Kent State University Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Productive and nice working environment
OH (Current Employee) –  OhioAugust 4, 2018
Productive and interactive workplace. A very nice work area. The culture is also very nice. Small work group. Good communication and nice work space. Community interaction.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Not enough hours as of now
Good atmosphere, Low adjunct wages
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  North Canton, OHAugust 4, 2018
I love Kent State and all the good things that they do for the campus and surrounding communities. They try to keep the students engaged and, as a faculty member, you can see how much the University cares about the students. Unfortunately, it doesn't feel like the University cares as much as they should about their part-time faculty. We do not earn what we're worth and receive no benefits. As much as I would love to become a full-time faculty member, any vacant positions within my department are rare. So for years, I have been working at a full-time job elsewhere and hoping the University will throw me at least one class every semester just for a little extra cash and to keep my foot in the door.
Pros
atmosphere, campus involvement, student appreciation
Cons
low wages for adjuncts, rare faculty advancement opportunities
Fast paced work environment ... no work-days alike!
Senior Advisor I (Current Employee) –  Kent State GeaugaAugust 3, 2018
Typical day at work is mixture of several Student Services duties (Advising, Bursar, Admissions, Student Activities) at two separate locations. Great environment to gain experience in Higher Education Student Services.
Good Student Work Environment
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHAugust 3, 2018
I was a student worker in Dining Services, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere. I was an administrative assistant, and I got to work with executives and prepare actionable reports for their review. It was pretty hectic, but I enjoyed my time with them. It taught me a lot about the inner workings of the University and corporate culture in general.
Pros
Autonomous, good work envvironment
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Great experience
Division 1 Softball Student-Athlete (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHAugust 2, 2018
Kent State is a great place with even better people. Each and everyday you are surrounded by individuals who all have the same goals and desires and are eager to work together to achieve those goals.
Great theory, terrible support
Lead Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHJuly 26, 2018
As a lead teacher, this company provides all an ambitious professional could dream of. Free education and professional development, conference presentations, research collaboration - it is all expected. However, the support to follow through with those ideas is not fully formed. Expectations are high - so high that teachers must sacrifice their personal lives to a much higher extent than teachers at any other school I have worked at. Unless you are married and live locally, do not expect to receive compensation that you can live on.
My production of publications was well rewarded.
University Professor (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHJuly 25, 2018
I was able to have a successful career as the University was clear in what was required. Workplace culture allowed me to enjoy my building of a career.
Pros
able to work independently and was well rewarded for my efforts.
Cons
i was a student and it was a great learning experience
student (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJuly 24, 2018
excellent learning environment for a student, great teachers, interesting classes and many teachers are experienced in their field and know a great amount of knowledge about criminology
Great place to learn, but really demanding and pay is low.
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHJuly 16, 2018
The Child Development Center on campus is filled with incredibly talented and dedicated teachers. It is a great place to learn. Tuition benefits are a plus. The downside is the demands of the job - to publish, do research and continually advance in your education no where near match the salary.
Comfortable and Supportive
Adjunct English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Canton, OH and Tuscaraws, OHJuly 16, 2018
KSU is a comfortable and supportive college for adjuncts. Its English Department exercises more control than those of other colleges, but not excessively.
slow and easy
Radiologic Technologist, PRN (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHJuly 16, 2018
the flow of patients varies daily as well as exams. antiquated equipment and uneasy charting system to follow. no room for advancement. bonus for fulltime employee is college reimbursement
worked
Theater Design Technician (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJuly 15, 2018
worked daily, lots of fun lots of time to do homework while watching paint dry. Learned a lot. I would still be working there if I were still in school.
Amazing Experience
HAIR & MAKEUP ARTIST (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJuly 13, 2018
Since I was mainly at Kent State University as a full time student, being trusted in working on a show such as Macbeth for a senior project was one of the greatest things I could have ever done.
Tech Help Tech2You Technician
Tech2You Technician (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJuly 9, 2018
I worked as a Tech2You technician for 3 years while studying at Kent State University. The job was a great way to enhance my customer service and social skills because I had to help students with various technological issues. Shifts were 4 hours long usually at night and the job was very repetitive. We performed wireless diagnostics to test the download and upload speeds on campus whenever we were not helping students. The workplace was very laid back and everyone got along for the most part. Management changed quite often and wasn't always organized. We would work in teams of 4 usually as well. The hardest part of the job was consistently performing wireless diagnostics the whole shift because I felt helping people was a lot more enjoyable.
Pros
Laid back and flexible hours
Cons
Minimum wage with limited room to grow as a student
Great working environment
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJuly 8, 2018
Great job for college students. Great staff and hardworking students servicing hockey staff and guests. If your having trouble connecting with students on campus the job is perfect!
Pros
Management and staff
Cons
Great way to perfect your communication skills
STUDENT BEAT REPORTER (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJuly 8, 2018
Writing for Kentwired.com is a beneficial experience for any student. For me, networking came easy. I communicated daily with students, staff, and faculty. Networking off campus was also a benefit of being a student beat reporter. I communicated daily with Kent Police and met working professionals through events around the city of Kent. Being a student beat reporter strengthened my communication skills through interviews with both strangers and familiar faces alike.
Kentwired.com was also great exposure to a team-oriented atmosphere. The newsroom was a place to sit down with fellow staff for meetings to come up with new story ideas. I sharpened my skills to keep up in a fast-paced work environment. After all, being a journalist is demanding of your time, especially at a moment's notice.
good
Part time instructor (Current Employee) –  Kent, OHJuly 7, 2018
Kent state is one of the best unversity in northest ohio. It has good facilities and very close to cleveland. It has very nice library and very nice professors.
Overall management preformance
Custodial crew leader (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJune 30, 2018
Communications very poor. Management team approachable. Employees are not valued.Employees are treated unfairly.Management team has no idea of I that each building or area has different needs and requirements.
Pros
Stable
Cons
wages and manaement
Great job on campus
Associate (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJune 25, 2018
This was a great job to have while attending Kent State University as an undergrad. The hours were very flexible with your classes. Your coworkers are great too.
Enjoyable Student Employment
Student Clerical Worker (Former Employee) –  Kent, OHJune 20, 2018
Absolutely terrible pay for the amount of work, but very enjoyable job. Even as a student worker, minimum wage wasn't enough for the amount of data entry I was doing. I was doing work comparable to jobs where I had made $12 an hour or more in the past.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kent State University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight