Kern County Superintendent Of Schools Employee Reviews

typical government agency fraud
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mojave, CAAugust 1, 2019
Student work must be passing per Administration. Everyone gets a trophy (or diploma in this case). Struggling students not encouraged to learn age-appropriate materials, but given elementary school materials to learn. Then given standard high school diplomas. Never mind the fraud on parents, employers, and the public. Wonder why current graduates know practically nothing about history...or anything else? Thank a "teacher" at Kern Co. Superintendent of Schools. A real disaster...stay away! Tons of money for the teachers. Great job with little responsibility attached. Horrible for the public and the country.
Pros
Great salaries for 9 months of work
Cons
Expected to PASS all student work, ZERO accountability
Great
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 17, 2019
Hated to leave. Love working with special needs children. I can't wait until I am able to have my own classroom. Wonderful teaching and learning environment.
Terrible Management but Amazing Kids!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Court SchoolMay 23, 2019
The Administration treats teachers like robots that are supposed to hand kids books and have them read and answer questions. They are completely out of touch with how students learn and what is truly best for maximum risk students. Public schools have failed these kids for their lives and the Administration refuses to acknowledge that teachers are professionals and know HOW to teach and WHAT to teach to properly engage students. The micro management is appalling. Administration holds grudges and tries to find any reason for disciplinary action. If it weren’t for the students and a great relationship with Probation Staff, it would not be worth it. But, the kids make it worth the uphill climb to earn the professional respect we deserve.
Pros
The rewards of working with maximum risk students. Probation support.
Cons
Poor administration with horrible micromanagement and lack of professionalism
Kcsos
Kern County Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 24, 2019
It is a great place to work where you can find stability. The retirement options are great and the health care is great also. You will succeed at KCSOS if you are self-motivated.
Pros
Two breaks, hour lunch, and off on weekends
Cons
No internal internship type programs for individual professional growth.
Childcare department stressful environment
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 19, 2019
Very poor management. Condescending Director & bullying Supervisor. Must train yourself, they’re not supportive and do not provide most materials needed. A lot of favoritism. If you’re not brown nosing you won’t make it there.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Stressful work environment poor management and director
Great job
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CA 93301March 12, 2019
I had a wonderful time at Kern County Superintendent of Schools! Everyone felt like family in Wasco and visiting all of the class rooms was such a joy! The kids and their families were amazing too!
Pros
great job
Cons
non that I can think of
Fun Place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 11, 2019
I really loved this job. The teachers were all friendly and I learned a lot from them. Would definitely work for them again. They taught me how to be a great teacher even though I was not qualified to be one.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Not enough hours as a substitute.
Enjoy the job
Substitute Teacher/Administrative (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 21, 2018
I enjoy working with the kids. Unfortunately the trends in the US are degrading the educational system and the expectations of the children are at an all time low.
Fast Pase work with lost of fun people
Secretary I (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 1, 2018
Typical day we usually get there and check messages, e-mails and complete pending tasks.
We check with coordinators to make sure they don't need anything, follow that by working on the schedule for workshops for Personal Development. Everyone is supper helpful and ready to jump in to get stuff done.

The hardest part would be the constant change of personnel, specially the higher ups. Once we think they know our duties and they will work with us for good change, we find out they got another job or are advancing to a different position then we are stuck with more change and explaining our jobs to new personnel
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
constant change of Administrators and coordinators
A typical work day
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 28, 2018
Every day is different when working with special needs children. KCSOS is enrolling more behavioral students and there is a lack of support with upper management.
Pros
work 180 days/year, all major holidays off
Cons
lack of support with upper management.
Best job I ever had. Quiet, professional, and focused.
Database Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 13, 2018
Kern County Superintendent of Schools office gave me a chance and supported me in my professional growth. I have nothing bad to say about it at all. Good place to work, good people to work with.
Pros
Care about their employees, recognize results.
Cons
Can't think of one.
Cook/driver (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 24, 2018
Is a very pleasant place to work for, the are very understanding I love my job coworkers and supervisors but I need a 8hr job with medical benefits.!
Pros
Pay holidays and weekends off
Cons
No medical benefits for a part time employees!
Responsibilities of an instructional aide
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Sunset Blvd, Arvin, Ca. 93203May 21, 2018
Assist students with life skills such as eating, restroom, and interaction with others. Students are also assisted in their individual educational goals.
Pros
You learn to be patient.
Cons
Can get hurt by the students.
AmeriCorps Mentor (Current Employee) –  Buttonwillow, CAMay 7, 2018
KCSOS makes sure that employees have the resources they need to succeed at their job, and not only that, but they also offer training in different areas, which can help anyone do their job better.
Great Place to Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 18, 2018
This summer internship gave me a great experience of what to expect as a country worker. There is great structure and a great office vibe. This can easily be somewhere to continue working and grow.
Pros
Relaxed worked environment
Cons
Daily Business Attire
Great staffs
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMarch 6, 2018
I've learn alot from the students. Every child has their was to be taught well. See them achieve their goals in every day bases. All staffs communicate on their next challenge.
Pros
Great communication
Fair Employment opportunities
Program Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 30, 2018
The work month in my division is not the typical work month in other agencies. Our work weeks are broken up with various deadlines throughout the month. I learned to embrace change as our funding terms and conditions with the California Department of Education updated with the needs of the families we were serving. Our workplace environment was fun yet focused on meeting the needs of our families.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities
Cons
Travel to outlying offices during winter months
Hectic
State Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 25, 2018
It was a stressful, negative, hectic environment to be a part of. Management was not good at all and they were not supportive at all, especially when you needed something for the classroom.
A day at Aurora School
Substitute Teacher Grades K-12 (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 7, 2018
work included being sensitive to the work schedule that was already in place for the children.

Learned to listen to the exchange between assistant teachers who knew each child's style of learning and how to discipline them effctively.

Management liked the redirection method for children who had difficulty concentrating.

Creating a rapport that the children could trust within a short time period.

Creating a trusting one on one teaching relationship with children
Pros
close to home
Cons
when assignments were a long bus ride from my home.
Enjoyed working with special needs
Special Education Teacher- Autism 4th -6th grades (Former Employee) –  Kern County, CAJanuary 5, 2018
Loved working with special needs kids! They were the best and I learned a lot. Can be stressful to deal with classroom aides who don't want to listen to what you say because they've "been there longer" but overall a great experience
Pros
working with difficult classroom aides