for.
Very good
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Kent OhioDecember 26, 2018
excellent but it was one year only , it was just part time position due to emergency , I truly enjoy it bu it was limited for one year only , i did very good job to them as well.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHDecember 18, 2018
Some of the RHd's working under Res Services are a joke and they need to be fired. They don't have any intention of ever helping you and seeing how you are doing. They aren't very understanding of things that pop up into our lives and have no sympathy.
Engaging and Hands-On Experience
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Engineering Technology DepartmentDecember 9, 2018
As a student employee, I was required to maintain minimum grade levels throughout my employment. When not assisting the Senior Electronics Technician with various tasks, I spent time learning more about CAD programs, 3D printing, electronics, and networking. The management was handled by multiple people: the lead technician, office management, and director of the department. If I needed more time to study for classes, management would take time off my work schedule, as needed. Overall, it was a good learning opportunity that I got compensated for, as well as challenging, at times.
Pros
Flexible hours, understanding management, same work/school location
Cons
Low pay/hours required by the department
Good experience
Player Development-Internship (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHDecember 5, 2018
As an intern, this program allowed you to see the inside of what the position is really like. It allows you to dig into what you would really be doing in the field.
student
Student (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHDecember 4, 2018
good place to learn and educate oneself for a better future and a brighter tomorrow. great environment and amazing learning tools given daily. best investment
Best Work Environment
DevOps Engineer (Former Employee) –  OhioDecember 3, 2018
This Job helped me a lot in building my career and gaining knowledge. This position helped in gaining practical knowledge about the courses that were part of my Master's Degree. Practical work on AWS, Linux, Tomcat, Jenkins, ANT, Maven, Git helped a lot to understand the in-depth concepts which help in forming my career. I worked for a team where I am part of 6. We managed continuous delivery of the product with no downtime. I got a friendly environment where I discussed the development of the product with the Developers team.
fun place to work and meet different people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHDecember 1, 2018
What I like the most about working at Kent State was the diversity and the job culture. the hardest part of the job was dealing with the customers (mostly students).
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
don't know current structure
Associate Counsel (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHNovember 28, 2018
In the early years it was a great place to work. Employees were supportive of each other. Most situations got the benefit of the doubt. The number of Executive positions began to balloon along with egos, management built their silos and in the end was a cut-throat place to work.
Fun workplace
Financial Aid Rep (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHNovember 28, 2018
Helped current and returning students with financial aid questions and support. The most enjoyable part of the job was the work environment. Management staff was very active in employee development.
excellent
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHNovember 25, 2018
Kent state is excellent. The college of public health is amazing. The people and the structure are magnificent. Great place to learn and succeed, I have only great things to say.
Great for student work
IT Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHNovember 16, 2018
These jobs are really just intended to help support you while going to school. Its good to find meaningful mentorship from your peers while you are there, but this is not a long term job for most people.
Pros
Easy, flexible, new skills
Cons
Bureaucracy, drama ridden
Great Opportunities
Asst Director - Marketing / Sport Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kenet, OhioNovember 15, 2018
Many Opportunities, but a poor work culture. Culture is continuously declining with more budget cuts, more staff cuts, and not replacing those staff members.
Pros
Opportunities, great people, positive experience
Cons
Culture declining
Good place
Social Media Director (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHNovember 12, 2018
Good, fun place to work at with decent benefits. Kent Stated allows people the necessary tools to advance their careers into the beyond. I recommend Kent to anyone
Professional working enviroment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHNovember 5, 2018
As a student worker, I learned a lot.
Research at Kent State University is booming and get lots of funding from different companies such as NASA, Toyota etc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kent State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight