Kett Engineering Employee Reviews

Fun Job, But No Guarantees
Test Driver (Current Employee) –  Oxnard, CAOctober 2, 2018
First off, management and fellow employees are great. They're there to help and answer any questions, and they're a great group of people.

But...There's absolutely no real incentive to stay working there. The hours aren't guaranteed (despite the fact that they're almost continually advertising for more 'Test Drivers', most of the Drivers only get an average of 3-4 days work per week, so I don't foresee getting MORE hours). Also you don't get paid holidays, sick-leave or vacation (and was told when hired that the company shuts down 1 week for Thanksgiving and 2 weeks for XMas/New Year's, so that's another 3 weeks without pay). Plus I'm pretty sure there won't be any performance reviews/regular pay raises.

Other than those, the job is enjoyable, if not a tiny bit routine and boring.
Pros
Get to drive new, well-equipped pre-production autos.
Cons
No guarantee of full-time work, no benefits.
Test Driver (Current Employee) –  Maricopa, AZNovember 20, 2018
Kett Engineering is a good place to work. There is generous time off depending on the customer location. Great advancement opportunities and decent benefits.
Pros
Generous time off.
Cons
Some politics.
It was a GREAT experience!
Durability Driver (Former Employee) –  California City, CASeptember 3, 2018
This was the best part time job I have ever had, all of the other drivers were wonderful to work with and very helpful and welcoming to new employees. They taught you everything you needed to know. I will always remember this job as the job I had the most fun with! I met so many interesting people there. From management to all of the workers it made my experience in California my most memorable of all. THANK YOU KETT ENGINEERING for giving me that opportunity. It was great in all aspects! The name I left with, Cotton Tail Commando and some called me Bunny Thumper! It was very memorable!
Pros
The whole experience!
Cons
There were none!
You get to travel with this company
Field test driver (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZFebruary 7, 2018
I love working for Kett Engineering because you get to travel and see new and different cities as well as test drive brand new prototype vehicles. If this job offered benefits and paid at least 15 dollars an hour and could guarantee work it would be the best job in the world. I loved every second of working with everyone and gained a lot of new friends.
Pros
Traveling to new states and cities
Cons
no health benefits, no sick time and no vacation days. Never knew when they would send you home due to no work.
Management never hears you out and they fire Hispanics for unworthy reasons.
Test driver (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAAugust 15, 2018
I think this job is horrible because they have fired Hispanics for minor things like speeding but other people who have crashed the cars are still there because of their ethnicity . It’s not right , people shouldn’t be racist that way ...
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Poor management, racism, low pay
if you like slow and it doesn't bother you that they are not truthful with you at the interview.
Test Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Wittman AZSeptember 20, 2018
I was told something completely different at the interview than what was happening on the job site. The people you work with are a great bunch of people, I will miss them. The work was easy and enjoyably. This job is not intended as a main job great for someone over the age of 59.
Pros
just the people and the work
Cons
They are not up front with you.
Less than part time!
Durability Test Driver (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 5, 2018
They call you only when they need you about 2-4 hours before shift. Very unprofessional place. They don’t care about anyone and their time. Times are rediculous. 4AM-1pm. managers choose who they like to call and give them hours. There are 1-2 weeks where you don’t even work!!! HORRIBLE! I would never work for them EVER AGAIN!
Pros
Driving nice, new cars!
Cons
Everything about the company sucks!
Good place to work.
Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 15, 2018
Work was easy, and slow paced. Lots of computer work while riding passenger in a vehicle. Lots of downtime. Good staff, closely knit. Hardest part of the job was the constant schedule changes every week.
Pros
Free lunch truck biweekly. Cheap vending machines.
Cons
Scheduling
Fun place to work
Lead Driver (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CASeptember 19, 2018
This was, hands down, the best job I've ever had. The culture is relaxed and easy-going and the people I worked with were friendly and fun. The work was fun and engaging, I was able to drive a wide variety of vehicles and provide useful information directly to automotive engineers.
Interestesting work.
Project Engineering Test Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 6, 2018
Company is interesting - it is a decent time fill job - if one is local. Not really a company that one is going to advance quickly in. Employees are replaceable - and reminded of that constantly -
Pros
fun and interesting
Cons
unstable - seasonal -
Driver (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAAugust 7, 2018
plenty of work during the season, coworkers were great, trucks new and beautiful. Management and engineers were great to work with. I gained a lot of great work experience and was able to challenge myself.
Pros
Lots of travel and OTR experiance
Cons
Not continuos work
Productive workplace
Test Driver (Former Employee) –  California City, CAMarch 27, 2018
All in all a great place to work. Good management and good employees. Pretty good work-life balance. I worked swing shift and enjoyed it. Lots of opportunity for advancement.
Really nice place to work
Test Driver (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZJuly 17, 2018
Nice facility and fun job getting to drive a variety of vehicles, management is very appreciative of efforts produced and works hard on trying to provide work hours
Pros
Fun job get to drive a variety of vehicles in different situations
Cons
Far distance to drive to and from work
This is a fun work place, but you may be laid off.
Durability Driver (Former Employee) –  Maricopa, AZJuly 30, 2018
First shift B, not A. I believe that second and third shift are pretty good, but first shift A is awful. They like to yell at their people, and that is not cool. This job should not be stressful in any way.
Pros
People are really nice, the job is easy
Cons
Winter is iffy and you may be laid off.
Cheapskates
Evaluation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chino, CAJune 22, 2012
I worked for this company 18 years ago and back then the pay was a whole $8 an hour to drive over 300 miles today and give a detailed assessment of the vehicle I was driving. After 6 months they offered me a 25 cent an hour raise for which I said NO. That was like a slap in the face to any employee.

Today as I was job hunting again I noticed they were hiring in Long Beach and they are still the same cheapskates they have always been. After 15 years the pay now is only up to 9.50 an hour. Automobile manufacturers pay this company a lot of money to put their future vehicles through a series of testing and yet they fail to see the importance of the driver.

I give a big THUMBS DOWN to Kett Engineering.
Cons
poor salary
McJob
Test driver (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAOctober 7, 2014
1) the pay is $9.50 an hour. Even if you've worked there for years. No raises. Bonuses are $25 for 500 hours of safe driving, then another $25 for 500, etc. However, since most of us have been sitting for nearly all summer, those checks are few and far between. There is a drawing for $50 after 45 accident free days, but this also includes the mechanics and engineers who aren't on the roads. Depending on the project, there MAY be overtime, but it's not encouraged.
2) safety issues with the vehicles are not resolved. Kett is too worried about their bottom line and keeping the customers happy to look out for their (contractor) drivers.
3) Morale is extremely low for the above reasons. Even the actual Kett employees are burn outs (borderline reportable comments to the drivers)
4) it is not uncommon for hours to be incorrectly input for paychecks.
5) you will be driving for 7.5 to 8 hours a day in LA traffic. If you cannot stand that, don't apply.
Pros
Mindless
Cons
No raises, no benefits, erratic hours, not a living wage
enjoyed working there like driving the cars
Test car driver (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 19, 2018
the job is dangerous only because there are so many distracted drivers out there. so we have to always be on the lookout and drive as careful as possible.
Pros
the driving
Cons
never know when you will work
A good job with a good supplemental income source
Driver (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAOctober 6, 2013
I was looking for a job that can give me a supplemental income with my steady pension. Kett Engineering offered that kind of job as a part time driver. The job is on a as need basis so you're not hired as a permanent full time employee that can get health benefits. The pay is minimal and the work schedule can be sporadic. So I don't recommend applying to this company if you are looking for a permanent full time steady work. The positions as driver is a good fit for maybe a college student or anyone who is looking to supplement their current steady income. Kett has been very accommodating to me in assigning my work schedule.
I like my co-workers that I drive with. And I like this type of job that does not have to deal with the public on a daily basis since that is what I did at my previous job.
Keep in mind that Kett Engineering is a good company with work that can be flexible but can be on a temporary basis.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Minimal pay. No medial benefits. Work on a as needed basis
2 hours the whole week, hired for 2nd shift, scheduled at 6AM.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COMarch 5, 2018
I was hired at 15/hr, but they advertised 16.5/hr. Hired for 2nd shift, scheduled 5 days off, day 6, 1st shift, even though I advised preference, and that changing hours makes people sick: pneumonia, heart attack, stroke, etc.
Manager completely DISRESPECTS people's health, switching shifts takes 3 weeks for body clocks, blood pressure to recover. Sleep deprivation not only causes strokes, and heart attacks, but premature aging, and diseases like diabetes, MS, and more due to use of stimulants to force performance.
WE were told you would have a week off with no work because the manufacturer would pull the car.
Pros
Hiring people are fast and efficient
Cons
Disrespect of your health, financial demands of life, irregular hours and lack of money to pay bills.
Loved driving all types of vehicles.
Auto and Truck Test Driver (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 8, 2013
Off site traveling and seeing all parts of the state and the country, I learned about engineering, good management, got a long co workers, hardest part of the job going home after my shift was over, most enjoyable the company and what my job entailed. On site the as above except seeing the state and country.
Pros
cheap lunches, lots of raises, emproving the auto industry.
Cons
getting laid off when the contract was done.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kett Engineering. Our community is ready to answer.