Kern County, CA Employee Reviews

Working For Kern County
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 12, 2018
Culture require improvement. Stable, but challenging work. Hours are standard. Working environment can sometimes lack collaboration and substance. I'd recommend Kern County only to those who are willing to endure a challenge.
Pros
Routine work to familiarize one self with the work on hand.
Cons
Lack of training
productive, educational fun place to work
Departmental Aide (EH) (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 26, 2018
a great day everyday. got clerical experience. great management, hardest part of the job is ALL THE BOOKS! The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with different people.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
late hours
Division Commander (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 24, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working there. The management team was conscientious, professional and dedicated. The rank and file is made up of a diverse, emotionally matured, dedicated professionals .
Pros
Great culture and work environment
Cons
Lack of resources
A great place to work.
Office Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 15, 2018
I was fortunate to be able to call County of Kern my employer for 20 years. I was given to opportunity to learn, teach, be a team member, grow as a employee, and serve to community. I had wonderful supervisors, but more importantly, I had wonderful staff.
Pros
the benefits, which included retirement.
Cons
Wage freezes
County job maintaining County Buildings
Building Services Worker 3 (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 20, 2018
What can I say it was a County Job I advanced to a area assistant director was loving my Job. then Budget Cuts came and I was just a number and the layoffs were strictly to time in service if 3 more people had been hired after me I may have still been working for them.
Pros
benifits
Cons
no job security depends on the Economy
The classroom, where we talked to eacjother.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Kernville, CASeptember 19, 2018
A typical work day was really fun, I loved welding and building stuff, we would learn in the class for an hour about Auto Mototive., then we would go out to the shop and we would work on the companies, trucks and such.
I learned of the cooling system, Ignition system, the Transmission System. I also learned.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
hard work
Pleasant, friendly, anxious to begin
Office Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 8, 2018
I have been an OSS for 8 years. Anxious to transfer to another department to learn more.
Most recently, as an OSS in the Assistant Director's office; very confidential information.
Pros
To work with the public and personnel at CPS
Cons
I prefer to be consistantly busy, enjoy working. No down time.
I liked the work I performed
BUYER II (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 5, 2018
Contract administration. Accounts Payables/Receivables. I also had a commodity assignment for which I did bids, evaluated the products and awarded the contract.
a good place to work
laberer (Former Employee) –  Kern County, CASeptember 3, 2018
randstad farms was a good place to work,i was happy with both the pay and management .i was able to have a home life while working.they treated me with respect .
Pros
respect pay
Cons
far drive
Long Hours
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 29, 2018
This job requires you to work split shifts and at times you may have to work 16 hours and turn around and do it again. This job is very demanding but staff are there to support you.
rather not say
Child Support Officer III (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 12, 2018
rather not say as i am still employed at this time, but I may change this soon. This is currently a semi-pleasant place to work, but they push hard and the expectations are difficult to attain.
Fast paced job working with troubled families
Social Service Worker IV, V (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 10, 2018
Social Work is a special calling, and even more so with the department. It is a role of quick assessment, entering dangerous and uncertain situations, healing, giving, counseling with a listening ear, building awareness, advocating on behalf of the well being and safety of the child, and connecting vulnerable families to desperately needed resources and community interventions. It is a person who is able to work with the public, work with all kinds of people high and low, in order to connect the needy with solutions.

A typical day is very busy at the department. There is a saying that our in-box and voicemail will always be full. This requires organization skills, people skills, ability to multitask especially under pressure and high case load, while still balancing one's personal life and coping strategies.

The best part of the job is helping families stabilize and access resources that help them reach their goals. I loved keeping families intact, bonded, and safe with coping skills and life skills. I loved seeing my families out and about with news of no recidivism and a life with hopes and dreams to live.

The hardest part is being the messenger of bad news, watching a child go through trauma/loss/separation/abandonment/being unwanted/undergo further harm/trauma. It is also hard when personal life does not blend with or significant others do not accept the Social Worker's professional life. So, it is very important to take time for oneself, but most will complain that they return to work with even more work.

This is a special calling. It is not for someone
  more... looking for a J-O-B or cheap healthcare or loads of paid time to take off for your family's sick days. It is for those that run to fires (so to speak) rather than runs away from it. It is for those that want to serve others and do not intend to be rewarded. The rewards are not for everyone, as it is not monetary. Most Social Workers do not share what profession they are in, as the job often is not viewed in favor by the public and overall leads to emotional reactions, debate, or someone looking for personal advice. We like to say that we leave our work at work due to the stressful and challenging and heart breaking content of this profession.

A healthy, balanced lifestyle is very important, otherwise it is easy to suffer relationship problems, health problems, and Secondary Traumatic Stress.
Pros
Benefits, paid sick/vacation (that accrues and increases with vested years of service), flexible schedule, need for on call workers
Cons
Very fast paced, stressful work environment due to role to the public
Good work experience
Emergency Response Social Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 3, 2018
Good work experience to learn how to work with the community and their needs. You need to be compassionate to continue working here in order to provide good service to the clients.
They were clickish in my experience
Human Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 25, 2018
In my training, I noticed my training supervisors only trained the people they liked. If you previously worked at a bank or have worked in the same county, but in another position, they will help you as if you are one of theirs. I would go home and think about not wanting to get fired for lack of productivity. I was given more than 300 cases, and I had to keep a high productivity; but without the proper training, and the reports I would write (which were excellent) were not approved, and then I had to correct the work people in higher positions would mess up... I just went with the flow and eventually left.
Pros
pay and job security
Cons
They expect you to go in knowing it all
Hard work but very rewarding. Supportive staff.
Court Appointed Special Advocate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 13, 2018
Valuable non-profit in our community. The work is challenging but very rewarding. Staff is supportive and Advocates are a joy to work with. Medical/Dental benefits provided.
Working with the elderly and helping them stay in their home is very rewarding.
In Home Supportive Services (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 13, 2018
This job is one if the most interesting jobs that I have done. I thank God for the providers that enjoy helping the people who need help in this time of their lives. Beautiful and rewarding job I have had.
Pros
In this job no day is the same.
Cons
Always enjoy your time and work with the client.
Good Work Place
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 7, 2018
Workplace culture is good. It can range from fast paced to low paced depending on the general public's need. It's a smaller county department so job advancement can sometimes be limited
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Career advancement is limited
Fun Workplace
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 6, 2018
The personal here is friendly and can make your job fun! It isn’t hard hard to find a job because someone is always hiring. We have a vast amount of companies that can set you up with a job.
Pros
Easy to find a job
productive
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 29, 2018
daily interaction with supervisors
daily data entry
learned different tasks
scheduled appointments, scanned confidential documents
observed how interviews were conducted
Overall Fast-Paced
Eligibility Worker (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 29, 2018
Fast-paced environment, face to face interviews overall good job. File clearing, data entry, helping people who have fell into hard times on a day to day basis with different types of experiences in life. Helping provide benefits to the community.